Rotom-W

Rotom-W
Electric/ Water
Levitate
50/ 65/107/105/107/ 86​

Hello again. I'm guessing by now all of you know that the Rotom formes have changed types. Of all of those type changes, I'll be focusing on the Rotom forme that will benefit the most: Rotom-W.

Lv1: Trick, Lv1: Astonish, Lv1: Thunder Wave, Lv1: ThunderShock, Lv1: Confuse Ray, Lv8: Uproar, Lv15: Double Team, Lv22: Shock Wave, Lv29: Ominous Wind, Lv36: Substitute, Lv43: Eleci Ball, Lv50: Evil Eye, Lv57: Charge, Lv64: Discharge

Learnable TMs: , TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM16 - Light Screen, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM19 - Telekinesis, TM21 - Frustration, TM24 - Thunderbolt, TM25 - Thunder, TM27 - Return, TM30 - Shadow Ball, TM32 - Double Team, TM33 - Reflect, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM46 - Thief, TM48 - Troll, TM57 - Charge Beam, TM61 - Will-O-Wisp, TM70 - Flash, TM72 - Volt Charge, TM73 - Thunder Wave, TM77 - Psych Up, TM85 - Dream Eater, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute

Let's see what he has to offer ~

• Rotom-W gains a lot defensively with a second water-typing. Rotom-W also has the Levitate ability that Lanturn wishes he had. Rotom-W can now take Heatran head on, as he can with Starmie, Suicune, Gyarados, Doryuuzu, and Shanderaa. Tyranitar can no longer beat you with Pursuit, meaning that you can hammer him with a now-STAB Hydro Pump. You do lose Explosion and Close Combat, but it's a rather small price to pay.
  • On the offensive side of the ball, Rotom-W is no longer forced to carry the rather weak Shadow Ball STAB. Hydro Pump from SpecsTom now hits harder than the extremely powerful LO Starmie. Rotom-W also gained two interesting Electric-type attacks in Volt Change and Eleci Ball. While Eleci Ball will likely se more use and effectiveness on the faster Rotom in a slower UU metagame. Volt Change, meanwhile, does not offer the power or the ability to hang around on the Choice Specs set, Volt Change could work to some effectiveness on a Choice Scarf set.

Some sets:

Spin Cycle
Choice Specs
Timid/Modest
6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe

-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt/Volt Change
-Hidden Power Ice
-Trick

Scarf Cycle
Choice Scarf
Timid

-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt/Volt Change/Eleci Ball
-Hidden Power Ice / Signal Beam
-Trick

Life Orb Wash
Life Orb
Timid

-Thunderbolt
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power Ice / Signal Beam
-Pain Split

Rain Dance with Soap
Leftovers/Life Orb
Timid

-Rain Dance
-Thunder
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power Ice

Hefty Machine
Leftovers
Bold
252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe

-Thunderbolt
-Hydro Pump
-Wil-o-Wisp
-Pain Split/Hidden Power Ice

Discuss.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
On the LO and Specs Set, You might wanna Max HP instead of Speed, as Rotom-W is pretty slow. (1 more base Speed than Heracross..)

Rotom-W can be the best of the Rotom-A forms in the 5th gen, it has a good coverage, powerful moves, and the Electric/Water combination gives it only 2 debilities (to Ground, that becomes to an inmunity because of levitate, and to Grass, but the more used attack of Grass is Grass Knot, and Rotom has only 0.3 kg. receiving only 20 BP of damage from it) and it have good resistances to Water, Fire, Steel and Ice types.

On the LO and Specs Set, You might wanna Max HP instead of Speed, as Rotom-W is pretty slow. (1 more base Speed than Heracross..)
No, not really. Heatran almost always runs max speed, and 77 speed is quite lower than 86. I don't think people understand how 86 base speed is actually VERY substantial in the metagame, and you want to take advantage of that as much as possible. Plus, Pain Split works well with less HP, and he's going for an offensive role not a defensive one.

Volt Change is fantastic on Rotom-W, because he has STAB Hydro Pump to knock around any Ground-types. Probably the best Rotom form, since it can handle a lot of threats in OU and deal back great damage.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Hmm. I am really liking the Rain Dance set. It has decent bulk and can use its STAB with devastating effect in the rain. Also, TrickScarf looks better than ever! ^_^ I would probably go with HP fire on that set to take care of that Grass/Steel type (and Abomasnow). They would otherwise wall it. Out of the rain, that is.

It lost its ability to spinblock, but with STAB Hydro Pump, it could hit Tyranitar quite hard even in Sandstorm.

The fact that it lost its ghost typing means Tyranitar is no longer a counter!

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
No, not really. Heatran almost always runs max speed, and 77 speed is quite lower than 86. I don't think people understand how 86 base speed is actually VERY substantial in the metagame, and you want to take advantage of that as much as possible. Plus, Pain Split works well with less HP, and he's going for an offensive role not a defensive one.

Volt Change is fantastic on Rotom-W, because he has STAB Hydro Pump to knock around any Ground-types. Probably the best Rotom form, since it can handle a lot of threats in OU and deal back great damage.
What does he outspeed with Max Speed other than Shanderra and Heatran?

Maxed speed Rotom outspeeds a lot of key things, including Heracross and Adamant Lucario.

I could see a support set running the nice combination of Thunderwave and Eleci ball to lower their speed and then hit them hard. Maybe Thunderwave/Eleci Ball/Hyrdopump/Will'o'Wisp for the double status?

Rotom-W definitely has the best typing of the new Rotom forms. Only one weakness, and it's to the relatively uncommon Grass, and a number of handy resists. It's possibly even a better counter to SD Scizor than the Plat version was, due to double-resisting Bullet Punch, but it's a worse counter to CB Scizor as it no longer resists U-Turn, and a much worse counter to SD Lucario, as it will take 100% even with max HP EVs from a +2 LO Extremespeed from Adamant Luke. Even at 252+ Defense and 252 HP, he will survive at 1 HP if he takes the absolute minimum. Additionally, versions that fail to outspeed Luke or mispredict on a switch-in can now be hit hard by Close Combat/Aura Sphere, and Nasty Plot Lucario can hit him hard with a +2 LO Vacuum Wave.

rotom-W lost its ability to spin block and its immunity to CC. ES and the resistance it had to scizor u-turn. on the other hand it won a extremely powerful hydro pump, lost its weakness to dark and ghost moves and now 4X resist scizor BP.

all in all i say rotom-W won more then it lost, and since its not pursuit bait anymore i am sure i can put him on my offensive team.

also, yes, specs/LO rotom should always run max speed, timid or modest is a different story. i personally gonna run timid for those random neutral 90/positive 85 speed pokes out there.

How about these set?

Swimmer @Swimming Goggles
Timid/Modest
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~Thunderbolt/Thunder
~Hydro Pump
~Hidden Power Fire/Ice
~Trick

or

Bulky Swimmer @Swimming Goggles
252 HP / 168 Def / 90 Spe (from above, lol)
Bold
~Thunderbolt/Thunder
~Hydro Pump
~Will-O-Wisp
~Trick

First set to attempt a sweep, second to cripple physical sweepers with either Will-O-Wisp or Trick.

EDIT: NEVERMIND, SWIMMING GOGGLES DO NOT EXIST.

How about these set?

Swimmer @Swimming Goggles
Timid/Modest
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~Thunderbolt/Thunder
~Hydro Pump
~Hidden Power Fire/Ice
~Trick

or

Bulky Swimmer @Swimming Goggles
252 HP / 168 Def / 90 Spe (from above, lol)
Bold
~Thunderbolt/Thunder
~Hydro Pump
~Will-O-Wisp
~Trick

First set to attempt a sweep, second to cripple physical sweepers with either Will-O-Wisp or Trick.
We aren´t sure about if Swimming Goggles item exists (and neither if it actually performs the function that many people think).

What does he outspeed with Max Speed other than Shanderra and Heatran?
Heatran, Shanderaa, Adamant Lucario, Dragonite, Gyarados, Suicune, Breloom, Kingdra, Mamoswine, Smeargle, Tyranitar, Tentacruel, Togekiss, and defensive base 100's. You said max HP, so yeah, Jolly Tyranitar outspeeds you. Shit, add to that Magnezone and a slew of other Pokemon as well.

Swimming Goggles was just speculation, nothing more.

EDIT: dammit ninja'd

Rotom-W is great this generation. Good defensive typing, awesome STAB, no longer fucked by stuff like Ttar...

I feel like this is theorymon but at this point, I think it's pretty obvious that our dearest politoed will be at least OU (not sure whether it will be banned in the future or not but that doesn't matter in this case...for now). With that in mind, I don't think rain dance will be particularly too useful for rotom-w.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Why run a Rain Dance set when you have Drizzle Politoed? Seems like a waste of Rotom-W, TBH.
Because Tyranitar and Ninetales will likely run rampant to stop Politoed's rain. Honestly, Politoed will be one of your opponent's main targets to kill. It never hurts to have a backup Rain Dancer if Politoed goes down.

this guy will be FIERCE in the rain. STAB 100% accurate thunder, 2x boosted hydro pump, a slew of resistances and immunities... scary.

Just a note, Rotom-W is now the best counter to Gyarados that exists, resisting both STABs, being immune to Earthquake, and sporting neutrality to Payback and Stone Edge thanks to its typing. Offensive teams will no doubt appreciate this (it also makes a good check to LO Starmie).

Really just one of the better water-type checks in general, as they can't hit it super-effectively with their Water/Ice/Electric coverage moves and fear a STAB Thunderbolt.

The thing is, Shadow Ball could work better than HP lce in some circumstances. Signal Beam too. Although OP probably is not going to edit seeing as he never edited according to record, but whatever.

A Dual Screen set is also lacking. With only one weakness and several major resistances (fire, ice, steel, ground), plus good defensive capabilities, a dual screener would be wonderful. (or ideal)

The extra HP IVs should be added into Special Defense to Troll Porygon Z. Rindo berry could be used on defensive sets, or a Chesto Berry on Resting w/o sleep talk set.

Please see this post, OP...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)