Resource PU Simple Question, Simple Answers Thread

As everyone knows, this beginning of the year for the PU was marked by a series of suspects to try to make this meta more attractive (Passimian, Magmortar and Archeops). In the meantime perhaps that of Aurorus or Kingler (who I think are the most plausible candidates), can we reasonably imagine that he will have discussions for the possible unban of some olds BL4 (in the manner of Hariyama in October)? I think especially Samurott, Tauros and Charizard (for Gallade and Sawk on the other hand it seems to me compromised)

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
As everyone knows, this beginning of the year for the PU was marked by a series of suspects to try to make this meta more attractive (Passimian, Magmortar and Archeops). In the meantime perhaps that of Aurorus or Kingler (who I think are the most plausible candidates), can we reasonably imagine that he will have discussions for the possible unban of some olds BL4 (in the manner of Hariyama in October)? I think especially Samurott, Tauros and Charizard (for Gallade and Sawk on the other hand it seems to me compromised)
I honestly doubt we will retest anything soon, or perhaps ever. I think anyone who was around during Charizard meta can confirm that it was 100% a pain to deal with; its set unpredictability is unparalleled. Z-Celebrate, Dragon Dance, Choice Specs, Z-Sunny Day, Bulky Swords Dance... It was just way too versatile with few sets sharing answers, if any at all, not to mention most sets being difficult to respond to on their own. Revenge killing wasn't easy, either, with Z-Hold Hands and Z-Celebrate avoiding most Choice Scarfers thanks to the Speed boost, as well as surviving those that outsped it thanks to the increased bulk.

Tauros is just way too strong with way too little reliable answers, with little to nothing walling Sheer Force Body Slam, Earthquake, Iron Tail, Fire Blast, Zen Headbutt, etc. It can't even be revenge killed reliably because it can also run a viable Choice Scarf set of its own, invalidating Pokemon such as Primeape and Pyroar.

Samurott seems to be widely considered the least broken of those in PUBL, but it's still quite a pain to deal with. Set unpredictability between special and Swords Dance sets were really big, not to mention the difficulty in beating each; special sets could lure checks with stuff like Knock Off, Taunt, and even mixed options such as Superpower; Swords Dance variants could blast through "answers" such as Gastrodon and Ferroseed with nukes such as Z-Superpower and Z-Megahorn, and stop revenge killing with a powerful Aqua Jet.

Overall, I think that all the bans we've done so far are still pretty justified, even in today's meta. Although suspecting something to come back down isn't impossible, in my opinion it's very, very unlikely.

Last edited:
I have a question about Sawsbuck. Now that it has access to Headbutt, is Serene Grace worth using over Sap Sipper? I understand having Sap Sipper allows you to freely switch into grass type moves as well as raising your attack and Headbutt also doesn't hit that hard but having a high chance to flinch could make up for the lack of power. There's also a lot of grass types in PU which gives Sap Sipper more opportunities to activate.
I'm a bit conflicted. Any thoughts?

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
I have a question about Sawsbuck. Now that it has access to Headbutt, is Serene Grace worth using over Sap Sipper? I understand having Sap Sipper allows you to freely switch into grass type moves as well as raising your attack and Headbutt also doesn't hit that hard but having a high chance to flinch could make up for the lack of power. There's also a lot of grass types in PU which gives Sap Sipper more opportunities to activate.
I'm a bit conflicted. Any thoughts?
Sadly, even with Serene Grace and Headbutt, a ParaFlinch based set is just too reliant on RNG to function very well, and faces problems from faster Pokemon that haven't been paralyzed, Pokemon that resist Normal such as Ferroseed, and an overall extreme lack of power. A Swords Dance set with Horn Leech, Jump Kick, and Double-Edge or Return has a much higher damage output and consistency.

I think this is far from a simple question, but I'll ask it here before creating a thread. If there's a better place to ask, let me know.

Why doesn't Gourgeist's Pickup activate with eaten Colbur Berries? I know that Pickup doesn't recover items that get Knocked Off, but the Colbur Berry is eaten before it gets knocked off. Is it like this in the cartridge games? Am I overlooking something obvious, or what gives?

TTK

Won't Catch Me Lacking.
is a Community Contributor
I think this is far from a simple question, but I'll ask it here before creating a thread. If there's a better place to ask, let me know.

Why doesn't Gourgeist's Pickup activate with eaten Colbur Berries? I know that Pickup doesn't recover items that get Knocked Off, but the Colbur Berry is eaten before it gets knocked off. Is it like this in the cartridge games? Am I overlooking something obvious, or what gives?
It doesn't work because Pickup only allows you to pick up one-use items the opposing pokemon used, not its own.

Read the description on Bulbapedia for a better answer, but basically Pickup works for consumed items by other Pokémon and not the user. If the item has already been consumed by the user, Pickup will not activate for it.

It doesn't work because Pickup only allows you to pick up one-use items the opposing pokemon used, not its own.
Read the description on Bulbapedia for a better answer, but basically Pickup works for consumed items by other Pokémon and not the user. If the item has already been consumed by the user, Pickup will not activate for it.
Ah! So there was an obvious answer after all. :) Thank you both for the quick answers.

Reactions: TTK

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
umm.. i was wondering why isn't it in NU or even RU
edit: this post was in a thread talking about torterra before it was moved
im not sure why it was moved here of all places, since PU actually gets no say in what is PU beyond our borderline banlist. Try asking the NU chat on PS; they will be able to give you a more specific answer.

But as for PU, it's not even particularly good here. As a defensive Grass-type, we have Tangela who is better atm, and so on. It is just outclassed in its roles

Last edited:
im not sure why it was moved here of all places, since PU actually gets no say in what is PU beyond our borderline banlist. Try asking the NU chat on PS; they will be able to give you a more specific answer.

But as for PU, it's not even particularly good here. As a defensive Grass-type, we have Tangela who is better atm, and so on. It is just outclassed in its roles
ok thanks

So what's the plan now? Since a lot of people seem to agree that PU has a serious problem concerning the overwhelming presence of 'mons. Are we just going to wait if we'll get some defensive 'mons back by the next tier shift? (even at then, only Gastrodon is rlly the only one coming back)

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
So what's the plan now? Since a lot of people seem to agree that PU has a serious problem concerning the overwhelming presence of 'mons. Are we just going to wait if we'll get some defensive 'mons back by the next tier shift? (even at then, only Gastrodon is rlly the only one coming back)
Well we just banned 2 very big threats, so it would be best to wait and see how the meta settles before moving forward.

We also have to consider the idea that maybe this is just how the metagame is, and push for more innovation to counteract it. Either way, current plan is a holding pattern to see what our next step should be

No one beats the bug

I COULD BE BANNED!
what is the definition of "viable"

Say some fool, completely ignorant about pokemon, were to claim a very-much-so viable pokemon was unviable

What evidence could be marshalled to prove that fool (or team of fools) wrong

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
what is the definition of "viable"

Say some fool, completely ignorant about pokemon, were to claim a very-much-so viable pokemon was unviable

What evidence could be marshalled to prove that fool (or team of fools) wrong
The definition of the word viable is 'capable of working successfully', which can also apply to Pokemon.

The evidence to prove that a pokemon is viable is usually replays, showing off what it can do in the tier. It also helps to talk about the team styles it fits on, what it does for those teams, how consistent it is at what it does, ect. Theres other ways of doing so but these are the main ones we see.

Mesprit for example fits on Offense, Bulky offense, Balance, Bulky balance, ect. Has multiple solid sets (Defensive rocks, Calm mind, Specs, Scarf ect.) And is insanely consistent at doing what it wants. It works well in almost any match up. Those are some reasons why it would be ranked so high.

Hope that answers your question, if you were even looking for an answer lol

No one beats the bug

I COULD BE BANNED!
The definition of the word viable is 'capable of working successfully', which can also apply to Pokemon.

The evidence to prove that a pokemon is viable is usually replays, showing off what it can do in the tier. It also helps to talk about the team styles it fits on, what it does for those teams, how consistent it is at what it does, ect. Theres other ways of doing so but these are the main ones we see.

Mesprit for example fits on Offense, Bulky offense, Balance, Bulky balance, ect. Has multiple solid sets (Defensive rocks, Calm mind, Specs, Scarf ect.) And is insanely consistent at doing what it wants. It works well in almost any match up. Those are some reasons why it would be ranked so high.

Hope that answers your question, if you were even looking for an answer lol
where should I post my accumulated replays, which prove viability beyond any shadow of a doubt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)