Lower Tiers RBY UU Potential Ban(s) Discussion [Dragonite Suspect Test]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
With RoA Olympics and RBYPL, we've had several chances to really try out the tier. I don't think anything new came out of these tours (though correct me if I'm wrong) which also means that the meta is more or less settled and stable. With that in mind, we have to think about of there is anything we need to ban, to improve the meta.

Some months ago, a survey was given out that talked about how we could potentially improve the tier. The tier is generally fine now, but it may be improvable, according to the results. The main things that are considered to be banable are: a Agility + Wrap complex ban, a ban on the move wrap, a ban on Dragonite and a ban on Tentacruel. We will be having a swiss RBY UU tournament in December. With the two tournaments behind us and this tournament ahead, we should think about and discuss which, if any, of these options we should put to a suspect test. Also we should get a firm position on the possibility of the complex ban, since that is generally a hot topic in general.

As always let's keep insults, especially personal attacks, out of this and focus on the topic at hand.

If I missed anythjng, please let me know and I can edit this post.

Last edited:

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Alright, so I have a few opinions on this topic as a long time RBY UU player, but I figured I would wait for more "established" players to lead the conversation and I would respond to them. However, I got impatient so I guess it'll be me who starts the conversation (assuming anyone replies to this post).

First, I want to state that I take a very loose approach to tiering and banning, especially when it comes to old gen lower tiers. The player bases are pretty small and developments are relatively slow, so I think arranging bans in such a way that makes most players happy is arguably a better basis to go off of then the approach we see in more current gens. In other words, I don't see anything wrong with looking into "complex bans." This is not to criticize more modern tiering methods by the way. It's just that different tiers and generations have different environments and player bases that demand different attention.

Anyway, allow me to go through each of the bans Sevi 7 purposed.

Tentacruel
At this point in the meta, I really don't see any reason to ban Tentacruel. Tentacruel kind has an influence fairly similar to Primal Groudon in ORAS Ubers or Snorlax in GSC OU. These three Pokemon are all pretty clearly at the top of their respective tiers, but the way in which they manipulate the tier is generally well-received by the players. While Primal Groudon and Snorlax are insanely good, I think most players enjoy their presence and believe they contribute positively to the tier overall. Tentacruel has a similar way of stabilizing the meta of RBY UU. However, I would argue that Tentacruel is significantly worse than both Primal Groudon and Snorlax in their respective tiers. Tentacruel lacks the sheer level of versatility of either of those two Pokemon and actually has a comprehensive list of several genuine checks and counters. To be completely honest, I think, relative to their tiers, the trio of Tauros, Chansey, and Snorlax is much more dominant than Tentacruel. Moreover, I think the gap between the trio and the average OU Pokemon might be bigger than Tentacruel and the average UU Pokemon. Ultimately, while Tentacruel is on virtually every serious UU team, it just isn't broken. It can be handled pretty effectively and it's not like dittos decide games all that frequently (unlike what occasionally occurs between two Tauros in OU). And even if you disagree with me on Tentacruel being broken, I don't think any UU player wants to see Tentacruel gone. Tentacruel not only keeps the meta stable, centralized, and in check, but is also what makes UU interesting. It gives UU an identity apart from OU; the tiers have little in common. I for one have no interest in taking that away. Do Not Ban.

Wrap

This is pretty much the same case as Tentacruel. On its own, Wrap isn't all that difficult to deal with. Not only is there an abundance of viable Pokemon that can get around it with higher speed, the move is pretty exploitable. Choosing to use Wrap mindlessly obviously leaves you open to misses, but it also allows sleeping Pokemon to wake up and is often much less punishing to faster Pokemon looking to switch in than just using a normal attacking move. Wrap is a genuine strategy and does require a degree of skill and player involvement to actually get some use out of it. And once again, I think Wrap is a big part of the UU identity and I and other players just like playing with and against it. Do Not Ban.

Dragonite

Dragonite is on the chopping block for exactly one reason, and that's its access to Agility + Wrap. That is all there is to it. I will discuss this further in just a moment, so hold on. Dragonite as it is, especially without Agility + Wrap, is a very positive addition to the tier. I would go on about specific details like the Dugtrio matchup or access to Thunder Wave, but there really is no point. If you have a vested interest in this thread at all, you know what Dragonite does and the variety of roles it can play. It's perhaps the most diverse and interesting Pokemon in all of RBY and it would be a shame to get rid of it simply because of Agility + Wrap. Do Not Ban.

Agility + Wrap

Agility + Wrap is the only thing I would actually consider looking at in this tier. More than anything else, Agility + Wrap is just kind of annoying. To be completely honest, I'm not even sure if Agility + Wrap is the most viable strategy. Literally every time I use Agility, my next Wrap misses. I'm not even kidding, I'm riding like a ten game streak of missing my first Wrap after Agility (and usually dying to a Blizzard immediately). If this strategy is your whole game plan, I'd consider revising it a little. However, it is still true that Agility + Wrap can win games, or at least put you in a position where you really shouldn't lose. And this can be the penalty for messing up on just a single turn. It's pretty steep and definitely something that can be worthy of a ban. The biggest issue with this ban is that it is ugh a complex ban. So now I have to argue laboriously on why I think this the most appropriate course of action as opposed to banning the constituent parts, i.e. Wrap, Agility, and Dragonite. Before I do so, I do want to say that if we suspect/ban anything, I'm looking to go for Agility + Partial-Trapping, not Agility + Wrap. I think the distinction between the four partial-trapping moves is completely arbitrary, so banning one but not the others seems really odd to me. This is despite the fact that Moltres is terrible in UU. Anyway, please allow me make an argument that will convince nobody except the people who already agree with me.

Wrap in it of itself just isn't broken in the UU environment, simple as that. The users of the move are not fast enough to exert that oppressive of an influence over the tier where it becomes an issue. There are plenty of Pokemon that outpace the fastest Wrap user (Tentacruel, or Rapidash, I guess) and are totally viable in their own right. Pokemon like Kadabra and Persian are amazing in a Wrap metagame, but would almost certainly continue to be even if Wrap was removed entirely. Moreover, you still have other counter play options like Haunter to work with. Basically, you have plenty of options to handle Wrap and all of them are good regardless, so it's not like you have to use inferior Pokemon just to handle it. You can contrast this with Baton Pass, for example, which forces you to make otherwise sub-optimal decisions for your teams and move sets.

Banning Agility is just kind of silly. I think there is a case to be made to ban Wrap, but there really isn't one for Agility. The move is pretty inoffensive and it is an interesting part of the metagame for Pokemon such as Articuno. Admittedly, banning Agility would probably have the least amount of collateral damage of all "simple" bans, but it is by far the hardest to justify. That's all the time I'm giving to this because I can't say I've ever heard anyone seriously argue for banning Agility. Though if you are that person, I am ready to hear you out.

Banning Dragonite is probably the most logical thing to do, but I disagree with that. First, is that I think it misses the point. Dragonite is not broken. It's fairly unique access to two particular moves is the issue here. The actual problem here is Agility + Wrap as an abstract concept. When the issue with a Pokemon is a particular strategy, especially one that warps the functioning of the game, it is typical to go after the strategy and not the Pokemon. The simplest example would be Arena Trap. Dugtrio is far and away the most egregious abuser of Arena Trap, but it proves more reasonable to ban Arena Trap because the reality is Dugtrio is not an issue. The way in which Arena Trap manipulates the game is, so it was banned instead of any particular Pokemon. Bans on Drizzle and Drought in newer generation lower tiers are very similar. Even when Politoed was the only legal Drizzle user in PU through UU in ORAS, the lower tiers chose to ban Drizzle instead of Politoed because Politoed just isn't broken. The concept of an ability that can alter the weather is the issue, so that is what was removed. I believe this was the right decision. For examples more similar to our case of Agility + Wrap, I direct you to the Sleep Trap Clause of GSC and the Comatose Sleep Talk Clause of SUMO Balanced Hackmons. For GSC, they could have banned Mean Look or Spider Web, Sleep moves, or a small pool of like seven Pokemon that abuse the strategy. Instead of any of those three things, they chose to ban the strategy because the substituent elements of the strategy as well as the Pokemon with access to it were deemed important parts of the tier that shouldn't be removed. (By the way, before you say "Dragonite is only one Pokemon, so it's completely different," I want to say that that point makes no sense. If we are willing to make a complex ban to save more than one Pokemon, there is no non-arbitrary reason that it can't be used to save exactly one Pokemon. Moreover, it's not like when Dragonair uses Agility + Wrap, the strategy suddenly becomes competitive. I've seen it and it's nearly as ridiculous. Further yet, ADV OU has arranged its Baton Pass Clause in such a way to save just a single Pokemon, Smeargle. Smeargle or Baton Pass easily could have been banned, but the player base preferred to keep both around. Meanwhile, I don't think Smeargle is even half as desirable as Dragonite, so if we can keep Smeargle around, we can definitely keep Dragonite around.) For SUMO, both Comatose and Sleep Talk (and Pseudo-Hazing) were all considered necessary elements of the Balanced Hackmons Tier, but the the issue of normal priority pseudo-hazing needed to be dealt with. The result was a complex ban, for it preserved the valuable elements of the tier and carefully cut out the undesirable aspects. I hope that you see my point here. There is precedent to ban just Agility + Wrap and I believe it is the best course of action. It keeps the meta the way I believe most players want to play it. And to me at least, that's more important than minimizing "complex bans."

So, I'm sure some of you found that argument convincing and the rest of you are just irritated by the idea of complex bans. So here is my verdict. If this ban is considered acceptable, Agility + Wrap (or Agility + Partial-Trapping) should be suspected. If we can't agree on implementing a complex ban, Do Nothing. I'd rather play UU exactly as it is with the mild nuisance of Agility + Partial Trapping than start tearing it apart with bans on Pokemon and mechanics I deem fundamental to the RBY UU experience. If you want to call me biased or self-serving because of that opinion, I won't disagree with you. I know the kind of game I want to play and that's what I'm going to argue for. And frankly, the logic I used to make this point makes perfect sense in my head.

I hope this will help spark some discussion and get the tier moving. I would really like to wrap this tier up soon so we figure out exactly what does and doesn't belong and get to officially tiering RU/NU. As a reminder to both myself and anyone who wishes to reply to this post, please be civil. We all get heated about this silly game sometimes. Cheers!

*Note: I don't feel like proofreading this right now, so I'll probably make some edits to clean it up in the future. I'll make a note at the end of this post if I ever get around to it.

edit: I did some cleaning and added some bits to my arguement.

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
dragonite.png

Look at that face. This is the face of a murderer.
Agility + Partial Trapping as a whole should just not be in the tier. The fact a bunch of Pokemon (eg. Persian) run Toxic almost solely for a chance to stop Dragonite from running your team down is a testament to how devastating it can be. Sure, I guess it applies to that random Moltres you met on a spotlight ladder or something, but it's Dragonite you're actively aiming for. Volk generally covered all the bases I have, but I want to explain my stance a bit.

On its own, Dragonite is a very healthy part of RBY UU. Wrap pivoting with it is fun, and the wide movepool makes it very customizable for a team. Hell, a ban on Agility + Partial Trapping would just make Dragonite even more healthy, encouraging more diverse movesets that give the tier more depth overall. It really is just a build-a-dragon workshop, y'know? Thunder Wave support, Agility Sweeper, All-Out Attacker, the various coverage options, the list goes on. It's taking you out for dinner in the day and princess carrying you to bed and tucking you in. It's all well and good.

But the second you're faced with that +2 Speed Dragonite, it's no longer that cool guy that takes you out to get that KFC. It's your sleep paralysis demon that stands over your bed, incoherently mumbling "Wrap" over and over again. Sure, it may miss a few times, or even get hit by Blizzard in that process, but does this always happen? No. Even if it misses a Wrap and dies, chances are you've taken significant damage across multiple Pokemon just to get that chance. Just because the strategy can result in a miss doesn't balance it out, and we all know that it isn't how most Wrap sweeps go: you get tons of data for free, and you're going to utilize it for prediction. Data that, in my opinion, shouldn't be given to you. The advantage you get during that AgiliWrap sweep is so obnoxiously lopsided and uninteractive, it's awful to fight. Not to mention a miss doesn't even guarantee Dragonite is going to get hit, and not all Pokemon can contest it either. What're Dodrio and Persian gonna do if they aren't running Toxic? Cry as they try to Body Slam and paralyze it? In an ideal scenario, there is quite literally nothing you can do, and Dragonite will just take it to turn 100 as it slowly and painfully squeezes the life out of your team. PP stalling Dragonite with Omastar + Haunter cores isn't what I would call a fun, interactive or healthy game state either. Even if you do manage to paralyze it, it can still Agility again to ignore the speed drop and maim you with its powerful coverage options.

However, as you may have noticed, there are a few things in that paragraph that are specific to Dragonite, namely that it can change its strategy to use its coverage options once you (finally) paralyze it. This is something that Rapidash and Moltres - the only other "AgiliWrap" sweepers in the game that are reserved to Fire Spin - can't really do. Plus, their damage output during this is a bit less of a sting than the 12% crit Wrap Dragonite will sometimes dish out and call you a bitch for taking. Perhaps this furthers the argument that Agility + Wrap specifically should go, but at that point, you may as well ban Dragonite, as it's not like Moltres or Dragonair will be seen anywhere near as often. This would also avoid the complex ban.

I know this may come off as a bit emotional, but I genuinely think this is the one thing holding RBY UU back as a nice tier. This is probably the only time I will ever believe a complex ban is appropriate. This is a really difficult debate...

Last edited:
I would like to contribute to this discussion as someone who thoroughly enjoys playing RBY UU. I've been liking the discussion so far, let's keep it up!

Spr 1y 149.png

A ban on Dragonite
I will start off with this once since I have heard the least arguments in favor for it out of all the potential bans. Looking at Dragonite in UU, any worthiness of being banned it has earned itself is due to its ability to run an Agility + Wrap set. Including from this RBY PL season, we have seen players bring more defensive Dragonite sets without Agility or Wrap and I am yet to hear any argument that claims this kind of set is too much for RBY UU. Once again, I think most player’s problem with Dragonite is its ability to use its Agility + Wrap set rather than its stats, typing, coverage, etc. I also think banning a healthy figure in the metagame solely to avoid a complex ban is not a comprimise we have to settle for.

Spr 1y 073.png

A ban on Tentacruel
This is another potential ban I have not really heard much argument in favor of, though it was a somewhat popular option from Shellnuts’ poll (43.75%) and is of course worth discussing. Tentacruel is arguably the Pokémon that defines RBY UU. It has a consistent 100% usage rate, it is the metric by which a Pokémon’s speed stat is judged, it is capable both offensively and defensively, and is impactful in nearly every game. Despite all of this and more, I do not think Tentacruel is broken or dominant enough to the point where it should be banned. RBY UU is of course filled with both offensive and defensive checks that can punish the limited effectiveness Wrap has on them. For example, a player can never be entirely sure of what their opponent has that can punish a Tentacruel being locked into Wrap until it is revealed, somewhat similar to Dugtrio in ADV OU. It is also important to note that enabling a Tentacruel to be effective throughout a game is not as simple as getting rid of or crippling an opponent’s Tentacruel checks. It is still very effective at every stage of the game due to its Water/Ice coverage and ability to shut down slower Pokémon, but rarely does it go unchecked to the point where it is able to sweep freely. Even if Tentacruel is given such an opportunity, it has to deal with the inconvenient 85% accuracy of Wrap which it is so reliant on to generate chip damage against slower threats. Couple this with the fact that many of these slower Pokémon Tentacruel needs to weaken with Wrap, mainly Hypno who rivals Tentacruel’s 100% usage rate, have some method of paralyzing it meaning Tentacruel will not always have an easy time. I think there is just too much in this tier that keeps Tentacruel in check to the point where it is not broken.

Spr 1y 073.png
Spr 1y 149.png

A ban on the move Wrap
I have already touched on some of the weaknesses of Wrap and both of its abusers, so I will just try to summarize here. There are multiple Pokémon in this tier that can punish or take advantage of Wrap with their offensive presence along with more defensive picks that can potentially stall it out. Getting rid of your opponent’s Wrap answers will never be easy unless they play poorly or you get some sequence of really good luck. Even if you are able to accomplish this, Wrap’s unreliable accuracy can leave openings for the Wrap users to be shut down. In Tentacruel’s case; the common ground, psychic, electric, and paralysis inducing moves can stop its momentum. As for Dragonite, it is slow without Agility and Toxic can severely limit it as can any ice-type coverage, most of which can OHKO.

Spr 1y 149.png

A complex ban on Agility + Wrap
As this move combination only pertains to Dragonite, I would like to point out some trends with this Pokémon in particular from this RBY PL season.

Out of a total of 43 individual RBY UU games each with 12 Pokémon, Dragonite was brought 50 times. Of those instances in which Dragonite was brought, only 13 had or were able to use Agility throughout the entire game.

Now there is probably a better way to present this information, but I think it still gets the point across that Agility + Wrap Dragonite is not all that prominent. I would be more inclined to be in favor of this ban if it was an important factor in the majority of games or if games were often decided by who uses Agility first, though this really is not the case. As Volk mentioned in his post, Agility + Wrap Dragonite is certainly annoying but it is probably not the most viable strategy.
While I think usage has a good correlation with how good something is, I would also like to point out some of the flaws Agility + Wrap Dragonite has. Having to choose between Blizzard, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Body Slam, Hyper Beam, and a few other, more niche options is a clear symptom of four moveslot syndrome. Dragonite cannot bring the right moves for every situation and even when it does, the moves it has to hit its checks have a limited effectiveness. Using Thunderbolt as an example; Omastar, Tentacruel, Articuno, and Vaporeon all generally take downwards of 40%, meaning at the very least 60% from Wrap has to be dealt from full in order to put them in to range, all while the Dragonite has to avoid missing and being OHKO’d by a Blizzard. Speaking of the Pokémon that serve as checks to Dragonite, Haunter is worth a mention as Dragonite has no coverage move it can use to get around it. Counterplay to Dragonite also comes in other forms besides picking certain defensive Pokémon. Toxic has become standard on Dugtrio and Persian and additional ice-type coverage on a team, such as Blizzard Kangaskhan, can create an environment in which Dragonite has trouble setting up.
The reason I bring up most of the possible counterplay to Agility + Wrap Dragonite is to emphasize that a team that is Dragonite weak can take measures to fix that weakness without suffering from a loss of viability, something that cannot be said about other Pokémon who have been banned in other generations and tiers. It is also to emphasize that setting up Dragonite to sweep is something that should not go overlooked. The process requires scouting and proper resource management in order to be executed effectively and even from that point, Dragonite and the move Wrap have their shortcomings.

..........​

In closing, I am not in favor of any of the proposed bans. If the RBY UU community is really set on holding a suspect test on or banning something however, I would least disagree with the Agility + Wrap complex ban since it preserves Dragonite as a valid pick. Though, I still very much disagree with the motivation behind the stated ban and would rather preserve RBY UU as it currently stands.

Last edited:
I’ll give some discussion points as well.

I wanna preface this by pointing out that I am very much anti-complex ban. I won’t give a scientific explanation for it. It’s just that I am a big believer of playing a Pokemon with all the weapons it was given by the game (within the obvious regulations such as no Double Team/Minimize or OHKO moves). If we only ban a certain move combination on a Pokemon such that we don’t have to ban the Pokemon itself, we might as well ban all the moves that make Mewtwo broken on it. I assure take away enough of it’s moves and even it will not be broken anymore. After all this is a philosophical question and I simply happen to fall on the “no complex bans” site.

There’s one potentially problematic thing in this tier and that is obviously Wrap. Some people might say that it adds control to the tier and gives it a way to manage the pace of games and such. And there is certainly merit behind those kinds of statements. On the other hand, It is frustrating and boring to play against (and with) sometimes. I’ll try to point out the negatives that I see with Wrap, and they way I’ll do so is by looking at each of the two Pokemon in the meta that use it. Both of those Pokemon bring very different concerns with them, despite of the fact that Wrap is the very root of those concerns.

Tentacruel

I believe that Wrap is problematic on Tentacruel because it creates a metagame that feels unnatural. I know this is an abstract (and probably subjective) statement, but I’ll try to explain what I mean by that. Since Wrap is so oppressive coming from such a fast Pokemon, it forces people to use options that outspeed Tentacruel on their teams (at least one of Dugtrio, Kadabra, Persian, Electabuzz), since having a team where your own Tentacruel is the fastest member makes your own Tentacruel match-up really unpleasant. Fair and well, you’ll say, Dugtrio, Kadabra and Persian would be good regarldless. Let’s just say that this is true (which it is for Persian and Kadabra, Dugtrio would not be the go-to physical, there’s just stronger options…). Electabuzz however is not a natural UU-Pokemon. You see, in RBY you have very clear-cut roles that certain Pokemon fill. Usually there is no need to have two Pokmon in the same tier that fill very similar roles. Examples are Rhydon vs Golem or Victreebel vs Venusaur in OU. Very similar Pokemon but one just sets itself apart from the other by tiny margins which makes them rightfully not end up in the same tier. With Electabuzz the role is simply “Electric-type”. For this role you have the choice between Raichu and Electabuzz. Very similar stats, but one big difference. Raichu has Surf as coverage and Electabuzz Psychic. Surf is by far the surperior coverage option for an Electric type (it hits ground types if you haven’t noticed). That simply makes Raichu the natural UU-Choice over Electabuzz in the same way It makes Rhydon and Victreebel the natural OU-choices over Golem and Venusaur. Regardless, Electabuzz would end up in UU (alongside Raichu). And the only reason for that is that it outspeeds Tentacruel. Something similar can be said about the “bulky-water” choice. Take away Wrap and I don’t think we see Omastar in this tier since Vaporeon is simply the better Pokemon. Admittedly, Omastar’s presence is not due to Tentacruel’s Wrap, but due to Dragonite’s Wrap, but it’s still unnatural, if you know what I’m saying. Some other things that strike me as unnatural are the sleep-game of this tier (and not unrelated, the “Grass-type” choice). The sleepers that you see are mainly Hypno and Haunter. And that is fair. But those have to rely on Hypnosis. Naturally, people would be looking for something more reliable e.g. something with Sleep Powder. There’s a lot of options, but the one that should be the best in this environment is Venusaur. 80 speed, decent stats, good STAB move… it’s all there. Still, it’s nowhere to be seen, because the tier’s shape due to the wrappers turns out to be a very hostile one for Venusaur (probably also more Dragonite’s fault than Tentacruel’s but if the premier Water-type of the tier is faster and Poison-type, things don’t look good for Venusaur). People chose Tangela over Venusaur simply because it checks Dugtrio better. But Dugtrio is only that much of an issue, because it will always find use as a threat to Tenacruel. Not the most well-spoken example there, the Venusaur one, I admit, but point is: A tier naturally also has a Grass-type in it to sleep stuff (because of accuracy) and the fact that there is no established one, and if anything people chose Tangela over Venusaur is simply unnatural. Last but not least, there are a lot of interesting 60-90 speed Pokemon that should be getting use. Most prominent Example for me is Golduck. Water is a great neutral typing for an Amnesia booster, with not many weaknesses and Golduck has very nice speed for an Amnesia Booster. But guess what. You bring in your Golduck to Amnesia, I bring in my Tentacruel to outspeed you and wrap you down or create a good switch for me. Useless Golduck… In an environment where all the OUs are gone, you guessed it, unnatural.

Dragonite

This will be a shorter paragraph, partly because I covered some things concerning Dragonite already in the Tentacruel one. Dragonite is simple: Agility+Wrap is just borderline broken. You have to be extremely careful to not give it a set up turn. While I can see the argument that exactly that is also a skill, to realize when you’ve got to be aggressively denying your opponent Dragonite-opportunities, I simply think that sometimes it’s just not feasible to dance around like that. You never know what coverage move Dragonite has to finish off your Pokemon, and even the “save” counter-options, like Haunter and Omastar can be beat by Agility Dragonite, especially, since you cannot keep those members at 100% health every time during the game just to not lose your Dnite-Answer. That’s not to say it’s unbeatable of course, it will miss eventually, and truth is also that Dragonite might end up doing nothing at all. The strategy in itself is not broken alone, in OU it is not banned, and I believe rightfully so. But OU has way more weapons to combat it and less opportunities to set it up than UU and the higher power level (also in defensive capabilities) in OU makes it less effective. In UU it is prevalent in every game and not the rare sight it is in OU. Those factors combined make up a sufficient case for a Dragonite ban.

Verdict

I know that changing the metagame will take time to settle and thus postpone eventual NU further, but I would like to see how this metagame turns out without Dragonite and Tentacruel. So, I am calling for a suspect test on both Tentacruel and Dragonite and see how it turns out. I am not a clairvoyant of course and maybe my understanding of how the tier should look naturally does not match the reality even without the Wrappers or if the resulting tier would be any better than the current one, but ultimately, I’d like to try. One can always go back if the result ends up being recieves as worse than what we have now.

Last edited:

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
I'm going to preface this post with my thoughts on complex bans, since that is part of the issue here. First, I'm not against complex bans inherently. I think that they can serve a purpose, as long as they are the best way to getting rid of something problematic and they are not being used to justify adding something to the tier. I don't consider banning wrap to be a complex ban; we did have wrap clause at some point in RBY and it was treated the same as OHKO moves.
I also want to define best, because that's obviously very subjective. For me, best is when removing something more overt, like a mon or ability, would cause more harm than coming up with a complex rule. There are very few cases where this could be justified, since removing something bigger is usually a fine option.
There have been several suggestions for complex bans over the years, like Normal-types not being allowed to use Reflect in RBY OU. However, i never thought they were the best option. Even some of the complex bans that were ultimately allowed, like Baton Pass + Agility in DPP OU, I disagreed with.

With that said, I'm going to suggest that the best course of action is to complex ban Agility + Wrap. Everyone already knows why this is on the table, so I'm going to skip all of that. Instead, I'm going to focus on why I believe it is the best course to take.

Looking at the more overt options of banning Nite or Wrap altogether, we see fundamental changes in the tier. Nite serves as a strong Dug check and is a staple in the tier. With all of its tools, besides AgiliWrap, at its disposable, it is actually a healthy part of the metagame and helps keep things in balance. Again, we all know how Nite does this, so I'm not going to write out examples, but you should get my point. Wrap, the other overt option, completely changes the tier to the point where it is unrecognizable. Wrap is an intricate part of the tier. There's a lot of skill involved with knowing when to switch out of a wrap, how long to stay in, etc. and these skills shape the face of UU as we know it. Banning wrap outright is essentially starting from scratch. Some of you may honestly feel that's for the best, but I'm going to have to hard disagree and argue that the metagame is fine how it is. We also know people agree with me, from the survey that was filled out some months ago. So, banning AgiliWrap alone keeps the metagame in a healthier position than the more overt options.

I could probably keep going on, but I don't want to turn this into and essay. In short, banning AgiliWrap is a rare case of a complex ban being the most healthy option for a tier and i am in favor of banning it.

Also, as evident from the paragraphs above, I am in favor of keeping Tent for the same reasons as i wouldn't ban wrap.

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
Not to stir any drama or whatnot, but I have some objections to your reasoning Lusch. For starters, I do agree to an extent that UU feels a little "unnatural," but I think your assessment of this is a tad exaggerated. The meta definitely has a way of franchising certain types of Pokemon over others and preventing certain Pokemon from ever really gaining traction. However, I have three statements to make about this:

1) This is not unusual.
A lot of your argument concerning naturality seems predicated that certain Pokemon "should" be better than others. You suppose this by either looking at how they perform in OU or how the seem in a vacuum. Take Raichu as an example. On paper, Raichu should be better than Electabuzz, hands down. I'll agree with you on that. Surf and Agility provide significantly more utility that Psychic ever could (and for what it's worth, I seldom even run Psychic on Electabuzz in UU). Moreover, if we look at OU, Raichu actually has some semblance of a niche. It's not a great Pokemon by any means, but an Electric-type that isn't afraid of Rhydon is definitely something at least worth a mention. Electabuzz on the other hand, yeah, it's basically useless in OU by all accounts; just use Jolteon or whatever. So, one may conclude, as you have, that Raichu ought to out perform Electabuzz in all cases. That's how it "should" be.
But you and I both know that this is not the case. Electabuzz is as good as Raichu at best and decisively better than Raichu at worst. I for one would probably rank Electabuzz a full subrank higher than Raichu. The reason for this, as you pointed out, is Tentacruel. Being faster than Tentacruel is huge, so Electabuzz has an edge. The one thing that Electabuzz is better at than Raichu is being given too much attention (for lack of a better word). It's "unnatural."
However, this isn't weird at all. Different tiers have always rewarded certain traits more than others. There have always been Pokemon who end up better in higher tiers than lower tiers. The number of examples here is genuinely enormous, and my ability to provide them is limited only by my experience with more modern generations. The first notables that came to my mind are some stall Pokemon that tend to be popular in more modern generations of OU. Quagsire and Avalugg, for example, have been consistently tiered relatively lowly. While both frequently found themselves floating around PU, they happen to be pretty good in OU. While neither ever really picked up enough use to be OU proper, spotting either one on a stall team was not something unexpected. One may assume if they are on the fringes of OU, well they ought to be excellent in UU or RU. However, they just aren't. Only the OU environment, with its precise arrangement of stall-oriented partners and specific combination of offensive threats ever made either worth considering. SUMO Avalugg is especially comical, as it has an OU analysis and a PU analysis, and that's it. It is ranked on the OU VR at C-, completely absent from every other VR, until finally finding a home at B on the ZU VR.
Now, you may say that's a little different as Electabuzz would be a part of UU while Avalugg is not a part of OU. However, there are examples of certain Pokemon existing in tiers simply because they have the right traits to do so, even if perhaps they don't really belong there. BW Jellicent comes to mind. It is a staggeringly underwhelming Pokemon, but has a firm slot in BW OU mainly because it walls Keldeo. Lots of Pokemon seem like they should be better than Jellicent (take Milotic for example, who has generally superior stats and similar access to Recover), but they just aren't because the different tiers reward different skills. That's how tiers work.
This line of reasoning can be taken to any level of extreme by the way. As an example, take Magnezone. Magnezone has been a fixture in OU since it's release in DPP for literally one reason: it can trap Steel-types. That's about it, as Magnenezone (and RSE Magneton especially) are otherwise aggressively mediocre Pokemon. The fact that Magnezone is good definitely says something about modern generations, but nobody has ever suggested a ban on Steel-types because they artificially inflate Magnezone usage. Magnezone's tiering is "unnatural," but nobody cares.

2) Competition between similar Pokemon is normal.
You see, in RBY you have very clear-cut roles that certain Pokemon fill. Usually there is no need to have two Pokmon in the same tier that fill very similar roles. Examples are Rhydon vs Golem or Victreebel vs Venusaur in OU. Very similar Pokemon but one just sets itself apart from the other by tiny margins which makes them rightfully not end up in the same tier.
I'm sorry to be blunt, but this is just false. I have two big issues with this claim. First is that similar Pokemon very frequently coexist in the same tier. Like a lot; this literally happens all the time. In RBY alone, the pairs of varying comparability including Alakazam & Starmie, Zapdos & Jolteon, Cloyster & Lapras, and formerly Rhydon & Golem all existed together in OU. GSC has this too: Raikou & Zapdos and Steelix & Skarmory. BW is the king of this, with the Dragons Garchomp, Salamence, Latios, Latias, and Kyurem-B all occupying similar roles. The number of examples of pairs and groups of similar Pokemon is large.
Now, you may object by saying, those pairs aren't that similar, so this case is different. This leads to my second issue: who decides what Pokemon are similar? Electabuzz and Raichu have clear and concrete distinctions. As such, it is not unusual for one to be better in certain cases, even if one is purportedly "better" on the whole. These two coexisting in UU is not unnatural. Quite the opposite: it's expected. They are fairly similar, but each has clear, decisive, and relevant advantages over each other. Raichu has the movepool, Electabuzz has the speed. And in a tier with no items or abilities or really anything special, speed is a notable distinction. Speed is among the main reasons why Jolteon and Gengar are relevant in RBY OU. Speed is huge, so it's not like it's some little thing that has only ever mattered in this one tier.

3) Unnatural ≠ Bad
I've already written a ton, so I'll keep this brief. I like UU as it is. Agility + Wrap is a little annoying, but aside from that, I absolutely adore this tier. "This tier doesn't feel right" isn't a good argument to ban something. UU emphasizes a very particular set of skills and has an identity distinct from every other game I have played. I think this is one of it's key strengths as a meta, not a weakness.

To summarize, I certainly do empathize with your reservations with this tier. It does feel really strange. Ultimately though, I don't view this as a problem to be fixed but as a uniqueness to be celebrated.

Additional Notes:

This didn't fit anywhere in my reply, but it was bothering me so I have to mention it. Even if Tentacruel and Dragonite (or Wrap) were banned, Dugtrio would still be a top choice. We're looking at a Pokemon with base 120 speed, STAB Earthquake, and perfect coverage. This thing is a natural born revenge killer. It certainly likes Tentacruel, but Dugtrio regularly takes out virtually every Pokemon in the tier because it is so fast and can't be slowed down. Take out a few key Pokemon like Exeggutor, Starmie, and Alakazam, and we might be able to have a conversation for Dugtrio as a Pokemon in OU. All it needed was the power level to be lowered slightly.

Omastar certainly benefits from the existsnece of Wrap, but I'd argue it's resistance to Normal-type attacks in general is an equally big, if not bigger, component of its usefulness. Omastar can come in Kangaskhan more easily and harshly punish Hyper Beam. It also checks Persian and flat out counters Dodrio. Vaporeon can't claim any of that. Consider this an extension to my second point (Competition between similar Pokemon is normal).

Venusaur isn't nowhere to be seen. It's very useable and actually pretty good. I like it and use it fairly frequently.

Amnesia is pretty broken move too. It would have similar effects to Wrap in terms of predetermining what strategies can and cannot succeed. Moreover, I think it's unreasonable to say Amnesia being good is natural but fast Wrap is unnatural.

The flow of your argument definitely lends itself more to a ban on Wrap than a ban on Tentacruel or Dragonite. It's also worth noting that banning Pokemon instead of Wrap/Partial-trapping kind of just kicks the can down to the next "broken" Wrapper. Stuff like Rapidash, Moltres, Dragonair, and Pinsir aren't really inherently healthier, as being slower or less accurate isn't exactly a good way to balance something supposedly broken. As an example, if Fissure had 20% accuracy while Horn Drill and Guillotine had 30% accuracy, Fissure would not be viewed as any more competitive.

Once again, I'll probably clean this up some more later. I'm glad there is more discussion on this topic and hope nobody takes offense. Let me know if I stepped out of line with this post. Cheers!

Last edited:
Honestly wrap is just annoying and tedious. The whole metgame is centralized around this strategy, and the two pokemon who abuse it the most. And that goes double for the dragon.

It's a fun-sucking cliché and should be banned.

Shellnuts

Rustiest Player Around
is a Community Contributor
Honestly wrap is just annoying and tedious. The whole metgame is centralized around this strategy, and the two pokemon who abuse it the most. And that goes double for the dragon.

It's a fun-sucking cliché and should be banned.
RBY UU is heavily influenced by Wrap—I do agree with that—however, I strongly oppose banning Wrap or Partial Trapping moves. To me, Wrap is one of the most unique, strategic, and interesting parts of the metagame overall, and is what makes me enjoy the tier to the extent I do. To illustrate why I consider it a healthy and competitive element of the tier, let us examine the advantages and disadvantages of Wrap.

On the positive side, Wrap has the ability to immobilize any target hit by it for 2-5 turns which is a very strong benefit, however, that is the only immediate advantage of using Wrap, since the chip over a single wrap is generally insignificant, and this comes at the cost of locking yourself into a move for multiple turns with low base power and imperfect accuracy. Trying to kill something with Wrap directly is incredibly inefficient due to the imperfect accuracy and low damage, but what you can do is get a safe switch into another threat, similar to how U-Turn works in newer generations, enabling the user to bring in major threats like Dugtrio, Kangakhan, or Persian to break through the opposition quickly—the exact opposite of slow and tedious play. However, this does not solely benefit the Wrap user, since the player being wrapped can switch into their own major threat to punish the Wrap user attempting to punish an immobilized target by switching, but this can be predicted by the Wrap user which can be predicted by the player being wrapped ad Infinitum. Both players have equal opportunities to outplay the other based on their own skill at predicting their opponent, this is a healthy competitive dynamic. Furthermore, the player using Wrap can be put on a timer by the player being wrapped by switching to a faster Pokemon on the locked-in attack and waiting until it ends before Paralyzing or OHKO'ing the Wrap user, and the player being wrapped can use the opportunity to burn sleep turns at the cost of the initiative. The player being wrapped has the ability to benefit from the interaction if they can outplay their opponent and vice versa. Both players win or lose those interactions based on their own skilled play.

Furthermore, by double-switching a Wrap user into a predicted slower attacker, the Wrap user can completely flip the momentum of the game, however, this can be very risky and can heavily backfire, but can be game-changing if the Wrap user can predict correctly, once again rewarding skilled play. If I predict the opponent's switch and go into a Wrap user and reverse the momentum, that is due to my skillful play and is a healthy part of the tier which should be preserved.

Another benefit Wrap can bring which can be key is the chip damage it deals. The chip damage of multiple Wrap hits against Hypno, Khangaskhan, and Vaporeon—to name a few—can add up over time and can be the difference between winning an endgame and losing an endgame, but this comes with risking missing Wrap and taking heavy damage in return, demanding the user accurately manage the risk of missing Wrap with the benefits of the chip damage it provides. The user has to decide if going for that extra Wrap to guarantee Dugtrio or whatever will get a KO instead of a 60% chance is worth the risk of your Tentacruel being crippled by missing Wrap, which is challenging and demands the user be able to accurately assess and mitigate the risks of their decisions, which is skillful.

All of these benefits of Wrap require skilled play to wield effectively, you must be able to manage risk to maximize chip, you must be able to predict your opponent going to a slower physical attacker if you want to completely reverse momentum, and you must be able to know what your opponent will do the turn you intend to switch to a more immediate threat. These are all desirable aspects of the game and reward smart play, in addition, Wrap also offers opportunities for your opponent to outplay you by out-predicting the Wrap user or burning Sleep turns, these are desirable for a metagame as they emphasize the player's ability to analyze the game and decide how they should position themselves, predict their opponents play, and manage risk. Getting your team wrapped to death because you lost everything faster than Tentacruel is slow and can be irritating, but that's your fault for allowing it to happen, you could have played differently to avoid that situation, you could have kept Kadabra (or whatever other above base 100 Pokemon you have) unparalyzed and healthy. The onus is on the players to succeed or fail based on their own merits, I feel rewarded when I predict the opponent's Dugtrio coming in to finish off my Kadabra and going Gyarados, I feel like I deserve to lose if I get greedy with Wrap chip and get punished for it. It doesn't make the game less interesting or enjoyable, it makes it more nuanced and adds depth and complexity to the game—in my opinion. It enables aggressive and defensive play and everything in between. Wrap may be powerful and centralizing, but it creates engaging, skillful, rewarding gameplay, which I advocate be preserved in the tier.

Last edited:
RBY UU is heavily influenced by Wrap—I do agree with that—however, I strongly oppose banning Wrap or Partial Trapping moves. To me, Wrap is one of the most unique, strategic, and interesting parts of the metagame overall, and is what makes me enjoy the tier to the extent I do. To illustrate why I consider it a healthy and competitive element of the tier, let us examine the advantages and disadvantages of Wrap.

On the positive side, Wrap has the ability to immobilize any target hit by it for 2-5 turns which is a very strong benefit, however, that is the only advantage of using Wrap, and this comes at the cost of locking yourself into a move for multiple turns, low base power, and imperfect accuracy. Trying to kill something with Wrap directly is incredibly inefficient due to the imperfect accuracy and low damage, but what you can do is get a safe switch into another threat, similar to how U-Turn works in newer generations, enabling the user to bring in major threats like Dugtrio, Kangakhan, or Persian to break through the opposition quickly—the exact opposite of slow and tedious play. However, this does not solely benefit the Wrap user, since the player being wrapped can switch into their own major threat to punish the Wrap user attempting to punish an immobilized target by switching, but this can be predicted by the Wrap user which can be predicted by the player being wrapped ad Infinitum. Both players have equal opportunities to outplay the other based on their own skill at predicting their opponent, this is a healthy competitive dynamic. Furthermore, the player using Wrap can be put on a timer by the player being wrapped by using a faster Pokemon with Paralysis or high damage to threaten them out, and the player being wrapped can use the opportunity to burn sleep turns at the cost of the initiative. The player being wrapped has the ability to benefit from the interaction if they can outplay their opponent and vice versa. Both players win or lose those interactions based on their own skilled play.

Furthermore, by double-switching a Wrap user into a predicted slower attacker, the Wrap user can completely flip the momentum of the game, however, this can be very risky and can heavily backfire, but can be game-changing if the Wrap user can predict correctly, once again rewarding skilled play. If I predict the opponent's switch and go into a Wrap user and reverse the momentum, that is due to my skillful play and is a healthy part of the tier which should be preserved.

Another benefit Wrap can bring which can be key is the chip damage it deals. The chip damage of multiple Wrap hits against Hypno, Khangaskhan, and Vaporeon—to name a few—can add up over time and can be the difference between winning an endgame and losing an endgame, but this comes with risking missing Wrap and taking heavy damage in return, demanding the user accurately manage the risk of missing Wrap with the benefits of the chip damage it provides. The user has to decide if going for that extra Wrap to guarantee Dugtrio or whatever will get a KO instead of a 60% chance is worth the risk of your Tentacruel being crippled by missing Wrap, which is challenging and demands the user be able to accurately assess and mitigate the risks of their decisions, which is skillful.

All of these benefits of Wrap require skilled play to wield effectively, you must be able to manage risk to maximize chip, you must be able to predict your opponent going to a slower physical attacker if you want to completely reverse momentum, and you must be able to know what your opponent will do the turn you intend to switch to a more immediate threat. These are all desirable aspects of the game and reward smart play, in addition, Wrap also offers opportunities for your opponent to outplay you by out-predicting the Wrap user or burning Sleep turns, these are desirable for a metagame as they emphasize the player's ability to analyze the game and decide how they should position themselves, predict their opponents play, and manage risk. Getting your team wrapped to death because you lost everything faster than Tentacruel is slow and can be irritating, but that's your fault for allowing it to happen, you could have played differently to avoid that situation, you could have kept Kadabra (or whatever other above base 100 Pokemon you have) unparalyzed and healthy. The onus is on the players to succeed or fail based on their own merits, I feel rewarded when I predict the opponent's Dugtrio coming in to finish off my Kadabra and going Gyarados, I feel like I deserve to lose if I get greedy with Wrap chip and get punished for it. It doesn't make the game less interesting or enjoyable, it makes it more nuanced and adds depth and complexity to the game—in my opinion. It enables aggressive and defensive play and everything in between. Wrap may be powerful and centralizing, but it creates engaging, skillful, rewarding gameplay, which I advocate be preserved in the tier.
Problem is trapping puts too much emphasis on speed- in a game where speed is already broken, as well as luck. Your standard wrap teams look pretty much the same: Dragon and Jelly + sidekicks Cat, Kangaroo, Groundhogs and Bignose. With a few substitutions.

Combined with Hypno, trapping punishes teams with status early on, and gives very little chance of fighting back. And if you're stubborn enough to soldier on it's just a slow painful death. There's a reason they nerfed the move for all subsequent generations.

Also we've already seen a couple pokemon creep in from OU, ie Persian and Golem. I wonder if more will be allowed in to make things more "fair"?

At the very least I believe there should be a complex ban for agility/wrap. Just like they have for Cloyster in Gen2 OU with Spikes/Spin/Explode.

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
Alright, so you obviously have a strong impression of this tier and i have played you on the ladder, so I have some idea of where your mindset is based on your team make up and the way you played.

First thing to say, is that speed matters in every single gen and in nearly every single tier. Wrap does put its importance to the forefront, but really isnt more important than what you're suggesting. You either need speed control or something to address speed control no matter what gen or tier you play. Later gens focus on bulk, Scarf and/or priority , and less on pure speed, but i have yet to see a metagame or gen that doesn't have this. Wrap may be limiting but speed is going to matter regardless if wrap is there or not.

Next, you're assessment of what teams look like is pretty off. Tent and Hypno are on every single team (more about this in a second) and most teams are going to have Kadabra. However, from there things are a lot more free. Dug is super common, because it's good, but i have plenty of teams and have faced plenty of teams that don't have it. Teams are going to have a ground check, and that often comes in the form of Nite, but Gyara and even Tangela work too. Kang and Persian are good, but they're not ever present like your suggesting. Honestly, you don't even need fast mons in these three slots. The last game I played you with had Dewgong and Poliwrath, two slow mons who do nothing for speed control. There's like 15 viable mons in the tier and that's pretty standard and honestly pretty good given how few pokemon there actually are. There is variety if you go for it.
As for Tent and Hypno, yes these are two mons that are everywhere, but that's the nature of the tier and usually a part of these older gens. RBY OU always has the big 3, GSC OU always has a Lax + Zap and/or Kou, ADV pretty much always has a Tar in every game. It's just how things go. When you're looking for the objectively best choices, there's going to be repetition in anything. This tier is not different for having that.
Now if you're interested in trying to improve your teambuilding skills, then that of course can be helped. Talking on the discord, on showdown or making a post on the forum here can be a good way to learn what you need to make a successful team. Iirc, your team that I saw was completely weak to Tent. You didn't have any good water checks, besides your own tent, so those kinds of things are something you need to address, especially if you're looking for variety. And again, this has nothing to do with UU, but is just the nature of Pokemon.

Status is something that needs to be addressed, yes, but again this is true for every single gen. No matter what you play (besides BW) you have to think about what you're willing to take sleep, when teambuilding and when playing. Knowing what can take paralysis or know how to mitigate paralysis is something hugely important as well. Again, this is the case no matter where you play in pokemon. Knowing how to get around status is an essential skill of the game.
Now, RBY UU is very harsh tier and requires a lot of knowledge/skill with these things. It can be hard, especially when just starting the tier, to have a good grip on these things. People are always more than willing to show you and help you, if you look for it. I cant remember your team too well, but i know Hypno is a good status absorber, and you could use it to help you with T Wave. It's not that simple and you need to use your status absorber well, lest it just does for nothing, but it's certainly not as bleak as what you're saying.

I have no idea what you mean by pokemon creeping in from OU. Hipmonlee would know better, but i believe that Persian wasnt OU 10 years ago on Smogon's official tier list. When Hip made the cut off for the current UU, Persian was here and never left. Golem did move down from OU, but that has nothing to do with UU and has everything to do with the fact that Golem isn't used anymore in OU. Nothing will be moved down from OU because of UU. That's not how it works, and that's never how it worked.

I already gave my thoughts on the ban above, so i won't comment on that. But I'd like to point out that Clouster isn't complex banned. It has two egg moves that can't be had together, due to how breeding in the game works. There's nothing balance wise stopping the combo, just that it's physically impossible to get in the games.

Ultimately, you may just not like this tier. That's fine if you don't. I don't like GSC LC, because I think there's too much emphasis on thief. For me, it makes the tier not fun and i don't play it. I would never say that thief needs to be addressed. If it was gone, i could enjoy playing it. But there's nothing wrong with thief, other people enjoy having it, so i just won't play it. I've got like 8 other tiers I can invest time into and know I will enjoy. There's nothing wrong with me, GSC LC or the situation, and I'm happy there are people who love the tier, even though I won't ever touch it myself.

tl;dr UU is not a unique case, it just wears everything on its sleeves. There's a lot of skill and knowledge that addresses your concerns and by looking for these answers and seeking advice, you may end up enjoying the tier. Maybe you won't, but not everything is for everyone.

Alright, so you obviously have a strong impression of this tier and i have played you on the ladder, so I have some idea of where your mindset is based on your team make up and the way you played.

First thing to say, is that speed matters in every single gen and in nearly every single tier. Wrap does put its importance to the forefront, but really isnt more important than what you're suggesting. You either need speed control or something to address speed control no matter what gen or tier you play. Later gens focus on bulk, Scarf and/or priority , and less on pure speed, but i have yet to see a metagame or gen that doesn't have this. Wrap may be limiting but speed is going to matter regardless if wrap is there or not.

Next, you're assessment of what teams look like is pretty off. Tent and Hypno are on every single team (more about this in a second) and most teams are going to have Kadabra. However, from there things are a lot more free. Dug is super common, because it's good, but i have plenty of teams and have faced plenty of teams that don't have it. Teams are going to have a ground check, and that often comes in the form of Nite, but Gyara and even Tangela work too. Kang and Persian are good, but they're not ever present like your suggesting. Honestly, you don't even need fast mons in these three slots. The last game I played you with had Dewgong and Poliwrath, two slow mons who do nothing for speed control. There's like 15 viable mons in the tier and that's pretty standard and honestly pretty good given how few pokemon there actually are. There is variety if you go for it.
As for Tent and Hypno, yes these are two mons that are everywhere, but that's the nature of the tier and usually a part of these older gens. RBY OU always has the big 3, GSC OU always has a Lax + Zap and/or Kou, ADV pretty much always has a Tar in every game. It's just how things go. When you're looking for the objectively best choices, there's going to be repetition in anything. This tier is not different for having that.
Now if you're interested in trying to improve your teambuilding skills, then that of course can be helped. Talking on the discord, on showdown or making a post on the forum here can be a good way to learn what you need to make a successful team. Iirc, your team that I saw was completely weak to Tent. You didn't have any good water checks, besides your own tent, so those kinds of things are something you need to address, especially if you're looking for variety. And again, this has nothing to do with UU, but is just the nature of Pokemon.

Status is something that needs to be addressed, yes, but again this is true for every single gen. No matter what you play (besides BW) you have to think about what you're willing to take sleep, when teambuilding and when playing. Knowing what can take paralysis or know how to mitigate paralysis is something hugely important as well. Again, this is the case no matter where you play in pokemon. Knowing how to get around status is an essential skill of the game.
Now, RBY UU is very harsh tier and requires a lot of knowledge/skill with these things. It can be hard, especially when just starting the tier, to have a good grip on these things. People are always more than willing to show you and help you, if you look for it. I cant remember your team too well, but i know Hypno is a good status absorber, and you could use it to help you with T Wave. It's not that simple and you need to use your status absorber well, lest it just does for nothing, but it's certainly not as bleak as what you're saying.

I have no idea what you mean by pokemon creeping in from OU. Hipmonlee would know better, but i believe that Persian wasnt OU 10 years ago on Smogon's official tier list. When Hip made the cut off for the current UU, Persian was here and never left. Golem did move down from OU, but that has nothing to do with UU and has everything to do with the fact that Golem isn't used anymore in OU. Nothing will be moved down from OU because of UU. That's not how it works, and that's never how it worked.

I already gave my thoughts on the ban above, so i won't comment on that. But I'd like to point out that Clouster isn't complex banned. It has two egg moves that can't be had together, due to how breeding in the game works. There's nothing balance wise stopping the combo, just that it's physically impossible to get in the games.

Ultimately, you may just not like this tier. That's fine if you don't. I don't like GSC LC, because I think there's too much emphasis on thief. For me, it makes the tier not fun and i don't play it. I would never say that thief needs to be addressed. If it was gone, i could enjoy playing it. But there's nothing wrong with thief, other people enjoy having it, so i just won't play it. I've got like 8 other tiers I can invest time into and know I will enjoy. There's nothing wrong with me, GSC LC or the situation, and I'm happy there are people who love the tier, even though I won't ever touch it myself.

tl;dr UU is not a unique case, it just wears everything on its sleeves. There's a lot of skill and knowledge that addresses your concerns and by looking for these answers and seeking advice, you may end up enjoying the tier. Maybe you won't, but not everything is for everyone.
Of course speed matters in every Gen, but it's particularly broken in Gen1.

Tentacruel isn't the fastest pokemon in UU, but to my knowledge only Electabuzz, Dugtrio, and Persian are faster.

Agility Dragonite however cannot be outsped, and the only surefire way to defeat is to wait for a lucky miss. Or to use Haunter.

And since wrap can take up to 5 turns a piece, that usually means you're gonna bewaiting a long ass time. And usually it is not worth it.

Having a combination ban for Dragonite still allows it to make use of a pretty expansive movepool. How many Pokemon have access to Blizzard, Thunderbolt, Thunderwave, Hyper Beam, and Surf?

Well...
After all this whole debate boils down to a couple of questions with no objectively right answer.

I believe the majority of people want to see Agility+Wrap gone. And that, I think, is not really controversial. It simply is extremely strong and probably broken. If we take it for granted that something will have to happen in this regard, then the question becomes how to act. Is a ban of the cobination Agility+Wrap the way to go or just banning Dragonite? Different opinions exist here as well. They've been stated in this thread. But for the record, I would just straight up ban the problematic Pokemon, which is Dragonite. There's precedent for both actions in tiering history of different tiers. I like to keep it simple, especially in a rather simple generation as the first one.

Secondly, Tentacruel. I stand by my statement that Tentacruel's presence is restricting and creates a tier that does not feel natural to me. It's speculation, but I can see a metagame without Tentacruel that is more "hit-and-run-ish", kinda like I believe RBY is supposed to be (but that is probably subjective). The question becomes: Do we want RBY UU to be the "Wrap-fest" that I personally feel is kind of difficult to get a gripe on, especially for newer players, due to playing like this is not exactly natural (I just keep coming bach to that word, I'm sorry...). To a new player or "outsider" trying to get into the tier, the Wrap-reputation is likelier to scare off a player because it makes it sound unfun (at the very least). In comparison, a tier that comes across as fast paced and easy to understand due to a "hit and run"-mentality (and actually having type synergy, unlike OU) probably does not have that scare off effect and thus a lower entry barrier. I assume it would be more well-recieved from the outside. So... I think when deciding to potentially banning Tentacruel (alongside Dragonite) it all comes down to this: What do we want RBY UU to be like. If the current players like their Wrap as it is then of course we do not ban Tentacruel. If we aim for a more objectively fun tier (Wrap inherently just is not fun, at least not on first glance, which is what I mean by objectively here. Can't convince me of the opposite here.) that is easier to access, removing Tentacruel is the way to go.
I do believe both options are valid, even though my post makes it sound like I favour removing Cruel. Taht is just because no-one else will defend that one so I need to put the points out there. Tentacruel-defendants will come anyway...

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Honestly I think that removing Wrap Tentacruel is such a drastic change to the tier I would question what is even being preserved at that point. It seems to me that if you don't like Wrap Tentacruel you maybe just don't like UU?

To me UU is the wrap meta. It makes it completely unique in all of Pokemon, it's quite unlike any other tier because of that. So you could ban Wrap Tentacruel somehow and make UU more like NU and OU, and I think it would still be a worthwhile tier and almost certainly far more accessible. But, doing so loses the thing that gives UU its character.

If we come to the conclusion that it is Agility + Wrap that is truly too much for this tier to handle, I would be much more in favor of the complex ban than a simple Dragonite ban. While I am opposed to complex bans as a concept, maintaining Dragonite as a viable option in the tier would leave a much better result than getting rid of it. Additionally, I feel as if the arguments against complex bans are not as applicable when observing an esoteric tier such as RBY UU. While things like having a simpler ruleset and having every ban show up in the teambuilder is preferred, they just are not as important in small metagames like old-generation lower tiers as they are in bigger metagames like current-generation OU. And correct me if I am wrong, but I think that whatever is decided on now will be the only change, or lack thereof for a while before NU becomes the main focus, meaning we need not worry about a potential snowball effect of multiple complex bans. It is also worth mentioning that complex bans are not all that uncommon throughout other tiers and generations.

GSC has its Sleep Trap Clause, ADV OU has its complex Baton Pass Clause and Sand Veil ban, ADV UU has its NFE Clause which makes a sole exception for Scyther, DPP OU has its Soul Dew Ban, BW2 OU has its Weather + Speed Ability Clause and sleep-inducing move ban among others, BW2 UU has its ban on certain weather abilities, BW2 RU has its ban on Shell Smash + Baton Pass, BW2 NU has its ban on Prankster + Assist, ORAS UU and RU have their bans on certain weather abilities, ORAS PU has its ban on the move Chatter, USUM OU has its ban on Power Construct, USUM UU has its ban on certain weather abilities and Z-moves, USUM RU has its ban on Aurora Veil and Kommonium Z, and SM PU has its ban on Aurora Veil and certain weather abilities.

I might not have hit all of them, but the point is that there are plenty of bans among different tiers and generations that target more than just a single Pokémon in order to maintain a healthier metagame. ORAS PU’s ban on Chatter is especially noteworthy since it is a complex ban with the sole purpose of keeping Chatot in the tier, the only Pokémon that can learn Chatter. ADV UU’s NFE Clause is not quite the same, but it does make an exception solely to allow Scyther to remain in the tier.

I just do not see why we should limit ourselves to a simple ban if the tier would be better off with a complex ban. I am much more opposed to a Dragonite ban than the aforementioned complex ban.

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
ADV UU has its NFE Clause which makes a sole exception for Scyther
ADV UU’s NFE Clause is not quite the same, but it does make an exception solely to allow Scyther to remain in the tier.
I don't want to detract from the main point too much, but NFE Clause is a relic of some of the earliest instances of Pokemon tiering. This is from like 2005-2007 Smogon, where tiering was a relatively new concept, and should never be used in debates over complex bans. It was made when lower-tiers were believed to make NFEs replicate the higher tiers, essentially, which we know now is not the case. The reason it's kept is because the tier is locked, players have no issue with it, and what boils down to legacy purposes. I understand the sentiment and the rest are fair points, but this shouldn't be included in the argument.

--

The main issue I see with the complex ban is that the only problem user of AgiliWrap is Dragonite. Dragonair and Moltres have utilized it while staying relatively unproblematic, while Dragonite is already a juggernaut of a threat without having this set, not to mention difficult to predict at times. You normally have Wrap/Agility/HB/Blizz but you have TWave, TBolt, BSlam and more as possible options to fine-tune it for a team. AgiliWrap absolutely pushes it over the edge, but this is the only case of a Pokemon being pushed over the edge by it in the first place. Why should Moltres and Dragonair suffer so Dragonite remains in the tier? You could say they're less relevant and thus the damage isn't big, but does this not contradict the essence of tiering? I don't see how banning AgiliWrap Dragonite is addressing the true problem, which is that Dragonite makes the strategy viable and overbearing. I cannot count the number of times I've been in a bad spot, got one turn to Agility, and then turn an entire game around. I shouldn't be able to do that against players clearly better than me. The game becomes a dice roll where Dragonite will likely take one or more threats out while the opponent hopelessly scrambles to PP stall me, sometimes to their own detriment...since I can use the data I shouldn't have to smack them for it. Dragonite's movepool allows me to be even less predictable. You're there using a Haunter+Omastar PP Stall core to stop my AgiliWrap, suddenly I reveal TBolt as you bring in Omastar, and it's all gravy. This isn't a balanced or fair game state.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will concede the point on ADV UU, I was not aware of the context surroudning that clause. However, I think we are in agreement that the complex ban should not be opposed simply because it is a complex ban.

To addess your post, saying that Moltres and Dragonair are only less relevant is an understatement. Both of these Pokémon had 0% usage in RBY PL and find themselves in D rank and Unranked respectively. Preserving Dragonite without Wrap just seems much more important than these two. Also correct me if I am wrong, but the complex ban would specifically target Agility + Wrap, meaning that Moltres could still use Agility + Fire Spin if it wants to anyways. And yes, Dragonair would lose its only niche as a result of this complex ban, but I do not think it is a big enough factor in the tier to justify removing Dragonite. Especially considering it's niche is Agility + Wrap, which while clearly not as effective as when its being used by Dragonite is still equally annoying for the reasons you mentioned.

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
Well, this discussion board seems to have heated up again so I suppose I will weigh in again. I guess I'll respond to everybody, because I have something to say about every post.

Lusch more or less hit the heart of this issue. We all have recognized the same problem for the most part, but we all have different ways of solving it. I don't have much to add to this point, I just wanted to say I agree. This is basically the only problem and unfortunately this means our debate will be a little more philosophical than I think we all hoped.
The latter half of the post kind of lost me though. The words "objectively" and "fun" don't really belong in the same sentence first and foremost. I like the Wrap metagame and have no interest in changing it. I'm not saying I'm right or more skilled or whatever, I'm just saying you can't tell me that Wrap can't be a fun mechanic, because, well, I don't mind it and more often than not, enjoy it. I understand your argument that eliminating or handicapping Wrap will make the UU environment more inviting, but I ultimately just don't really care about that. Firstly, I'd rather make the tier fun for me and people like me (people who actually play this tier and like it) than try to appeal to some hypothetical group of people that would maybe be more likely to consider playing RBY UU. I'd rather play to the interests of myself and the people in this thread than to those of players that may not even exist. Secondly, we are talking about an Old Gen Lower Tier; we aren't exactly a new player magnet. You can mold RBY UU into whatever you think most players would like, but at the end of the day, it's not going to be that popular. Therefore, popularity isn't exactly on my agenda for this tier. I'm content with its size. It would be cool if it grew I suppose, but we have a pretty good community already and everything seems fine.
And for what it is worth, I have little interest in a hit-and-run meta. I think faster-paced metagames are more boring. This is why I find RBY, GSC, and ADV infinitely more entertaining to play and watch than DPP or any of the more modern generations. I might be in the minority with this opinion, but again, that's my opinion and it should not be made out as if nobody likes slow metagames.

For Hipmonlee, all I can say is I completely agree. I basically already said what was declared in my previous post:
UU emphasizes a very particular set of skills and has an identity distinct from every other game I have played. I think this is one of it's key strengths as a meta, not a weakness.
To summarize, I certainly do empathize with your reservations with this tier. It does feel really strange. Ultimately though, I don't view this as a problem to be fixed but as a uniqueness to be celebrated.
So yeah, obviously I agree. I think UU is pretty great as is and I wouldn't want to see many changes. I know this isn't the best argument, but if you don't like the state of RBY UU, maybe play a different tier? I don't think I'm in the minority when I say I'd like to preserve as much as current UU's identity as possible. As such, I think we should keep it largely similar and leave other tiers and other generations to satisfy the needs of other players.

On to EB0LA. Wrap is definitely the most defining element of UU. I, and others who like the tier as is, often "lie" and say it's not a huge part, but if I am being totally honest with myself, I must say Wrap is a very big part of this tier. I would agree that Wrap is probably the most sensible think to attack. However, I refer back to my and Hipmonlee's point which is that I don't think a Wrap-less metagame is one most of us want to play. This ban idea hasn't been very popular among the posters in this thread not because it doesn't make sense, but simply because it isn't desired. People are free to chime in if I'm putting words into their mouths, but based on what I have read, nobody really wants Wrap gone. I'm not saying we shouldn't have this conversation, but I am saying I don't think we should ban Wrap, as doing so would be a markedly unpopular decision.

Next is meloyy. Despite the two of us having very little contact, we seem to be more or less on the same page. This post is no exception, as I share most, if not all, of the sentiments expressed in the post. If we want to make a metagame that most resembles what we want to play, a ban on Agility + Wrap (or + Partial-Trapping) is the way to go. I will concede that that is a pretty nebulously defined "we," but regardless, it's definitely not an insignificant part of the RBY UU Community™ that likes the tier largely as is.

Finally, Plague von Karma. I mainly want to address this point:
The main issue I see with the complex ban is that the only problem user of AgiliWrap is Dragonite. Dragonair and Moltres have utilized it while staying relatively unproblematic...
Here's the deal. Agility + Partial-Trapping, at least in my experience, isn't exactly broken in the sense that it is too good. It is broken in the sense that it is uncompetitive. The risk-reward on the strategy is way off and the counter play isn't really very involved. The issue isn't so much that Agility + Partial-Trapping wins games, it is that Agility + Partial-Trapping can win games. So why does this distinction matter?
Well, I will definitely grant that Dragonite is far and away the best user of Agility + Partial-Trapping; such is indisputable. When it comes to winning games, Dragonite is definitely the most effective user. However, no matter who the combination is on, it is always uncompetitive. Moltres and Dragonair are both not very good. And when they set up Agility, they are not nearly as likely to outright win a game like Dragonite. However, the competitiveness of the strategy is in no way changed. Regardless of who just used Agility, it looks the same. You still have to sit there and pray for a miss or somehow execute a successful PP Stall. Just because the strategy is worse on a Pokemon does not in any way make it more healthy. This is an extremely important point. I've already pointed this out with OHKO moves. If one OHKO move had slightly lower accuracy, nobody would suddenly assume that that move is more competitive. Speaking of OHKO moves, we can take this even further. What are the odds that a Geodude successfully uses Fissure to KO something in an RBY OU match? Given the mechanics of RBY, the answer is negligibly 0. Nonetheless, we decide to ban OHKO moves because the concept of a move that instantly KOs your opponent is inherently broken. It doesn't matter who the users are or how many there are. When the issue is a move or mechanic being uncompetitive, you always go after the move or mechanic, not the Pokemon. Same goes for stuff like Baton Pass. Generations like ADV and DPP could have easily sifted through the users of Baton Pass and decided which are good and which aren't but they didn't because Baton Pass, as a concept, is always uncompetitive. Again, you always go after the move or mechanic in the case of competitiveness. You can refer to my initial post for more examples of such bans taking place. In summary, the number and power of the Pokemon in question are completely irrelevant. So I don't agree that Dragonite is the only problem user of Agility + Partial Trapping, and even if it was, I would still firmly believe that banning Dragonite is the wrong course of action.
I apologize if it seems like I'm singling you out, PvK, but trust me I'm not. You're not the only one to say this, you just happen to be the most recent example.

Funnily enough, seems like meloyy posted during my composition of this post. I agree with meloyy's conclusion, but I used very different logic to arrive at it. To me, the viability of Moltres and Dragonair is simply not relevant to this discussion.

So yeah, thanks for tuning to Volk's thoughts this week.

edit: So, I have gotten some criticism for being selective in what bans I have chosen to discuss and those I have chosen to ignore. To make sure this argument is as clear as possible, I will directly address this discrepancy right now. The reason why I am bringing up things like the Baton Pass Ban or OHKO Clause is not to say "Complex Bans Exist." I bring these up because I believe Agility + Wrap is very comparable to these situations, significantly more so than any simple Pokemon ban. Let's now examine why.

There are two major types of bans that have been executed historically on this site. A Pokemon/Move/Mechanic (a unit that will henceforth be referred to as an "object") is either (A) overpowered or (B) uncompetitive. There are a few niche cases that don't fit in either category, but the lion's share are here. Let's start with competitiveness first because I believe that is the relevant category for the discussion today. An object is uncompetitive when it fundamentally shifts what skills competitive Pokemon values. Competitive Pokemon values many different skills such as intelligent teambuilding, guessing your opponent's team composition and move sets, predicting your opponent's moves, managing statistical advantages, and so on. Put simply, a lot of this game is designed around outplaying your opponent. When one or more of these pillars is jeopardized, we have to ask ourselves if we think the object is uncompetitive. Let's take Baton Pass as an example. Baton Pass teams warp the metagame, as they do not reflect the competitive skills we value in this game. Elements like proper prediction aren't really relevant in a Baton Pass metagame. If somebody told you every single move your opponent would make before your opponent executed it, you would think that game would be an easy victory. However, this isn't really the case against Baton Pass teams. Whether you win against a Baton Pass team isn't really contingent on whether or not you know what your opponent will do and if you can respond to it accordingly. It more or less just comes down to if you have the right handful of moves that handle Baton Pass Chains, like Taunt or Whirlwind, somewhere on your team. This is a bad thing. When you have an object that doesn't place value on the core aspects of competitive Pokemon and has uninvolved counter play, we generally call that object uncompetitive. Historically, when an object is uncompetitive, the object itself is targeted and removed, because the users of the object don't really matter. Like Baton Pass isn't necessarily potent with many Pokemon, like say Eevee (prior to Z-Moves). Despite this, we disallow Baton Pass as a whole anyway because a move that has the traits of Baton Pass is inherently uncompetitive. It doesn't matter how good the Pokemon is, we don't want an object like Baton Pass anywhere near our competitive game.

Evasion Clause and the recent ADV Sand Veil Ban are based on the same philosophy. They warp the meta to artificially reward usage of otherwise sub-optimal strategies such as using Aerial Ace or Swift. Instead of outplaying your opponent, all you are doing is praying for a miss ("praying for a miss," where have I heard that line before...). They change the skills we value and negatively effect what attributes are valued in teambuilding. This is why they are uncompetitive and why they are hit with "complex bans" rather than bans that go after the best users. To be absolutely clear, I think the Sand Veil ban was done correctly. A ban on Cacturne and/or Gligar misses the point of what the actual issue is. Moreover, Sandslash may be wholly unviable, but again we don't want this uncompetitive object in our competitive game. Banning Sand Veil was the obvious and correct choice.

Let's compare this to something that is overpowered. In other words, how does my argument differ from someone saying "we should ban Libero and not Cinderace?" Well, it differs a lot and I will explain why now. For the sake of simplicity, let's take an extreme example. Why do we ban Arceus from OU? To answer this question, let's ask the converse: what if Arceus was legal? Well, the odd reality is that the metagame of any Generation wouldn't change that much. Now obviously, which Pokemon are good and which aren't may change dramatically. However, when it comes down to core strategy, not much actually changes. A metagame with Arceus would still value good teambuilding and smart prediction. The better player should still win, assuming both players are using Arceus. Contrast this to say Sand Veil, where even if both players are using it, the first person to pull it off has a clear advantage, for they will have set up first. This isn't necessarily the case with Arceus or even stuff like Cinderace or Dracovish or whatever, because they can still be removed from the game with proper play, especially if you have your own. The weird thing is that Pokemon that we ban from OU tend not to actually change what skills we value. The reason why we ban them is simply because they are too strong. They can still be outplayed, but the capable Pokemon are few and/or inconsistent. Teambuilding values the same skills, but it just becomes more centralized around a single Pokemon. The skills don't change, just the diversity and list of eligible elements associated with the tier does. Now, I'll concede that some Pokemon are more uncompetitive than overpowered, but most do lean into overpowered territory. They are banned because they are dominant in the game more than anything else. They seldom warp the core tenants of this competitive game.

Now let's evaluate Dragonite and Agility + Partial Trapping. Which category does it fit into? Well, the metagame has changed in a way that otherwise sub-optimal moves and strategies are over-valued (see Toxic's abundance). Once the object starts up, the counter play (if there is any) is not involved and does not reflect the elements of competitive Pokemon that are valued. The player that executes the object first has a clear and decisive advantage over the other, even if both players have it at their disposal. The object fundamentally changes what game we are playing, as elements of prediction and even teambuilding begin to erode. Knowing this, it should be obvious why Agility + Partial-Trapping is the issue here: it is uncompetitive. And the concept always is; it doesn't matter who is using it. Ban Agility + Partial-Trapping to address the core issue at hand.

Note: I wanted to add some additional info about banning Libero over Cinderace. A ban like this doesn't make sense for two reasons. First, Libero doesn't change what skills we value in this game. It just doesn't. Second, Libero, as a concept, is not broken. Unlike Evasion Moves and the like, Libero (and Protean) would be perfectly healthy on most Pokemon. It is simply the confluence of Cinderace's attributes and the Libero ability that makes the Pokemon broken. Thus banning the Pokemon makes sense. Agility + Partial-Trapping, on the other hand, has the same uncompetitive effects (all of which are listed in the previous paragraph) regardless of the user. This is a clear distinction and justifies why a Complex Ban is necessary here but not for Libero + Cinderace. The same logic applies to Speed Boost Blaziken by the way.

Second Note: For my Arceus rant, we can use DPP Ubers as a case study. When Arceus was banned, nobody ever really argued that Arceus was uncompetitive (and at least one person went into detail explaining why it wasn't). Arceus was kicked out of the tier simply because it was too strong. It lacked a significant number or reliable counters and it had a centralizing effect on the meta. Ultimately, nobody liked it, so it was removed. Nothing about the "essence" of the game changed, it was just Arceus was too good at playing by the rules we laid out for competitive Pokemon. The Pokemon was fine from a competitiveness standpoint, but its power level was too high. It's a much simpler case than something like Sand Veil, Baton Pass, or Agility + Wrap, all of which fundamentally change the game we play for the worse.

Last edited:

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
I've started to have a bit of a change in thought, and so, I'd like to talk about that and address these posts.

First, like Lusch said, it's not really a matter of deciding of what's broken, but rather how to go and ban it. If you really don't think it's broken we can discuss that still too. So, if we work with the premise that at the end of this AgiliWrap will be gone, things are a little bit easier to organize. We basically have a few different layers to this ban.
Layer1: Wrap is banned
Layer 2: Dragonite is banned
Layer 3: AgiliWrap is complex banned

Banning wrap is a scorched Earth approach. It gets rid of AgiliWrap obviously, but there's a lot of extra causalities. I know Lusch is at least willing to look into this possibility, and I'm not 100% against this to be honest. However, I don't really see the point. We're not gaining any Pokemon from doing this. If we look at the old PokemonPerfect VR and tournament games from before Tent became meta and Molt and Art were prematurely banned lol it's the exact same mons. Maybe a couple of mons like Clef or Golduck could be more viable, but frankly could someone explain what's the point in trying to make them more viable through bans? They're not adding anything competitive to tier. You could make an argument for a little more variety, but it's not like there will be a lot more. Even if you're hardset on trying to find a competitive home for as many Pokemon as possible, NU is on its way after this, so these leftover mons still have a chance to find a home in a completive tier. They're not out for good. The other argument I see for this is something super subjective like fun or interesting, but I don't think any one of us will have the same idea about what is fun and interesting, let alone have the same ideas with anyone who might try this tier in the future. Really, this small group's subjective ideas are not a reason to impose a ban on something that affects everyone who will ever play this tier in the future. We need to stick to objective things as much as we can.
With that said, I am not 100% against this approach, but I'm going to need some convincing about why we should even try this, because I don't see how taking away wrap makes this tier a better competitive tier. Wrap objectively has skill to it and makes the tier more skill intensive, more so than other moves that have a lot of RNG but aren't even being considered, like Thunder Wave or Hypnosis..

Banning Dragonite was something that I was pretty much against before, to the point that I'd rather consider do nothing than ban it. However, I've since changed my mind about this. Dragonite without AgiliWrap can be a healthy part of the metagame in theory. It can help against powerful mons, such as being a check to Dug and putting offensive pressure on Hypno. But I think with the exception of Volk, no serious UU competitor runs Nite without AgiliWrap. It's Nite's bread and butter and so all Nites are AgiliWrap Nites. This means that getting rid of Nite is pretty much the same as banning AgiliWrap. There is a potential loss in the tier's health, but that's really only potential, because really we only have theorymon and a little bit of testing for AgiliWrap-less Nite. Obviously, this need to go beyond theorymon,, and this is where a potential Suspect test could help.

Which brings us to the complex ban. AgiliWrap is the surgical approach to this situation. It gets rid of exactly what is the problem, with as few extra causalities to go with it. Yes, Moltres, Dragonair and Dratini may get affected by this. But they're not losing any viability in this anyways. When was the last time anyone has seen any of these mons in a serious game? I've seen moltres and even dragonair in friendlies, but not one time did they feel like real non-gimmick teams. AgiliWrap basically turns them from unviable to the potential to jank your opponent through dumb luck and mindless button clicking, which if anything proves that the tier is better off without them being able to do that. If I was told I needed to make a choice right now, without a suspect test, then I would go with this option still. But that's not how things work, so let's figure out what are suspect test needs to entail.

Going with the logic of this post, what really needs to be seen is if Nite is a healthy part enough of the game without AgiliWrap that it is "worth" making a complex ban. If Nite isn't really adding anything to the health of the game afterall, then we can just ban it directly and vice versa. Of course if it were that simple, this debate wouldn't be the way it is now. So, now we have to work on the complex ban possibility, if we have properly done a suspect test.

Let me just ask, can we all agree that Dragonite's AgiliWrap ban will be banned one or the other and we start saying that the following suspect test will be about whether we go with the complex ban or a full nite ban? If we can agree to this, or at least come to some kind of consensus, on this point, then I think we've made a lot of progress and have a clear idea of where this is going now.

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
After seeing the discussion on here and on the discord, it seems that some kind of consensus has been built. AgiliWrap is going to be ousted. Whether it is through a complex ban -and thus keeping Nite- or through an outright ban of Nite, is the question. Some have argued that Nite is a healthy part of the game and banning it would disrupt the game's balance. On top of that, AgiliWrap is an inherently uncompetitive move combo that arguably shouldn't be allowed at all, even if Nite is out of the picture. Meanwhile, others have said that simply banning Nite prevents an iniquitous complex ban and simplifies the state of things. The latter is a philosophical debate based on personal principle and bias and is beyond the scope of the current discussion; however, the former is something that we can test in a suspect. So, with this all in mind, let's see if Nite is indeed a healthy part of the game, and should be kept.

There are three ways that this can be tested.
  1. Do a single series of games without Nite. This would give us a chance to see if Nite is indeed a healthy enough part of the meta that it should be kept and we should do a complex ban instead.
  2. Test with only an AgiliWrap Complex ban. This would give us a chance to see if the complex ban does produce a healthy meta.
  3. Do two different suspect tests, one where we have Nite banned and the other where we just have the complex ban. We can then make a comparison.
Some may consider the third option more thorough, and thus better, but there is an argument for just testing if Nite should be gone or not.
With these three options in mind, what are people's opinion's on how to proceed?

Edit:

1. Volk
  2. Plague

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
The third way this is to do two different suspect tests, one where we have Nite banned and the other where we just have the complex ban. We can then make a comparison.
This is the common-sense way to approach it, considering the divide. We have all the time in the world to test what the meta looks like without either part.

--

We should default to a Dragonite ban as the primary outcome, considering how Smogon's tiering policy works. The No-Dragonite suspect should demonstrate that the metagame is actually worse off without it, in which case the AgiliWrap-only ban should be used. Besides, the main argument for banning only AgiliWrap is that Dragonite actively helps the metagame without it, so this would provide the evidence.

A point that I'd like to bring up is that the "unviable" users of AgiliWrap - Dragonair, and Fire Spin users Moltres and Rapidash - only show that Dragonite is the problematic abuser, not that banning a "healthy" Pokemon is unjustified. I believe that this would mean Dragonite itself is the problem, rather than AgiliWrap. My personal opinion, considering this, is that preserving Dragonite would not be the correct course of action. There's a lot of uncompetitive elements to the strategy, but Dragonair, Moltres and Rapidash have been actively shown to be too inconsistent to actually win games, meaning they would actively hurt your chances of winning more than anything. Dragonite, on the other hand, can fine-tune itself to further improve its consistency outside of AgiliWrap. I don't see how surgically removing AgiliWrap from its moveset is any different to removing Libero from Cinderace or Gorilla Tactics from Galarian Darmanitan in Gen 8 OU. I also implore people to refer to Earthworm's post on the topic of Dragonite here if you want to toss out later-gen tiering.

A week or so ago, Volk posted this, and I didn't really feel like discussing it, but I have a golden opportunity to do so now.
Here's the deal. Agility + Partial-Trapping, at least in my experience, isn't exactly broken in the sense that it is too good. It is broken in the sense that it is uncompetitive. The risk-reward on the strategy is way off and the counter play isn't really very involved. The issue isn't so much that Agility + Partial-Trapping wins games, it is that Agility + Partial-Trapping can win games. So why does this distinction matter?
Well, I will definitely grant that Dragonite is far and away the best user of Agility + Partial-Trapping; such is indisputable. When it comes to winning games, Dragonite is definitely the most effective user. However, no matter who the combination is on, it is always uncompetitive. Moltres and Dragonair are both not very good. And when they set up Agility, they are not nearly as likely to outright win a game like Dragonite.
A lot of this is simply wrong and misleading. The risk-reward on AgiliWrap is significantly worse for Moltres and Dragonair, as they are worse Pokemon. This is to the point that they are considered unviable in UU. This is an extremely important distinction to make, as it shows Dragonite is what makes AgiliWrap a broken mechanic. The point that it can win games doesn't necessarily matter if something like Moltres isn't winning consistently, while Dragonite wins enough to the point it caused this to become a discussion. If Dragonite wasn't abusing it, this wouldn't be a discussion.

The reason Dragonite does so well with AgiliWrap is simple. It deals 5-6% with Wrap most of the time, so 11-12 Wraps and it's bye-bye. That's quite a bit considering how long these chains can go on for. Omastar + Haunter is basically the only way you're stopping this from going off, and using Toxic as it sets up is common. Moltres (and to a lesser extent Rapidash) can simply be stopped with 2 Water-types, a common core in the tier: think EB0LA's Vaporeon teams. Moltres, with its gigantic Special, is only dealing 2.4-3% to Tentacruel, who is absolutely going to come in and invalidate it. This is why it's unviable, yes? Am I correct in this assumption? Dragonair doesn't deal anywhere near the amount of damage Dragonite does either, having far less Attack and no STAB, making it have the worst points of both Dragonite and Moltres. It only deals 3.5-4.4% to Tentacruel, so at best, you need 23 Wraps to end it. That's not happening when you're PP stalling it so much. These Pokemon suck and they're not influencing any tournament games. The strategy on these Pokemon isn't competitive, but it isn't viable either...Dragonite is what makes it viable.

So in this case, considering the consistency of the strategy, and the risk-reward becoming worse, is it not fair to say that Dragonite is what makes the strategy broken? In which case, you and meloyy's claims that the viability of Moltres and Dragonair are irrelevant to the discussion only proves my point.

So Dragonite makes the strategy problematic.
Ban Dragonite.

However, the competitiveness of the strategy is in no way changed. Regardless of who just used Agility, it looks the same. You still have to sit there and pray for a miss or somehow execute a successful PP Stall. Just because the strategy is worse on a Pokemon does not in any way make it more healthy. This is an extremely important point. I've already pointed this out with OHKO moves. If one OHKO move had slightly lower accuracy, nobody would suddenly assume that that move is more competitive. Speaking of OHKO moves, we can take this even further. What are the odds that a Geodude successfully uses Fissure to KO something in an RBY OU match? Given the mechanics of RBY, the answer is negligibly 0. Nonetheless, we decide to ban OHKO moves because the concept of a move that instantly KOs your opponent is inherently broken. It doesn't matter who the users are or how many there are. When the issue is a move or mechanic being uncompetitive, you always go after the move or mechanic, not the Pokemon. Same goes for stuff like Baton Pass. Generations like ADV and DPP could have easily sifted through the users of Baton Pass and decided which are good and which aren't but they didn't because Baton Pass, as a concept, is always uncompetitive. Again, you always go after the move or mechanic in the case of competitiveness. You can refer to my initial post for more examples of such bans taking place. In summary, the number and power of the Pokemon in question are completely irrelevant. So I don't agree that Dragonite is the only problem user of Agility + Partial Trapping, and even if it was, I would still firmly believe that banning Dragonite is the wrong course of action.
I want to address this as well.

Comparing AgiliWrap to OHKO moves is, frankly, laughable. With OHKO moves, you're going for a kill on a random given turn, with that turn to frantically search for counterplay. AgiliWrap isn't doing that, and as I have demonstrated with Moltres, sometimes, the odds of it working are so mathematically absurd you're better off going for a critical hit. Hell, considering Tentacruel is on every team, you're already off to a rocky start. Hell, this applies to Dragonite with the Omastar + Haunter core I mentioned earlier, which has massive utility outside of just stopping it thanks to its utility against Normal-types and Wrap in general. Can you fine-tune Dragonite to break it with something like Thunderbolt to break Omastar? Absolutely! In which case, this further demonstrates that Dragonite itself is the problem here, as it can fine-tune itself to continue its onslaught. Hell, the punishment for fucking up AgiliWrap - which Moltres and Dragonair do painfully often because they're shit outside of it - is far greater than OHKO moves, I don't see how these are remotely comparable. The rest of this, Baton Pass, etc just feels like nonsense and false equivalency. You're saying to go for the uncompetitive mechanic when only one user of this uncompetitive mechanic actually wins consistently and heavily influences the game state.

A thing to remember is that not all uncompetitive strategies are actually broken and bannable. There are many uncompetitive strategies out there that aren't banned. Remember, this is Pokemon, and you can make some awful sets. You could argue that Serene Grace + AncientPower Togekiss is uncompetitive because it encourages spamming a move to boost all your stats and sweep. Would you ban it? No, because it doesn't win. I would sooner compare Moltres and Dragonair to this than the power of Dragonite.

And to address meloyy as well, considering you cite it;
To addess your post, saying that Moltres and Dragonair are only less relevant is an understatement. Both of these Pokémon had 0% usage in RBY PL and find themselves in D rank and Unranked respectively. Preserving Dragonite without Wrap just seems much more important than these two. Also correct me if I am wrong, but the complex ban would specifically target Agility + Wrap, meaning that Moltres could still use Agility + Fire Spin if it wants to anyways. And yes, Dragonair would lose its only niche as a result of this complex ban, but I do not think it is a big enough factor in the tier to justify removing Dragonite. Especially considering it's niche is Agility + Wrap, which while clearly not as effective as when its being used by Dragonite is still equally annoying for the reasons you mentioned.
Considering my prior point that the unviable nature of Dragonair and Moltres, this only shows Dragonite is the problem Pokemon. Ban the problem. Dragonite's health outside of AgiliWrap isn't relevant when you're arbitrarily picking and choosing what leaves and what doesn't. I will ask this again: would you, or would you not, ban Libero and Gorilla Tactics to preserve Cinderace and Galarian Darmanitan? If you do, I encourage you to educate yourself on tiering integrity: not only is it an interesting topic, but you will understand my point that much more.

EDIT:
I had a debate on this in the Lower-Tiers Discord, but I want to emphasize some of the points I made there;

I am in no way trying to say that the Libero Cinderace thing is a direct equivalent to an AgiliWrap ban. However, the parallels you can draw are very similar, as banning AgiliWrap is just like banning Dragonite + Agility + Wrap. You can easily say it's like the BW RU SmashPass ban rather than this, and I would agree. On the flip side though, that ban has sometimes been said to be a mistake and that banning Baton Pass was a better choice, which I agree with as well. There are many things we learned from Gen 5 tiering and trust me, there were some blunders. Regardless, no ban has the same context, but it's reasonable and encouraged to review past tiering decisions if they are similar. This is similar. If you argue that Libero isn't inherently broken, I agree! But nor is AgiliWrap, as I will now demonstrate with Dragonair.

I do not believe Dragonair would replace Dragonite at all if Dragonite was banned. This feels a bit like the NFE Clause arguments of yore. For starters, Dragonair is basically incapable of reverse 6-0ing a team like Dragonite does, because its stats are just that much lower. As mentioned in this post, Dragonair needs so many more Wraps to score a kill. Plus, its Speed makes it so it's even harder to get past Agility users when trying to reverse-sweep. You may be taking 2, maybe 3 hits in this case. Dragonair isn't exactly bulky, either. And, the elephant in the room: Dragonair cannot check Dugtrio for shit like Dragonite can, whose Flying-type nature makes it one of the premier choices for such. This is big, as fitting Dragonair onto a team will be much, much harder. I am fully willing to make a data sheet showing how many more Wraps Dragonair needs to get a kill, but we all have lies and I think there's enough sense for it to not come to that. TL;DR though, it's a lot, at least 40% more, which is a significant hit to consistency. I would sooner compare Dragonair endgames to OU Victreebel ones than Dragonite reverse sweeps. What Dragonite does for a team is much greater than what Dragonair would hypothetically give: it's simply a worse Pokemon. A shit one. I don't see why Dragonair would be remotely viable outside of a gimmick, considering this metagame features Toxic users, Omastar + Haunter cores, Tentacruel, Water-types with Blizzard, so on so forth. It brings no defensive utility, has little in the way of speed control, literally requires setup, is outsped by so many Pokemon, and the only thing it brings is AgiliWrap. I'm sorry, but it's clearly not going to work, and this only furthers my point that Dragonite is the problem.

There have been comparisons to the BW Dugtrio-Diglett-Trapinch debacle...I just don't see it holding water. Wrap can prevent threats from attacking, but not only is it inconsistent, but it also doesn't mean you're literally stopped from switching and will likely die in the next 2 turns. Wrap provides you with plenty of forms of counterplay; Toxic, PP stall, switching, and even Wrap itself is inconsistent. I can definitely see the argument's merits, but I can't see it being a deal-maker in the "ban AgiliWrap" argument. Once again, I am open to the suspect testing of both as my post initially stated, as it will give you a fully-informed opinion, but I just don't see it happening. Bans like Arena Trap are meant to be extreme measures, measures you take if they fundamentally break the game's mechanics. Arena Trap largely removes a staple mechanic in Pokemon that takes just one misplay to fall victim to, and every single one of those users was bullshit in some way. Yes, even Trapinch. This dynamic doesn't seem to apply to AgiliWrap considering the other users just...aren't viable. I don't see Dragonair being taken to tour games, and as meloyy said, Moltres saw 0 usage, which is the next most viable partial trapper with Agility. You use Dragonite because it's the best Flying-type, and because it's broken...because of AgiliWrap.

Last edited:
I don't see how surgically removing AgiliWrap from its moveset is any different to removing Libero from Cinderace or Gorilla Tactics from Galarian Darmanitan in Gen 8 OU.
I know you touched on this in your edit, but I just want to reaffirm my stance on using precedents set by other tiers in this situation. As you mentioned, “surgically removing” Agility + Wrap from Dragonite is similar to removing Libero from Cinderace or Gorilla Tactics from Darmanitan-Galar. However it is also similar to removing Baton Pass from Smeargle in ADV OU, Soul Dew from Latias in DPP OU, Snow Warning from Abomasnow in BW2 UU, Prankster + Assist from Liepard in BW2 RU, Chatter from Chatot in ORAS PU, and so on. The point of this is not to repeat the argument of a previous post of mine. The point is that if we are going to look to precedents set by other tiers on this matter then firstly, there are plenty of examples of complex bans similar to the proposed Agility + Wrap ban and secondly, the precedents set by the tiers listed above are more applicable in this case as they parallel RBY UU’s esotericism and leniency much more than current-generation OU.

Dragonite's health outside of AgiliWrap isn't relevant when you're arbitrarily picking and choosing what leaves and what doesn't.
There was nothing arbitrary about considering this complex ban. It is a ban that maintains Dragonite while ridding RBY UU of Agility + Wrap in totality, a compromise between the Dragonite ban or Wrap ban and no ban at all. Dragonite’s health outside of Agility + Wrap sets is absolutely relevant because if it is not broken without Agility + Wrap then I do not see a reason to ban Dragonite over just banning Agility + Wrap outside of arguments against the idea of a complex ban, which I have tried to address well enough in my posts.

As for the points regarding Dragonair, Moltres, Rapidash, and the inherent brokenness of Agility + Wrap, I wanted to share my thoughts as well. I do not think it can be concluded that Agility + Wrap is not inherently uncompetitive just because there is a very small pool of viable abusers in UU. With any Pokémon using Agility + Wrap, counterplay consists of either switching thirty-two times or hoping for your opponent to miss once they have used Agility. You could say that the less effective abusers are not often presented with opportunities to use Agility, but it still only takes one turn for this to change. Dragonair, Moltres, and Rapidash are nowhere near as effective as Dragonite when it comes to using Agility + Wrap, but why defend their ability to use an uncompetitive strategy in the first place?

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
You're missing my point entirely. As I have stated multiple times, I support both suspect tests, because it contributes to a balanced decision. I am giving my thoughts for what I would pick in the event that both do happen. Please do not misrepresent my standpoint.
I know you touched on this in your edit, but I just want to reaffirm my stance on using precedents set by other tiers in this situation. As you mentioned, “surgically removing” Agility + Wrap from Dragonite is similar to removing Libero from Cinderace or Gorilla Tactics from Darmanitan-Galar. However it is also similar to removing Baton Pass from Smeargle in ADV OU, Soul Dew from Latias in DPP OU, Snow Warning from Abomasnow in BW2 UU, Prankster + Assist from Liepard in BW2 RU, Chatter from Chatot in ORAS PU, and so on. The point of this is not to repeat the argument of a previous post of mine. The point is that if we are going to look to precedents set by other tiers on this matter then firstly, there are plenty of examples of complex bans similar to the proposed Agility + Wrap ban and secondly, the precedents set by the tiers listed above are more applicable in this case as they parallel RBY UU’s esotericism and leniency much more than current-generation OU.
The bans you cite can be drawn as similar cases, and as I said, you can bring up other bans as similarities. However, as I also stated, no bans are similar, and complex bans are not meant to be the norm. Every single one of those bans you cited are extreme in nature; Soul Dew, Snow Warning and Chatter were all ludicrously broken and enabled a lot more than you think. Note "enabled", as Dragonite is selfish in nature almost all the time, and switching with AgiliWrap is sometimes not even done. We shouldn't be arbitrarily nerfing Dragonite when it is, by definition, the nuclear option. There have been bans that go against tiering policy, many of which were in Gen 5. However, I once again promise you that these are far from the norm, and as such, should not be used to normalize the practice. Complex bans are the extreme, nuclear options that you use when there's no other viable option.

RBY UU hasn't got a concrete identity either, outside of being the Wrap tier. This is the first time tiering has been actively done for it, so to call it esoteric and lenient now would be jumping the gun. If you want it to be esoteric and lenient, however, the appropriate measure would be to do nothing. I wouldn't want the tier to be esoteric, as that means, by definition of the word, making the tier inaccessible to most. That's not only counterproductive...but backwards in tiering philosophy. The last thing I want to see is RBY UU adopting such an exclusionary philosophy.

There was nothing arbitrary about considering this complex ban. It is a ban that maintains Dragonite while ridding RBY UU of Agility + Wrap in totality, a compromise between the Dragonite ban or Wrap ban and no ban at all. Dragonite’s health outside of Agility + Wrap sets is absolutely relevant because if it is not broken without Agility + Wrap then I do not see a reason to ban Dragonite over just banning Agility + Wrap outside of arguments against the idea of a complex ban, which I have tried to address well enough in my posts.
There's nothing arbitrary about considering an AgiliWrap ban, as I said I am in support of both for the sake of discourse. I am, however, on the "Ban Dragonite" side, because I believe it is the most equitable solution that goes alongside tiering policy.

Dragonite's health outside of AgiliWrap has had no evidence provided to substantiate the argument. What kind of health is it? Healthy top tier, balanced Pokemon, or not making a substantial impact on the tier? This has not been provided, even by Volk, who is the proponent of the idea from what I have seen. There are no replays in this thread that have been provided alongside the argument, not even anything mathematical like I've painstakingly had to do to demonstrate Dragonair and Moltres being terrible. I don't doubt Dragonite's health outside of AgiliWrap, considering Volk is a smart lad and I enjoy debates with him, but from the way it's been repeated, it has begun to feel disingenuous. Besides that, the type of health you're proposing is important as well when navigating this argument. I would personally err on the side of Dragonite not being that great, considering most use it because it's a broken Flying-type that can reverse 6-0 an opponent because of AgiliWrap's existence, but hey, you're the one who's meant to be making the case. It's being bopped by Tentacruel without AgiliWrap anyway.

Even if Dragonite is healthy and you demonstrate this, considering how tiering is supposed to work, it still feels like you have it backwards. Preservation is a last-resort option that is often telling of how broken a tier is. It's like preserving Aegislash to counter Mega Kangaskhan in XY OU: you don't keep broken things to check broken things. If Blaziken isn't broken without Speed Boost, why aren't you banning Speed Boost + Blaziken, or Speed Boost? Because you're throwing out the basis of Pokemon tiering by not tiering the Pokemon. I cannot stress enough just how extreme a measure this is. While the Mewtwo without Stat Exp and DV argument is a massive leap, it is a comparison you can draw for those bans I just mentioned, it's just on a smaller scale. If you need a comparison that fits your narrative, how about banning Reflect on Chansey, considering it's what causes people headaches in RBY OU? It's not manipulating game state to the same degree, but I'm sure you can understand my point here. I can't help but think this feels more in line with these bans than any of what you're proposing. I genuinely don't think you understand how extreme the circumstances need to be for a complex ban.

As for the points regarding Dragonair, Moltres, Rapidash, and the inherent brokenness of Agility + Wrap, I wanted to share my thoughts as well. I do not think it can be concluded that Agility + Wrap is not inherently uncompetitive just because there is a very small pool of viable abusers in UU. With any Pokémon using Agility + Wrap, counterplay consists of either switching thirty-two times or hoping for your opponent to miss once they have used Agility. You could say that the less effective abusers are not often presented with opportunities to use Agility, but it still only takes one turn for this to change. Dragonair, Moltres, and Rapidash are nowhere near as effective as Dragonite when it comes to using Agility + Wrap, but why defend their ability to use an uncompetitive strategy in the first place?
I wasn't arguing that any of those Pokemon were viable, and I frankly think they're garbage. You agreed with this but believed this meant they should be excluded from the discussion. My argument was that your very own demonstration of their lack of viability shows that Dragonite is the problem. None of the Pokemon mentioned here are going to make any waves in the tier if Dragonite is banned because they are awful at using AgiliWrap in the tier. I went over all of Dragonair's issues in my post that shows that the strategy is awful when being used by it, and I encourage you to argue against my point rather than beside it. It's not about the opportunities: the risk-reward is so mathematically unfavourable for the user that the progress made in the best possible scenario simply isn't worth it. The inconsistency, drastically weaker damage output and weaker power levels - all of which you glossed over in this post - are all extremely relevant when considering this. Even if you somehow get the opportunity to use Agility, all of that applies. You're still carrying Pokemon that are leagues below Dragonite's contributions to a team. Remember my point about Dragonite's position as a Dugtrio check? None of the Pokemon mentioned bring any defensive utility to a team, and that is just the least of their problems, considering everything mentioned here. They are not viable, and that is why Dragonite is the problem because it breaks the unviable strategy and uses it to 6-0 teams.

If the other abusers are nowhere near as effective as Dragonite when it comes to using AgiliWrap, then the reason you defend the strategy is, well, because the strategy isn't good or viable when used by shit Pokemon. This shows that only one threat is breaking the strategy, and thus identifies the true problem with the tier. You have demonstrated, to me, that the strategy is made broken by Dragonite.

Your argument that banning the whole thing, when it is only viable on a single Pokemon, is inherently flawed in that it goes against the philosophy of tiering threats. If the strategy isn't viable, then it's suboptimal to use, and thus you should be winning against it more often than not. If you truly agree with me that these threats aren't viable, then you should believe that playing around these threats will be easier, and thus lead to more consistent wins, yes? In which case, why would you use these threats at all? You, yourself, have demonstrated that they are not viable. Dragonite is added to teams because it does more while still breaking a normally unviable strategy. So ban Dragonite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)