Approved Return/Frustration Base Power Tooltip

Could Return and Frustration show their base powers when mousing over your party members? It would really help Hackmons Cup players.

If just doing it for those two moves doesn't make sense, then could it be done for all moves? It would also help newer Hackmons Cup players who aren't familiar with more obscure attacks, and would just generally be nice.

pre

pkmn.cc
You'd probably want to add base power to where move is displayed in the 'Pokemon' tooltip, and repurpose some of the logic for calculating base power that the 'Move' tooltip uses.

I'd probably also have us show PP usage for the switch 'Pokemon' tooltip, it appears to currently only do it for sidebar hovers.

I think is is fairly straightforward - one concern would be how to display both PP and base power in the tooltip ('Frustration (29/32)' or 'Frustration (102)' make sense IMO, but 'Frustration (102) (29/32)' is kind of awkward? 'Frustration [102] (29/32)' also looks kind of ugly/cluttered? Any ideas here?)

It's been a few hours and I still don't have a good idea of how to solve it. Having both would probably look really weird.

"Frustration - 102 BP (32/32)"?
Or just "Frustration - 102 (32/32)" though that may be a little more confusing.

I do agree it would be very useful for Hackmons, though ultimately rather situational as usually it wouldn't be an unknown quality. (And in Hackmons it's usually not all that strong/relevant anyway.)

The only other thing I could imagine this being relevant for would be Gen II/III Hackmons Hidden Power, which...seems like a small audience.

Last edited:

pre

pkmn.cc
I think for Frustration/Return almost any way of display is fine (though `Frustration - 102 BP (32/32)` seems the most reasonable). It's more that if we were to want to display it for all moves that I think we would worry about the display being cluttered or what not.

I think if we restrict the scope of the problem to only Frustration/Return and only when the BP is not 102 (which would probably only happen in more nice formats) then its not too important to worry about the display. I'm fairly sure we can do that.

pre

pkmn.cc
Was going to just knock this one out quickly, but its actually a little more obnoxious because the client doesn't appear to actually know the happiness. We either need to send it in the request's side data (perhaps only when relevant) or the set information needs to somehow be wired up in the battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)