Move Power-Up Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that Lucario is bulky enough to waste a turn using a 40-power move on an opponent for a mere 1.5x attack boost. I think Power-Up punch may be effective on Breloom if used effectively with substitute/spore, though using swords dance might be more effective just because it raises your attack faster. Assault Vest PUP isn't a bad idea (maybe predictable) and could really add brawn to your bulk.

I think basically the entire purpose of the move is to provide a way to set up and do damage simultaneously. I've effectively used it on my Mega Mewtwo X along with Barrier or Amnesia instead of using Bulk Up and Brick Break, like I said earlier. (Note: This is just an example of how the move can be applied.) With PuP and Barrier/Amnesia, I can take less turns to set up, and get the damage in sooner, or take more turns and get a better set up that gives me def/spdef. With Bulk Up and Brick Break, I have to take the extra turns no matter what to get the same boost. Then, afterwards, I get more power out of my move, but if I would have chosen to skip the def/spdef with the other moveset, I've lost three valuable turns. Just my opinion, but I like to kill them sooner rather then later.

I think basically the entire purpose of the move is to provide a way to set up and do damage simultaneously. I've effectively used it on my Mega Mewtwo X along with Barrier or Amnesia instead of using Bulk Up and Brick Break, like I said earlier. (Note: This is just an example of how the move can be applied.) With PuP and Barrier/Amnesia, I can take less turns to set up, and get the damage in sooner, or take more turns and get a better set up that gives me def/spdef. With Bulk Up and Brick Break, I have to take the extra turns no matter what to get the same boost. Then, afterwards, I get more power out of my move, but if I would have chosen to skip the def/spdef with the other moveset, I've lost three valuable turns. Just my opinion, but I like to kill them sooner rather then later.
I can see the logic here; better to boost and do damage at the same time than to allow your opponents free hits, right?

I can see the logic here; better to boost and do damage at the same time than to allow your opponents free hits, right?
Not necessarily.

Swords Dance creates a bigger boost, which will in the end, add to your total net damage more then P u P will.
Bulk Up & Curse both boost defense, meaning you get a nice increase to bulk as well, which can be used to set up more times.

The main drawback here is it's base 40 power. It's so weak it doesn't justify the damage output when you have other boosting options, even with STAB. It should only really be used on Breloom or when there is no better options.

Not necessarily.

Swords Dance creates a bigger boost, which will in the end, add to your total net damage more then P u P will.
Bulk Up & Curse both boost defense, meaning you get a nice increase to bulk as well, which can be used to set up more times.

The main drawback here is it's base 40 power. It's so weak it doesn't justify the damage output when you have other boosting options, even with STAB. It should only really be used on Breloom or when there is no better options.
Speaking of Breloom, I realized something. Spore and PuP go hand in hand. If you put something to sleep, unless they get first turn wake up, they'll either stay in trying to wake up or they'll switch. Nowadays I imagine the latter is a lot more prevalent since the sleep mechanics changed again (for the better I imagine) but still. If they're low on health and asleep you can start wracking up your PuP boosts free of charge if they stay in and you can hit them.

Not necessarily.

You give a good point. My way isn't always better. But it sometimes is. Mine works better if I didn't need the extra setup. Yours works better if you did need the extra setup. It's really just a trade-off. However, I am going to try using the other set, and see if it works better. Or worse. Though I predict it will be about the same.

Pangoro Iron Fist Power Up Punch.

5 turns = 702 power

Why has no one tried this alongside sticky web because of pangoros speed?

Pangoro Iron Fist Power Up Punch.

5 turns = 702 power

Why has no one tried this alongside sticky web because of pangoros speed?
Because all the opponents will cower in fear at pangoro's excellent speed and bulk allowing you to set up pup 5 times, and miraculously their flaming bird gets outsped and defeated while not even a SE brave bird can take pangoro out

Not necessarily.

Mega-Aggron and Tyranitar can utilize it well. Considering their bulk, they can survive to buff up their damage capabilities exponentially.

One of the best uses I've heard so far is to use it with AV. It still suffers the same problems, but it DOES allow boosting with AV. So that's probably one of the few places it might get real use.
Mega-Aggron and Tyranitar can utilize it well. Considering their bulk, they can survive to buff up their damage capabilities exponentially.
Those two would utilize AV+PuP really well.

Because all the opponents will cower in fear at pangoro's excellent speed and bulk allowing you to set up pup 5 times, and miraculously their flaming bird gets outsped and defeated while not even a SE brave bird can take pangoro out
....You really are out there, right?

Where did I say OU?

Where did I say any tier?

I was just throwing a strategy out there.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
....You really are out there, right?

Where did I say OU?

Where did I say any tier?

I was just throwing a strategy out there.
Because Brave Bird only exists in OU, right? Not to mention that easily exploitable 4x weakness.

midend is correct. Pangoro is too slow and and not bulky enough with no sustain outside of Leftovers and maybe Rest to be sitting there and spamming a low BP PuP. It runs contrary to one of Pangoro's greatest assets, Parting Shot. It has no business using Bulk Up or AV for the same reason.

Because Brave Bird only exists in OU, right? Not to mention that easily exploitable 4x weakness.

midend is correct. Pangoro is too slow and and not bulky enough with no sustain outside of Leftovers and maybe Rest to be sitting there and spamming a low BP PuP. It runs contrary to one of Pangoro's greatest assets, Parting Shot. It has no business using Bulk Up or AV for the same reason.
But Talonflame does, and thats the example he used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)