SuperSwan (Swanna) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Rest

Ok after testing this thing i realised that it is much better offensively, with rain dance up Hurricane can Put a big dint in common walls such as Amoongus and Alomomola, Swanna has great coverage with Hurricane and Surf taking out pretty much all non normal type walls in 2 hits. Rain dance and rest work great together for 100% recovery whilst rain dance also powers up Swanna's Surf. This set is also good at coming in on a predicted toxic as it can rain dance, heal status, and then fire away with one of it's powerful attacks.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
The biggest selling point about Swanna is its powerful Hurricane, which allows it to get the OHKOs that most Water-types cannot obtain with Ice Beam. The set you're currently using is probably more suited for Lapras, which has much greater bulk than Swanna, allowing it to survive even super effective hits from the likes of Ludicolo. Swanna would be better off running an offensive set utilizing Rain Dance to boost Hurricane's accuracy and heal off any unwanted status incurred in the middle of a sweep.

Have changed Ice Beam for Hurricane, however i'm keeping the swanna bulky as it resists fighting, fire and ground moves where as Lapras does not.

Have changed Ice Beam for Hurricane, however i'm keeping the swanna bulky as it resists fighting, fire and ground moves where as Lapras does not.
It's not that bulky Swanna is outclassed -- you are right when you say that Swanna resists Fighting, Fire, and Ground-type moves which Lapras not. However, what it really is is a sub-optimal Swanna set. You're wasting its decent Special Attack and amazing Speed for bulk that it really doesn't have without investment. Bulky Swanna can indeed check most top threats better than offensive Swanna, but it isn't going to ravage through a team like what offensive Swanna can do.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Lol bulky swanna. DTC and FLCL already said it, the whole point of using Swanna is damaging about everything with that glorious STAB combo that actually hit quite hard despite Swanna's average 87 stat. And js, Offensive Swanna already beats those mons you mentioned except for Charizard that is basically suicide trying to come in against it with like anything if it is in the sunlight, while Ludicolo can't ohko without Stealth Rock, and is killed by Swanna first.

Also your calc for Charizard is basicallyt against weak zard , Swanna is basically comitting suicide if it tries to take any attack from the strong as fuck version (everything does that already,lol) in the sun from it:

252SpAtk Life Orb Solar Power Charizard (Neutral) SolarBeam in Sun vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Swanna (+SpDef): 60% - 71% (214 - 253 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252SpAtk Life Orb Solar Power Charizard (Neutral) Fire Blast in Sun vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Swanna (+SpDef): 68% - 80% (241 - 284 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

And now that Charizard has roost, using it with LO is not as retarded as before. Swanna also can't beat it because sun makes her now incredibly weak surf even weaker and gets 2hkoed if rocks are up.

Forgot something, 75/63/63 defenses are awful, even with invesment. Taking a Giga Drain from Ludicolo is not worth giving up checking threats like Sawk and Emboar.

@ Insect plate
Trait: Tinted lenses
EVs: 252 Spa / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Timid Nature
- Quiver dance
- Bug buzz
- Substitute
- HP ground

With Amoonguss topping the September usage, and Butterfree being one of my favourite of the original 151, I decided to share a real nice set I've come to use. If you've ever used Butterfree you'd know it has very lackluster stats 80 SpA and 70 Spe, then along came quiver dance allowing it to significantly boost those stats for sweeping power. Then, add sleep powder to nulify opponents AND substitute to protect yourself from status. But the piece that makes it a crucial sweeper, tinted lenses, allowing it to double its damage on resisted hits.

All these assets combine to be one dangerous sweeper, in 4/10 battles for me it killed almost 2 or more pokemon, it really was a damaging 'mon to have. Here are some calculations against some walls in NU.

252SpAtk Insect Plate +1 Tinted Lens Butterfree (Neutral) Bug Buzz vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Alomomola (+SpDef): 41% - 48% (219 - 258 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

252SpAtk Insect Plate +1 Tinted Lens Butterfree (Neutral) Bug Buzz vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Alomomola (Neutral): 66% - 78% (357 - 421 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252SpAtk Insect Plate +1 Tinted Lens Butterfree (Neutral) Bug Buzz vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Amoonguss (+SpDef): 36% - 43% (159 - 187 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

252SpAtk Insect Plate +1 Tinted Lens Butterfree (Neutral) Hidden Power (Ground) vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Sturdy Bastiodon (+SpDef): 59% - 70% (192 - 228 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Although these calcs may be 3HKOs vs Max SpD walls, Butterfree will also be receiving a +1 SpD boost and also has substitute to hide behind and boost up.

Thanks for reading, hope this set works as well for you as it did for me.

The bad thing about butterfree is that it is killed by standard alomomola even with a quiver dance after stealth rocks with just one waterfall. Bastiodon can simply stone edge butterfree for the OHKO. I would also be careful with Amoongus as sometimes it can pack the Hp ice for the OHKO with SR support. It maybe a good sweeper as I have yet to test it this gen, however it is not a good wall breaker as the stats show here.

SuperSwan (Swanna) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Rest

This swanna is excellent at taking on numerous amounts of threats in NU, namely golurk and ludicolo. It is also a great check to amoongus as she is resistant to status as long as she can get her rain dance up. Due to the small amount of weather use in NU rain dance and rest should be easy to use as a reliable form of recovery and protection from status. Surf is used for stab with it also being powered up by rain. Ice beam should be used over air slash for coverage of altaria and braviary, however air slash could be used as a secondary stab move. This set also breaks solar power charizard as 252 SpAtk Solar Power Charizard SolarBeam vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Swanna (+SpDef) : 46.61% - 55.08% (2-3 hits to KO) after 6% leftovers recovery charizard at best can 3 hit Ko before swanna can surf for the kill. Same applies to ludicolo as 252 SpAtk Life Orb Ludicolo (+SpAtk) Giga Drain vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Swanna (+SpDef) : 37.29% - 44.07% (3-4 hits to KO). This makes Swanna an ideal counter for weather sweepers. She is best used with rapid spin supporters such as armaldo so she doesn't take the 25% damage from stealth rocks.
I just wanted to say that I've been using an offensive EX spread with this moveset, and it's good. It is an excellent switch-in to Amoonguss's Spore if rain is up, and can force it out with the threat of a KO. Then, it can rest off the damage it took from SR and sweep with dat STAB. It really wants Hydro Pump though.

So I've been seeing a lot of Braviarys (especially SubBU ones) and I just happened to discover an almost perfect counter to it: Bastiodon.

Bastiodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Rock Blast
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic / Magic Coat

Walls a lot of Normal types such as Cinccino, Swellow, and especially Braviary. It's not in the set onsite but Bastiodon actually has Rock Blast to deal with Ninjask and other Flying types and Sub users. Roar is what Bastiodon has over Probopass and it synergizes with SR. Toxic has been useful against Alomomola, but Magic Coat has its uses too against Taunt users.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
@Icespade
Welcome to smogon, we appreciate your participation, but this set is pretty similar to what's on site. Bastiodon has terrible offense and ninjask would really be the only reason to use rock blast over another stab move. It can be a nice niche when facing baton pass teams that counter roar with soundproof mr.mime, but in every other case, bastiodon can simply phaze out ninjask and other sub users who will probably die to rocks just as fast as they would die to rocks blast.

Magic coat is cool too, but it's usualy used over the attacking move since it's mainly to counter taunt as you said. Without toxic, you're pretty much just spamming roar. Besides, Bastiodon does not counter choice bravairy sets since they have superpower, but I guess you were talking about the subBU set only.

Okay, Today i have a rather overlooked Pokemon and that Pokemon is Magmar.

Magmar has a rather impressive Special Attack stat of 100, and a pretty much just as impressive Attack stat at 95. Magmar has a pretty quick 93 Speed and also a solid Special Defence at 85.

Magmar got Vital Spirit from the dream world and this is important as it is one of the biggest seeling points about this set as he gets a free switch in on the numerous sleep inducers in NU, most notably Amoongus.

Now the chosen set for this Magmar is as follows:

Magmar @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid/Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

This set gets a free switch in on Amoongus/Vileplume/Butterfree And can proceed to hit pretty much anything hard With stab Overheat. Hidden power grass 2HKO's Alomomola and Focus Blast destroys Anything Steel/Normal/Dark/Rock. This set can also work as a late game cleaner or revenge killer when equipped with a Choice Scarf.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A problem with Magmar as an Amoonguss switch in are two things: Stun Spore and it's mediocre 65/85 Special Bulk means that it's not really enjoying coming into a Sludge Bomb if the Amoonguss decides to go for it. Its awful base 57 Defense means it's not taking priority well from the likes of Zangoose, Absol, Skuntank, Cacturne, Gurdurr, and Kangaskhan well at all. Magmar definitely has a cool niche with it's base 93 Speed as a Scarf user, but I wanted to point out another way you can use Magmar effectively. Since our flaming duck is a not fully evolved Pokemon it can use Eviolite to raise its defenses and allow it to becomes a significantly better better switch into Sleep Powder/Spore using Grass-type Pokemon. While this is no way helps against a predicted Stun Spore from Amoonguss, it's a safe switch otherwise.

• 0 SpAtk Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs 0 HP/24 SpDef Magmar: 34.69% - 41.33% (3 hits to KO)
  • 0 SpAtk Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs 0 HP/24 SpDef Eviolite Magmar: 23.25% - 27.68% (4-5 hits to KO)

Magmar (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 SAtk / 24 SDef / 232 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice

This is is a much more reliable switch into Amoonguss due to its superior bulk thanks to Eviolite and has the ability to switch up moves. Since Magmar only really needs Fire Blast, Focus Blast, and a Hidden Power of choice it has a slot open. With Eviolite Magmar's best move for the last slot is arguably Substitute. Substitute allows Magmar to take advantage of the switches that it forces against Amoonguss and allows it to freely attack with any move it wants to against the opponent's switch. Focus Blast allows Magmar to hit bulky Rock-type Pokemon such as Regirock, Probopass, and Bastidon while Hidden Power Grass hits Water-type Pokemon such as Samurott and Gorebyss. Hidden Power Ice is an option, but it only really hits Altaria and not all too hard at that. Magmar needs Stealth Rock support to OHKO Specs Altaria while a specially defensive is 2HKOed. Magmar's Eviolite also help it take priority from Zangoose and Gurdurr much easier than it could before while Substitute can be used to swiftly avoid deadly Sucker Punches from Absol, Cacturne, or Skuntank. The EV spread is set so that Magmar can outspeed base 90 Pokemon with the remaining EVs going into its Special Defence.

Sweet Jesus

The set from my RMT, it can make battles last an eternity but it's pretty effective.

Gothorita (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Reflect/trick room

Investing in special defence rather than in defence will let you set up on some pretty powerful special attackers making gohoritta more than death fodder when facing offensive teams while still shining against balanced and stall teams. Becoming very weak on the physical side won't let you set up on any physical attacker but alomomola and you shouldn't try doing so with reflect (except vs momo). After using calm mind once or twice, gothoritta can tank a couple of hits from about every special attacker in the game and is safe to use rest as reliable recovery. Once you've reached +6, you'll need to calc if psychic ko's your trapped prey. Once you're at 1 psychic of doing so and you have near full health, set up reflect and kill the trapped poke. You then have enough physical bulk to either take 1 or 2 physical hits and cause massive damage with psychic or survive skunatnk's pursuit and have a screen up for 2 more turns. (If your opponent has no dark poke, u-turners, pinsir, golurk, or bulky phazers, you'll often sweep your opponent.

Trick room is another option (I have not tested), in which case you'll want to reduce goth's speed to the minimum and attempt a sweep. The problem is even at +6, gothorita isn't that strong and you probably won't be ohko'ing all your opponents physical attackers, you'll also die immediatly to pursuit.

In certain cases gohtorita can be used as a pp staller thanks to rest but it makes games pretty boring. (ex: if you have the motivation, you can pp stall amoonguss and set up while he doesn't ruin your fun with clear smog).

Sweet Jesus

bump. (Bronzor) @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Toxic
- psychic/Flash cannon
- Rest

king bronzor it is! I talked about this set in the viability thread and it acutally works pretty well. The idea is simple, bronzor has such an incredible defensive typing and can actually set up on a huge amount of threats. With his pathetic attack stat, bronzor sometimes wont be able to kill things with reliable recovery, but that's what toxic is for. Toxic is also great to hit incoming pokes that kill bronzor. This poke fits pretty easily in a team, it can be used as a status absorber and hardcounters many common pokes like cinccino, zangoose and musharna (heal bell has much less pp than toxic). After a calm mind or 2 even water pokes aren't killing you during rest (I 6-0'd a rain team). Being immune to clear smog and toxic is also a huge plus for such a set.

Flash cannon can be used over psychic to hit skuntank, but if your opponent doesn't fool around, he'll taunt you before you can calm mind to a range where it's worth attacking. Psychic will hit poison types that resist toxic especially golbat while probopass and bastiodon have no recovery. Rest talk regice is the only poke flash cannon covers really.

It may seem ridiculous because of the comlpete loss of momentum bronzor is, but once you've killed the following threats, it's pretty much instant victory.

• fire types
  • Stong physical water pokes (samurott, floatzel, basculin)
  • armaldo, pinsir
  • luxray
  • absol, cb sawk
  • cb golurk will probably crit you before you kill it, but if not it won't counter
  • anything with trick
  • anything with taunt
  • some stuff with BU, SD and shell smash
  • phazer (though as soon as bronzor is your last poke he'll need another counter)
  • Regice or golbat and certan amoonguss variants
  • things no one uses like haze golbat and perishtrapper murkrow. (taunt golbat is more common though)
  • leech seed is annoying but most seeders won't be killing you alone

Note that outside of skuntank, none of these pokes are immune to the toxic they'll receive on the switch that will help wear them down for a future sweep. Note also that rest is a great move to pp stall and will help eventually give you the victory agianst things with seismic toss or night shade.

Bronzor requires little support since it can heal with rest. wish support can be appreciated because sometimes you can't afford to rest but it's not essential, heal bell is nice too. Hazards are also nice because although bronzor walls plenty of stuff, it needs some time before it can really become a threat so he'll be causing a lot of switches.
Even if alomomola can wish pass and walls plenty of the listed threats, I wouldn't suggest using it because combined with bronzor your team will be terrible to gain momentum and will be easy to set up on.

Annoyer/Sweeper

Emolga
@ Focus Sash
Trait: Static/Motor Drive
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd OR 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd OR 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Timid/Modest Nature
  • Thunder Wave
  • Swagger / Thunder(bolt)
  • Electro Ball
  • Hidden Power Ice / Signal Beam / Volt Switch / U-Turn
You'd be surprised how hard this little bugger hits. Focus Sash makes sure he doesn't get OHKO'd by a powerful sweeper. Speed is his main strong point, letting him outspeed most of the tier. Paralysis will instantly quarter the opponents speed, letting Emolga crush them with a STAB 150 Base Power Electro Ball. Swagger will reduce their chances of even being able to attack to an abysmal 25% and Thunder(bolt) can hit hard on faster opponents. The fourth slot is whatever you want it to be, Hidden Power Ice for Dragons, Signal Beam for Psychics and Volt Switch/U-Turn to deal some extra damage when retreating from a powerful threat. This set is great to lead, as it can screw up a set up lead, and can switch out with Volt Switch/U-Turn

Staller

E
molga @ Leftovers
Trait: Static/Motor Drive
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SDef / 252 Spd OR 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd OR 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature

• Substitute
  • Charge Beam
  • Roost
  • Hidden Power Ice / Signal Beam / Baton Pass / Toxic
This isn't my favourite set, but it can hide behind a sub and spam Charge Beam to boost its stats while constantly healing via leftovers or Roost. Emolga should have something set up Reflect or Light Screen to increase its chances of holding the substitute together, or have a defence boost Baton Passed onto it. Once again, you can use the fourth slot for coverage or to Baton Pass your stat boost to something with a bit more power. This set works wonders as an end-game staller with Toxic, but make sure you do have a backup plan if you get knocked out. With Baton Pass, it can be a decent lead too.

Verdict

While it's defences are pathetic and it's attack isn't that high, it can annoy you to no end and leave you with an Electro Ball to the face. Since Emolga is hardly ever used, very few people know what it's going to do. Motor Drive is excellent for other Electric types, but Static can leave the attacker with paralysis and get wrecked by Electro Ball. Either way, Emolga gets faster and Electro Ball gets stronger.

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Harvest
Evs: 252 Hp / 4 SpAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Sleep Powder
-Psychic

I remembered this set being pretty popular in previous metas so i figured id test it out to see how it was in this current meta and i have to say im pretty surprised at its effectiveness. Eggy can tank many physical, even super effective, hits very well making this set so effective. There is a similar set onsite, however i changed a few things up to make it act more of a Physical Wall than a Sub Seeder. Instead of the Evs onsite, i used a spread that maximizes its bulk. I opted for Sleep Powder over Protect because i found sleep much more useful to my team. It bluffs an offensive set which gives you a lot of opportunities to set up a Substitute because it usually forces a lot of switches. Leech Seed is extremely useful for stalling/not set up fodder, while Psychic ensures it isnt Taunt bait while still offering decent offensive presence. Harvest Sitrus Berry makes it incredibly hard to take down thanks to a 50% chance to regain the berry after each turn, letting it recover 25% each time it gets below 50. I have some recent success in the current meta with it and its a fun, underrated set to use.

Sweet Jesus

METATATANG is here guys

As I said in the viablitiy thread, this set is far from the joke pokemon metang is often refered to.

Metang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Metang has incredible bulk but most of all, he's got an incredible typing. He really doesn't need the extra defence EVs and can use them much better in attack. With the traditional moves, Metang can cause very decent damage with meteor mash and toxic anything that walls him. Earthquake kills anything that absorbs toxic except weezing and grass poison pokes. Metang is also one of the most reliable mons when it comes to setting up stealth rock since he walls so many things and earthquake will take down most taunt users (electrode and skuntank). Something many people don't think of when they see metang is how well it counters nearly every psychic type. Since most psychic types have a terrible defence your max attack meteor mash will cause massive damage while they can't do much more than shadow ball or focus blast which isn't doing much. Even musharna has less heal bell pp than metang has toxics and synchrnoize won't work on metal metang. These characterics makes metang very easy to plug in a defensive core as a secondary wall that sets up SR and walls what others can't both on the physical and special side. With max attack, metang is not set up bait and meteor mash has a nice secondary effect that can actually make it pretty threatening with a little hax.

I have to try out that Metang set some time....

Here is another set of mine.

RAICHU AND NINJASK DUO (VoltTurn)

Raichu @ Focus Sash
Trait: Static OR Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Timid Nature

• Volt Switch
  • Grass Knot/Energy Ball
  • Focus Blast
  • Signal Beam/Thunder(bolt)
AND
Ninjask @ Focus Sash
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Def/ 4 HP
Adamant Nature

• U-Turn
  • X-Scissor
  • Swords Dance
  • Baton Pass
Hell yeah! Ninjask and Raichu are deadly when combined. Raichu has a plethora of coverage moves which can put a dent in anything and can switch at moments notice. Ninjask can hit hard and takes setup bait to get in Swords Dance. Since Ninjask almost always uses a SubPass set, this Ninjask can surprize many. Grass Knot will screw you over if you think you can get a free switch in with Golem or Golurk. The few Pokemon who can wall and counter this duo can fear the wrath of a speed-boosted tank. And trust me, Camerupt is the only counter I known of so far. Amoonguus is semi-viable though. I also have Emolga and Sycther on Pokemon Online(The latter being RU on Smogon), allowing for even more diversity. Torkoral is mandatory for this team, to deal with Amoonguus and for Rapid Spin, which wrecks Ninjask(And Scyther). Ninjask and Raichu are a force to be reckoned with when played right.

Regice @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Regice is an extremely underrated Pokemon, and this is one of its best sets in my opinion. Rock Polish is also extremely good too (raseri <3) if you are aiming to sweep as well. Regice essentially takes special attacks like nothing; it walls the likes of special Water-types, Haunter, Rotom formes, Articuno, and many more. RestTalk isn't a terrible combination on Regice since it gives it reliable recovery, and it has many opportunities to stay in to burn off sleep turns with its good bulk. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt provide nearly perfect coverage with each other and pack quite a punch. (Ice Beam can even 2HKO Gurdurr) RestTalk also makes it a great switch-in to Amoonguss; it counters the Alomomoonguss core perfectly too. This set gives stall a very hard time as well. The EVs allow it to outspeed Modest SMASHKOAL before a boost while the rest are poured into HP and Special Attack for more bulk and power. A spinner is highly appreciated so SMASHKOAL or SD Armaldo are great partners since Regice will need to switch into special attackers multiple times throughout a match.

PS: Vote in the mandatory poll

Sweet Jesus

Meganium (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Aromatherapy
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Flying]

The on site support set it just an inferior tangela with aromatherapy, but meganium is one of the best grass mon in NU to go specialy defensive, a small niche not everyone prepares for.

This meganium works pretty much like tangela but on the special side. With a combination of leech seed + leftovers + giga drain, meganium can take on some of the greatest special attackers in the tier and heal enough to land a couple of hits. Leech seed and aromtherapy serve the team just as much as they help meganium. Hp flying is weak but hits certan grass types that are immune to leech seed, ludicolo (ice beam has 2% chance to 2HKO with lefties, using giga drain should also be considered) and incoming emboars who always try to get a free switch.

Another cool thing about meganium is that apart from haunter, nearly everything that wallbreaks it on the special side is weak or very weak to SR (articuno, regice, charizard, quiver dancers).

Meganium might have a small niche over a similar amoonguss set, but the absence of psychic weakness, access to leech seed and aromatherapy along with much better speed should be taken in consideration.

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Harvest
Evs: 252 Hp / 252Atk / 4Spe
Adamant Nature
-Substitute
-Wood Hammer
-Zen Headbutt
-Swords Dance

Exeggutor posseses a surprisingly decent base 95 Attack stat, and a powerful STAB combination that is only resisted by Mawile, Exeggutor, Cacturne and Skuntank allows him to muscle past many of his usual checks, like Gardevoir. The crux of this set is the combination of Harvest, Wood Hammer and Substitute - Harvest allows Exeggutor to recover off its recoil free of charge, and Substitute allows Exeggutor to eat hits that would otherwise take advantage of its poor speed. Zen Headbutt, aside from obligatory STAB, lets Exeggutor shoulder past Amoonguss, a Pokemon that gives many other physical Pokemon, including fellow Wood Hammer user Torterra, pause. Once it gets a Swords Dance or two up, very little can take a hit, and Exeggutor outspeeds the few that do (Torkoal, Lairon). HP EVs increase its bulk, making Substitutes sturdier and Harvest returning more health, and it also lessens the impact of recoil. Because of a poor base Speed, Exeggutor greatly appreciates paralysis support, allowing it to throw out multiple Substitutes in conjunction with Harvest, gambling on a paralysis chance to allow it to setup.

A few quick calcs:

+2 252+ Atk Exeggutor Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 132-156 (38.48 - 45.48%) -- 89.06% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock.

+2 252+ Atk Exeggutor Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Torterra: 252-297 (63.95 - 75.38%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Exeggutor Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Braviary: 294-346 (72.77 - 85.64%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Exeggutor Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gardevoir: 325-384 (95.58 - 112.94%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Exeggutor Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Lickilicky: 322-379 (75.94 - 89.38%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Exeggutor Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Miltank: 222-262 (56.34 - 66.49%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Exeggutor Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 102-120 (30.53 - 35.92%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Tangela (which nobody runs anymore) is the only thing that can reliably take a hit, and even that is shut down after two or more Swords Dances.

Sweet Jesus

And another of my weird sets

Liepard (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Night Slash
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch
- Encore

The point of this liepard is simple, it works a bit like absol and hits with powerful sucker punches but the better speed also let's you hit zangoose over QA. While the difference in power is very noticeable, liepard has a huge plus over absol in the form of priority encore. Sucker punch is one of the easiest moves to play around with moves likes substitute, recovery and other stuff, but if the opponent chooses to trick liepard to avoid the powerful priority move, he'll be prone to get locked in a random move. The only annoying moves are status inducing moves and leech seed, but some of those can be encored if you are desperate.

Having priority encore in general is an extremely useful thing if you have a good sens of prediction, especially when facing baton pass teams or things like sub bu braviary. Liepard's good speed will also let you encore pokes that set up and have priority like SD samurott (something volbeat can't do).

Night slash is for when your opponent doesn't want to switch once you've encored him and has a high crit ratio which is good if you locked braviary in bulk up. U-turn is just a great utility move in general and is useful once you've encored something and your opponent switches out to a liepard counter.

Adamant is used because you're usualy spamming your 2 priority moves and stuff with priority usualy have 90 speed and under so the extra speed isn't needed. Replacing night slash with something like t wave or another move is always an option.

Emboar @ Leftovers
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd
Modest Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Substitute

Special Emboar. Similar to the mixed Emboar on-site, but it is just too frail, as Rash means it can't take a lot of special attacks, while Superpower lowers Emboar's defenses. By using a fully special set, it can easily set up a Substitute on something it forces out, then proceed to break the opposing team. It can easily break Alomomoonguss, and it actually 2HKOes Lickilicky and Regice without SR and without an Expert Belt, Life Orb, or Choice Specs.

252SpAtk Emboar (+SAtk) Focus Blast vs 252HP/4SpDef Regice (Neutral): 53% - 63% (194 - 230 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
252SpAtk Emboar (+SAtk) Focus Blast vs 252HP/252SpDef Lickilicky (+SpDef): 63% - 75% (270 - 318 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Using a faster spread is viable, but this EV spread is what is on-site. There are some hard counters to this set such as Altaria and Frillish, but they counter most Emboar sets anyway.

@below oops, that was a mistake, sorry. :P

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That Emboar set lacks a lot of power with your EV spread and item. If you want to get the most out of Emboar's mixed set use Expert Belt to hide the fact that you can switch up moves and increase the power of your super effective attacks. Expert Belt also gives you the stronger hit against Regirock, Alomomola, and Golurk with Grass Knot alongside the extremely uncommon Frillish. Frillish actually only really walls Scarf (unless this uses for Wild Charge) and Mixed Grass Knot variants as a Choice Band set has a chance to 2HKO Frillish after Stealth Rock and will utterly obliterate it with Wild Charge or Head Smash.

This what I think the set should look like:

Emboar @ Expert Belt
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 128 Atk / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Grass Knot
- Substitute / Head Smash / Hidden Power Ice

The spread on site is just right as 128 Attack EVs with Expert Belt is a clean OHKO against 252 HP Lickilicky and maximum Special Attack allows Emboar to 2HKO Alomomola with Grass Knot. Grass Knot also deals severe damage to Regirock and Golurk, which is why it's being used over Hidden Power Grass. Fire Blast is essential as it lets Emboar OHKO both Amoonguss and Tangela unlike Flare Blitz and deals much reliable damage to Pokemon in general than Focus Blast. Substitute and Hidden Power Ice are up to you as Substitute takes advantage of the switches that Emboar forces and due to this set's wallbreaking nature, makes excellent use of. Expert Belt as its boosting item also means that it won't be worn down by Substitute nearly as much as it would by using another item such as Life Orb. (Which isn't that great on this to begin with as it takes way the set's surprise value.) Hidden Power Ice allows Emboar to hit Altaria, Shelgon, and Fraxure, however they are not very common anymore. Shelgon and Fraxure went a bit under the radar after their research weeks (although both are still great, especially Fraxure) and Altaria hasn't been all too common since Magmortar left the tier and the Water-types dominated the metagame. Head Smash is the main option for coverage on the last slot as it hits the most common Dragon-type in Altaria while hitting Armaldo and other Fire-type Pokemon such as Rapidash and Torkoal. The spread with 128 Speed was so that Emboar could outpace Altaria, however if your set doesn't incorporate Hidden Power Ice a spread of 152 Atk / 252 SpA / 104 Spe is usable to outspeed max Speed Golem and the Attack EVs make Emboar's Superpower and Head Smash stronger against a few more targets such as guaranteeing that Head Smash OHKOes 252 HP Armaldo. Emboar can also use max Speed and a Naive nature to outspeed Adamant Absol, however misses out on most of the set's wallbreaking power.

• 252SpAtk Expert Belt Reckless Emboar (+SAtk) Grass Knot vs 252HP/0SpDef Alomomola (Neutral): 50% - 59% (271 - 319 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
  • 252SpAtk Expert Belt Reckless Emboar (+SAtk) Grass Knot vs 252HP/0SpDef Sturdy Regirock (Neutral): 79% - 93% (288 - 340 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252SpAtk Expert Belt Reckless Emboar (+SAtk) Grass Knot vs 172HP/0SpDef Klutz Golurk (Neutral): 95% - 112% (345 - 408 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 73% chance to OHKO
  • 128Atk Expert Belt Reckless Emboar (+Atk) Superpower vs 252HP/0Def Thick Fat Miltank (Neutral): 110% - 130% (434 - 513 HP). Guaranteed OHKO
  • 128Atk Expert Belt Emboar (Neutral) Head Smash vs 252HP/0Def Battle Armor Armaldo (Neutral): 96% - 114% (343 - 405 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 82% chance to OHKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)