Project Neverused: Revival

Django is a loser y/n

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
hey ebeast, head smash is also an option on that set over hidden power ice to hit altaria, armaldo, and other fire types. i also like to run max speed with a naive nature to outpace absol and ohko it with superpower but sometimes i miss the power that your set brings.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah that works as well since EBelt Head Smash OHKOes 252 HP Armaldo, Altaria, and Torkoal. I mentioned that Fraxure and Shelgon aren't too common anymore so I think I can make Head Smash the slash over Hidden Power Ice and mention how the secondary spread guarantees a OHKO on 252 HP Armaldo. I'll also bring up Naive so that Emboar can outpace Absol.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...

Mantine (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Simple standard set with EV's in the other defence. No one likes restalk as a recovery form, but there's a great thing about this mantine that makes it worth using, it's incredibly anti-meta. With BW2, most pokes that used to run stone-edge know run ice punch. While mantine doesn't need the extra sp.D EV's to wall the huge threats ludicolo, gorebyss and samurott are, physical defence EV's let you wall gurdurr, piloswine and non CB or LO golurk. It also helps you wall physical samurott, absorbs spore and is sure to win off against amoonguss and alomomola in the end with scald burn, water absorb and air slash flinch. Mantine's decent speed also let's him threaten many rock types that threaten him and the simple fact mantine has scald is also enough to scare rocks just as much as any physical attacker that want to come in. Mantine even has a cool ability that can help you gain health with good prediction without having to rest.

Heal bell support is suggested for phazers abuse rest talk and mantine is SR weak. A normal type is cool too for CB golurk's shadow punch. Rapid spin is always nice but hard to pull off. You'll also need a good volt switch switch in of course.

Couple of calcs lefites considered

252Atk Iron Fist Golurk (+Atk) Shadow Punch vs 252HP/252Def Water Absorb Mantine (+Def): 33% - 39% (112 - 133 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

252Atk Life Orb +2 Torrent Samurott (Neutral) Megahorn vs 252HP/252Def Water Absorb Mantine (+Def): 38% - 44% (128 - 150 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

252Atk Choice Band Emboar (+Atk) Flare Blitz vs 252HP/252Def Water Absorb Mantine (+Def): 41% - 49% (140 - 165 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

252Atk Choice Band Sawk (+Atk) Close Combat vs 252HP/252Def Water Absorb Mantine (+Def): 42% - 49% (141 - 166 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

And because it's still decent as a sp. wall

252SpAtk Life Orb Ludicolo (+SAtk) Giga Drain vs 252HP/4SpDef Water Absorb Mantine (Neutral): 29% - 35% (100 - 120 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.

Sweet Jesus

ok thks I'll change it though in the end ludi often runs timid these days, so it equals up. Anyway, it's still a 4hko without nature.

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm, this set looks good Sweet Jesus. I think I used something like this before, but I ran enough Speed Evs to outrun a certain Exeggutor.

I have a few beefs with a few matchups that you've listed vs Mantine. Unfortunately, you won't be able to switch in and beat a few of those threats after Stealth Rock damage, such as Sawk, Emboar, and Life Orb Samurott. Otherwise, pretty much.

Sweet Jesus

yes indeed dell, after rocks mantine is more a check to those mons than a counter. Fortunately, mantine's coverage is actually pretty impressive even if it's piss weak and scald burns will often threaten many switch-ins. Mantine should not really be used to counter sawk and emboar anyway since they often do run rock attacks, those calc were mainly showing mantine checks them once they're choice locked but you should never use mantine as your main physical wall it just walls nice stuff like gurdurr who threatens many physical walls.

Anyway, here's another set that works great with defensive teams.

You like defensive pokes but you keep having problems with amoonguss ?
Charizard and articuno are causing you problems ?
Covering all possible coverage moves that come with volt switch seems impossible ?
Bulk up braviary is pissing you off ?
You feel like you would need a poke with offensive and defensive presence that isn't slow as fuck ?

Well, cry no more for here is evio buzz !

Electabuzz (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Toxic

Electbauzz is the only electric type in NU to reach reasonable bulk without haivng terrible speed and also has a very useful ability. While NU has plenty of amoonguss counters, very few can actually come in on spore and not take a shitload from stealth rocks. Electabuzz does this, hits physicaly defensive amoonguss pretty hard with psychic, takes near nothing from his attacks and can volt switch on the predicted switch. Unfortunately, buzz is not killing amoonguss if it has synthesis but those variants are getting rare. Electabuzz's nice bulk and good speed also makes it one of the very best counters to the infamous subbu braviary. Toxic is used over more coverage because if buzz is not doing much with his electric attacks or psychic, there's a good chance he isn't doing much with anything else. Toxic is also cool since electric hits steel types hard enough and psychic is killing poison types that are immune to toxic. Toxic is also used because electabuzz is amazing when paired with alomomola. It takes volt switches like it doesn't give a shit, isn't worthless against special eelektross, counters sub bu brav, and is a decent switch-in on amoonguss (even if it does run synthesis you can volt switch when you predict one and go to something else without having something falling to sleep). The big heart fish can also heal buzz pretty easily with wish.

It's not the first time I run an eviolite buzz and I used to run max spe before Agent Dell made me realize the extra speed is pretty useless since rapidash is too dangerous to stay in (and hard walled by momo), using kadabra against eviobuzz is just ruining it's sash and emolga is only a threat if it runs t wave, in which case you wouldn't ohko with psychic anyway.

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cool set. Another good mention about this set is that it has the bulk to always survive Timid non-Life Orb Gorebyss Surf after a Shell Smash (and has a 75% chance of surviving after Stealth Rock). Also, normally I would suggest Hidden Power Ice over Psychic on most Electabuzz sets since it still hits Amoonguss Super Effectively (though it's only a 3HKO on Physically Defensive variants, as opposing to the 2HKO on Amoonguss) and it prevents you from getting walled by Roost Altaria (who has Natural Cure to shrug off Toxic). It's up to you though, and thanks for finally suggesting the EV change!

Been playing with this set lately, and it's great. It usually get up two layers of spikes, and many times gets up three. Its usefulness decreases late game, but can still help greatly when both sides are down to a few mons.

SubDisable Cacturne

Cacturne @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Substitute
- Disable
- Drain Punch

I used to run something similar to this with a Glalie, but I find this set more effective. Switch into a water attack or resist, then Sub. Cacturne actually manages to out speed quite a bit with this (notably every Stealth Rock lead, 16 Speed EVs Garbodor), so after something breaks the Sub, disable, then continue setting up your Spikes. I couldn't really decide on the last move but Drain Punch seems to work better than Seed Bomb or Sucker Punch, the recovery is more helpful then STAB.

Also, I'm new to the forum. Hello everyone!

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
drain punch is probably not the best option for cacturne since it is easily walled and does not even get stab. seed bomb, dark pulse, or giga drain are probably better options for mono-attacking cacturne since they can actually deal decent damage to the opponent.

Yeah, if you really want recovery, I recommend using Giga Drain > Drain Punch. People under-appreciate Cacturne's Special Attack.

Sweet Jesus, that Mantine set looks awesome. I remember using specially defensive Mantine a while back and that was great. Physically defensive seems even better. Only problem is stuff like Choice Specs Exeggutor is much harder to switch into with Special Defense EV's. Definitely something I am going to try soon. Thanks for sharing.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mantine seems fun and all, but I really don't like using SR weak walls, especially when they don't have reliable recovery (Rest can often leave you like a sitting duck). How do you work around this, in terms of teammates etc?

Oiawesome

Banned deucer.
- Alomamoongus core pissing you off?
- Need A bulky attacker?
- Need a powerfull bulky attacker?

Meet SUBCM BEHEEYEM

Beheeyem @ Lum Berry/ Leftovers
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP/248 Def/8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic

At first you may think this is a fail wannabee of SubBU Braviary,but it's more than that.Weilding a psuedo LO with analytic and Calm Mind boosting your SpDef. And your SpAtk. To rediculous levels,This set has no problems kicking ass,setting up,and taking names.I tested this extensively on the PS! and PO NU ladders,no real peaks though,and outof those 48 games on PS It sweeped in 32 of them (28/48 on PO).It can Boost easily and at +1 it can dish out massive damage(Ill post calcs later)it's extremely bulky,powerfull and bieng slow is actualy a good thing because of analytic.Psychic is main STAB acess to recover is a god send and makes it really have some stayong power,Lum berry is the main slash because Alomamola would toxic me or Amoongus would sporr me before I could sub.

- Alomamoongus core pissing you off?
- Need A bulky attacker?
- Need a powerfull bulky attacker?

Meet SUBCM BEHEEYEM

Beheeyem @ Lum Berry/ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/248 Def/8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic

At first you may think this is a fail wannabee of SubBU Braviary,but it's more than that.Weilding a psuedo LO with analytic and Calm Mind boosting your SpDef. And your SpAtk. To rediculous levels,This set has no problems kicking ass,setting up,and taking names.I tested this extensively on the PS! and PO NU ladders,no real peaks though,and outof those 48 games on PS It sweeped in 32 of them (28/48 on PO).It can Boost easily and at +1 it can dish out massive damage(Ill post calcs later)it's extremely bulky,powerfull and bieng slow is actualy a good thing because of analytic.Psychic is main STAB acess to recover is a god send and makes it really have some stayong power,Lum berry is the main slash because Alomamola would toxic me or Amoongus would sporr me before I could sub.
musharna

Sweet Jesus

@ Oiawesome

sub CM sets are always good, but apart from a little more speed and more immediate power (which isn't the point of sub CM sets anyway), you're pretty much better off with musharna most of the time, just invest a little in speed, you'll be faster than amoonguss, way bulkier than the shroom and you can support the team with heal bell.
Not saying mushy is always better, but at least 85% of the time.

@DTC

I barely ever see eggy and haven't seen a specs variant since 2007 (more like june 2012 but 2007 sounds cooler).

@ Django

I was surprised at how resttalk wasn't too bad in the long run. As I said aromatherapy or heal bell can be nice. Aromatherapy just seems more logic though since things with heal bell often counter gurdurr which is mantine's niche over other ludi counters. I also appreciated piloswine since he's a good switch into suff like electrics and rock types and has awesome coverage to dig big holes in offensive teams and not require switching mantine in too often and hopefully escape the rest. More defensive teams that can take on piloswine often have more trouble breaking through mantine even asleep.Piloswine also takes on regice which is annoying to counter, unfortunately, you still have to find a way to deal with special lapras.

Oiawesome

Banned deucer.
Lol funny how you guys bring up Musharna because I used it with musharna as a kind of a " Double Dragon" strategy and It worked exalantly at least one of them could sweep each game.And before you bash this set,please try it if you have time.I might replace the post with the "NP+LO+ANALYTIC Stall breaker" set though.

ebeast

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, LO Beheeyem doesn't really need Nasty Plot to break down teams thanks to Analytic. It would probably appreciate the Nasty Plot slot for either coverage or Recover (Which alongside Beheeyem's power and decent bulk can also screw up more defensive teams)

Something like:
Beheeyem (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spe)
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Recover

This has 31 Spe IVs because you would rather outspeed Musharna and Amoonguss than not. Signal Beam vs +0 Musharna > Analytic Signal Beam vs +1 Musharna. Quiet Nature allows Beheeyem to underspeed as much as it can while still outspeeding Musharna and Amoonguss. An Analytic boosted Hidden Power Ground with Life Orb is enough to OHKO the standard 20 HP Skuntank while Signal Beam hits Psychic- and Dark-type Pokemon such as Gardevoir, Kadabra, Musharna, Absol, and Cacturne that could switch into Beheeyem's Psychic.

BTW on the topic of Double Psychic strategy with your SubCM Beheeyem and Musharna; how does that actually work? The point of the Double Dragon strategy is to have 2 partners with similar counters so that they can constantly wear down their switch ins until one of them is capable of breaking through. This really doesn't happen with SubCM Beheeyem and CM Musharna because they are mono-attackers and get stopped by Dark-types regardless. (Your Musharna might be Signal Beam over Heal Bell but this isn't really enough to break down Skuntank)

Oiawesome

Banned deucer.
I know it dosent Ebeast NP is to break evrey wall in NU im going to honkos covrage calc and seeing if anything can survive LO Beheeyem

Yamask @ Eviolite
Trait: Mummy
Bold Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Haze
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Physically defensive Yamask avoids being outclassed by Misdreavus in being slightly more bulky on the physical side, access to Haze to shut down setup sweepers, especially those that like to sit behind a Substitute, as well as what I believe is one of the best defensive abilities in the game in Mummy.

Mummy makes Yamask an extremely sound check to things like Toxic Boost Zangoose, Guts Swellow, Moxie Pinsir(which it walls anyway), Skill Link/Technician Cincinno and etc.

Misdreavus is still better all around, but Yamask is extremely stubborn physically and would be good on a team weak to extremely speedy threats.

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain dish
Impish nature (+Def, -SpA)
- U-turn
- Toxic
- Roost
- Soak

Normally physically defensive Pelipper, with a slight twist with its last move. It's a great help in certain stall-teams: first, it gives me the ability to poison former steel and poison-types. Second, it strips my opponent of its STABs unless it's a water-type, in which case it shouldn't even be in there, as most water-types are special attackers anyways.

This set could technically be applied to Alomomola with a few differences in healing moves, though Pelipper is slightly better at not being set-up fodder due to a slow U-turn.

watashi

World Defender

Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
  • Rock Climb
  • Earthquake
  • Zen Headbutt
  • Substitute

I've been using Tauros for quite a while now and it has consistently impressed me with it's massive power. The standard set runs Jolly and Rock Slide over Substitute, but I've found out that Tauros doesn't really need the extra speed to outpace big threats in the current metagame. Substitute allows it to destroy Misdreavus, which would otherwise be one of its biggest counters. Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Alomomola like to status Tauros as well; the former is 2HKOed by Zen Headbutt and cannot 2HKO back with Sludge Bomb, so it must Spore you to be able to beat you, while the latter simply cannot kill you off fast enough without Toxic. Substitute also eases prediction since Tauros tends to force a lot of switches.

What separates Tauros from Zangoose, Cinccino, and Kangaskhan is it's combination of power, speed, and durability. Unlike Zangoose and Cinccino, Tauros is not subject to any recoil unless it uses Earthquake, and has much higher natural bulk than the both, being able to survive Absol's Sucker Punch all the time even after Stealth Rocks. It has much higher power than Kangaskhan due to Sheer Force, and is also not subject to Double Edge's deadly recoil.

ebeast

@Wobble

Yamask has access to Pain Split know thanks to BW2 Tutors so that should definitely be used over Rest. Since Mummy removes Zangoose's ability, all Yamask really has to do is tank a hit and you are at more liberty to switch out into another Pokemon such as Tangela to tank. Since Yamask has no recovery, not even Leftovers, it is easily worn down by Stealth Rock and prefers Pain Split to take advantage of its lower health against an opponent. Rest can kind of be considered suicide as sleep turns reset every time you switch out and Yamask will usually not be capable of staying alive for 2 turns until it can wake up. If it manages to live it will usually be rendered useless by the time it wakes up. Pain Split might not be a reliable heal either, but providing occasional Wish support is much easier than constant Heal Bell support. Yamask's Special Attack stat is also a very poor base 55. Yamask has access to Night Shade so it should be using that rather than Shadow Ball.

Sweet Jesus

It's that time of the week where jesus brings a weirdo set !
It might have been thought of before, but I've never seen it and it does good, this set has many variants

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt/giga drain
- Acid Spray
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The other variants are basicaly the same set with EV's in the other def. How much you want in both defences is up to you since you'll be sending this more often against utility mons than wallbreakers and sweepers, so find the ones your team has trouble with and play with the EV's. It could even go full sp.d.

Eelektross seems a weird choice for a wall and just as mantine, is forced to use resttalk as recovery, but it does give you a status absorber role and this time, you have no SR weakness. Wall Eelektross is very useful against both offensive and even more defensive threats, it can be customized for your team's needs.

While it's not the bulkiest thing around and resttalk is not the best recovery form, eelektross has 3 things over all other walls, no weaknesses (and useful resistances), near impossible to set up on and access to a decent sp.a with acid spray. Eeletkross can wall stuff like subbu brav (or bb locked choice brav) and actually do good damage to offensive threats with thunderbolt while he slowly wears down defensive threats to a point where he can easily KO. Acid spray differentiates eelektross from other walls by it's capacity to wear down the so common bulky sweepers faster than they boost with CM or especially BU. It's important to understand that acid spray put's a lot of pressure on your opponent when he has a defensive mon in since swithcing to somehing else means it will have to take the acid spray followed by a thunderbolt since nearly nothing OHKO's eelektross.

unfortunately, while eelektross has the reputaion to be that electirc type that doesn't give a shit about ground pokes, if you're running thunderbolt, you clearly won't be withstanding the might of cb golurk or marowak while retaliating with a pathetic acid spray. For this, giga drain is an option, but you lose the capacity to actually break subs especially braviary's making eel much easier to set up on.

Eelektross is a weird wall in a way that it's especialy good against defesnive threats but does not withstand the might of many wallbreakers and sweepers. It works well when patched with stuff that counters what it can't wall and that can't necessarily take status too well like alomomola. It's also good with offensive threats that counter particular sweepers or hard hitters like golurk.

(this set works wonders against plenty of ladder gimmicks that may piss you off)

Regirock @ Choice Band
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Pretty self-explanatory set. Switch in, hit something hard, switch out.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Mysterious Trainer, you should probably explain what that set does better than CB Golem, which has higher speed, stab earthquake, and priority, and also what it does better than CB Gigalith, which has much higher attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)