Move Powder

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Powder is that it only lasts a single turn... so if you opponent does anything OTHER than attack with a Fire-type move, you just wasted your turn. With Vivillion's defenses, that means you are either KO'd or getting set up on. Not too useful, but a fun gimmick.

If it does get distributed to Ferrothorn or Forretress, however, now THAT will be hilarious. Talk about mind games!
Powder goes away the turn it's used?
Oh, I just assumed the "powder" stays on the target till it uses a fire type move, then boom. It would have been nice to block the use of fire type moves.

According to the research tread the move still damages your pokemon, so I think it's likely that Blaze Kick simply missed

According to the research tread the move still damages your pokemon, so I think it's likely that Blaze Kick simply missed
bummer. so once the percent damage gets calculated, perhaps the bug users who gets the move can use it as a priority destiny bond on weakened (HP-wise) fire types

ariariadne

formerly Reinfleche
Defog removes all hazards and screens now, including those on your side off the field, rather than just those on the opponents side. It's essentially an unblockable (bar Taunt) Rapid Spin

Is there any way of testing if Volcarona gets powder? Not sure if Larvesta is friend safari or not. Haven't seen it yet. I mean, being Bug/Fire, it would see little usage, but it's worth a shot trying.
I've been told my friend safari has Larvesta. I could check it tomorrow.

Ok, I just want to point out because Ive been running Powder with Vivillion. I EV trained my vivi for speed so idk about priority. But it DOES cancel the move of the fire type used, only lasts got a turn, and deals minuscule damage. I consistently see about 10-15% hp loss and sometimes a random spike so it might be dependent of the power of the move it blew up

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
I can confirm that this is incorrect, Powder DOES block the opponent's Fire-type attack and deals damage, although I'm not sure what Powder's damage is based on yet. Powder is confirmed to be +1 Priority as well.

if on the same turn a non fire move is used instead, Powder simply fails to work? this would make for some good mind games. hard to speculate without knowing the exact mechanism of this move

Yeah, does it only apply through the end of the turn or till the target switches?
Because they gave it +1 priority, I'm guessing it's the former.

if on the same turn a non fire move is used instead, Powder simply fails to work? this would make for some good mind games. hard to speculate without knowing the exact mechanism of this move
It doesn't "fail to work" exactly. It will still say "Greninja is covered in powder" or whatever. The powder just never does anything, as far as I can tell.

Question: In a double battle, would it detonate fire attacks used on the target that turn? I'm thinking of Double Battles, specifically. If you use Powder with one Pokémon, then drop a Flamethrower on it with the other, would it set it off? Of course, the damage is apparently so minimal it probably wouldn't matter, but I'd still like to know.

I played around with this move at the Battle Maison. I used Vivillon and Delphox (both lvl 50) in a double battle. Some things I can say for certain:

- Powder lasts one turn.
- The effected target has their attack blow up in their face. The attack is completely canceled.
- Powder took out 25% of my Delphox's HP regardless of the attack. I tried it with Mystical Fire, Flamethrower, and Fire Blast. Same results. Also, I took out the AI's Lampent in four turns of consecutive Powder use, cause AI's are dumb and it kept using Inferno.
- Just tried pairing Vivillon with a Thick Fat Snorlax at the Battle Maison. Flamethrower took out 25% of it's health.

Edit:

It doesn't "fail to work" exactly. It will still say "Greninja is covered in powder" or whatever. The powder just never does anything, as far as I can tell.

Question: In a double battle, would it detonate fire attacks used on the target that turn? I'm thinking of Double Battles, specifically. If you use Powder with one Pokémon, then drop a Flamethrower on it with the other, would it set it off? Of course, the damage is apparently so minimal it probably wouldn't matter, but I'd still like to know.
An ally's fire attack will not set Powder off. The target has to be the one using it.

Last edited:
^ Perhaps Powder's damage is based on the damage that the user would have taken from a fire attack (kinda like Mirror Coat). This would explain why Delphox took the same damage each time, because any fire attack would have OHKO'd Vivillon regardless.
Or maybe it's like confusion, but based on the attacking stat used.

I'm going to have to say maybe video or screenshot proof is needed to clarify this as there are now 2 different results to wether or not powder outright blocks the incoming fire attack or not

i think DTC just misread something and reported it wrong. I don't remember Vivillion taking damage from the fire attack
He mentioned that a Slugma took less damage than a Pyrorar too. Do you remember the numbers, by chance?

I should mention the Snorlax I used was at level 22. Battle Maison doesn't scale upwards. I don't think the attacking stat or the level of the target affect the damage taken.

I'm going to have to say maybe video or screenshot proof is needed to clarify this as there are now 2 different results to wether or not powder outright blocks the incoming fire attack or not
Well, we've got one test saying it doesn't cancel the attack against a bunch of tests that say it does. I'm not saying a video is a bad idea, but I'm pretty sure the one test result was a mistake.

You could easily try it yourself if you have the game. It's not tough to get a Vivillon and teach it Powder through the Move Reminder. It only has to be level 12.

Rename the move and it will easily be one of the coolest moves on paper!
Yeah, I'm guessing the Japanese name was "Gunpowder". They could have at least named it "Black Powder" here. "Powder" just isn't very descriptive.

DTC and Raseri did some research on Powder as seen here and here (read the post below). In their tests, Vivillon still took damage from the Fire attack.
wat

can you read the post more carefully before spreading false information?

i said powder fails to work when it's used ON THE SWITCH. not that vivillon takes damage from fire attacks every time powder is supposed to work...

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
<dtc> damn it arcticblast
<dtc> please read better next time
<Arcticblast> dtc
<Arcticblast> I was referring to your response to Gerard's post
<Arcticblast> where it seems like he's only asking if Powder blocks the attack or not
<Arcticblast> nothing about a switch
<dtc> oh
<Arcticblast> tl;dr we both misunderstood something down the line
<dtc> i thought he asking for clarification on the exception

Seems like we both screwed up. Moving on~

So for clarities sake we can all agree that powder blocks any fire move the opponent may use on the same turn it was "powdered" with the addition of causing damage of about 25% max hp.

Someone mentioned that Blaziken took about half damage(although this may be an exaggeration). Can someone check if strong moves like flare blitz or stronger Pokemon in General like Blaziken take more damage for some reason to debunk this claim

Also, Powder vs Flash Fire + fire move could use test if it hasn't had one yet. As well as fire status moves (will-o-wisp). And also Powder vs Magic Guard + Fire move

Last edited:
So for clarities sake we can all agree that powder blocks any fire move the opponent may use on the same turn it was "powdered" with the addition of causing damage of about 25% max hp.

Someone mentioned that Blaziken took about half damage(although this may be an exaggeration). Can someone check if strong moves like flare blitz or stronger Pokemon in General like Blaziken take more damage for some reason to debunk this claim

Also, Powder vs Flash Fire + fire move could use test if it hasn't had one yet. As well as fire status moves (will-o-wisp). And also Powder vs Magic Guard + Fire move
Well, unless the Lampent that Bearcanine was testing against had Infiltrartor (Ha! On an A.I mon? Nope!), or, more likely, Flame Body, it didn't activate.

Does Powder trigger if Hidden Power Fire is used?

Does it work against a Grass-type (say, Victreebel w/Weather Ball in sun) or a Pokemon with Safety Goggles?

Also if a grass, bug, ice or steel type Pokemon or a Pokemon with dry skin uses a fire move after being powdered, do they take extra damage or super effective damage essentially?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)