Prop 8: Great riddance, or GREATEST riddance?

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Second, would J-man also agree with someone using that argument if it were reversed in favor of gay marriage?
No, J-man would argue that while the majority is not always wrong, it is in this case. If your only argument for gay marriage to stay illegal is because 4% more people don't want it than want it...you have a weak argument.

J-man are you against interracial marriage?

Forget about the religious aspects, the supposed social ones, and the legal benefits. Opposing gay marriage amounts to telling other people they may not do something that does not materially affect you, directly or indirectly.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yet it isn't. And we the people of the US don't want it changed. Because that's how we think Marriage ought to be kept.
Please stop contradicting yourself. You cannot use "the will of the majority" considering you just explained how interracial marriage was opposed by an even larger majority but was still unconstitutional. You are justifying your own bigotry by whatever means necessary even if you don't believe them.

Please tell me the negative effects of legalizing civil gay marriage. I can only see positives so I'm confused as to how it could possibly by opposed by anyone who isn't a homophobe.

I don't know any figures for the UK. Former PM Tony Blair was Anglican while in office, converting to Catholicism after stepping down. Gordon Brown was Church of Scotland, which is Presbyterian. Current PM David Cameron is Anglican. I don't know about the rest of the Commons or Lords, although there are known Muslim MPs.

Of course the UK doesn't have "separation of church and state".

That said, the UK has had a Prime Minister, James Callaghan (1976-1979) who was atheist.
Nick Clegg is atheist

I think the "definition of marriage" argument is the biggest crock of crap I've ever heard. What if Webster wanted to be cute in one edition and defined "senator" as

(n) a member of a senate, who always walks through doorways backwards

Lol, sorry guys, you have to! The dictionary said so! Or even if it's in some rare corner of the constitution (can't really recall), what we have to follow word for word? God what if they mispelled something and gave American the right to free peaches? "Well I guess we have to give 'em free peaches. It says so right there."

i just read this article in time. it focuses on the course the case will take in the future since the main attorney for the proponents of prop 8 released a brief on what he plans to cover in the appeal. i thought it was interesting primarily because his argument in favor of prop 8 is somewhat distinct from any that have been brought up in this thread. while i may not agree with him emotionally, i can definitely understand his argument intellectually and even (to a very limited extent) appreciate its trickiness/compexity (?).

also the issue of standing is pretty interesting, but i haven't come across any detailed analysis of it in the context of prop 8. it would be a pretty funny way for this whole thing to end though...

@chateau - good thing the m-w dictionary isn't law huh

@whistle, I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me, but I'm criticizing the fact that one of the major anti-gay marriage arguments treats it as such.

my point is that the dictionary definition is interesting for debate but ultimately irrelevant for policy purposes

This will be an interesting first post...

I'll start by saying that I personally do not support "gay marriage," which I define as being two people of the same gender bound by God to live the rest of their days together. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints a.k.a. LDS or Mormon and this has influenced my views of this event.

That said, Prop 8 should never have made it to the courts, it is not a governmental issue. If the churches do not want to recognize them then it is their right to do so but they cannot impose their views upon the state, or government. From what I understand, the actual issue is the fact that civil unions are not equal to a marriage, or that they are seperate but not equal; however, one also cannot defile the sacredness of the marriage (or at least as it is seen) by altering it to include gay couples simply because someone feels offended that they can't call their civil union a marriage. I say this because if something such as the reverse Prop 8 is to come out of this then the state is imposing upon the rights of the church. If a reverse Prop 8 is enforced then it will also be unconstitutional as it would force religion to mold to how the government sees fit. If it isn't clear on how that breaks rights then think for half a second.

While on the topic of church and state, the statement of "seperation of church and state" does not mean that church and state cannot be intertwined in anyway shape or form, it is alluding back to when the Catholic church basically was the government and ruled with an iron fist until it was bolstered out of it's slot. The statement is put in place to specifically prevent a religion from ruling the country but also to prevent the government meddling in religion. The only time this can be cercumvented is when a religion directly violates a God-given right such as the killing of people or taking the rights away from someone (such as brain-washing or having sex with minors) but it must be something that directly messes with the Bill of Rights or such.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I believe you should take more than half a second to understand the situation. Your church is not being told to perform marriages for homosexual couples. No religious institution is having its rights violated.

I'm not saying it we are, the general stressor is that it isn't a government issue and shouldn't have become one. My post probably could have been formated better, but thems the breaks.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm not saying it we are, the general stressor is that it isn't a government issue and shouldn't have become one.
Um, it already is a government issue. Marriage confers legal rights and comes with legal responsibilities. Today. Right now.

Are you saying that government should strike all laws related to marriage?

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
For those who were too lazy to read whoostle's (excellent) link, here's the relevant part: a summary of the position that will be used in support of Prop 8 in the next case.

"But Cooper's brief reveals a strategy that looks like nothing if not a plan to proceed as if the trial didn't happen. All but ignoring Walker's conclusions to the contrary, Cooper argues that the right to marriage does not include the right to same-sex marriage, which he said would be a new right — and one not subject to the same strong protections enjoyed by fundamental rights like marriage. He argues, too, that gays and lesbians as a class are different than racial minorities, or even gender classes, because sexual orientation is harder to define, and gays lack the political powerlessness that racial minorities were enduring when they were given constitutional protections."

"As a result, he argues, the government interest in laws like Prop 8 needs be subjected only to the lowest level of constitutional scrutiny, an equal-protection standard known as rational-basis review. Ten previous courts have held that laws discriminating against gays need only survive scrutiny under the more permissive rational-basis review, he argues. "The unanimity of these decisions is no accident, for the question whether gays and lesbians satisfy the requirements for suspect-class status is not a close one. As an initial matter, homosexuality is a complex and amorphous phenomenon that defies consistent and uniform definition. As well-respected researchers have concluded, 'there is currently no scientific or popular consensus on the exact constellation of experiences that definitively 'qualify' an individual as lesbian, gay or bisexual.' ""

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While an interesting approach, it's doomed if he doesn't directly challenge the Finding of Fact that gays are a protected class of people, like blacks and women, rather than a group of sorts like neo-nazis or communists.

Nel-Ninja:

For the 90th fucking time...

We are discussing marriage, a secular contact between two people that gives them several legal benefits.

We are not discussing marriage, a religious ceremony performed by religious organizations that has no legal benefits.

Nel-Ninja:

For the 90th fucking time...

We are discussing marriage, a secular contact between two people that gives them several legal benefits.

We are not discussing marriage, a religious ceremony performed by religious organizations that has no legal benefits.
you might as well not even bother

Um, it already is a government issue. Marriage confers legal rights and comes with legal responsibilities. Today. Right now.

Are you saying that government should strike all laws related to marriage?
Personally I would be pretty cool with this. It shouldn't be a goverment issue in any sense of the word. I mean, why do we have laws related to marriage?

I'm no expert, so what exactly are all the legal benefits and responsiblities of marriage, and why do we need them?

Personally I would be pretty cool with this. It shouldn't be a goverment issue in any sense of the word. I mean, why do we have laws related to marriage?

I'm no expert, so what exactly are all the legal benefits and responsiblities of marriage, and why do we need them?
Most of them are associated with taxation and property rights, as well as inheritance, agency, etc.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
As Mr. Indigo said, most of them involve taxation, finances, and agency. The taxation one is a biggie, could save some couples tens of thousands of dollars a year. The agency one can also be a big deal; there was a depressing story in the news a long while back about how a lesbian was refused access to her dying partner in the hospital because she couldn't prove she was legally...anything to her.

As I pointed out earlier, it's easy to say "government shouldn't get involved in marriage", and in some cases this might be practical (like the tax breaks) but things like inheritance, agency, medical decisions, and more become infinitely more complicated without a government-recognized system.

What the government should be focusing on is getting civil unions to be equal to licensed marriages and not worry about the definition of the word "marriage" as it's only going to cause strife and a whole bunch of problems, which it is and has been. It will probably eventually be dealt with just like segregation was, but that's going to take time and people don't like waiting. Fix the current problem and then settle in for the long haul of complaints from people who get their feelings hurt.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What the government should be focusing on is getting civil unions to be equal to licensed marriages and not worry about the definition of the word "marriage" as it's only going to cause strife and a whole bunch of problems, which it is and has been. It will probably eventually be dealt with just like segregation was, but that's going to take time and people don't like waiting. Fix the current problem and then settle in for the long haul of complaints from people who get their feelings hurt.
Separate is never equal.

In order to avoid separate but equal (as it was long deemed that separate but equal is inherently unequal), they should abandon marriage as a legal contract altogether. Everyone could get civil unions, and churches could perform marriages to whomever they wanted to, though these marriages would not be recognized by the government or get any legal benefits.

In order to avoid separate but equal (as it was long deemed that separate but equal is inherently unequal), they should abandon marriage as a legal contract altogether. Everyone could get civil unions, and churches could perform marriages to whomever they wanted to, though these marriages would not be recognized by the government or get any legal benefits.
Considering that because of the 14th Amendment the government guarantees equal protection under the law, if we have to have those few legal benefits that the government provides, then the government should provide them equally.

So I completely agree with you Obsessed

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I fail to see why gay rights activists don't see the obvious flaw in their strategy of making this a 14th Amendment issue as opposed to an Establishment clause issue - the problem that religious conservatives have with gay marriage (at least the honest ones speaking in good faith) is that it, in theory, forces churches to perform marriages that violate the precepts of their religion, because someone thought it'd be an awesome idea to make make the religious ceremony and the secular contract the same fucking thing.

So to boil it down:

You have Church authorities performing State functions.

Thus, by simply decreeing that gays can get married, you violate the 1st Amendment.
By denying this to gays, you violate the 14th Amendment.

So what is the only reasonable solution? Separate the civil contract from the religious ceremony, remove from the religious authority the State power to legally recognize marriages, so we can stop fucking talking about it already. It's such a simple fucking solution, but apparently, neither the Left nor the Right want to actually try it.
The left doesn't want to do it because gays are just another bean for them to count and to divide into little identity politics Hypenated-american enclaves, and the right doesn't want to do it because we believe "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." To conservatives, words and institutions mean something and are not to be subjected to social experimentation needlessly.

Also, I briefly skimmed Deck's argument, the crux of which is:

Deck Knight said:
The other camp believes that marriage is a societal institution established to encourage the ideal unit for raising children and continuing a functioning society.

, but I *think* what it boils down to is not so much religious prejudice, but another view which *I* find morally repellent, which is the concept of the State as defender of social order, which is not only deeply un-American (seeing that America is ideologically founded on Enlightenment Classical Liberalism despite its deeply Christian social roots, and the concept noted above is pretty much theantithesisof Enlightenment Classical Liberalism) but repugnant to my anti-statist sensibilities. There is a reason the Founders refused to establish a national church like the English (despite the English also being a Liberal Enlightenment culture), there is a reason why they limited the power of the State to the unprecedented extent that they did (and keep in mind that the Constitution was a huge step forward in state power compared to the Articles) - there is a reason why the First Amendment was...first (there is a reason why the original text of the Amendment did not place any limits on speech, including speech that might undermine the traditional order - they did not intend any). The original intent of American republicanism is utterly inconsistent with the concept of government defending *any* traditional order, including that of marriage.
Societal institutions and their formation can exist independent of the state. If the state were to immediately suspend all governmental benefits of marriage or double them, the social meaning of marriage would still be between one man and one woman. Marriage exists as one man and one woman because the overwhelming majority of Americans live their lives as if it is. It worked for their parents, and their parents parents, and their grandparents parents, and so on and so forth throughout all living memory. You have fallen into the trap you accuse me of slipping into in believing the state is the ultimate arbiter of all institutions. The state as it currently exists reinforces and incentivizes marriage, but does not and indeed, cannot define it.

No matter how many court cases activist judges win for the proponents of gay marriage, they will never be able to change the idea that marriage is the foundational institution for the creation and rearing of children and therefore, the genders involved in the relationship are foundational to its structure. No amount of legal handwringing can change physical reality. If biology is an insufficient failsafe to the logical apparatus then having the discussion is worthless because one side is not willing to admit a difference in kind between the arrangements. Until one side admits that the genders of the marriage relationship are not interchangable the debate cannot move forward because one side stands obstinantly athwart science. They get wrapped up in the word marriage and not its purpose.

Once you admit their are differences in kind between traditional marriage and gay marriage you can get to the actual substantive grievances of gay couples. They are concerned about hospital visitiations, about inheritance issues, about any of the myriad issues involved in caring for a special loved one. But none of these require a marriage to be properly addressed. In fact all of these concerns are within the purview of individual rights entirely removed from any discussion of sexuality.

And just because this keeps popping up, interacial marriage was also only taboo along one party: The Democratic Party. They still treat it like it's controversial and confusing while conservatives (at least all the ones I have ever known) have grown out of it. Republicans grew out of the Democrat Jim Crowe-Woodrow Wilson-Robert Byrd segregation bean counter model long ago. Interracial marriage and gay marriage are two entirely different things and only get conflated by those who, as outlined above, simply cannot grasp the idea that homosexual relationships are different in kind to heteosexual ones based solely on function. There is nothing inherently wrong with Separate and Unequal. Arguably a greater injustice is to elevate something Unequal to a Co-equal status when it is not. Do you lavish mediocrity the same as excellence, or punish excellence to spare mediocrity? That's nonsensical. Note that in the context of all of these discussions I am referring to the qualities of the relationship itself, not those who enter it. There are terrible heterosexual couples who by all rights should never have been married and there are morally upstanding monogamous gay couples, but that doesn't change the nature of their respective marriage relationships and their understood social functions. No matter how much fidelity, care, mutual love, trust, understanding, and all the other social values associated with a successful, societally beneficial marriage are exemplified by a given gay marriage, at the end of the day that relationship is about celebrating the love of two deeply committed adults, rather than as the central vehicle for societal continuation in a stable environment. That arrangement is definitely a net positive for society, but it is not a marriage as it is socially known through the instincts of most Americans.

Of course, the idea that the majority gets to decides universal rights, or even the rights under the Constitution, is something that is opposed by both Liberalism and Conservatism; the idea of absolute majority rule is more appropriate to Marxism and Fascism. Again, we look to the founders and notice that not only did they create an "upper house" that originally wasn't even electable by the people, they created a supreme court, also unelectable by the people, AND holding office for life, to interpret the law. Again, the original intent of the Founding was utterly opposed to total majority rule - why else did they put so many roadblocks to it?

Keep in mind majorities were against integration (though I oppose on principle the forced integration of private institutions, though that's a matter for another thread), and integration was essentially enshrined by "judicial activism" (never mind that both sides tend to protest only the judicial activism they dislike - I could point out a whole bevy of Supreme Court opinions that could only be considered judicial activism that conservatives applauded; the refusal to extend 1st Amendment protections to obscene or seditious speech cannot be considered "original intent" in any way, shape or form).

In short, the defenders of traditional marriage will do far more service for their cause by focusing their efforts to strengthen heterosexual love and heterosexual marriage (which is in dire straits at this point in time - culturally it is under assault from all quarters, while the economic incentives for marriage have been undermined for close to half a century, starting with the woefully misnamed "Great Society") than to waste their efforts acting as a vehicle for anti-gay prejudices.
I agree with you entirely on the last point, but you see only people who think marriage has a purpose anymore think like that. If you ask a supporter of gay marriage what the purpose of marriage is supposed to be, they reflexively call you a bigot for even asking the question. Their entire logical structure is that opposition to their pet cause is equivalent to fear and hatred of a class of people. Intellectual dishonesty is their bread and butter. This debate would go a lot more smoothly without drive-bys who simply use the topic of gay marriage to dump their religious bigotry and flit off to troll some other thread with their worthless smarm.

I'm just curious, for all the people who ask (or have asked) me if I know any gay people: Are you that intellectually dishonest that you think support for preserving the definition of a social institution that has been the same in America almost since its inception, that has been the standard for the entirety of nearly everyone's personal experience, is conclusive proof that you have an irrational fear or hatred of homosexuals? Have you ever examined the illogic inherent in that leap or have you glossed over it because that is all you have ever been taught, and it click-whirrs right past your logical apparatus? Just curious.

Not only have I met homosexuals, I went to a Bryant PRIDE meeting exactly because these same intellectually dishonest sorts thought I feared them. I knew they were being facetious when they asked me to come to a meeting but I showed up anyway, and gave constructive advice on their activities. Not that bean counting matters anyway, I don't sort my friends by their sexuality, skin color, or gender first and their character second, they aren't tools for me to pull out in a debate. I grow extremely weary of people who bash Christians day in and day out whining about bigotry and prejudice. I don't fear or hate anyone. Those are worthless, destructive emotions.

I understand the real concerns of gay people and unlike establishment liberals, I do not just view them as a bludgeon to use against religious people and then discard when it comes time to actually do something that would help them. I don't have it in me to be that morally bankrupt. My faith in God does not allow me to. To be truly religious is to be fearless and compassionaite. That is why religious people view marriage so strongly, because ultimately no matter how much damage is done to it we will still persevere, because marriage is written in our hearts, not our laws.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)