In Progress !rank not showing on both sides and in replays

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Most commands support being used with either !command or /command, but only a few actually support broadcasting. For the others, !command will just do the same thing as /command.

This is fixable, though; we can make !command give an error message instead.

Would it be possible to have !rank show up in replays, though? There's certain circumstances in which the Elo of one of the players is relevant, and with ladder lag happeneing a lot more frequently, it seems somewhat useful. Since rank now defaults to one line, I think it isn't particularly floody enough, either.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Would it be possible to have !rank show up in replays, though? There's certain circumstances in which the Elo of one of the players is relevant, and with ladder lag happeneing a lot more frequently, it seems somewhat useful. Since rank now defaults to one line, I think it isn't particularly floody enough, either.
Yes, but it would require some more complication to how it currently works (instead of your computer → ladder → your computer, it would have to go your computer → sim → ladder → sim → your computer, so the sim could put it in the replay), which would make it a bit laggier, and further strain the already strained sim ↔ ladder connection (you might notice all the "could not retrieve ladder score" errors at the ends of battles). On the other hand, it's a tiny change that I'm sure wouldn't make a noticeable difference.

I'd accept it if a programmer were to PR that.

Slightly different question, but what's the main cause for ladder lag? If it resolves the Elo but not the other ratings, would it be possible to at least resolve the Elo, since that's what's usually displayed?

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
Slightly different question, but what's the main cause for ladder lag? If it resolves the Elo but not the other ratings, would it be possible to at least resolve the Elo, since that's what's usually displayed?
It's possible for the sim to independently calculate and display the updated Elo, yes.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
I'm setting this to Approved, but note that this thread discusses multiple proposed changes, all of which are approved:

- nonbroadcastable commands, when used with !, should give an error message instead of doing the same thing as /

- !rank should be supported (will require a sim-ladder server roundtrip)

- updated Elo should be displayed even if a ladder update crashes

Reactions: pre

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)