rant thread but you can only rant about incredibly specific things that most likely wouldn't bother other people

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
nearly everyone in my computer science class apparently already has a lot of knowledge in the coding program we're using so every time we get an assignment they're always like "can we use this technique" or whatever and the professor says no because she hasn't covered it in class and then they all complain about it

as someone who literally never wrote a line of code before my first class this is the probably the most mildly annoying thing i've ever experienced

of course i understand why they would be annoyed at that (a lot of the people in that class are actually pretty cool) it's just that hearing terms that i won't learn about weeks from whenever students mention them gets confusing and i feel like i'm way behind

i had that experience when i first took calculus in college. i'm blanking on the name of the rule/theorem but it was a simpler way of finding a limit (and i think derivative) but it assumed you had prior knowledge of how to find one, so my classmates kept bitching that my professor was doing something the long way (for the same reasons you mentioned) even though he told them they were free to use whatever method they wanted on exams. meanwhile my 18 year old brain was struggling how to do it the normal way, never mind the method my fellow stem lords were whining about.

my current rant involves the shitty implementation of pronouns on nearly every platform that supports them. they're added as a way for companies to pat themselves on the back and look progressive, but you'll soon realize they're buried in areas nobody is going to look. instead of showing them on the preview section when hovering over someones account, they put them under the full profile section or somewhere that involves multiple clicks, as if anyone is going to view that before interacting (most people don't even know these things exist). it's no different than a 2009 forum interaction where someone has female listed on their profile but are still misgendered as a man. slack handles this well, displaying them on the "full profile" which is something you'll click often for that persons information in general, but if you expect anyone to click my name and then "about me" where you'll also learn my 3 fun facts and dogs name before responding to hot take, you're dumb.

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Despite living in off-campus housing, my building is still renting a laundry machine which means I have to pay $1.25 to wash and $1.25 to dry in quarters. I do not have a car, so I had to walk 17 minutes to TD Bank and 17 minutes back across one of the steepest hills I've ever seen just so I can wash my clothes :puff:

Classification of playstyles for Tabletop RPGs is underdeveloped. It's obviously useful when trying to find a system or group that you would fit in well with to be able to describe what you are looking for in a game. Meanwhile, you go on roll20 and look at the page for figuring out a system, and it just has a single axis: rules-light vs rules-heavy. Not that it even bothers declare it as a spectrum: it just groups all versions of D&D and its derivatives under a single "rules-heavy" umbrella. Go look at 3.5e and compare it to 5e (or fail to because the former isn't under a restrictive copyright and the latter is) and tell me with a straight face they have the same amount of rules content.

Never mind the amount of rules, don't you think that maybe what those rules focus on would be useful information to convey easily? I've at least seen a small amount of effort here, though it seems rarer when talking about the design of a game than I think it should be. I've seen it primarily with three categories: focusing on the story, focusing on the gameplay itself, and focusing on the world being believable (narrativist/gamist/simulationist), with possibly an extra for the casual player just wanting a good time with their friends. Now maybe if I was focused on the story I wouldn't be seeing an issue with these categories, but to me this lacks critical depth in the gamist category. It fails to distinguish between playing a game because you want to see the action between the most optimized characters somebody can achieve, playing because you want to see your own characters become powerful, and most importantly to me, playing because the game mechanics are interesting and you want to see what can be done with them. Playstyle classifications that are not used for TTRPGS have these distinctions (Magic: the gathering, for example, uses both pretty much this set of divisions while also having an independent axis for how much those preferences then toward mechanics or flavour), but in my experience they haven't come up when trying to find a workable group or system.

Part of why this bothers me so much is that, at least in my corner of Tabletop RPGs, it's very noticeable ingame when you have keywords that can clearly define what sort of thing is going on, yet apparently nobody actually extends that to out-of-game activities.

i would like the record to state that i did not know smogon added pronouns... but now i feel like my case is even stronger

see how much fucking better and efficient this would be?

View attachment 372232
honestly efficiency lead to less roads for comedy. Make this entire website inefficient af, cause minor misunderstandings the more you stare at the screen and destroy all forms of stability on this site.

martinvtran

Banned deucer.
the most mildly annoying thing ever is madison beer's outfit at the metgala :pirate: i feel like she is literally one of the hottest humans in hollywood and she could look good in anything but that green dress made her look very grandma-ish and she could definitely do so much better for her first metgala. but she ate up the vma's and was the best dressed so it makes up for it.

Reactions: pix

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
when I'm in a work meeting and someone says something like "blah blah however blah blah" and I can tell that they don't know how to correctly punctuate the word however because they aren't pausing long enough before saying it

also when people type "my dumbass" instead of "my dumb ass"

alas language is always evolving...

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Honestly those soyboys on there who define themselves by their consumer choices and the preferenced they had as children really get on my nerves. Nobody cares that you used to like banjo kazooie. Like literally, nobody is even mildly interested in what games you played as a child. Stop wearing that t shirt and lazer that tattoo ofd your ass.

You're an adult. It's unhealthy to define yourself this much by your childhood interests. Let your kid play the games that he wants to play and define his own childhood, instead of trying to hijack these years of his life to use it as another trophy shelf for your own memories. Those games you are trying to desperately make him like, he's not gonna like them. He won't, because they suck. They are fucking garbage games by today's standards. If minecraft or fortnite existed back then, everybody would have been playing that instead. Let your kid have fun, and grow up, you manchild. You have a son. If you are still this desperately empty that you are trying to define your life with novelties, you clearly don't appreciate what it means to be a father.

This is what happens when you pretend that we're past "you need to become a man" as a society. They don't.

/rant

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The brick physics in Super Mario All Star's SMB1 and Lost Levels bug the hell out of me. In the OG games, when Mario does a running jump into a brick, he's pushed down so he can keep running. However, in All Stars, Mario actually crashes into the adjacent brick when he does a running jump, totally killing your momentum. It really wrecks the rhythm of the game for me, so I stick to the NES originals!

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Ok so people always bring up skunks and shit for their bad smells but can we talk about those men who unload an ENTIRE CAN OF AXE BODY SPRAY???? Like oh my god some wastemen just unload the most unnecessary amount of this shit ever and it makes me want to take them off the next census
axe-12.jpg

You shouldn't need to spray for more than like 3 seconds at most in your armpits or something, NOT UNLOAD THE ENTIRE BLOODY THING ON YOUR FUCKING SHIRT OR WHATEVER WHERE IT'S LITERALLY IRRELEVANT. It makes you smell fucking horrific, my nose actually stings and my lungs feel like they're gonna come out. If I do as much as open my mouth around these people I literally start gagging as the particles SAIL on into the back of my throat and I just want the ground to open up and swallow me. I swear it is the single-most unattractive thing cus you know the guy is a privileged shitter who'll burn a hole in your purse buying 50 cans of this and using like 3 a day while your nose just blows up. AN ENTIRE CAN OF AXE, MAN, I AM NOT JOKING. Mans coming through the door and the smell just floors you while they, for some ungodly unexplainable reason that defies the laws of modern science, somehow can't smell the reason they're a menace to society. I am not a violent person but the sheer wastefulness of these nose destroying troglodytes genuinely makes me want to wring their necks. Or not, they'll punt me into next week or shank me. Maybe some shoulder shaking.

Also, in high school, this shit was the WORST, you'd have entire COLONIES of these bastards in PE. Like when I was stuck in the changing rooms within MINUTES these people would get their axe cans out and it was curtains. Maybe some guy would get out lynx if he's feeling mature only to do the most immature thing that is unloading it all on his chest where it just doesn't do shite. It's a wonder it didn't knock me out as the second I'd open my mouth to speak or something it'd sail in and before I know it I'm gagging while these seemingly immortal beings act like they didn't set off the nose equivalent of a nuclear fucking bomb. It was like Hiroshima in these places every week and I refuse to say it wasn't.

I swear to god spray deodorant is just the worst thing ever given to the English population. Why can't these people just be forced to use roll ons or something? You'd be doing the planet a favour.

EDIT: YEAH THIS SHIT I FUCKING HATE IT

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
Honestly those soyboys on there who define themselves by their consumer choices and the preferenced they had as children really get on my nerves. Nobody cares that you used to like banjo kazooie. Like literally, nobody is even mildly interested in what games you played as a child. Stop wearing that t shirt and lazer that tattoo ofd your ass.

You're an adult. It's unhealthy to define yourself this much by your childhood interests. Let your kid play the games that he wants to play and define his own childhood, instead of trying to hijack these years of his life to use it as another trophy shelf for your own memories. Those games you are trying to desperately make him like, he's not gonna like them. He won't, because they suck. They are fucking garbage games by today's standards. If minecraft or fortnite existed back then, everybody would have been playing that instead. Let your kid have fun, and grow up, you manchild. You have a son. If you are still this desperately empty that you are trying to define your life with novelties, you clearly don't appreciate what it means to be a father.

This is what happens when you pretend that we're past "you need to become a man" as a society. They don't.

/rant
bro you are on a pokemon website

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
"@ Matchmaking Ayup mate hop on Tekken"
"Damn man I would play but I'm on vacation!!!"
Have you been on the receiving end of this behaviour in a fighting game Discord? If so, you may be entitled to financial compensation from the May Estate.

Words cannot express how annoying this is and I make it a rule to not do it in any server I moderate. If you're the type of person self-centred enough to do this, consider the following: don't! Especially if you're the type to reply or ping back like a fucking dickhead! If I get replied to, I'm likely setting up my console and shit to get organised to play, and when your sorry ass is whimpering at me saying "oh I can't play :/" all it does is inconvenience me. You add NOTHING when doing this other than the emptiest words possible. The ping is for asking for games! If you can't play, don't answer and waste people's time! You are not sorry you can't play, you're not contributing anything, all you're doing is the equivalent of taunting someone who's trying to get on that grind and practice for tournaments. Take a hike.

People who say "can you play in 10 mins" and whatnot are chill asf tho you preach that shit

Have you been on the receiving end of this behaviour in a fighting game Discord? If so, you may be entitled to financial compensation from the May Estate.

Words cannot express how annoying this is and I make it a rule to not do it in any server I moderate. If you're the type of person self-centred enough to do this, consider the following: don't! Especially if you're the type to reply or ping back like a fucking dickhead! If I get replied to, I'm likely setting up my console and shit to get organised to play, and when your sorry ass is whimpering at me saying "oh I can't play :/" all it does is inconvenience me. You add NOTHING when doing this other than the emptiest words possible. The ping is for asking for games! If you can't play, don't answer and waste people's time! You are not sorry you can't play, you're not contributing anything, all you're doing is the equivalent of taunting someone who's trying to get on that grind and practice for tournaments. Take a hike.

People who say "can you play in 10 mins" and whatnot are chill asf tho you preach that shit
I can agree on this one. There is nothing worse than people who answer "maybe" when you are making plans involving them.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

is this a copypasta bc this is an insane position to hold

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)