Rivalry of Nidoqueen ~

I was bored last night, and was looking at Nidoking's movepool, and decided to try something with it's versatility. I then came to the realization that with what I wanted to do, Nidoqueen would be better suited. It was originaly a novelty idea, and will require good predicition in some cases, so bear with me if you don't like what you see.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpAtk
Nature: Quiet (+SpAtk, -Spd)
Ability: Rivalry
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam/Shadow Ball
- Focus Punch

EDIT: After taking a look at some calcs. on what Nido could and couldn't take, which I couldn't do earlier due to lack of time, I felt it was better that I give it the extra added boost in SpAtk and HP, as it wasn't going to outspeed most of the things it was countering anyway.

Note: Any Focus Punch calcs. are assuming that rivalry reduced Nido's power, aside from Blissey.

Focus Punch - 1HKO Blissey
Focus Punch -1HKO Tyranitrar
Focus Punch - 1HKO Weavile
Earth Power - 49.50% - 58.17% - Tyranitar w/ 252 HP
Earth Power - 58.65% - 68.91% - Tyranitar
Focus Punch - 81.44% - 95.79% - Tyraniboah
Earth Power - 46.78% - 55.20% - Tyraniboah
Thunderbolt - 83.23% - 97.90% - Skarmory
Thunderbolt - 1HKO Gyarados
Earth Power - 1HKO Electivire
Earth Power - 1HKO Magnezone
Ice Beam - 1HKO Garchomp
Ice Beam - 1HKO Salamence
Ice Beam - 1HKO Dugtrio
Ice Beam - 1HKO Donphan
Ice Beam - 64.76% - 76.19% Hippowdon
Shadow Ball - 80.46% - 95.02% - Gengar
Shadow Ball - 41.44% - 48.65% - 252 HP/252 Def Cresselia
Earth Power - 1HKO Infernape
Thunderbolt - 43.32% -50.99% to Suicune
Thunderbolt - 58.24% - 68.20% to Starmie

Here are some calcs on taking hits:

Jolly Weavile Ice Punch w/ Life Orb - 89.58% - 105.21%
Jolly CB Weavile Ice Punch - 1HKO
Jolly CB Aero EQ - 83.07% - 97.66%
Jolly Tyranitar EQ - 65.89% - 77.60%
w/ DD - 98.44% - 115.63%
Tyraniboah Dark Pulse - 34.90% - 41/15%
Tyraniboah Focus Punch - 20.31% - 23/96%
Skarmory Drill Peck - 21.61% - 25.26%
Bulky Gyara Waterfall - 63.02% - 73.96
w/ DD - 93.75 - 110.42%
Adamant Electivire w/ Life Orb Ice Punch - 82.29% - 96.88%
Jolly Electivire w/ Life Orb Ice Punch- 75% - 88.28%
Timid Magnezone HP Ice - 30.47% - 35.94%
Modest Magnezone HP Ice - 33.33% - 39.32%
Jolly Garchomp w/ Life Orb EQ - 1HKO
Jolly Salamence EQ - 66.15% - 77.86%
w/DD - 98.96% - 116.41%
Jolly Dugtrio CB EQ - 1HKO
252 HP/252 Def Donphan EQ - 74.74% 0 87.76%
252 HP/252 Def Hippowdon EQ - 70.31% - 82.81%
Timid Gengar w/ Life Orb Shadow Ball - 51.30% - 60.42%
Timid Gengar w/ Specs Shadow Ball - 59.38% - 69.79%
252 HP/252 Def Cresselia Psychic - 46.61% - 54.95%
w/ Calm Mind - 69.27% - 81.51%
Jolly Infernape w/ Life Orb Flare Blitz - 64.58 - 75.78
Timid Infernape w/Life Orb Flamethrower - 52.08% - 61.46%
w/ NP - 1HKO
Suicune Surf - 1HKO

Opinions? Suggestions?

I currently don't have the time to read this, but in general never use neutral natures. You are better off using Naughty or Rash.

I generally don't. But given Nidoqueen's defenses, I didn't feel like lowering them. The mixed set requires both offenses. I could lower speed, as I did with the Choice Specs version of the set though.

Nidoqueen is one of the few pokemon who resists everything a standard Heracross can throw at it... Megahorn, Close Combat, Stone Edge... the only exception is earthquake (ironically).

Another option is of course Attract. On shoddybattle, most pokemon are male because it is the default option.

Finally, I expect Cresselia to wall this set horribly. I'd prefer Nidoking + rivalry + attract for that reason if I were going to risk the gender thing.

Unfortunately, no matter how many EVs you pump into this thing, it won't kill a Cresselia. Most things are like that, though. So I'm ignoring that fact for now and keeping a note that when using the set, to keep some support against Cresselia.

also rivalry will weaken your attacks by 25% if your attacking a male anyways...with most pokemon being used being male thats a rather bad thing

You mention outrunning Timid Magnezone. I may not play on Shoddy enough to notice, but do a significant number of people run Timid instead of Modest?

You mention outrunning Timid Magnezone. I may not play on Shoddy enough to notice, but do a significant number of people run Timid instead of Modest?
Given Magnezone's special attack stat, I would assume so. That's the set I have seen most around, despite my limited online game experience.

Hm... weird. I was thinking if most Magnezone still run Modest... Maggy's Speed maxes at 219 with Modest, so you could actually run a -Speed nature with just a few more EVs than what you have there, and use a +SpAtk or something to beef up your attacks.

Actually, that seems pretty stupid, -Speed with near max EVs. Nevermind.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You should really do the damage calcs for things you expect to switch into Nidoqueen...

I'm thinking of changing the nature to quiet, and possibly going with a 252/4/252 set... It would survive a HP Ice from Magnezone rather then outrunning it, give it more staying power... Could also allow it to surive a CB Jolly EQ from Aero.

You did damage calculations to common pokes that Nidoqueen could take on, but what about if it can survive a hit long enough to DO that damage? Sure, it's got defenses, but can it actually survive stuff like a Gyra's waterfall, DD or no? How much does Heracross EQ do to this Nido (as someone else pointed out)?

Damage calcs from the poke are nice, but can't win a set alone... damage calcs TO the poke also should be included, to see what it can survive and KO in return.

You did damage calculations to common pokes that Nidoqueen could take on, but what about if it can survive a hit long enough to DO that damage? Sure, it's got defenses, but can it actually survive stuff like a Gyra's waterfall, DD or no? How much does Heracross EQ do to this Nido (as someone else pointed out)?
Exactly. Before you go deciding a nature, see what Nidoqueen can take. You may find that lowering those defenses wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Basic rule of thumb is not to use neutral natures as most of the time you can lower one of your defenses without much of a problem. You also need SBall to put a dent on Cress which sadly wont get the rivalry bonus so Cress can switch in pretty well.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Basic rule of thumb is not to use neutral natures as most of the time you can lower one of your defenses without much of a problem. You also need SBall to put a dent on Cress which sadly wont get the rivalry bonus so Cress can switch in pretty well.
Nidoqueen does get Shadow Claw which can get the Rivalry boost and dent Cresselia on the switch-in. Although, I'm not really sure where you'd put that. But remember, Ghost/Fighting is resisted by absolutely nothing in the game, so it could well with Focus Punch, though Ice Beam would help more because Shadow Claw isn't super-effective on much.

SClaw is not practical as Ice beam and FPunch cover a lot more. So Cress should have no problem walling this set, the idea is okay rather gimmicky but usable. Anyways I'm not sure if this NidoQueen can compete in OU well it will do much better in staying in the lower ranks.

Hm... Too bad. I did originally believe it had more staying power. I will test it out in the field anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)