Rotom-W

Maybe not Signal Beam, but atleast Shadow Ball, since you DO get STAB on it. Water+Ghost is bad coverage.

I would love to use this thing on a rain Dance team too. It may not remain in OU, but it will be a real force to be reckoned wherever it is.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The best user of Volt Change in the game imo because a) he forces a lot of switches with that stellar typing and b) there isn't a Ground type alive that likes switching into this guy. Most Volt Absorb/Motor Drive Pokemon will stay the hell away too.

He also makes a fantastic counter to some big threats such as Metagross, Mamoswine and Heatran. He seems like an excellent defensive pivot and is a great counter to bulky waters (something every team needs). Too bad he gets so badly walled by Grass types.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
Please explain to me when Shadow Ball or Signal Beam are better that HP Ice.

Umm, to hit stuff like Gengar, Wobuffet, Azelf, Dusknoir, Desukan, Uxie, Alakazam, if your team on whole is weak to those

For Signal Beam, stuff like the aforementioned Psychics and Weavile, Celebii, Ludicolo, Abomasnow, harder as well.

I never said that these two are superior. There are just useful in certain Circumstances.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
Hydro Pump actually hits everything listed under Shadow Ball harder. Signal Beam could be circumstantially useful, but only against Celebi and a few other Grass types.

Yes, that's what I mean...

Oh, and Hydro Pump can still miss. Well that's minor, but you don't want a miss ruining your day.

Still, I never said that they are superior... HP Ice is generally the better choice in most circumstances.

Dark Pulse < Shadow Ball, so Dark Pulse isn't useful.

Oh and I realised; Lanturn completely walls a Rotom with HP Ice. Sazando and Mebujikija (spelling) compeletely walls a Rotom with Shadow Ball. Signal Beam Rotom provides perfect coverage i think. (Dialga and Giratina wall it, but who cares?)

I see Rotom-W being the most OU of all the rotom forms... just because it became second Swampert! actually It beats swampert because of its resistance to grass knot really because thats the most dominant grass move on non grass types.

It really gets better super better because of the typing... oh of only lanturn was as lucky! but oh well thats life.

Maybe not Signal Beam, but atleast Shadow Ball, since you DO get STAB on it. Water+Ghost is bad coverage.

I would love to use this thing on a rain Dance team too. It may not remain in OU, but it will be a real force to be reckoned wherever it is.

Why wont it remain OU?? it does not have enought power to go Uber so of course it stays in OU!

Lol me, forgot Rotom is Water/Electric.

I eat my words(nom nom nom) and agree with everyone else that Rotom-W will remain OU, but atleast it is not walled by TTar now. It is vulnerable to Knock Down+Eq though.

Yes, that's what I mean...

Oh, and Hydro Pump can still miss. Well that's minor, but you don't want a miss ruining your day.

Still, I never said that they are superior... HP Ice is generally the better choice in most circumstances.

Dark Pulse < Shadow Ball, so Dark Pulse isn't useful.

Oh and I realised; Lanturn completely walls a Rotom with HP Ice. Sazando and Mebujikija (spelling) compeletely walls a Rotom with Shadow Ball. Signal Beam Rotom provides perfect coverage i think. (Dialga and Giratina wall it, but who cares?)
Rotom-W walls Lanturn in return, unless it runs Toxic. I don't see the point in running Signal Beam JUST to hit an uncommon Pokemon softly... It does hit Celebi hard as shit, and it does more to Shaymin than HP Ice, but HP Ice is useful for OHKOing Salamence.

I'm not on Signal Beam's side, everyone. Look, I'll even point out that HP Ice and Signal Beam do the same damage to Shaymin, and other stuff like Sazando.

HP Ice is the best most of the time; Signal Beam and Shadow Ball may be better in few circumstances. (Like your team has an Ice Shard Poke or something)

Thunderbolt hits Salamence, Dragonite for neutral. Hydro Pump hits Garchomp, Flygon (who is almost non existent due to Randorosu) for neutral. Latias, Latios, Onokonosu, and Sazando are the dragons who need to be dealt with Coverage moves. There's ton of grass types. I'll list the main stuff. The Pures (Erufuun, Shaymin, etc.) are dealt with basically any coverage move. Roserade and Venusaur are only harmed by HP Ice. Breloom and Birijion (the new Grass Fighting Legend) are also only harmed by HP Ice.
Abomasnow, Ludicolo, and Celebii are weak to Signal Beam (Well, Ludicolo is hit by Thunderbolt anyways). As for Shadow Ball... Has slightly more base power than the other two (yes, without STAB), hits Dragons equally hard as Signal Beam except Sazando. Can't hit Mebujikija, Cacturne and Shiftry, but no one cares about them. Oh right, and Nattorei, which is a big minus for Shadow Ball. As for Parasect, Wormadam and Hahakurimo, no one cares either. Jumpluff, Tropius and Skymin is killed by Hidden Power Ice much more than the other two. Rotom-C doesn't matter. Torterra is badly hurt by Hidden Power Ice. Oh right, I forgot about those Egg/Coconut/Whatever things. But they don't matter, do they? (PS I know their names, just joking around)

I mean, HP Ice is useful, but not all the time. Still, most of the time.
HP Ice > Signal Beam > HP Dragon > HP Ground > Shadow Ball > Dark Pulse > HP Fighting > HP Flying
IMO. Other Hypothetical (almost useless) HPs listed.

Rotom-W even without Specs or that many Special Attack evs is still a huge offensive force because of the Electric + Water coverage and high base power of his attacks. Outside of grass types, you're really looking at Dragon types to take Rotom-W down, but popular Dragon choices such as Salamence and Garchomp get hit neutrally by one of the attacks and depending on the set, fear burn. Haxorus or the Lati twins wall the attacks, but Haxorus is a bit frail. Seeing all the of the Pokemon Rotom-W can reliably counter, and how good he is on offense, I'm thinking this guy stays a dominant threat.

I say change to this because a switching out move such a s U-turn or Volt change should not be the only stab move

Scarf Cycle
Choice Scarf
Timid
6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe

-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Change/Hidden Power Ice / Signal Beam
-Trick

I think Volt Change can replace Trick, giving it almost perfect 3-type coverage, and it has respectable bulk. You could run a 252 HP/252 SpAtk Specs set and it would have decent power and survivability, and Volt Change would let you get the advantage on things you'd normally cripple with Trick.

Rotom-w @ Choice Specs
104 HP/252 SpAtk/152 Spe
Modest / Levitate

Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
HP Ice/Signal Beam
Volt Change/Trick

Why wont it remain OU?? it does not have enought power to go Uber so of course it stays in OU!
He means it could go UU. Rotom seems like a solid poke this gen, but I have to say I like Rotom-H better than Rotom-W, it combined my two fave types with levitate so it doesnt have the 4X ground weakness. But the two have very different roles.

Rotom-W has proved to be VERY popular on Random Matchup, usually finding one on every other team, if not every team per playing session. I use one myself also, it works very well with its STAB's and is REALLY useful in alot of situations. This is the set I use, it may look odd but it works:

Rotom-W @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Timid
252SpA/252Spe/4HP
Levitate
~Thunder
~Hydro Pump
~Pain Split
~Will-o-Wisp

How I play it is, I use it with Zoroark so it convinces Ice/Grass types to stay in while I Flamethrower them, but when this gets into play, I try to lure out high-HP Pokes (Like Suicune) and Pain Split them when I reach low HP (My max HP is 135 or so at lv50, meaning Pain Split heals me completely and deals a lot of damage to high-HP Pokes) and I'm usually fast enough to do so. Thunder/Hydro Pump are both risky, I'm considering replacing Thunder with T-Bolt for a reliable attack when something has like 5 HP left, as Wisp/Pump/Thunder missing in a time like that is usually fatal for Rotom. I find this is a good "counter" to Starmie, as I can switch in, Pain Split, then Thunder the next turn for the KO.

ok this thing just comfortably took a +2 grass knot from what i assume was a standard infernape and ko'd back with hydro pump

light little fellow, which is a highly desirable trait in a bulky water, no?

Rotom-W has proved to be VERY popular on Random Matchup, usually finding one on every other team, if not every team per playing session. I use one myself also, it works very well with its STAB's and is REALLY useful in alot of situations. This is the set I use, it may look odd but it works:

Rotom-W @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Timid
252SpA/252Spe/4HP
Levitate
~Thunder
~Hydro Pump
~Pain Split
~Will-o-Wisp

How I play it is, I use it with Zoroark so it convinces Ice/Grass types to stay in while I Flamethrower them, but when this gets into play, I try to lure out high-HP Pokes (Like Suicune) and Pain Split them when I reach low HP (My max HP is 135 or so at lv50, meaning Pain Split heals me completely and deals a lot of damage to high-HP Pokes) and I'm usually fast enough to do so. Thunder/Hydro Pump are both risky, I'm considering replacing Thunder with T-Bolt for a reliable attack when something has like 5 HP left, as Wisp/Pump/Thunder missing in a time like that is usually fatal for Rotom. I find this is a good "counter" to Starmie, as I can switch in, Pain Split, then Thunder the next turn for the KO.
Pair it with Politoad and you are set!

@Hidden Power/Coverage move discussion: I found Ferrothorn to be the no.1 switch in to my Rotom-W, so why not HP[Fire]? As it is, I didn´t see any Mence around and Garchomp can´t comfortably switch into neutral Hydro Pumps all day.

This is assuming a kind of offensive build, but still.

I've seen a few Rotom-W who run
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Sunny Day
HP Fire

Good pivot against weather teams, and enjoys Nattorei

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)