All Gens RoAPL VI: Talk Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjdaas

this girl rly slapped some letters together huh
is a Community Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Currently all logos were done by 0Nl thanks friend!
⏮ RoAPL 5 | Discord | Spreadsheet

Manager Signups | Player Signups | Talk | Replays | Usage | Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Semifinals | Finals

FINAL ROSTERS

Aspertia Arcanines
Managers:
Mysterious M | Astamatitos
Players (17): Kebab mlml, sulcata, Asuya, shawyu 1313, Kingler12345, rozes, Melle2402, byronthewellwell, Watchog, Diophantine, Kiichikos, choolio, p2, Lord Thorx, DevinSmokesYall, snøfall, Nalorium

Canalave Crobats
Managers:
Roseybear | HML am
Players (14): Insult, z0mOG, Void, blarghlfarghl, Christos21, Stone_Cold, lax, gorgie, Louna, jacob, idiotfrommars, umbreon098, Hamhamhamhamham, Rokhan

Iki Igglybuffs

Managers: Luigi | -Tsunami-
Players (15): TDK, Zokuru, 1 True Lycan, Hipmonlee, Caetano93, robjr, Eternal Spirit, Kushalos, SOMALIA, col49, ggggd, HANTSUKI, Askov, Da Raikage, Mannat

Lilycove Ludicolos

Managers: CALLOUS | JabbaTheGriffin
Players (13): Raiza, Nails, xray, EB0LA, Mr.378, Hclat, Kevin Garrett, The Sprinkler, Vusty., Oibaf, brewfasa, lighthouses, Ophion

Mt. Moon Men
Managers:
Gilbert arenas | PDC
Players (12): McMeghan, MetalGro$$, pasy_g, BIHI, Emeral, Raichy, Jytcampbell, Leo, Ace-11, roystopror, Coconut, Sam

Mossdeep Meteorites
Managers:
BKC | TonyFlygon
Players (13): Golden Sun, Finchinator, Heroic Troller, Welli0u, frisoeva, SFG, Vileman, TSR, Sharow, Mister Tim, Pak, Bouff, peng

Poni Plains Ponytas
Managers:
Eo Ut Mortus | crayon pop
Players (14): dice, M Dragon, We Three Kings, baddummy, Djokra, Sakito, Separation, false, Exiline, SaDiSTiCNarwhal, innisfree, Eeveeto, Haru, Souf

Sunyshore City Shaymins

Managers: Excal | Hyogafodex
Players (12): Altina, Alexander., Century Express, Marshall.Law, eden, Energy, The Quasar, Vulpix03, sheep, Ranshiin, A Hero's Destiny, xJoelituh

Auction logs by FOMG:
Auction Log (Bidders & Hosts): https://pastebin.com/raw/t9Jc7ZS3
Talk Log (Anyone): https://pastebin.com/raw/PSY19xD0

Price Logs
Sorted by price: https://pastebin.com/raw/Dbx4wi7a
Left chronologically: https://pastebin.com/raw/4SQF1eeA
Sorted by price per teams: https://pastebin.com/raw/1wFvRmYV

Chronological
regex search (Notepad++) on Auction Log and remove lines not with .*Scrappie.*has bought.*\!$ using bookmark, mark all; and then do search -> bookmark -> remove unmarked lines.

Additional Steps for Sorted by price:
Delete .*Scrappie:\s, has bought\s, and !
Replace \*\* with [
Replace \[\s?\[ with ]\t
Replace \[\sfor\s with \t
Copy to Excel and reverse Column order, Sort by Price.
Copy back to Notepad++ and Replace \t with
Change FALSE to false if need be.
Sorted by price per teams:
copy from .pricelist, arrange alphabetically and swap columns.
The auction occured on Sunday March 29th at 02:00PM EDT / 08:00 PM CEST

Last edited by a moderator:

kjdaas

is a Community Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Schedule

Week 1: March 30th
Mossdeep Meteorites vs. Lilycove Ludicolos
Canalave Crobats vs. Mt. Moon Men
Sunyshore Shaymins vs. Poni Plains Ponytas
Aspertia Arcanines vs. Iki Igglybuffs

Week 2: April 6th
Lilycove Ludicolos vs. Iki Igglybuffs

Poni Plains Ponytas vs. Aspertia Arcanines
Mt. Moon Men vs. Sunyshore Shaymins
Mossdeep Meteorites vs. Canalave Crobats

Week 3: April 13th
Canalave Crobats vs. Lilycove Ludicolos
Sunyshore Shaymins vs. Mossdeep Meteorites
Aspertia Arcanines vs. Mt. Moon Men
Iki Igglybuffs vs. Poni Plains Ponytas

Week 4: April 20th
Lilycove Ludicolos vs. Poni Plains Ponytas
Mt. Moon Men vs. Iki Igglybuffs
Mossdeep Meteorites vs. Aspertia Arcanines
Canalave Crobats vs. Sunyshore Shaymins

Week 5: April 27nd
Sunyshore Shaymins vs. Lilycove Ludicolos
Aspertia Arcanines vs. Canalave Crobats
Iki Igglybuffs vs. Mossdeep Meteorites

Poni Plains Ponytas vs. Mt. Moon Men

Week 6: May 4th
Lilycove Ludicolos vs. Mt. Moon Men
Mossdeep Meteorites vs. Poni Plains Ponytas
Canalave Crobats vs. Iki Igglybuffs
Sunyshore Shaymins vs. Aspertia Arcanines

Week 7: May 11th
Aspertia Arcanines vs. Lilycove Ludicolos
Iki Igglybuffs vs. Sunyshore Shaymins

Poni Plains Ponytas vs. Canalave Crobats

Mt. Moon Men vs. Mossdeep Meteorites

Semifinals: Approximately May 18th
A: 1st vs. 4th
B: 2nd vs. 3rd

Finals: Approximately May 25th
A vs. B

kjdaas

Hosting Hitmontops: Administrative Decisions

Hosts: HSOWA, kjdaas and vanisherrr
Monitor: Lutra (Discord Owner)

Arbitrations

March 15th: ICBB players are allowed to join, whereas tournament and circuit banned players are not.

March 15th: Activity wins / dead games will be decided by the 3 hosts. Ghosting/other cheating offences will be decided by the hosts subject to site-wide punishment and evidence guidelines.

March 16th: Aspertia Arcanines, Mt. Moon Men and Sunyshore Shaymins have the ability to retain players from their teams last time. Poni Plains Ponyta shared management from Konikoni City last time, so they can retain those players. A
shuffle took place to decide what new teams were paired with what remaining old teams with regard to ability to retain players. Iki Igglybuffs were paired with Po Town Power; Lilycove Ludicolos were paired with Heathome City Heatrans; Mossdeep Meteorites were paired with Mauville Magnetons; and Canalave Crobats were paired with Pyrite Town Pichus.

April 15th: Hyogafodex has been banned from the forums for the remainder of RoAPL 6, and won't be able to be the assistant manager for the Sunyshore Shaymin anymore. The Sunyshore Shaymin have been able to promote one of their players to assistant manager, and have chosen Altina. He'll still be able to play.

April 15th: Exiline has been banned from the forums for the remainder of RoAPL 6. Poni Plains Ponytas are allowed to sellback him for 3k and obtain a player from the remaining pool for 3k.

April 19th: The Canalave Crobats are selling back Louna for inactivity and ignoring all message from both of their managers over the last couple of weeks. They are allowed to pick up a new player from the original pool.

April 26th: The Lilycove Ludicolos are selling back Ophion for unsportsmanlike conduct and have removed him from their discord. They are allowed to pick up a new player from the original pool.

May 17th: We have confirmation that during the game of snøfall vs The Sprinkler, snøfalls teammate byronthewellwell linked the sprinklers team (a private team but used by other people) to snøfall in their teamchat. According to a TD, any team that isn't publicly posted somewhere on the forum, is private, and linking those teams is considered leaking. Therefore, we will annul the results of the game and byronthewellwell will be given an unsportsmanlike behaviour infraction. He will not be tourbanned and not be removed from the tour, due to the leaking affecting the game not as much for these much harder measures to be necessary. Because snøfall told his opponent afterwards that the team was linked and he did not ask for the team at all, he will not face any punishments.

However, in the precedent of Znain vs Gondra in SPL 9 the game was called dead because the decision was made after the deadline. The td and the hosts all agreed that its different now because the decision was made before the deadline, so that the game can be replayed if possible. Therefore, we have asked the players to replay and snøfall won again.

Sorry for the confusion, there was a lot of discussions behind the scene especially regarding how literally we should interpret the global tournament rules and if we should be more lenient then in SPL (where this would have been punished much harder). We have decided to be a bit more lenient but also show that we don't want people to link importables at all (except if these are posted publicly as a rmts or are from some bazaar/teambuild workshop). Please check the tournament rules if what you are doing is allowed!

Ruleset Changes / Clarifications
March 15th: Entry into the playoffs is decided by the top 4 according to Most Team Points > Most Individual Wins > Least Fail-to-Play Points (2 points for an adjudged loss and 1 point for a dead game). If a tie persists, head-to-head will be evaluated, and a 3-on-3 tiebreaker will be scheduled if the head-to-head was a tie.

March 15th: In the event of a playoffs tiebreak, management of both teams will rank their preferred tiers from #1-#3. Points will be assigned to the ranks in the following way: Higher Seed (#1 or #2 in semis): #1 - 100000, #2 - 1000, #3 - 10, #4-6 - 0 | Lower Seed (#3 or #4 in semis): #1 - 10000, #2 - 100, #3 - 1, #4-6 - 0. The point values are arbitrary but represent the relationship of higher seed > lower seed > higher seed > lower seed > higher seed > lower seed in terms of weighting. The 3 tiers with the highest number of points will be selected for the tiebreak set and managers will then choose any 3 unique players from each of their teams to play in the determined tier spots. If there's a tie in seeds that can't be broken, the same process will be used but with equal weighting of 100, 10, 1 and the 3rd tier will be decided at random if a tie persists.

March 15th: A team week win is worth 2 points. A team tie is worth 1 point. A team loss is worth 0 points. All gens matches are FT1W, except RBY which is FT2W. All match results give individual wins and losses. Dead games and ties give neither a win or loss.

March 15th: Retains were accepted, because half of the teams are returning teams from last year. However, teams can retain a max of 3 players and cannot trade retain rights. The retain rules follow the same format as the SPL ones. If a manager wants to retain a player, managers must do a forum or discord PM with all the hosts: HSOWA, vanisherrr, and kjdaas, and tell which player they want to retain and what their correct retain price is (last year's price plus 3k, but 10k minimum).

March 15th: The maximum number of players a team can have is 20 players (10 starters and 10 subs). The minimum amount of players a team needs stays 12 (10 starters and 2 subs). All teams have 120k auction credit.

March 15th: Like last year there will be no midseason at all, but managers will be able to trade and/or sellback players from the start of the Week 2 until the end of Week 4. Sellback replacements consist of any valid unbought player. Players traded or bought as a sellback replacement will not be able to play until the following week. Sellback replacement order will be determined by highest value of the player being sold back. In the event of a tie, the first manager to send a valid PM is prioritized. For a sellback to be valid, managers must do a forum PM with all the hosts: HSOWA, vanisherrr, and kjdaas. The deadline will be on Saturday 23:59PM EDT each week (2-4) and we will announce the sellbacks on the Sunday, and let you know earlier if there are any sellback replacement request clashes.

March 15th: Both Players involved within a match whose replays are missing (not saved or publicly available) will have a counter incremented. In the case of RBY, because of FT2W, every missing replay will increment the counter by 1, while in all other gens, the counter will be incremented by 2. When the counter reaches 4, a player cannot play for the following 2 weeks. Should they return and then further increase the counter to 6 (counter not reset), they cannot play the following 3 weeks. To prevent missing replays and allow battles to potentially be reloaded, we require every player to play their matches on https://smogtours.psim.us.

May 4th: Individual Fail Points has been renamed to Fail-to-Play Points (Fail2P Points).

Retains / Trades / Sellbacks

March 16th: The Mossdeep Meteorites have retained Golden Sun for 14k, so their total auction credit is now 120k-14k=106k.

March 17th: The Canalave Crobats have retained Insult for 11k, so their total auction credit is now 120k-11k=109k.

March 18th: The Asperia Arcanines have retained Kebab mlml for 10k, so their total auction credit is now 120-10=110k

March 19th: The Canalave Crobats have retained z0mOG for 14k, so their total auction credit is now 109k-14k=95k.

March 23th: The Poni Plains Ponytas have retained dice for 20.5k, so their total auction credit is now 120k-20.5k=99.5k.

March 25th: The Lilycove Ludicolos have retained Raiza for 13.5k, so their total auction credit is now 120k-13.5k=106.5k.

March 25th: The Mt. Moon Men have retained McMeghan for 24.5k, so their total auction credit is now 120k-24.5k=95.5k.

March 25th: The Mt. Moon Men have retained MetalGro$$ for 16.5k, so their total auction credit is now 95.5k-16.5k=79k.

March 26th: The Lilycove Ludicolos have retained Nails for 13k, so their total auction credit is now 106.5k-13k=93.5k.

March 26th: The Sunyshore Shaymins have retained Altina for 10k, so their total auction credit is now 120k-10k=110k.

April 15th: Following a sellback of Exiline for 3k, the Poni Plains Ponytas have purchased Frrf for 3k as a replacement.

April 19th: Following a sellback of Louna for 3k, the Canalave Crobats have purchased Thiago Nunes for 3k as a replacement.

April 26th: Following a sellback of Ophion for 3k, the Lilycove Ludicolos have purchased marilli for 3k as a replacement.

Alumn

Sukcesu cena
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So, I was managing Iki Igglybuffs for that mock. I have builded my draftplan 5 min before the beggining of the auction with 2 phones (1 for the spreadsheet, 1 for notes) and a PC.

My English isn't perfect so I hope you will understand.

My first buy was Diophantine who's good at GSC and other tiers so I said to myself: "this guy is sub for GSC 100% + he's flexible + he worked already with frenchies". Then Roro nom popped up. I was like: "WTF, Roro signed in? OMG, I'm putting 30k max, he's worth all my money". I bought him for 28k (thx guys for upbidding, but I won in the end). I was happy and then I had to think about a teambuilding core who can work with Roro. The answer was: BIHI. Roro for GSC + ADV and BIHI for DPP + BW (RBY doesn't need teambuilding, just put a good player and pray for luck). I see a good French core so I'm like: "let's go with good frenchies core". So I bought Zokuru for GSC and Emeral for DPP. For RBY, I putted Vileman because someone stole Metalgro$$ + I played with Vileman in a team tour and he's really good at RBY, just unlucky but karma has an end. Then I saw that I have no BW so I took Caasi (good BWer and knows French so only good things). Then KJ said: "Alumn, it's not WCoP. You don't have to buy all French guys". Pfff, shut up you morron. Then I had to secure gen1-3 with a good player so I wanted We Three Kings (winner of RoA Tour) but I got robbed. Same with Void for BW and Marshall.Law for BW + teambuilding (this guy builds hot teams in BW like corckscrew in ORAS, so ngl).

Then I had to go and Alkione took the management. Taking Rokhan is ok to fill gen1-3 and BW. Lucix and Sageau is ok but that was wasting 3k when you have Emeral as player and BIHI as teambuilder (but it's mock so who cares). Idk Vulpix03 and col49 so I can't say much but he took players in tiers we were lacking subs so it's ok.

The lineup in general:

Teambuilders: Roro (GSC + ADV) and BIHI (DPP + BW)
RBY: Vileman, Rokhan
GSC: Zokuru, Diophantine
ADV: Roro, col49
DPP: Emeral, BIHI, Lucix, Sageau
BW: Caasi, Vulpix03, (Rokhan)

The draft plan worked out in 75% so it's ok. Thx KJ for upbidding my players :).

PS: Don't let BKC buy BIHI + Roro. BKC + BIHI + Roro is a monstrous teambuilding core.

Last edited:
Draft:
Kebabmlml
M Dragon
TDK
Roystopror
Oibaf
Ranshiin
MTV Bratva
Real FV13
Altina
Asuya
Ifm
Luispeikou
Eeveeto
ilesaural
Melle2402
TNunes

Draft plan: Get TDK and M Drag for leading the team and overall decent picks to fill the team. Also relied hardly on spanish players that I trust and I think they have a good level. As I think teamwork and creating a group is also very important, I trusted a lot of friends and people that I have worked with many times like, roy, ranshiin, oibaf, Bratva, FV13, Luis, eeveeto, Thiago...

RBY: Ranshiin/TDK (TNunes)
GSC: Oibaf/M Dragon (RealFV13)
ADV: Roystopror/MTV Bratva (Altina)
DPP: Kebab mlml/Luispeikou
BW: Ilesaural/Asuya

Other all-around subs: Eeveeto, IFM, Melle2402

Don't take to serious who its in the initial LU, because I think starters and subs have almost the same level and will be rotating every week.

RBY: Ranshiin is a contrasted player and main in the tier, and will be playing alongside TDK, who is a world-class player.
GSC: Picked Oibaf who I have known for a long time, and has done great records in a lot of teams that we have been together, plus he alongside M DraGOD, who is one of the best players of all times. RealFV13 can also enter in MDragon slot, if I see we're losing too much games in DPP/BW.
ADV: Picked 2 personal bets and 2 great friends. They both main the tier, and are very consistent picks, as far as I see it. They won't end up 7-0 but will manage to end up 4-3 or 5-2 without any problem. Also Melle and Eeveeto can enter here, and MDrag will be helping with teams and prep.
DPP: Kebabmlml was retained by the team, i don't know too much about him, but they told me he was good on DPP, so there he goes. Alongside him is Luispako the goat, AKA UNSETS LORD (say hello to EXPERT BELT RACHI) that's a pick I really like.
BW: Bought Asuya cause he's WCOP level and I lost Raiza and put myself because I have to feed my ego.

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Thursday Mock Auction
1585267757081.png

Price Log: https://pastebin.com/g5PwJyQ7

My lineup (with help from CALLOUS):

RBY OU 1: Nails
RBY OU 2: Hipmonlee
GSC OU 1: Sam
GSC OU 2: Diophantine
ADV OU 1: Hclat
ADV OU 2: Exiline
DPP OU 1: brewfasa
DPP OU 2: Energy
BW OU 1: Raiza
BW OU 2: The Quasar

Subs: bugzinator, Endeby, Eeveeto, false, Real FV13, robjr.

Lutra

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Friday Mock Auction
1585345944224.png

M Dragon42000
TDK30000
Finchinator25000
Alexander.24000
Xevara20000
ggggd19000
sulcata17000
Melle240217000
Heroic Troller17000
lax17000
Mr.37816000
Welli0u16000
Hclat16000
Mannat16000
Oibaf15500
BIHI15000
FLCL14500
Marshall.Law14000
We Three Kings14000
Caetano9313000
eden12500
Century Express12500
Zokuru12000
robjr11500
Kiichikos11000
Vileman11000
xray10500
Djokra10000
Emeral10000
shawyu 13139500
Exiline9000
egalvanc8000
Thiago Nunes8000
Ampha8000
toytean8000
Vulpix037500
Haru7500
false7500
Kingler123457500
gorgie7500
snaga7000
HANTSUKI7000
snøfall6500
DezShizzels6500
Lacus Ichinose6000
Ranshiin6000
pasy_g6000
Hipmonlee5500
Louna5500
Decem5000
Eeveeto5000
Void5000
MTV BRATVA5000
jacob5000
EB0LA5000
bugzinator4500
Souf4500
kaori4500
Souw4500
Hamhamhamham4500
Maki's Fox4000
rozes4000
Drud4000
THUNDERCEBRA4000
Stone_Cold4000
baddummy4000
Frrf4000
MJ4000
blarghlfarghl4000
Heika3500
Alumn3500
Morale3500
Kenix3500
lighthouses3500
Real FV133000
Energy3000
p23000
SamuelBest3000
Diophantine3000
Cynara3000
roystopror3000
Akola3000
Huston3000
Kevin Garrett3000
Nalorium3000
idiotfrommars3000
Sam3000
dream3000
DKM3000
Mister Tim3000
mc565563000
London133000
toinha3000
1 True Lycan3000
Luispeikou3000
Alkione3000
Raichy3000
Lord Ninjax3000
KingKdot3000
SaDiSTiCNarwhal3000
Egor3000

Mt. Moon Men MhMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMM

RBY: Mister tiM / MetalGro$$
GSC: idiotfroMMars / Mr.378
ADV: saM / Melle2402
DPP: Mannat / haru
BW: McMeghan / dkM

Subs: HaMhaMhaMhAM naloriuM, dreaM

Lutra

YAHALLO and welcome to the UNBIASED POWER RANKINGS...kind of
I wasn't going to do these, but I thought of an interesting way to do them now. Anyway, this time, I will be doing a Power Ranking of the OFFICIAL ROAPL Power Rankings, which were just recently released. This seems like a good way for me to enlighten the masses. So...let's begin!

RBY OU:

I don't have TOO much to say about this one. I don't know who half these people are, so I'll give them some benefit of the doubt considering that there aren't many standout names here. One glaring mistake is that Christos21, a non-Asta / roudolf / Fear Greek player isn't near the bottom of the list. I would put Hantsuki decently high on here just because of his past results; I don't really care too much about the crust factor in RBY against such a lackluster player pool. I would put robjr a bit higher just because he's definitely a better player than a lot of these goons. Kingler's mediocre as hell but he's probably a bit better than some of these people as well; rozes has also at least shown to be viable in RBY on the big stage, so he should be a bit higher too. Overall, it's RBY and the playerpool is beyond garbage. These rankings aren't too awful.

GSC OU:

This is where things start to really hit the fan. M Dragon first is logical. That one's a no-brainer to me. His history in the tier is pretty much unparalleled, and he even took down the unstoppable Lavos Spawn last World Cup in this tier. After this, it gets a bit tricky. sulcata being second honestly would have been fine...if we didn't just watch him get completely waxed by everyone in SPL XI. He's CLEARLY not in good form right now, and it's not like he was some amazing player before this tour either. It seems a bit ridiculous to put him 2nd. I still have respect for his past performances, though, so he should still be relatively high. You all know I'm a massive dice fan; he displayed he had a solid grasp over the metagame in SPL, and he's definitely a better player than almost everyone on this list. I would personally put him 2nd. After this, it gets pretty tricky. I think, based off last SPL, you could argue for Floppy to be 3rd, which would be fine. Century Express has had some decent showings on the big stage, but he hasn't been too impressive. The Ice Beamer sure as hell shouldn't be anywhere near the top 5 LOOOL come on man. I'm a massive Prinz fan,but I don't know entirely how much of a grasp he has on the metagame. I know he's at least relatively competent in the tier, though, so he would be pretty high on the list for me. Zokuru came out of nowhere to have a nice SPL performance, and based off the lackluster state of the player pool, that's enough for him to be relatively high too.

lax is a big wild card; he's arguably the most skilled player on this entire list, but his GSC experience is definitely pretty negligible. TDK is kind of similar to lax, but I would probably rank him lower just based off of recent form. Welli0u is another tour player, and he's been on a tear lately in the newer generations; his GSC OU experience leaves much to be desired, but he's definitely better than the filler characters. Overall, my ranking would look something like this:

1. M Dragon
2. dice
3. Floppy
4. sulcata
5. Zokuru
6. Century Express
7. Alexander.
8. lax
9. TDK
10. Welli0u
11. Mr. 378

The rest are just filler characters you can throw in anywhere, I guess. I suppose Diophantine was at least in SPL for GSC...kind of? So, I suppose he could be next. The others are whatever. These are the rankings for right now, but people like Prinz, lax, and TDK could easily ascend up the list in rapid fashion if they display some metagame knowledge and prowess in the tier; their ceilings definitely cannot be matched by the mainers.

ADV:

Wow, this player pool is absolutely abysmal LOOOL my god. z0mOG first is...I guess okay? Like, he did have a solid SPL, with the assistance of a ton of luck. That being said, it's not like there's any real names that could make a case to go above him. Honestly, I might put Golden Sun first. He was good last SPL, and he definitely has way more experience than z0m. He might still be crust, though, but his performance last SPL at least gave me some confidence. The fact that these two are first and second, in some order, just shows how absolutely awful this pool is LOL. Hclat is a random filler character / mainer that everyone in this tour seems to obsess over. However, all I really care to know about him is that he's 0-2 on the sheet...so? KG could easily be crust too, but he did have a relatively decent SPL showing, so I guess he has to be decently high. Altina is 2-4 on the sheet and hasn't really impressed anyone. EDEN is somehow 6th, which is inconceivable LOL Have you guys WATCHED SPL the past 2 seasons? eden is definitely an unviable player. His team literally tried to slot in a Doubles main in ADV last year so that undisputed could ghost him LOL Melle's 3-5 on the sheet, but I don't think he's awful. baddummy's had some decent performances I guess; I'm not really the biggest believer in his ADV abilities, though.

Troller is an interesting one. He's definitely the best RBY player, but can those skills translate to ADV? He's looked relatively impressive in the small sample of games I've watched him play; I think he has some upside. Exiline is 2-9 on the sheet, so he's irrelevant as hell. Jyt I've never really been impressed with; I don't really have much faith in him. jacob is in a similar boat. I think Pablo is just a good player in general; I would rank him relatively high in this pool despite his lack of metagame knowledge simply because most of these players are pretty lackluster. The Baron would also be ranked decently high because of this. Overall, I suppose my rankings would look something like this:

1. Golden Sun
2. z0mOG
-----------------
3. Heroic Troller
4. ggggd
5. 1 True Lycan
6. Kevin Garrett
-----------------

I can't even rank the rest of these bums, man. LOL I don't really think it matters. Maybe Hclat's good enough to be next just because the rest of the names don't really inspire any confidence. I'd probably put Melle 7th, and maybe Hclat 8th just because the community seems to be on his nuts for some reason. eden would definitely be near the bottom of the list, but ahead of the complete filler characters like Watchog and roystopror. Anyway, the rest of these names aren't really relevant, so let's just move on.

DPP OU:

LOOOOOOOOL This is such a crime, dude. Void is without question the best player in this pool. He's the only one who has actually impressed me on a consistent basis in SPL. I think he's very talented, and has proven himself to be a force in the thinking gen. I GUESS BIHI can be second. He had a nice SPL, and Tony has said multiple times that he's pretty self-sufficient. I'm not a massive believer yet, but it's not like he's going up against many world-beaters here. I would put W3K next, since I think he's had some nice performances on the big stage in general; he's definitely the best of these players. After this...it gets tricky. I honestly might put Kushalos fourth. I just think he's a better player than everyone left in this pool. He obviously hasn't played the thinking gen as much as most of these people, but he has played it a bit, and I'm far less concerned about metagame knowledge in the variance madhouse than I am in other tiers anyway. I've been supporting Laurel for a while, so I guess he can be next by default. How on earth is Marshall Law so high? LOL What? WHAT YEAR IS THIS? ARE WE WE IN 2013? NO ONE BUYS HIM IN SPL FOR A REASON LOOL my god. At least for Laurel, I would say it's more because of the stigma against him. Is he really next on this list? He actually might be, which seems sacrilegious, but the other people on this list are pretty sketchy.

Emeral was at least in the last SPL, and he did like...okay? I suppose. I guess that's enough to take the next spot. After that, it's between Dave and SOMALIA. I guess I'd put SOMALIA next, just because he's better on the sheet and isn't crust. After this, it's kind of a meme. I guess SFG can be next just because he's randomly hyped for whatever reason and has the GOAT to support him, so that makes me at least somewhat confident he won't get blown out of the water. Kebab was in SPL, so there's that LOL So, I suppose I would rank these players in the following order:

1. Void
2. BIHI
3. We Three Kings
4. Kushalos
5. Laurel
6. Marshall.Law
7. Emeral
8. SOMALIA
9. Stone_Cold
10. SFG
11. Kebab mlml

The rest don't matter, really.

BW OU:

Did we really just rank Finch over Roro? LOOOOOOOOOL WHAT??????? This has to be factoring in motivation and tryhardery or something. Personally, I don't like factoring that stuff into these rankings, unless as a tiebreak. It makes things way too convoluted. So, those two can be first and second. This is where it gets interesting. I honestly might put Gama 3rd LOL He is a MASSIVE sheet warrior, and he's only had one negative tour in eons. He hasn't been amazing lately, but he's been decent. That's probably enough for 3rd, to me. This is really tricky, hmm. Raiza was bad in SPL, but he was unlucky. I'm still not really a believer, though. Insult was fire, but it's not like he's really proven outside of the newer generations. I'd put Caetano 4th, I think. He displayed some solid BW prowess this SPL, and that's honestly more than I can say about the rest of the people on this list. xray's another relatively solid player, but we've seen him struggle outside of ORAS. He showed that he was proficient in SS, but is he proficient in BW? I have a decent amount of faith here. shawyu's stock is lowered because he got benched for OBII. So. frisoeva's had some decent performances, I suppose; I don't really know how good he is at BW, though.

Eeveeto certainly is not good. Like, come on people. blargh is someone I've been bolding a lot lately, and he's definitely poised to do well in this tour. I have relatively high hopes here. Asuya used to be in SPL, and helped win me SPL VI. He's probably better than the rest of the people I haven't mentioned yet. I guess Vulpix at least displayed that he may be somewhat competent this SPL in SS...so I guess there's that. At least the rankers properly ranked Ace-11, a non-roudolf / Fear / Asta Greek player, last. Honestly, he might be better than whoever the hell Separation is, though. A Hero's Destiny is pretty sketchy too...you know, after that whole SPL incident? Overall, my rankings would look something like this:

1. McMeghan
2. Finchinator
----------------
3. Eternal Spirit
4. Caetano93
5. Insult
6. blarghlfarghl
7. xray
8. Raiza
9. frisoeva
10. shawyu 1313
11. Asuya
12. Vulpix03
13. Eeveeto
14. Ace-11
15. A Hero's Destiny
16. Separation

Managers:

I don't really have much to say here. This is really too subjective to judge. I would highly question PDC being in the top 3, though; his entire team basically whined about his activity last SPL. I find it very hard to believe that he's a top 3 manager in this tour, lol.

Teams:

I'm not going to go through and rank all the teams, since that wasn't the purpose of this exercise. I don't think any of the teams are super amazing; it was hard to really build an amazing team because of the absolutely trash player pool. If you want my general thoughts, I think that the best teams are, in some order, the Canalave Crobats / Mossdeep Meteorites [bolstered by BKC support] / Iki Town Igglybuffs.

Last edited:
RBY Ranking thoughts:
I was the column 5 ranker. I think the overall rankings are alright. Metal and Nails are clearly 1 and 2, Eb0la being a consensus #3 makes sense too. Ranshiin is ranked too high, but the field seems somewhat weak this year so lots of names lump together. The person ranking column 1 ranked Louna and The Quasar way too low at 13 and 14 respectively, both are pretty solid players. I think Narwhal is a bit of a dark horse and could have a good run, #8 seems a bit low for him too.

RE: Hyogafodex

Hyogafodex has been banned from the forums, and won't be able to be the assistant manager for the Sunyshore Shaymin anymore. The Sunyshore Shaymin have been able to promote one of their players to assistant manager, and have chosen Altina. He'll still be able to play.

RE: Exiline

Exiline has been banned from the forums, and won't be able to play in RoAPL VI anymore. The Poni Plains Ponyta have sold him back and picked up Frrf as a replacement.

kjdaas

RE: Louna

The Canaleve Crobats are selling back Louna for inactivity and ignoring all message from both of their managers over the last couple of weeks. They are allowed to pick up a new player from the original pool and have picked up Thiago Nunes.

Lutra

ROAPL 6 (Late) RBY Power Rankings

Power Rankers:
Alpha Male Psyduck (>80 RBY Monday Wins)
Diegolh (SPL IX RBY Starter)
ErPeris (RoAPL 4 RBY Starter)
Earthworm (SPL IX RBY Starter)
Lusch (#1 in final RBY OU Player Rankings)

Duo List

Lilycove Ludicolos: Nails (#2) & EB0LA (#3)
Shaymin lover and VGC boss Nails has performed very well in back-to-back SPLs playing RBY. He is partnering current RBY OU champion (Smogon and RoA), EB0LA, who has made solid progress since winning the 0th Winter Seasonal.

Sunyshore Shaymins: Ranshiin (#4) & The Quasar (#6)
Indigo Plateau 5 and RBY OU Olympic champion Ranshiin joins The Quasar's side of the force, the latter finishing runner-up in the latest Major League RoA and put a good showing in RBY last RoAPL.

Canalave Crobats: Louna (#5) & Christos21 (#7)
Recent RoA Room Champ Louna , who finished runner-up in the first of CALLOUS's RBY OU Qualifiers, teams up with RBY OU Master Tournament #56 Runner-up Christos. We are all expecting great things from Louna.

Mt. Moon Men: MetalGro$$ (#1) & pasy_g (#12)
RBY veteran MetalGro$$ topped this latest SPL in RBY with 7/9 match wins. He is accompanied by pasy_g, who doesn't seem to have much experience in RBY. pasy_g recently made it to the quaterfinals of CALLOUS's first RBY OU Qualifier.

Poni Plains Ponytas: SaDiSTiCNarwhal (#8) & Djokra (#9)
Runner-up of RBY OU Master Tournament #45 and returning RBY RoAPLer SaDiSTiCNarwhal, fights alongside Djokra, who made it to the top 6 of the RBY OU Summer Seasonal and was an RoA Room Champion not too long ago.

Mossdeep Meteorites: Mister Tim (#10) & Vileman (#11)
The RBY OU Season 6 champion, GC semi-finalist and tour night hosting machine, Mister Tim, is joined by Vileman, who has joined a few RBY tournaments over the years and did well in WCoP last year.

Aspertia Arcanines: rozes (#13) & Kingler12345 (#15)
SPL XI RBY starter rozes completes the Aspertia Arcanines RBY lineup with Kingler12345, who played RBY last WCoP. Any great success from this pair would definitely shake up the RBY player hierarchy.

Iki Igglybuffs: HANTSUKI (#14) & robjr (#16)
Super-veteran HANTSUKI, who's proven to be a very good manager/captain, performed decently in RBY in SPL IV & VI, and has allied with robjr, a seemingly new player to RBY with no perceptible results.

Indiviual List

1st: MetalGro$$
2nd: Nails
3rd: EB0LA
4th: Ranshiin
5th: Louna
6th: The Quasar
7th: Christos21
8th: SaDiSTiCNarwhal
9th: Djokra
10th: Mister Tim
11th: Vileman
12th: pasy_g
13th: rozes
14th: HANTSUKI
15th: Kingler12345
16th: robjr

Sorted from Highest to Lowest: Mean Ranking of Duo → Mean Ranking of Individual → Single Rankings of Individual

Written by Lutra

Lutra

RoAPL 6 Player Interview (RBY): HANTSUKI

Lutra: It's great to be joined by WCoP-winning captain and SPL-winning manager, HANTSUKI. HANTSUKI, you are playing RBY this RoAPL and you've played RBY in numerous team tours in the past, with good results, how did you get involved in RBY originally? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you were involved much with the RBY revival led by waterwizard and friends all the way back in 2009.

HANTSUKI: Huh, I played RBY since like 2006 tbh. I started playing competitive mons in 2005 on Netbattle (before it evolved to Netbattle Supremacy and before Shoddy even existed) and eventually I saw some friends playing RBY and decided to learn. Got the basics from them and played a bit but never really played in any big tournament.

But huh...I think it was in 2013's SPL that I got picked and my team didn't have an RBYer yet so I said "hey I know how to play it" and finally got to play it on the big stage. Earthworm was on my team and he gave me the team I used the entire tournament. Was a fun experience back then.

After that I started watching/practicing with Tiba, who I think is the best RBYer we ever had, and played in a few team tourneys afterwards. I think I was at my "top" in 2014~2015, when I played several team tourneys on PO and SPL VI.

Lutra: That's interesting. In this year's RoAPL RBY power rankings, you've been ranked pretty low (14th), does that and the fact lots of newer players don't know your achievements from 5+ years ago motivate you more to be successful in this? Also, what do you think about Rhydon being much more preferred than Golem, do you think it's something that will continue to switch back and forth depending on the metagame, or is it a realisation from being exposed enough to it to counteract a former bias against it of it lacking explosion?

HANTSUKI: I don't really mind about my record or anything anymore. I'm already too old at this game so I just try to have a good time. I just pick something that I feel like using and roll with it and hope for a good fight haha.

About Rhydon, I feel like the days of the good Lolem are over forever. Explosion is not that important when Reflect started being used and Para Spam became more common than the old strat of "wait till you freeze something" (usually the Chonsey). When you have more Reflect users, you'll prefer a mon that has more durability and Rhydon is better than Lolem on that aspect. The Para Spam part is important because you have many Stormies getting para'd on turn 1 nowadays and that makes Rhydon EQ's roll a BIG thing. Another thing is that Rhydon became a real late game cleaner for some matches, so you want the extra power for that and not boom to clean a game! Also Explosion was kinda of an emergency button against Tobybro, who is not as popular as it was in the past, so no reason to stick with Lolem.

Lutra: Tell us about Team Brazil in 2014, the pokemon one, did the Brazilian community make a stronger effort that year?

HANTSUKI: Hmmm, I wouldn't say the brazilian community was making an effort or anything. We kinda picked some guys who played with us in 2013's POWC and got good results and decided to keep them since we didn't really have a strong and unified community to scout more players. The most important thing that year was that we picked the new guys at the time (elodin, KratosMana and Destiny Device) and put them to play together with the veterans of the team, so we could build some sinergy. In that way, a brazilian team tour and POWC were important so we could get familiar with our team environment. Another important thing was that it was the first gen 6 WCoP, so it was the best moment for some unexperienced players to get good results and it's the best situation to take down the powerhouses (aka US East at the time). In an uncharted territory, even the best players are still struggling a bit because of the quite unstable metagame and possible innovations.

So we combined the new talents playing the new gen non-stop with our good veterans and managed to win the WCoP that year.

Lutra: What were your favourite moments in this year’s SPL that you won?

HANTSUKI: Firstly the auction was really fun. We had a great time in our call while bidding, joking and I complaining that I wanted to eat my pizza. After that I guess all the SPL was quite fun. We had a lot of people in our chat so we usually always had someone to talk and we had many memes going around. I'm prolly known for being a friendly manager and yeah, I like to have a friendly environment in my teams, so I always tried to make my players feel at "home". From serious theorymon talk and comment matches to random games with discord bots and funny emojis, we had a lot of fun.

But overall the best moments to me were the auction, week 4 against the Tyrants (because my players really wanted to beat them) and [e]specially the finals. We had a lot of hype on finals because the trophy was getting really closer. And to me was a good thing since I played many SPLs and when I made finals before I lost to a team that was ghosting and lucked us in some games (when ghosting was waaaay more common lmao). Guess the karma was on my side this year.

Even if I was already tired of many months of the tournament, in the end it was a great run and maybe I'll stick around for some more team tournaments like that.

Lutra: What tiers are you most interested in other than RBY OU?

HANTSUKI: SM OU is my favorite tier to play. I'm also keeping an eye on SS OU.

Lutra: I assume you are well into your 20s now, do you see yourself continuing to be a part of the community for years to come?

HANTSUKI: Probably yes. I still have fun playing and it's a hobby that doesn't require too much investment, so it's easy to sustain even with a busy schedule. Also, it's the only thing I play at a decent competitive level, so it would be boring to not have anything to compete on.

Lutra: What games do you play more casually?

HANTSUKI: Mostly JRPGs. My favorites are the Shin Megami Tensei franchise (like Persona) and Trails/Kiseki series (shoutouts to the Smogon's Trails Server). I also play tabletop RPGs (D&D 5e, GURPS etc).

Lutra: Do you read manga / watch anime? If so, what would you recommend?

HANTSUKI: Yeah, my nickname is the short for an anime name (Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora). Outside that and the mainstream animes, I reccomend Kara no Kyoukai (some anime movies in the type/moon setting), Yuru Yuri and Arakawa Under the Bridge (good comedies) and Hibike! Euphonium (nice slice of life). Also if you're into some old stuff, you should watch Rurouni Kenshin.

Lutra: Going back to Pokemon, what other achievements have you been proud of?

HANTSUKI: Hmmm I don't really think about personal achievements. I won some other team tours on the brazilian community and some minor stuff on Smogon, but that's it. After winning SPL as manager, I started thinking about managing on Snake as well, so if I win it I would have won all team tours as captain/manager. It would be a nice achiev, so maybe I'll look for it haha

Lutra: Thank you for your answers.

Lutra

ROAPL 6 GSC (Even Later) Power Rankings

Power Rankers:
Earthworm (SPL VII, VIII, X & XI GSC Starter)
FriendOfMrGolem120 (SPL XI GSC Starter)
kaori (RoAPL 3, 4 & 5 GSC Starter)
k3nan (SPL IX GSC Starter)
Real FV13 (RoAPL 2 & 5 GSC Starter)

Duo List

Poni Plains Ponytas: M Dragon (#1) & dice (#3)
ST17 Champion M Dragon played GSC in SPL VI with success and still knows his stuff. He teams up with younger veteran dice, who has gone 4-1 over the two last SPLs, 6-2 last RoAPL, and has gotten to the final of GSC Cup III.

Sunyshore Shaymins: Century Express (#4) & Alexander. (#8)
Century Express, who's picked up 6 GSC wins in 3 SPLs, and won GSC Championship 2018, partners Alexander., RBY legend and winner of the second OLT (ORAS). Alex is yet to pick up a large win streak in GSC. Could this be his year?

Lilycove Ludicolos: Mr.378 (#5) & Oibaf (#10)
Mr.E7e, I mean Mr.378, the Ubers community veteran, who famously opened with 5-0 in GSC in SPL VIII, battles with fellow RoA Tour Night elite, Oibaf, who achieved a respectable record last RoAPL.

Canalave Crobats: gorgie (#6) & lax (#9)
After netting a positive record in GSC in SPL XI, and having played it much in the early history of SPL, gorgie continues onto RoAPL. Alongside him is lax, a player more known for SM dominance, but who played GSC in POCL 2018.

Aspertia Arcanines: sulcata (#2) & Diophantine (#14)
3 time GSC SPL starter and winner of two GSC ladder weeks in RoALT, sulcata, is joined by PokéWembley boss Diophantine, who made it to the final of RoA Ladder Tournament III and has won a bunch of GSC night tours.

Iki Igglybuffs: Zokuru (#7) & TDK (#12)
Smogon Classic V Round of 16er Zokuru, who went 2-1 in GSC last RoAPL, has allied with TDK, who is known for their superior SM and ORAS OU skill and being runner-up in the BW Cup II finals. TDK lacks results in GSC however.

Mt. Moon Men: Raichy (#11) & Leo (#16)
Leomon, who's decent in SM OU, but not really known in older gens, accompanies veteran Raichuy, who's tier of choice has been GSC lately, going 4-2 in last WCoP, after a previous stint in RBY some years prior.

Mossdeep Meteorites: TSR (#13) & Welli0u (#15)
TSR, who despite topping GSC OU in Major League RoA 4, has had a rough, rough time playing GSC in the last 2 RoAPLs, lines up with Welli0u, an individual who is most recognized as being a prominent SMer.

Indiviual List

1st: M Dragon
2nd: sulcata
3rd: dice
4th: Century Express
5th: Mr.378
6th: gorgie
7th: Zokuru
8th: Alexander.
9th: lax
10th: Oibaf
11th: Raichy
12th: TDK
13th: TSR
14th: Diophantine
15th: Welli0u
16th: Leo

Sorted from Highest to Lowest: Mean Ranking of Duo → Mean Ranking of Individual → Single Rankings of Individual

Written by Lutra

Lutra

RoAPL 6 Player Interview (GSC): Diophantine

Lutra: Today, we are joined by the founder [fake news] of the PokéWembley Discord, which is a UK-based competitive Pokémon discord that provides a more British and less American culture. It also tries to boost the UK's chances beyond that of the home nations football/soccer sides in real life, by providing tournament opportunities to UK players. I just looked at the recent WCoPs, and I can safely say it's failing the latter miserably. Welcome Diophantine. Tell us a bit more about PokéWembley. What is its history?

Diophantine: Hey. PokeWembley was created by HJAD, not myself, shortly after the last WCoP. I just help him out with things alongside a few others. Prior to this, there wasn't much of a community for UK players, and we felt that this hindered our team in WCoP over the past couple of years. We host tournaments and meet-ups and use it to keep track of players' progress, but mostly we just chat online about whatever we feel like. I think we've grown a lot closer to each other as a result of it, as it's a good-natured community with a lot of common interests, even with those that don't have any interest in playing in WCoP. I feel pretty confident that our WCoP performance this year is going to be a lot better than last year.

Lutra: My mistake. Sorry HJAD. What tournaments have you run? Can you describe the formats? Also, what tournaments have you competed in as UK?

Diophantine: We have hosted our own team tournament (UKPL) and a swiss-style tournament for current gen OU. Mostly we just play a lot of friendlies with each other. PokeWembley is mostly just a fun server to chill in with similar sorts of people with an emphasis on Smogon tournaments. It's not a tournaments-heavy server. I have competed in WCoP, RoA Olympics, Pokemon Online World Cup, and World Cup of Pokemon Perfect with the team.

Lutra: You personally also hosted some tournaments on Smogon. Can you tell us about those?

Diophantine: I host an annual tournament called the Best Friends Tournament. It's a single elimination team tournament where you pair up with a friend in a team of two. Your team picks a main tier from the Smogon official tiers, and you play against other teams in a best of three. One of your pair will play your team's main tier, and your partner will play the other. A tiebreaker is decided by a battle of current gen OU. It's usually very popular, and last time I handed out a prize to the winners. The next one will be after World Cup. I have hosted other tournaments; usually these are just fun metagames to explore such as RS200, and some past gen lower tiers.

Lutra: RS200 is an interesting selection pool for ADV. Did you know that Pokémon Channel came out before Colosseum and FRLG (those three games having non-Hoenn Pokémon that triggered the national Pokédex) in the UK (Source: Bulbapedia)? I think this means RS201 was briefly a thing in the UK. To those who don't know, can you explain 200 and the metagame you experienced in it?

Diophantine: RS200 is essentially OU the moment Ruby and Sapphire were released. Because there were no tradebacks to previous generations, you are limited to the items and Pokemon that you can find in Ruby and Sapphire. There are also some moves that you can only get via FRLG/Emerald tutors, so they are banned too. Some Pokemon from ADV OU are still influential in RS200, like Skarmory, Magneton, Salamence, Swampert and Metagross, but there are a lot of viable options that don't see much play in ADV OU such as Dusclops, Weezing, Alakazam and Rhydon. The Spikes war is pretty centralising, and a lot of teams carry Skarmory and Magneton because of this. Starmie and other spinners are still viable, though. There are several dangerous setup sweepers like Gyarados and the aforementioned threats, but there are also quite a few creative ways to stop them. I find it fun because it makes me feel like I'm playing Sapphire - my first Pokemon game - all over again.

Lutra: Moving onto GSC, what do you most like about each gen 2 tier you play?

Diophantine: I play GSC OU, UU and NU. I started with UU, then moved onto OU, and then played NU. I've played each of them quite a lot, in pretty much every Smogon team tournament that has them. Generally speaking, I love the gen 2 sprite aesthetics. It sounds silly, but this is one of the reasons why I play it a lot more than any other generation. I think GSC OU might be one of the easiest tiers to get into, of all the Smogon tiers. This is probably due to smaller pool of viable Pokemon and similar team structures. There's also enough diversity so that the game never feels stale, but not too much so that games don't feel overly matchup reliant, which I feel USUM OU's biggest problem is. I feel like GSC OU is pretty intuitive/natural to me.

I decided to play GSC UU when I saw a tournament for it on the forums (I believe UU classic). After that, I played a lot of friendlies with Earthworm. Before this, I had only ever played SM OU (the current generation at the time). I was drawn to it because a lot of the viable Pokemon are ones that I personally liked: Blastoise, Nidoqueen, Ampharos, Scyther, Slowking, and many others. It is a pretty balanced tier, and is a nice break from GSC OU.

I like GSC NU because it is fresh. There were several bans lately, so right now the metagame is still developing quickly. It's fun to experiment with Pokemon I'd never dream of using in OU like Octillary, Primeape and Magmar. It is a pretty offensive metagame. I hope it's in the next NUPL. We kinda scared them off the tier with how bad it was before the bans haha.

I don't play GSC Ubers. It may be something to get into, as I do like the Ubers available in this generation, but I typically don't enjoy Ubers in any generation.

Lutra: Gen 2 isn’t the most popular gen right now. What do you think would be ideal for its growth?

Diophantine: I think that GSC's lack of popularity is down a few things. There are many misconceptions around the tier. Most people say "isn't it just stall and sleep talk spam?", so I can see why people wouldn't like it. Yes, games go on longer than your average USUM game, but stall isn't overbearingly powerful as it was in GSC history. It is more common, though. Watching stall vs stall in SPL as an outsider can be very off-putting. There are also very few resources for GSC in comparison to other generations. Communities for it are also a lot smaller than other generations too. I think maybe if it received more coverage on Youtube like Callous' channel does for ADV, or how Blunder/aim and co do for the current gen (and others that they play) then it might get a lot more popularity. BKC's channel features some GSC, so I think we may see more of this in the future. I've always thought about doing it myself, but I never got round to doing it. Maybe I will in the future.

Lutra: What things do you most want to achieve in Competitive Pokemon?

Diophantine: Easily a World Cup trophy. I know most people would prefer to win Classic, Tour or SPL, but I would want to contribute to the UK taking home the blue trophy more than anything else on this site. I often don't find enough time to play in Smogon Tour since I'm usually busy when the live tournaments are on. Same case for OLT. While I did make friends during SPL that I'm still friends with now (even letting Ezrael crash at my house when he needed to stay a night in London hahaha), those teammates will come and go, whereas I'll always be teaming up with 1 True Lycan, HJAD, Triangles, The Hallows, and so on. Furthermore, I meet up with the Londoners every now and then, and we speak with each other nearly every day thanks to PokeWembley, so I think we've become pretty good friends. HJAD and I even played in the same youth football league when we were kids! We're also the underdogs, so there's the fairytale element to it too.

Lutra: Do you think anything about GSC OU needs to change? What are your thoughts on Freeze and Sleep?

Diophantine: Nope. In terms of rulings, it's fine as it is. There's a debate on how long games should last before an automatic draw, but I don't really have an opinion on that. Maybe removing the turn cap and changing the time limit to actual real time. I haven't given it much thought though. The clauses should stay in effect. Freeze needs to be limited because of how stupidly broken it is. Sleep is manageable, as there are a lot of viable Sleep Talk users even without sleep in the tier. I wouldn't remove the clause though, as an unlucky Sleep Talk sequence could leave your team at the mercy of having everyone put to sleep without much counterplay.

Lutra: What hobbies do you have outside of mons?

Diophantine: Pokemon is the only video game I play, unless you count random older games that I play from time to time. I am a massive music fan, with an interest in several different genres. I play the guitar too. I'm a black belt in karate and I play football (soccer) at least twice a week. I used to play really competitively, was even in a pro youth team at one point, but now I just play for fun. I represented my university by playing for their futsal team. I'm starting to try out other sports like basketball and tennis too. I trade in the financial markets, though I haven't done that in a while. Got my coins at the start of the crash and haven't placed a trade since. As some people have guessed from my name, I'm a big fan of maths. I tutor people from undergrad to 10 year olds, and I often have fun solving olympiad and putnam type problems when I'm bored. I watch anime and read manga too. I kind of grew up on it because of my Japanese heritage.

Lutra: Interesting. Any anime or manga you want to suggest that is often overlooked?

Diophantine: Absolutely! While they are not overlooked by the general public, I feel like most anime fans don't watch the Ghibli films. If I remember correctly, three of these (Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited Away) are on IMDb's top 50 films list. These are probably the best three too.

I'm a huge fan of cerebral/psychological/gambling manga/anime. Liar Game is a manga that captivated me early on and had me glued. People often praise Death Note for the author's use of mind games as conflicts between characters, and I feel as though Liar Game is the pinnacle of that. One Outs (which I have made a post about in Smogon's anime thread), by the same author, is another example of this, and applies it to baseball of all things!

Monster is both an anime and a manga and it is a series that explores the morality of humanity. It's got a really interesting villain, and has a great plot. Uncomfortable subjects such as coercive human conditioning and the psychology of the sociopath, morality issues regarding the origin of evil and the value of human life, are horrifyingly, yet engagingly, discussed.

If you want a more lighthearted series, then I unironically recommend Beyblade and Beyblade G-Revolution. Sounds idiotic, but I am not kidding at all. I found myself watching old DVDs with my younger sister while babysitting her and found myself drawn in. Maybe it was nostalgia for the childhood game or the early 2000s pop punk soundtrack, but I found myself so invested in it hahaha. The premise sounds incredibly stupid, but similar to most sports anime, it's not the sports that is interesting, the selling point is the characters and how they develop and interact with one another. Some real life topics are explored like perceived betrayal, parental bonds and dealing with parents' divorce, competitiveness, childhood trauma and the importance of friendship. Watch it in English. It’s way more fun.

Lutra: Thanks very much for these great answers. Good luck in mons.

Diophantine: Sure, thanks :pray:

kjdaas

RE: snøfall vs. The Sprinkler

We have confirmation that during the game of snøfall vs The Sprinkler, snøfalls teammate byronthewellwell linked the sprinklers team (a private team but used by other people) to snøfall in their teamchat. According to a TD, any team that isn't publicly posted somewhere on the forum, is private, and linking those teams is considered leaking. Therefore, we will annul the results of the game and byronthewellwell will be given an unsportsmanlike behaviour infraction. He will not be tourbanned and not be removed from the tour, due to the leaking affecting the game not as much for these much harder measures to be necessary. Because snøfall told his opponent afterwards that the team was linked and he did not ask for the team at all, he will not face any punishments.

However, in the precedent of Znain vs Gondra in SPL 9 the game was called dead because the decision was made after the deadline. The td and the hosts all agreed that its different now because the decision was made before the deadline, so that the game can be replayed if possible. Therefore, we have asked the players to replay and snøfall won again.

Sorry for the confusion, there was a lot of discussions behind the scene especially regarding how literally we should interpret the global tournament rules and if we should be more lenient then in SPL (where this would have been punished much harder). We have decided to be a bit more lenient but also show that we don't want people to link importables at all (except if these are posted publicly as a rmts or are from some bazaar/teambuild workshop). Please check the tournament rules if what you are doing is allowed!

To clarify, if one were to make an importable of a "private" team from publicly available replays (which can also be shared), then one would be in violation of the rules? If this is the rule, then it seems like it should be changed. Is the point of this rule not to ensure that 3rd parties do not reveal information to opposing teams and that teams do not ghost their players?

There are extremely common GSC teams that've been shared and copied around from public replays, but as far as I know there is no "public" posting of these teams. Would I get in trouble for posting them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)