BW OU Reflections - A team by Stone_Cold (peaked #1)

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
focus sash is to switch in and guarentee i live, sub is to get to 1 if i don't switch in. other then that thanks for the rates :)

what do you do against Latios? trying this team I basically had to sack something, and trying to then set up dnight sometimes worked, but other times they ran Skarm or something and it was just a pattern of get ruined by latios, have it switch out, come back in and ruin something else.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You got Starmie with Ice Beam, Tornadobro with Specs Hurricane, Jolteon with EBelt HP Ice. Set up DDNite after Special falls.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Normally it's Jolt vs Latios when I do face Lati and so I sub, then hp ice, i live a -2 draco, then i can hp ice for the kill or bp if i suspect the switch.

Umm, this is the smallest nitpick in the universe but if you use the 31/30/30/31/31/31 IV spread for HP ice, and move your last 4 EV's from HP to defense, you don't lose the speed drop, and you're only losing points to attack, which is arguably good due to less damage on confusion (granted it's probably so small a difference it doesn't matter). The real reason to do this is so you win against other jolteon running HP ice who didn't change the IV spread and can force a tie with those that aren't running it at all.

FFS I ran into this team 4 times in a row with 4 different people using it (I beat them all though).

Congrats on #1. I'm curious though what is your plan against sand stall?

OK, let me edit this post after getting called out for /bragging:

This is a great team. Period. It takes a lot of skill to get to #1 and especially to do it with a unique offensive team. As like many good teams, people go and test them out on the ladder. I myself have NEVER had success copying another person's team because smart battlers know exactly what's coming and people do not play teams like the original creator does. The biggest mistake people make using this team is wasting Tornadus, because it can even take out much of a stall team when done correctly. The other mistake is thinking that Starmie can take out things like Jellicent that it would with Life Orb, but Jellicent recovers off the damage from an Energy Ball and stalls it out with Toxic. For this reason, I would try a Life Orb over Leftovers to do more power to ghosts and give you an easier time against hazards.

Again, congrats and sorry for /bragging earlier.
I'm sure it was sucky people who used Stone's team. I'm pretty sure when we battled for the tutee tourney, I used this team... So yeah...

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
Umm, this is the smallest nitpick in the universe but if you use the 31/30/30/31/31/31 IV spread for HP ice, and move your last 4 EV's from HP to defense, you don't lose the speed drop, and you're only losing points to attack, which is arguably good due to less damage on confusion (granted it's probably so small a difference it doesn't matter). The real reason to do this is so you win against other jolteon running HP ice who didn't change the IV spread and can force a tie with those that aren't running it at all.

I don't mind being slower, actually when I was on ladder I found everyone running this team so I lowered my jolteons speed because I often ended up w/ jolt vs jolt and they'd sub pass and id sub pass and when i sub pass i get a free dd w/ dnite, and it makes them guess what im gonna bring. It's hard to explain.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
Well Rotom loves to come in on Politoed and HP grass is a clean 2hko regardless of the ev's normally while HPump only 2hits non defensive variants.

Okay can I just say that "how do you handle x" posts are not in any way constructive. This is obviously not a stall team, so that really isn't going to help. He even tells you at the beginning (if you'll actually read the RMT) that this team is pure offense. Obviously, because he is in BW OU, he can't handle everything perfectly but he's probably used this team enough to have some sort of game plan. Also to be fair he's not going to use this team what with it being the most luv'd team al presente so it doesn't even matter.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Looks like scarf-Terrakion and sacrfers in general (which are becoming more common due to Excadrill's ban) will give you troubles. Since this is an offensive team packing a dedicated Terra counter may ruin your strategy so I belive that you just have to play smart and revenge kill it with Dugtrio.

Since the team has already proven to be successfull I don't think there's too much to suggest, maybe I'd just drop rain dance on Tornadus for tailwind. You don't have swift swimmers that may benefit from it late game (because of the drizzle+SS ban, obviously) while giving an instant +2 Spe to Starmie or Jolteon might save you from things like rock polish Terrakion or DD Haxorus\Dragonite, which may attempt to set up on Politoed or even Tornadus locked into focus blast.

Grats on your success on the ladder.

it seems to me that dd haxorus sweeps this team 6-0 (or even scarf haxorus!)

therefore, i second running tailwind on tornadus.

Can someone enlighten me as to how to use the dugtrio. I put him on my rain team (simliar)to counter opposing weather leads, but I have no idea how to use him. Even on 1HP he has trouble OHKOing TTar with a reversal, and he seems so damn squishy :(. Any help?

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
Im not sure what kinda duggy your using, but if im at 1hp and they don't have chople berry, I OHKO 100% of the time, and hell if they are at 75% - 80% I sometimes OHKO w/ chople intact. I use it in coordination w/ u-turn and baton pass that way I can quickly get to ttar and sometimes at full health. If I think tar is chople I eq to bring it down to half and then I can just eq again once sash activiates for the kill.

Hey this team is great!

I just have one suggestion. I used a similar dugtrio to great effect and i think mine has a notable advantage in taking out scarftoad and being a bit stronger. Anyway here it is.

Dugtrio @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Spa)
- Bulldoze
- Earthquake
- Stealth rock
- Reversal

Bulldoze is key here and lets you beat scarf weather abusers. Enjoy :)

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I was under the impression that max speed Dugtrio could outrun all of the Scarfed weather inducers anyway (save Ninetales but no one would be that stupid).

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
Scarf Poli can beat duggy iirc but only if it's like timid. Scarf duggy is too weak for my taste haha.

hey stone this team is absolutely incredible, props

ive had people ragequit when i ohko their blissey with reversal dugtrio. total troll poke

only major cockblock i found so far was a mamoswine when my politoed was dead but yeah like you said careful play and offensive pressure and you're sorted. cheers

this is a good team so i won't really rate it per se but i run a very similar team (i think we have 4 mons in common but then again what rain offense team doesn't) and i am really enjoying raikou and scizor (i use scizor as a crutch cos im bad LoL) so if people want to steal this team and cry about how they can't make it work they can use those mons cause they're easier :)

I have been testing this team, and im sorry to say it is tragically flawed against cloyster. not a single mon on the team stops cloyster after a single shell smash, except toad in a small percent of the time but toad cant ko so.... sorry

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
That just means you are playing dugtrio wrecklessly seeing as everyone but duggy and dnite can OHKO cloyster. If you see cloyster, or any other mon like dnite for that matter, your incentive is to get duggy in there, and get the rocks up. From there, cloyster shouldn't even be a problem, your opponent isn't going to just start w/ cloyster and shell smash away, it's a late game sweeper, they will play it like one.

I have one question...how do u handle ferrothorn...politoed is walled, starmie is useless against it, it laughs at jolteon, dugtrio's max reversal doesn't KO, (I know i use to run this set), dragonite sets up on it, but only has dragon claw, not a reliable way of disposing ferrothornintheass, and tornadobro, is probably ur best bet with focus miss, (although specs hurricane is nothing nice) which cant switch very much if rocks is up...still.
Its the most use pokemon and i see 4 of ur pokes as a liabilty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)