Move Power-Up Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power Up Punch might be good on Azumarill. With a Life orb and Huge Power it could hit steel for good damage seeing as it is neutral to them. One hit will increase its attack, 2 giving it a SD boost. From there priority Aqua Jet could potentially hit for good damage. If Rain is introduced into the equation then that would lead to a more powerful aqua jet

Power Up Punch might be good on Azumarill. With a Life orb and Huge Power it could hit steel for good damage seeing as it is neutral to them. One hit will increase its attack, 2 giving it a SD boost. From there priority Aqua Jet could potentially hit for good damage. If Rain is introduced into the equation then that would lead to a more powerful aqua jet
Why would you do that when it can belly drum + aqua jet?

Belly Drum reduces HP by 50% I would think even faster priority uses with a high attack or sucker punch can essentially KO it before it would get its aqua jet off.

Now that I'm looking at the list of Pokemon who get Technician, in hindsight this isn't that viable a move. Breloom prefers the more powerful Low Sweep or Bullet Seed depending and Hitmontop has better things to do than attempt to boots this way. All the other Pokemon, like Ambipom, have their own niches already in root.
Breloom doesn't prefer Low Sweep anymore... it's 65 BP now.

Sorry if someone mentioned this before, but power-up-punch would sync very well with assault vest, by providing a damage-dealing boosting move.

If Tyrannitar gets this, he could run:

Tyrannitar @ assault vest
- Power-up-punch
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Coverage

One use of Power-up punch allows him to boost his attack up to choice band levels while retaining the spDef boost from assault vest,

Physical Wall Chestnaught
Bulletproff Leftovers
Impish 252hp 252ded 4spded
-LeechSeed
-SpikeyShield
-WoodHammer
-PowerUp Punch

This will be my fun wall to run. Wht Power-Up Punch does here is allow me to take use of my base Atk stat, give me a plus one, and i can recover off most pokes with LeechSeed while using SpikeyShield for defense.

Mono-Attacking Medicham
Huge Power Leftovers
Jolly 252atk 252spd 4hp
-BulletPunch
-PowerUp Punch
-DrainPunch
-IcePunch/ZenHeadButt

Getting the plus one each hit is amazing! Perhaps using BulkUp is better but that is better for a maxed HP Medicham imo (or a subCham which even i use 3attacks with).

Terror Tree Trevenant
Harvest LumBerry
Adamant 252atk 200hp 56
-Rest
-Phantom Force
-WoodHammer
-PowerUp Punch

I shouldnt have to explain Lum/Rest/Harvest. Powerup punch lets this guy have every growing power while hitting incoming Dark and Ice types who wouldnt appreciate this hit from a 110base attack. I expect this tree to be low tier so PUP works great for it

Prankish Power-up-Punching Priority Protean

OK, this isn't going to take the world by storm but it may be a lot of fun to play in a tier where it can take a hit.
(Atk is decent and SpD is actually very good)

Brave Kecleon@Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
~Power-up-Punch
~Sucker Punch
~Shadow Sneak
~Return/+

+ --> Recover/Trick Room/Magic Coat/Snatch

With Protean (aka Color Change done right) Kecleon gets STAB on all its moves so they're all 50% more powerful than usual.
Power-up-punch to gain boosts and Sucker Punch for strong priority as well as good coverage with Fighting.
Return is there because it's the most powerful damaging attack that Kecleon learns and can get a solid hit on Fairies which resist most of the set.

Shadow Sneak is weak but it's cool.
When Kecleon is Dark or Fighting he'll be weak to Fairy and weak to Fighting when he's Normal or Dark.
Shadow Sneak allows him to become immune to Fighting and Neutral to Fairy with priority.
Furthermore, when he's Ghost he can become Dark with priority thus resisting his former weaknesses.
For hitting certain types with Return he really wants to 'outslow' them hence the -Speed nature.
It seems really gimmicky-cool on paper and I'd make one of these in a heartbeat. :P

Recover is an option in case Kecleon wants to operate in a more defensive capacity as a Special Wall.
In that case he could also ditch P-u-P for another attack such as Return.
Trick Room for support, Magic Coat/Snatch for non-attacking priority mindgames along with Sucker Punch.
You could probably mix and match a million ways and still be awesome. It'll be our new Dunsparce.

Right, so remember that Hawlucha Unburden set that was brought up in this chat? My friend and I had a silly battle that I got to pull it off but there's one issue... Did the mechanics of Unburden change? Because according to this replay I didn't get the Unburden boost after using Power-Up Punch + a Fighting Gem. I mean I swept his silly team nonetheless but that's besides the point.

Prankish Power-up-Punching Priority Protean

OK, this isn't going to take the world by storm but it may be a lot of fun to play in a tier where it can take a hit.
(Atk is decent and SpD is actually very good)

Brave Kecleon@Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
~Power-up-Punch
~Sucker Punch
~Shadow Sneak
~Return/+

+ --> Recover/Trick Room/Magic Coat/Snatch

With Protean (aka Color Change done right) Kecleon gets STAB on all its moves so they're all 50% more powerful than usual.
Power-up-punch to gain boosts and Sucker Punch for strong priority as well as good coverage with Fighting.
Return is there because it's the most powerful damaging attack that Kecleon learns and can get a solid hit on Fairies which resist most of the set.

Shadow Sneak is weak but it's cool.
When Kecleon is Dark or Fighting he'll be weak to Fairy and weak to Fighting when he's Normal or Dark.
Shadow Sneak allows him to become immune to Fighting and Neutral to Fairy with priority.
Furthermore, when he's Ghost he can become Dark with priority thus resisting his former weaknesses.
For hitting certain types with Return he really wants to 'outslow' them hence the -Speed nature.
It seems really gimmicky-cool on paper and I'd make one of these in a heartbeat. :P

Recover is an option in case Kecleon wants to operate in a more defensive capacity as a Special Wall.
In that case he could also ditch P-u-P for another attack such as Return.
Trick Room for support, Magic Coat/Snatch for non-attacking priority mindgames along with Sucker Punch.
You could probably mix and match a million ways and still be awesome. It'll be our new Dunsparce.
Believe it or not, a Kecleon like that is actually pretty good when I tested it. Unlike Greninja, it can viably use Protean as a defensive tool as well. It's great for killing Ghosts like M-Gengar, but sadly I feel like PuP is outclassed by Drain Punch with this set. I would suggest this:
Kecleon @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Ability: Protean
- Power-Up Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch / Knock Off
- Recover / Substitute / Iron Tail

The set handily 2HKOs both Gengars with Sneak and OHKOs with Sucker Punch without being KO'ed back and dents a lot of walls that it can set up a Sub on. Power-Up Punch definitely works to give it more power, turning 3HKOs into 2HKOs and 2HKOs into 1HKOs, and making it's priority more scary (although I still used Drain Punch). Knock Off could be used over Sucker Punch for more initial power and utility at the loss of priority. Actually, Iron Tail, even though its accuracy is shakey, hits almost as hard with Protean as Return and changes it to Steel-Type to force switches, deal with and KO most Fairies, and tank a lot of hits more easily, so it is an option. On a set with Power-Up Punch, reliable recovery with Recover is probably needed rather than Substitute.

Believe it or not, a Kecleon like that is actually pretty good when I tested it. Unlike Greninja, it can viably use Protean as a defensive tool as well. It's great for killing Ghosts like M-Gengar, but sadly I feel like PuP is outclassed by Drain Punch with this set. I would suggest this:
Kecleon @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Ability: Protean
- Power-Up Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch / Knock Off
- Recover / Substitute / Iron Tail

The set handily 2HKOs both Gengars with Sneak and OHKOs with Sucker Punch without being KO'ed back and dents a lot of walls that it can set up a Sub on. Power-Up Punch definitely works to give it more power, turning 3HKOs into 2HKOs and 2HKOs into 1HKOs, and making it's priority more scary (although I still used Drain Punch). Knock Off could be used over Sucker Punch for more initial power and utility at the loss of priority. Actually, Iron Tail, even though its accuracy is shakey, hits almost as hard with Protean as Return and changes it to Steel-Type to force switches, deal with and KO most Fairies, and tank a lot of hits more easily, so it is an option. On a set with Power-Up Punch, reliable recovery with Recover is probably needed rather than Substitute.
I love Kecleon and I'm so glad that GF threw him a bone in the form of Protean.
But... I thought Drain Punch and Iron Tail were Gen 4/5 moves, and thus incompatible with Protean. Or does Kecleon still get them as egg moves?
EDIT: I can confirm that Kecleon can NOT breed for Drain Punch, Iron Tail, and Knock Off-- these moves are illegal with Protean (as currently known).

It should also be noted that Protean Kecleon pretty much doesn't need Return; since it gets STAB on everything it doesn't need to run Normal-type moves that don't hit anything supereffectively, so you're better off just grabbing a coverage move even. Trick Room actually also sounds really good for Kecleon given how slow he is, but since he usually uses Priority I suppose it doesn't matter much.

It's too bad the bulk of Kecleon's powerful physical moves were gen 4-5 TMs or tutors, though. ;__; He would have loved that Iron Tail or Drain Punch. Looks like he's pretty much limited to PUP, the priority moves, and… uh… Rock Slide, I guess.

I wonder if Protean TrickBand would be any good.

Flygon is one Pokemon I've found PUP to be pretty good on (in-game, anyway, I'll test some Flygon sets on Showdown at some point). In-game I've been running Flygon with Assault Vest and P-up Punch and the extra bulk against special attackers helps him immensely in setting up with PUP. For Showdown, I'm thinking about some combination of P-up Punch and Defog or Roost, though he'll have coverage issues with his STABs in the current metagame… But eh it's worth a shot I suppose

Last edited:
I haven't been playing on the Gen 5.5 ladder, but I was watching some videos and noticing a LOT of Fighting Gem Unburden Hawlucha which is interesting as a cleaner.
I dunno if 5.5 means pokebank, but just so ya'll know as far as I know only the normal gem is accessable in X/Y without hacks. Sucks cause Hawlucha would be beastly if he had it.

I love Kecleon and I'm so glad that GF threw him a bone in the form of Protean.
But... I thought Drain Punch and Iron Tail were Gen 4/5 moves, and thus incompatible with Protean. Or does Kecleon still get them as egg moves?
EDIT: I can confirm that Kecleon can NOT breed for Drain Punch, Iron Tail, and Knock Off-- these moves are illegal with Protean (as currently known).

It should also be noted that Protean Kecleon pretty much doesn't need Return; since it gets STAB on everything it doesn't need to run Normal-type moves that don't hit anything supereffectively, so you're better off just grabbing a coverage move even. Trick Room actually also sounds really good for Kecleon given how slow he is, but since he usually uses Priority I suppose it doesn't matter much.

It's too bad the bulk of Kecleon's powerful physical moves were gen 4-5 TMs or tutors, though. ;__; He would have loved that Iron Tail or Drain Punch. Looks like he's pretty much limited to PUP, the priority moves, and… uh… Rock Slide, I guess.

I wonder if Protean TrickBand would be any good.

Flygon is one Pokemon I've found PUP to be pretty good on (in-game, anyway, I'll test some Flygon sets on Showdown at some point). In-game I've been running Flygon with Assault Vest and P-up Punch and the extra bulk against special attackers helps him immensely in setting up with PUP. For Showdown, I'm thinking about some combination of P-up Punch and Defog or Roost, though he'll have coverage issues with his STABs in the current metagame… But eh it's worth a shot I suppose
On the Kecleon position... I am so sad now. Granted I suppose it opens up more usage for something with a bit more coverage. Perhaps Flamethrower/Fire Blast to hit pesky Scizors that want to disrupt your hard earned "sweep"? Or is that Gen 4/5 because that's what it seems like...

I don't know about that, the draw to Flygon is it's speed, so setting up... It seems like more of a Dragonite move honestly. Speaking of, does Dragonite get PUP? Because that kind of set might be viable.

On the Kecleon position... I am so sad now. Granted I suppose it opens up more usage for something with a bit more coverage. Perhaps Flamethrower/Fire Blast to hit pesky Scizors that want to disrupt your hard earned "sweep"? Or is that Gen 4/5 because that's what it seems like...

I don't know about that, the draw to Flygon is it's speed, so setting up... It seems like more of a Dragonite move honestly. Speaking of, does Dragonite get PUP? Because that kind of set might be viable.
Special Fire moves are probably not a good idea on Kecleon, weak as his special attack is. My 4 SpA Magnezone doesn't OHKO the average Ferrothorn with HP Fire, for instance, and Kecleon with his much lower SpA probably doesn't make good use of them.

For Flygon, I think the main point is that Flygon doesn't have any other setup moves (other than Hone Claws which sucks on him and isn't worth using), although yeah, the Speed is a problem. I don't expect it will be particularly viable in anything but lower tiers, unless Flygon is running PUP + 3 attacks. Dragonite, though, has better things to be doing (namely Dragon Dance) unless it wants to run Assault Vest (which is arguably inferior to DD anyway).

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
keckleon's sp atk is pretty much unsalvageable tho. Even at +2, its sp atk wouldnt break through all that much. But maybe it will get drain punch and iron tail when the better tutors appear. either way tho, keckleon will always be one of the coolest reptiles. But that power up punch with priority moves in stab sucker punch and shadow sneak sounds great since 90 base atk is decent enough in nu.

252 Modest base 60 SpA + Nasty Plot is actually very very very decent. And Base 90 Atk w/ STAB Shadow Sneak AND Sucker Punc and not to mention the boosting move Power Up Punch and Trick Room For speed or Rock Slide for extra coverage.

Special Fire moves are probably not a good idea on Kecleon, weak as his special attack is. My 4 SpA Magnezone doesn't OHKO the average Ferrothorn with HP Fire, for instance, and Kecleon with his much lower SpA probably doesn't make good use of them.

For Flygon, I think the main point is that Flygon doesn't have any other setup moves (other than Hone Claws which sucks on him and isn't worth using), although yeah, the Speed is a problem. I don't expect it will be particularly viable in anything but lower tiers, unless Flygon is running PUP + 3 attacks. Dragonite, though, has better things to be doing (namely Dragon Dance) unless it wants to run Assault Vest (which is arguably inferior to DD anyway).
For the Fire moves I was more thinking along the lines of not being completely stuck against a Poke that can KO you with any of your regular types. In particular, Aegislash by itself is a hard counter to a Physical Kecleon because of Kings Shield, reliance on Priority and the fact its staple moves (Scared Sword and Shadow Sneak), if predicted on correctly, can and will KO Kecleon potentially.

As for Flygon, it is viable, I suppose, but you're probably better off U-Turning. ...Dragonite, I have literally no idea what I was thinking of last night. Caught me after an exhausting day of school.

Power up punch can have some amount of use on Assault Vest users looking for a way to set up. If Conkeldurr gets power up punch, for instance, this could be a potential use. However, in general it's too weak to be run effectively by anything.

So I've been running my mega Mewtwo X as a mixed sweeper/tank using the set Recover, Barrier, P-u-P, and Psychic. It has 252 atk EV's, 252 Spd, and 6HP. Docile. My strat is I throw him in against a wall poke, set up my def with Barrier and Recover, and then beat them up w/ repeated STAB P-u-P. Psychic works as coverage and STAB, and works well if they throw a physical wall. Aegislash is pretty much the bane of my existence though, having to hit him with x.5 Psychic, and a spec ghost type move would crush me. What do you guys think? Viable? It works great against the PL. He is pretty much the bane of walls, since P-u-P does more and more damage as you go. Also, I would change barrier/p-u-p fpr SD/Brick Break, but Mewtwo can't learn SD.

Last edited:
Might as well use Bulk Up and free a slot for more consistent moves such as Drain Punch, Earthquake or Stone Edge.

Might as well use Bulk Up and free a slot for more consistent moves such as Drain Punch, Earthquake or Stone Edge.
Except that Bulk Up raises them by one stage, correct? So it would take more turns to get my attack boost, and the way I have it, I can choose to take a few extra turns to get the defense boost if I think I need it.

Last edited:
Four words: Assault vest, Power-up punch
Besides Mega Khan, this is the only example I've found where p-u-p viable. Turning special wall sets like Assault Ttar and Snorlax into offensive power houses is something I can get behind. Besides that, SD and Dragon Dance and Bulk up are all better options.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)