Probopass (LV 2 Sturdy Abuse)

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/299.shtml
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/476.shtml

Nosepass - Rock / Steel

Base Stats: 60 / 55 / 145 / 75 / 150 / 40
Sturdy: The Pokémon survives at 1 HP by moves that KO it when at full HP.

The only moves you need-

HGSS Move Tutor:

Pain Split
Magic Coat

HGSS or BW
TMs:

Protect
Taunt
Toxic
Torment

Level up a Nosepass from HGSS in Mt Coronet, make it lvl 2 and it'll evolve! When you do, you will have yourself a Pokemon that can last forever, as long as your foe doesn't use Substitute or have really low HP, (and remember with a Level 2, base 60 HP, that wont be a problem for Probopass most of the time).

There are a lot of reasons this Pokemon makes a great Sturdy user.

• Immune to Poison, Toxic Spikes, and Sandstorm. When you are vying to survive an attack over and over at 1 HP, you don't want status or weather damage to get in the way. While Leftovers and Magic Coat can negate Hail and Burn, having an Immunity to the more common Sandstorm and Toxic Spikes really makes Sturdy abuseable.

• Resistance to Stealth Rock allows Probopass to negate the damage it takes switching in with Leftovers. While you must be careful to only switch in on a move that doesn't damage Probopass either directly or indirectly (such as Toxic, or Wish), you can maintain Probopass' essential 100% HP through Leftovers, meaning you can still use him without a Rapid Spinner. Say you have a Vaporeon to Baton Pass Substitutes.

• Access to Pain Split is what makes Probopass a useful ally to your team. Not only does it keep Probopass at such perfect HP due to it being only Level 2 versus Level 100 enemies, but it ensures it deals damage to your foe especially as Probopass survives a hit at 1 HP, and then divides your foe's 100% health Pokemon by about 50%. Not to mention any Life Orb, and hopefully Sandstream and Toxic (Spikes) damage racking up. Pain Split does good damage while almost healing unless Substitute or Taunt is used by the foe. While Toxic's advantage is that Probopass can still Pain Split a foe at 24% HP to stall, as Toxic kills it that turn. This means even at low HP Probopass can fully heal, and Toxic's build up of damage means your foe wont be at 5% before it dies, securing Probopass' Pain Split always refreshes Sturdy.

• Access to Magic Coat allows Probopass to maintain it is not only able to stop Status moves like Sleep and Burn, but always go first, allowing it to be at Level 2, and maintain its strategy. Magic Coat, unlike Safeguard, also has the benefit of sending back a Status condition that a foe targets you with, punishing possible enemies with their own attack, all the while keeping Probopass Status free, and probably letting them know they need to either switch or outpredict you. This allows you to Toxic their switch-in, or Pain Split them as they attack, all the while stalling as the Sandstorm, Poison, and possibly Life Orb damage adds up.

• Probopass requires very good prediction skills to be used. You want to Magic Coat when you predict a Status move like W-o-w, or an indirect damaging move like Leech Seed, or a move that can both damage and prevent you from carrying out your moves like Swagger. Probopass can really last as long as you want it to, just make sure you watch out for certain moves like Substitute which prevents Pain Split from working. However, if you manage to predict a Substitute Pokemon switching in, or think you can Taunt them the turn before they use Substitute, that's exactly why Probopass is packing Taunt. Taunt can force switches (opportunities to use Toxic on switch-ins), and forces foes to attack you, not only ensuring you don't have to predict as much (Attackers are just going to get Pain Split as you stall their Sandstream and Toxic damage) but it also means that foes like Blissey won't be able to use Wish to aid their allies, plus with such a low HP % remaining after Pain Split and Toxic, Sandstream's residual damage alone should be enough to KO her and other high HP walls that may otherwise cause you trouble as soon as the turn is over.

Here is a propossed Probopass set, remember, prediction is key, especially with Magic Coat. I put in Bold the reason for each choice of item, EVs, IVs and moves

Set Name: Pain Stall
Probopass: @ Leftovers [Hail / Stealth Rock negation]
Ability: Sturdy
EVs, & IVs: 0, & 0. [Probopass has 14 HP; 1 layer of Spikes/Leech Seed/Burn = 1 damage not 2 so it's negated by Leftovers without Protect. 5 Speed =Trick Room abuse]
Nature: (+ SpA, -Spe) [Trick Room ulities]

~Magic Coat [Reflects: Leech Seed, W-o-w, Swagger, etc.]
~Pain Split [Hurts foes, heals user; keeps Sturdy active]
~Protect / Toxic [Protect scouts and stalls for free Leftovers which helps vs Stealth Rocks; Toxic causes damage and switches]
~Torment / Taunt [Torment handles Choiced foes, especially with Protect; Taunt is Anti-Heal, Whirlwind, Roar, Trick Room, etc.]

[Commentary]

This set is meant to be abused on a Sandstream team with Toxic Spikes. The reason is Sandstream adds damage to the foe, as does Toxic Spikes, while Probopass can infinitely stall out foes thanks to Pain Split and Sturdy. Not only does Pain Split + Sturdy pretty much halve an opponent's HP the first time it is used, but it helps to quickly wear down foes that are being hit through their own Life Orb, plus Sandstorm, and/or Toxic Spikes. Sandstream Pokemon like Hippowdon also negate Hail, which can be problematic for Probopass. While he can survive an Attack at 1 HP, and use Pain Split to heal back up to full HP, and Hail's damage is negated by Leftovers, keep in mind that if the foe uses an attack and you mispredict and use Magic Coat, you will survive the hit at 1 HP, but Hail will finish you off. Use Probopass with a Sandstreamer so that if you mispredict, you're Probopass will survive at 1 HP, but can be saved for fodder later on (or switch in on something safe, like using Leech Seed on a foe then switching Probopass on say Toxic, healing him back to full health.) Sandstream also prevents Hail from negating his Leftovers if the foe set up Stealth Rock, you don't ever want Probopass below 100% health or else Sturdy wont save him.

If used to good prediction, this Probopass can truly stall against foes. Pack Sandstream, probably a spinner, and at least Toxic Spikes of your own. Hey, that pretty much means Hippowdon and Forretress.

With Magic Coat's priority, Probopass will be able to negate indirect damage back at the user even though he is very slow, meaning if the foe is not Immune to their own attacks (such as a Ghost using W-o-w), they will be hurt, and less likely to use that attack again. Taunt is to be used after Toxic, so you can Toxic a foe while it isn't attacking, then Taunt them the following turn; this way you Pain Split them while Toxic weakens them, while they are forced to either switch or continue attacking while you stay alive through Pain Split + Sturdy, the ultimate stall).

Pain Split is really what allows Probopass to do what it does- keep Probopass alive by reactivating Sturdy; also cuts foes HP by 50% each use. Just ensure you have good prediction with this set, as you don't want to Pain Split when they W-o-w, you want to have Magic Coat used at the right time.

Now the reason I chose Probopass vs Nosepass is because Probopass is Immune to Toxic/Toxic Spikes, Immune to Sandstream/storm and resists Stealth Rock.
Forretress could also be used but it doesn't resist Stealth Rock (while Probopass's resistance means it is negated by Leftovers if you switch into a non-attacking move and let Leftovers restore you to full-HP for Sturdy to activate), it evolves at level 37, and because it lacks both Taunt and Magic Coat to prevent Whirlwind, W-o-w, etc.

Probopass is meant to survive very well since Taunt does not stop Pain Split, meaning foes cannot Taunt you to prevent you from both healing back to full HP (for Sturdy to activate again next turn keeping you alive), which also means that it cannot prevent you from lowering your foe's HP either (since a Level 2 Probopass even at full HP after Pain Split will pretty much divide your opponent's HP in half).

why admirable, it will just take TOO LONG to win, with random battles being timed now. i still like the idea though, an "immortal" poke, so to speak.

Probopass is one of my favorite gen 4 pokemon, I didn't connect the dots and realize Sturdy's newfound value on him. He's a greatly underrated UU/NU special wall.

Thank you. I really thought hard about this... It required a Stealth Rocks resistant Pokemon, a Pokemon with Pain Split, and a Pokemon resistant to at least 1/2 damaging weathers while having Sturdy. Thankfully Probopass fit the bill while also Immune to Toxic/Spikes. Sandstream being the more common weather, was an even better reason to use Probopass due to his Immunity.

TSS spikes teams were common in Adv, and used in DPPt, so I am excited Probopass wont require anything too new or drastic for use.

Doesn't matter, unlimited Wi-Fi matches (i.e. with friend codes) don't have a timer. I haven't read anything ingame about a timer on the flat rule / random matches either.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I love this!

I have been trying to think of ways to abuse Sturdy, but I didnt come up with anything worth mentioning.

It obviously has its issues, but I could really see this cutting an unprepared team to shreds, and it would be absolutely hilarious..

Brilliant!

Have a nice day.

Thank you! I hoped for something like this and its eventually just clicked! I am glad I am not the only 1 who sees its potential.

I think with proper support in Sandstream, and Toxic Spikes, it can ruin teams, especially with the many new Abilities and Pokemon now available that benefit from Sandstorm. Additionally, unlike many other teams, it doesn't hurt to choose Tyranitar over Hippowdon, since typing wont matter when Pain Split + Sturdy negate the need for Pokemon sharing weaknesses; yet another advantage.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I can confirm that it does. Though that may have been with switches inbetween.. Anyway, it has been posted in the research thread that it does.

Have a nice day.

Set and OP edited to follow format. Move list is incorporated with all 4 moves and how to get them. No other Abilities, or Items, or Moves are included as this is a specific set (especially at Level 2), not a Pokemon Analysis.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
This set has lots of issues.

It requires perfect prediction, and stops working the second your opponent Taunts or sets up a Sub. If you mess up even once (say, not Magic Coating a turn they used Leech Seed or WoW, or not Pain Splitting a Turn when your opponent attacks), you lose. It's also entirely useless without a Spinner, seeing as a single layer of Spikes can make this set worthless.

...It has SOME potential, but I feel like this'll just be the FEAR of this generation.

Very inventive! However there is a blatant flaw in that on wifi battles are played under the Lvl100 mode. Assuming this mode exists in BW I don't see why it would change. Will work on Shoddy I guess.

It requires perfect prediction, and stops working the second your opponent Taunts or sets up a Sub. If you mess up even once (say, not Magic Coating a turn they used Leech Seed or WoW, or not Pain Splitting a Turn when your opponent attacks), you lose. It's also entirely useless without a Spinner, seeing as a single layer of Spikes can make this set worthless.

...It has SOME potential, but I feel like this'll just be the FEAR of this generation.
Magic Coat is supposed to reflect Taunt now. If it's true, then you have a free turn to Pain Split. Your own Taunt can at least help by forcing the opponent to attack if they Sub against you, then you can switch out to an appropriate counter.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd love to play this in the Battle Subway as well, but it also auto-levels all Pokemon to L50.

Taunt does NOT prevent Pain Split, as previously mentioned. Probopass can have a Wish (or Leech Seed) passed, negating all Entry hazard damage, as long as Probopass comes in unattacked (i.e. a foe using Toxic).

With Taunt, prediction is not as hard...

i have no idea what this thread is about, I just wanted to say on shoddy, taunt has always prevented pain split.

yeah, this thing requires perfect prediction, as you have to prefectly get magic coat and pain split. one mistake and it's done. Not to mention dragon tail LOLs at it. A nice stop to choice pokes though.

I like the Aron w/Shell Bell Endeavor set Torchic made in the Sturdy thread way better. It's not quite as immortal but it works WAY faster, theoretically. Only needs one turn too!
but according to veekun (http://veekun.com/dex/moves/magic coat) Probopass doesn't learn Magic Coat. I hope he gets it on Shoddy at least
Veekun is probably right. The move dexes on Smogon have the learnsets for Magic Coat and Role Play mixed up. So that means the Probopass can't use Magic Coat. I don't think it will make a huge difference for this set because the opponent could just hit it with the Status move the next turn.

What a nice spin on the FEAR concept - this is a superb idea, and you could cripple anything with this.

How the hell are you supposed to be able to counter it unscathed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)