Project PU's 3rd Annual Secret Santa

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
:toast:Sign Ups are now Closed:toast:

You should be recieving your assigned cores later today as soon as I get some off time from class, homework, lifting, etc.

Remember Teams are due January 1st

Regarding appropriate team submissions I have provided a couple samples below from last years project. If you have any questions just let me know Via Discord, Smogon, or Pokemon Showdown

So I had the pleasure of rolling my favorite fuck buddy Rwby for secret santa and here's what I came up with!

Mesprit @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Dazzling Gleam / Uturn
- Psychic
- Fire Punch

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Toxic

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 236 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Volt Switch

Oricorio-Sensu @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility
- Revelation Dance
- Hurricane
- Calm Mind

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

This Mesprit set is quite boom or bust. Obviously it will break through certain offensive teams that rely on Skunk, Ferroseed, or Togedemaru to check Psychics. But it struggles to do anything vs fat teams as it can't really break or threaten stuff like Clefairy. Letting in Defensive Mesprits for a free slow uturn/rocks is also a downside which is why I slashed Uturn over Dgleam, but the cheeky coverage will catch people off guard well sometimes. Scarf Ape was the second required member of the team so not much to say here, except that god damn i hate Toxic on Ape. Im all for the patented Dibs strat but it just never really got clicked in my testing. The only thing I would ever see myself using it against is Palossand maybe, but you usually want to Uturn on most fighting checks anyways for good momentum. Spdef Regirock was the first partner for all the role compression it provides. It gives the team a really solid Oricorio check which the first two struggled with. I Added Eelektross next to check Bulky Grounds like Gastro and Palossand that hard wall the first 3. Eel is also good for bringing Mesprit in safely on Slow Volts and forms a nice volturn core with Ape. Double Dance Z Move Oricorio came next because I wanted a secondary fighting check and a solid Lilligant check. It also benefits a lot from Mesprit's ability to lure Togedemaru and Skuntank with HP Ground. Pawniard came last primarily to check Jynx and other Psychics but also does a few other nice things like secondary Normal resist and a real rock resist. Had a lot of fun building for you babe, hope you like it!
First
Hey Megazard, i'm ur Secret Santa! here's the team around Strength Sap Jumpluff you requested, its honestly pretty fun.

Jumpluff @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bounce
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Strength Sap

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Leftovers
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog
- Revelation Dance

Weezing @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast / Toxic Spikes

Metang @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Persian-Alola @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Parting Shot
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Taunt

Had a couple of issues initially trying to find good partners to build a core for a starting point but I wanted to capitalise on its ability to beat Ferroseed 1v1 and then I realised Oricorio-Pom Pom is a cheerleader too so I had to go with that. Next I wanted a real Fighting check since both Jumpluff and Pom Pom are kinda iffy and don't like Stone Edge/Ice Punch etc so I went with Weezing as it does the job well and can also check Stone Edge Archeops which troubled the core. Also, the last move on Weezing was a bit of a toss up between Fire Blast, TSpikes and Tbolt but I opted to go with Fire Blast because I wasn't too keen on having Jumpluff as my only measure for Ferroseed but I guess it's down to preference. After that I knew Jynx was a huge issue too so I went with Metang as the rocker because it offers a great Ice resist as well as being a decent Normal and Psychic check. Clefairy was added since it works great against Magmortar and other Fire Types as well as against Drampa which can absorb Jumpluff's Leech Seeds. Lastly, I was weak to things like Belly Drum Zangoose and Shell Smash Carracosta and I was also without a Z-Move so I thought Alolan Persian would be a great fit since Z-Parting Shot is great for healing up Weezing and Metang and it can check the two previously mentioned threats with Foul Play. Overall, the aim of the team is to Toxic everything and make Jumpluff super annoying to deal with, here is some replays were it kinda works:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-673047508
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-673048887
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-673053000

Hope you enjoy the team and Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
S
ecret Santa

Merry Chrysler! In the spirit of Christmas, I was assigned to build a team around Choice Band Alolan Sandslash for the one and only Slowbroth !
Given that Banded Alolaslash is a bit of a weird mon to have, I thought the only place it would have the chance to properly shine is in the snow. It was also a nod to having a White Christmas, something I’ve never had because every Chrissy is a scorcher and I’m always at Cronulla Beach getting burnt.

White Christmas Hail and spikes.

Aurorus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Sandslash-Alola @ Choice Band
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Waterfall
- Destiny Bond

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Healing Wish

Silvally-Ghost @ Ghost Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Parting Shot
- Defog
- Toxic

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Toxic

The team exploits both the chip damage from hazards and hail. I started off with Aurorus and Alolaslash given that it is mandatory for a hail team. I went with specs Aurorus because of its wallbreaking prowess and ability to 2HKO most of the meta. It also comes in on the mons that Alolaslash would struggle against and bops them which include Sableye and Quagsire. Next I knew I wanted spikes and my team was already weak to fighting so I went for defensive Qwilfish with Rocky Helmet. Qwilfish is great at setting spikes and it's access to Taunt and Destiny Bond ensures that not only are hazards up but it gets a kill. I knew that Qwilfish is not reliable against all fightings namely Primeape, so I backed the team up defensively with Mesprit. Mesprit provides Stealth Rocks, a blanket defensive check, momentum and healing wish which helps the team quite a lot. Silvally Ghost was added as a spinblocker and defogger and Togedemaru finishes off the team nicely by giving it a check to Dodrio, Alolacju and doing what scarf Togedemaru does in general.

You can change the Alolaslash set for a the Z-move set and the team would still work well, probably even better.

Replays:
Against Aaronboyer : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-833874448
Against curiosity : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-833877551
Against tondas : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-833865266

Enjoy x

Last edited:
A few days ago I received this letter from my dear friend 2xTheTap, crying for help ***
The fact that so many PU players still name Tangela as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" defensive Grass-type Pokemon ever only tells you how far Grass-type critic still is from becoming a serious discipline. Bug-type critics have long recognized that the greatest Bug-type Pokemon of all times is Scizor, who is not the most used right now, let alone of all times. Water-type critics rank the highly controversial Greninja over garbage like Toxapex who were highly popular months ago. Grass-type critics are still blinded by stats. Tangela has the most Defense (not true, by the way, it's only because of Eviolite), therefore it must be the greatest. Bug-type critics grow up playing with a lot of Bug-type OU Pokemon of the past, Water-type critics grow up swimming with a lot of Water types of the past. Grass-type critics are often totally ignorant of the Grass-type Pokemon of the past, they barely know the most used. No wonder they will think that Tangela does anything worthy of being saved. But I know that you can help. I know that you know. You know that Victreebel is the greatest and most flexible defensive Grass-type Pokemon of all time, so please help me show that to the world.
So I had to come back from my extended retirement for the last struggle. To show everyone the light. One last time. So I came up with this:

Victreebel @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Encore / Hidden Power Fire
- Sludge Bomb
- Strength Sap

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 152 Def / 208 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell

Claydol @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Regirock @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Counter
- Thunder Wave

Dodrio @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Reversal
i wish i still played so i could test it but i think it looks right enough. my idea was to use a defensive victreebel as a pivot in a team centered around dodrio. it has not horrible bulk and access to gluttony and strenght sap which make it suprisingly bulky and also punchy because of it's good attacking stat uninvested. it has the immunity to toxic and access to encore over tangela to better deal with stuff like regirock and deal with setup sweepers such as spiritomb which think they can do whatever they want against it. i don't have to mention the swag since it is a man-eating plant instead of a rapey ball of tentacles.
the rest of the team built itself with a small volturn core and the claydol+regirock stalwart which i think is fine to suit anyone's needs (and the former is also ok vs aggron which i heard is good). probably could use some extra physical hitters or trick users since spiritomb and other stuff that can shrug off a toxic can kinda do a number against the low pressure stuff in there. all around i hope you are happy enough with this or at least have a solid base to improve on. i hope this helps, happy holidays!

***this might be fictional

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)