Project RU Teambuilding Competition『Cycle 7: Rock-types! - Voting』

approved by phantom
op adapted from the last two RU Teambuilding Competitions

co-hosted with colonizer friend Pinboim3

gorgeous art by BlueberryBlanket

RU has been evolving a lot. With the tier shifts, it's not unusual for the metagame to turn upside down and make bad Pokémon viable or create new trends, what allows a lot of creative building and revamping teams with the builder's touch. That's where RU Teambuilding Competition comes in! Every week, there will be a competition to build the best or most creative team based around a Pokemon or core nominated, which the community will vote on. The winners will have their team submission immortalized in the hall of fame, and will have the chance to contribute their with own flavor to the RU metagame.

How it works:
  • The teambuilding theme Pokemon or core will be posted on Tuesday. Participants will have until the end of the day on Saturday to submit a team.
  • Voting will take place on Sunday and Monday. Anyone may vote for two teams once.
  • The winner will be announced and added to the hall of fame, and the other submissions will be added to the compendium as well.
Rules:
  • You must have the week's Pokemon or core featured on your team.
  • You may only submit one team per cycle.
  • You must provide an import of your team and a description. The description should have at least a paragraph and detail your reasoning for your Pokemon choice, notable moveset choices, and general team composition. Sprites are strongly encouraged, but not required (even though they make the post way cooler!).
  • While innovation is both welcome and encouraged, make sure your team is viable in the RU metagame.
  • Showcasing your team with replays is also really welcome.
  • Slashing moves is not recommended at all. Stick to one or two slashes at best.
  • Under no circumstances should you be rude or disparaging about anyone else's build.
  • Despite not being mandatory, commenting about your vote and the other teams submitted (constructively!) is really helpful to create discussion and help evolving the metagame.
Current Subject:

Cycle 7: Rock-types!

Last edited:
Hall Of Fame
Click on the sprites to be redirected to the teams!

Cycle 1: Sun!
Winners:

Sunny Room - Taskr

Standard Sun - Sickist

Other Builds

Cycle 2: Ghost-types!
Winners:

Decidueye Stall - frontloader13

Palossand Balance - TheWall

Other Builds

Cycle 3: Necrozma!
Winners:

CM Necrozma Offense - zizalith

Necrozma's First Impression - Katy

Other Builds

Cycle 4: Ribombee!
Winners:

Ribombee + OTR Kecleon Offense - eifo

QD Ribombee Bulky Offense - Loom

Other Builds

--x--

Leaderboards:

1st:
Taskr, Sickist, frontloader13, TheWall, zizalith, Katy, eifo, Loom

Last edited:
Welcome to RU Teambuilding! To start this project, let's tackle into a particular playstyle:

Cycle 1: Sun!
Despite Ninetales being a huge threat in the RU Metagame, it's Drought ability is more often than not just used for boosting it's own attacks. However, there are many options that can make great offensive partners for it. A special case is Venusaur, that can boost it's special attack to great levels and hit hard against most threats, while offering good defensive utility, such as on this RUWC replay. Victreebel can put great amounts of pressure and run both physical and special sets, while having a great recovery move in Strength Sap. There are many other Pokémon that can make use of sun support, such as Shiftry, Sawsbuck, and Leafeon, and also other Pokémon that run Moonlight and Synthesis, such as Cresselia and Florges benefit immensely from the added recovery. The added power to Fire-type moves can allow for interesting coverage options such as Fire Blast from Slowbro and Nidoqueen, while empowering greatly other coverage moves such as Roserade's Hidden Power Fire, and gives more breathing room for the likes of Rhyperior due to the weakened Water-type moves. With great options to be explored, what can we build with it?
Rules:
  • It's not needed to be full sun, but it must have a core of a Drought/Sunny Day user + one or more Pokémon that can benefit of it.
  • Trying different playstyles is highly encouraged. While Sun is usually ideal for offense builds, Bulky Offense, Balance, and even Stall can make good use of it!
Deadline: 20/02

Now, let's build!​

Last edited:
SUNNY ROOM

https://pokepast.es/a6afe591871994a6
Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin

Aromatisse @ Fairium Z
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic

Sunflora @ Life Orb
Ability: Solar Power
Quiet Nature
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Bronzong @ Iron Plate
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Cresselia @ Heat Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Lunar Dance
- Sunny Day
- Moonblast

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I wanted to try and make this team interesting and not the standard tales+venu sun, it's definitely bad but at least it's interesting :psyglad:. Started with Torkoal because it's the slowest auto sun setter and it can set rocks/spin okay. Next was zong because it seems pretty standard on TR teams and can actually be quite threatening. Sunflora is the star of the team that actually hits really hard under sun but it's movepool kinda sucks so it can be walled by shit like noivern. Aromatisse gives me a z-move user and a dark resist I guess. Cresselia fits really well as it can set TR and Sun and also Lunar Dance one of the sweepers. Lastly, Mega camerupt also fits this team really well because it can spam Sun boosted Eruptions under TR ideally and good luck really with that lol. Anyway, this isn't a serious team by any means so feel free not to vote for it but it's prob pretty fun to try on the ladder.​

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
Sunshine and Whimsy

160686 160685 160682 160684 160683 160687

Team:
Whimsy (Whimsicott) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Sunny Day
- Memento

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Heal Bell

Charizard @ Normalium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Celebrate
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Solar Beam

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 104 SpD / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Lunar Dance

Sawsbuck (Sawsbuck-Autumn) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Swords Dance

Pokepaste:
https://pokepast.es/566134a7d05a6af2
Description:
I've decided to go for Whimsicott and Torkoal as sunsetters; Whimsicott has Prankster which leads to a priority sun, U-Turn to support teammates going on the battlefield. It also packs the Momento priority to allow a mon to come in safer due to the fact Momento
lowers the opposings mon Attack and Special Attack.
Torkoal is a reliable sunsetter, since it bulky allows it to withstand a good chunk of moves coming at it, it also is able to set and remove rocks, which is very important for the team in general,
Lava Plume its STAB has a nice burn chance and is able to criple opposing teams.
Florges helps the team with its Defog, which is useful since I have Charizard on the team, which doesn't appreciate Rocks at all, due to its flying/fire dual type, Florges also supports the team with Clerics in a way of Belling status away.
Synthesis here is a good choice since u gain a lot recovery in the sun the same goes for Cresselia's Moonlight, it is physically defensive to take on pkmn like Zygarde 10% with its Ice Beam, Psychic dents holes in pkmn like Dragalge which could be a bit troublesome for the team.
Lunar Dance allows to bring in either Charizard or Sawsbuck safely and at Full.
Charizard is packed with Z-Celebrate which makes it a dangerous and very threatening mon to deal with, supported by its ability in Solar Power and all stats at +1 its not easy to revenge kill it.
Its moves are Fire Blast as one of the strongest STABs, its secondary STAB in Air Slash and the strong Solar Beam. You can go for Flamethrower instead, when you prefer accuracy over raw damage.
Last but not least Sawsbuck: Sawsbuck is a decently fast mon already w/o Chrolophyll, 95 Base Speed, but with acces to Chlrorphyll and Swords Dance it is an incredible good wallbreaker.
Horn Leech is able to give it recovery, Frustration as its other STAB and Jump Kick as coverage option.

I hope you have fun with that team, its not crazy good, but it should be fun to mess around with it on the ladder.

Last edited:

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

So main idea of the team was the Double Grass + torkoal thing, so I chose a different for Lilligant which allows her to either set-up on status and healing all way back with z-aroma or a strong bloom doom,as a second abuser I chose shay bc its incredible mon and has great wallbreaking potential,next on line i've put Arcanine and cress,Cress acting as a reliable check for many physical attackers and getting 75% from moonlights while arcanine abuses of the sun to boom out things with STAB LO flare blitz,as a last call i've added Mandi w/ uturn to have a reliable deffoger while also not losing a lot of momentum due to uturn

StarChef

formerly Jeffis

This a Ofensive(Very Ofensive) Team, Ninetales give to team more turns of sun( your opp generally imagine specs or Z move and when he imagine that sun will end, booom more 3 turns to win with Venu).
Venu dont need explanation, Emboar have a incredible boost in sun for your flare blitz, your opp will have some dificult to find a switch in for this.
Donphan is solid to defend your teammates and important to set your rocks(and remember that with sun water moves have your power decreased, this is cool for our Donp).
Ttrum works as a cleaner in end game, dance and be happy.
Mega Toise is a incredible mon in this tier, here i used a standard set.
Hope that you can have fun with this team

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Explosion
- Yawn

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpA / 80 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb / Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Defog

Uxie @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Spe
Impish Nature
- Psyshock
- U-turn / Yawn
- Knock Off
- Sunny Day

Salazzle @ Firium Z
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flame Charge
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass]

basically built this team to take advantage of lazzle's great matchup against offensive teams. flame charge + fire z lets it beat most offensive counterplay to lazzle in the tier, while not being dead weight vs bulkier teams bc of an extremely powerful inferno overdrive, which still hits hard as fuck under sun, and heavily dents stuff like mandi/cress/whatever. anyways it beats like every scarfer so its good, use it. went for shiftry>sawsbuck cause i didnt have the z slot open for sawsbucks breakneck blitz. also it has a great matchup vs balance and stuff, it hits way harder than i thought it would at +2. dark typing is good for stab and a nifty psychic immunity, which forces mindgames w scarf garde when paired w lazzle, which is otherwise a huge threat to all sun teams. torkoal is the obligatory sun setter, yawn over spin or tox cause its a bad spinner and tox damages too slowly for this type of hyper offense. forces switches and racks up rocks dmg. slowking + scarf flygon form a rlly good core to ward off opposing fires like lazzle, arcanine, and tales, and the mirror sun mu is p good too. 4 atks slowking lets u hit stuff like mandi and stoise which can be dangerous to break/switch in. flygon is weak as fuck but uturn is good so lol. finally uxie is the fighting switchin, backup sun setter, pivot, and item remover. good mon and also forms a double uturn core with flygon.

Last edited:

(click sprites for importable)

Basic Sun offense, very standard until you realize its MIXED Venusaur with EQ, which takes advantage of the mainly spdef Registeels, smacking it with a +2 Earthquake. Ninetails is obviously the sun setter, and can break alot of stuff being a Nasty Plot breaker on the team. Venusaur is usually the wincon and endgame cleaner. Also switches into Blastoise if needed (mon borked). Rhyperior gives us a pseudo fire check and Stealth Rocks, as well as having Toxic to cripple fat stuff like Milotic, Cresselia, and PG2. Flygon is our speed control/revenge killer, and has U-turn to gain momentum. Florges is one of our ways of controlling hazards, provides Heal Bell support, Threatens fightings for the team, and acts as a pseudo Blastoise check. Finally, Blastoise-Mega spins away more stuff just incase, is broken, the usual Blastoise things. Also gives us another pivot into Ninetails. Sorry if this build sucks, I haven't played this tier consistently since before Sharpedo was banned.​

We got some great offense submissions to play with in the Sun for this Cycle! Please, vote on your favorite team!!!

SUNNY ROOM

https://pokepast.es/a6afe591871994a6
Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin

Aromatisse @ Fairium Z
Ability: Aroma Veil
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic

Sunflora @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Bronzong @ Iron Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Cresselia @ Heat Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Lunar Dance
- Sunny Day
- Moonblast

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I wanted to try and make this team interesting and not the standard tales+venu sun, it's definitely bad but at least it's interesting :psyglad:. Started with Torkoal because it's the slowest auto sun setter and it can set rocks/spin okay. Next was zong because it seems pretty standard on TR teams and can actually be quite threatening. Sunflora is the star of the team that actually hits really hard under sun but it's movepool kinda sucks so it can be walled by shit like noivern. Aromatisse gives me a z-move user and a dark resist I guess. Cresselia fits really well as it can set TR and Sun and also Lunar Dance one of the sweepers. Lastly, Mega camerupt also fits this team really well because it can spam Sun boosted Eruptions under TR ideally and good luck really with that lol. Anyway, this isn't a serious team by any means so feel free not to vote for it but it's prob pretty fun to try on the ladder.​
Sunshine and Whimsy

View attachment 160686 View attachment 160685 View attachment 160682 View attachment 160684 View attachment 160683 View attachment 160687

Team:
Whimsy (Whimsicott) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Sunny Day
- Memento

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Heal Bell

Charizard @ Normalium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Celebrate
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Solar Beam

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 104 SpD / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Lunar Dance

Sawsbuck (Sawsbuck-Autumn) @ Life Orb
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Swords Dance

Pokepaste:
https://pokepast.es/566134a7d05a6af2
Description:
I've decided to go for Whimsicott and Torkoal as sunsetters; Whimsicott has Prankster which leads to a priority sun, U-Turn to support teammates going on the battlefield. It also packs the Momento priority to allow a mon to come in safer due to the fact Momento
lowers the opposings mon Attack and Special Attack.
Torkoal is a reliable sunsetter, since it bulky allows it to withstand a good chunk of moves coming at it, it also is able to set and remove rocks, which is very important for the team in general,
Lava Plume its STAB has a nice burn chance and is able to criple opposing teams.
Florges helps the team with its Defog, which is useful since I have Charizard on the team, which doesn't appreciate Rocks at all, due to its flying/fire dual type, Florges also supports the team with Clerics in a way of Belling status away.
Synthesis here is a good choice since u gain a lot recovery in the sun the same goes for Cresselia's Moonlight, it is physically defensive to take on pkmn like Zygarde 10% with its Ice Beam, Psychic dents holes in pkmn like Dragalge which could be a bit troublesome for the team.
Lunar Dance allows to bring in either Charizard or Sawsbuck safely and at Full.
Charizard is packed with Z-Celebrate which makes it a dangerous and very threatening mon to deal with, supported by its ability in Solar Power and all stats at +1 its not easy to revenge kill it.
Its moves are Fire Blast as one of the strongest STABs, its secondary STAB in Air Slash and the strong Solar Beam. You can go for Flamethrower instead, when you prefer accuracy over raw damage.
Last but not least Sawsbuck: Sawsbuck is a decently fast mon already w/o Chrolophyll, 95 Base Speed, but with acces to Chlrorphyll and Swords Dance it is an incredible good wallbreaker.
Horn Leech is able to give it recovery, Frustration as its other STAB and Jump Kick as coverage option.

I hope you have fun with that team, its not crazy good, but it should be fun to mess around with it on the ladder.

So main idea of the team was the Double Grass + torkoal thing, so I chose a different for Lilligant which allows her to either set-up on status and healing all way back with z-aroma or a strong bloom doom,as a second abuser I chose shay bc its incredible mon and has great wallbreaking potential,next on line i've put Arcanine and cress,Cress acting as a reliable check for many physical attackers and getting 75% from moonlights while arcanine abuses of the sun to boom out things with STAB LO flare blitz,as a last call i've added Mandi w/ uturn to have a reliable deffoger while also not losing a lot of momentum due to uturn

This a Ofensive(Very Ofensive) Team, Ninetales give to team more turns of sun( your opp generally imagine specs or Z move and when he imagine that sun will end, booom more 3 turns to win with Venu).
Venu dont need explanation, Emboar have a incredible boost in sun for your flare blitz, your opp will have some dificult to find a switch in for this.
Donphan is solid to defend your teammates and important to set your rocks(and remember that with sun water moves have your power decreased, this is cool for our Donp).
Ttrum works as a cleaner in end game, dance and be happy.
Mega Toise is a incredible mon in this tier, here i used a standard set.
Hope that you can have fun with this team

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Explosion
- Yawn

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpA / 80 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb / Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Defog

Uxie @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Spe
Impish Nature
- Psyshock
- U-turn / Yawn
- Knock Off
- Sunny Day

Salazzle @ Firium Z
Ability: Corrosion
Timid Nature
- Flame Charge
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass]

basically built this team to take advantage of lazzle's great matchup against offensive teams. flame charge + fire z lets it beat most offensive counterplay to lazzle in the tier, while not being dead weight vs bulkier teams bc of an extremely powerful inferno overdrive, which still hits hard as fuck under sun, and heavily dents stuff like mandi/cress/whatever. anyways it beats like every scarfer so its good, use it. went for shiftry>sawsbuck cause i didnt have the z slot open for sawsbucks breakneck blitz. also it has a great matchup vs balance and stuff, it hits way harder than i thought it would at +2. dark typing is good for stab and a nifty psychic immunity, which forces mindgames w scarf garde when paired w lazzle, which is otherwise a huge threat to all sun teams. torkoal is the obligatory sun setter, yawn over spin or tox cause its a bad spinner and tox damages too slowly for this type of hyper offense. forces switches and racks up rocks dmg. slowking + scarf flygon form a rlly good core to ward off opposing fires like lazzle, arcanine, and tales, and the mirror sun mu is p good too. 4 atks slowking lets u hit stuff like mandi and stoise which can be dangerous to break/switch in. flygon is weak as fuck but uturn is good so lol. finally uxie is the fighting switchin, backup sun setter, pivot, and item remover. good mon and also forms a double uturn core with flygon.

Basic Sun offense, very standard until you realize its MIXED Venusaur with EQ, which takes advantage of the mainly spdef Registeels, smacking it with a +2 Earthquake. Ninetails is obviously the sun setter, and can break alot of stuff being a Nasty Plot breaker on the team. Venusaur is usually the wincon and endgame cleaner. Also switches into Blastoise if needed (mon borked). Rhyperior gives us a pseudo fire check and Stealth Rocks, as well as having Toxic to cripple fat stuff like Milotic, Cresselia, and PG2. Flygon is our speed control/revenge killer, and has U-turn to gain momentum. Florges is one of our ways of controlling hazards, provides Heal Bell support, Threatens fightings for the team, and acts as a pseudo Blastoise check. Finally, Blastoise-Mega spins away more stuff just incase, is broken, the usual Blastoise things. Also gives us another pivot into Ninetails. Sorry if this build sucks, I haven't played this tier consistently since before Sharpedo was banned.​

There were some great submissions on this Cycle when it comes to offense builds. With Torkoal or Ninetales, i find it very interesting that a lot of Chlorophyll users got there in some way, even Sunflora! theres also some really cool ideas like Growth Lilligant, Z-Celebrate Charizard and even Flame Charge Salazzle! Taskr's team shows a good standard not only for Sun, but Trick Room teams as well, which can be even a framework to work with other Trick Room abusers, and Sunflora just adds extra points for being very cute and surprisingly powerful under Sun. Sunflora, Aromatisse and Mega Camerupt compliment each other really well, and Bronzong is a underrated threat under Trick Room. Katy's team has a nice offensive approach with Memento and Lunar Dance, which allows for dangerous setups for Charizard and Sawsbuck to wreck everything under the sun, and a very durable defensive spine due to increased recovery on Florges and Cresselia. Ampha's team has a nice Grass spam core that works really well, Lilligant and Shaymin can break each other checks to a point where one of them can clean the game even without Sun, and the durability given to Arcanine, Shaymin and Cresselia is great when facing bulkier builds. Jeffis focuses on some heavy wallbreaking power with NP Ninetales, Growth Z-Sludge Bomb Venusaur, and Choice Scarf Emboar, all of which are a nightmare under the Sun, and Tyrantrum is a great icing on the cake to finish it off and clean games, even though Choice Scarf Tyrantrum could be very appreciated as well. zizalith picked some interesting choices of Sun abusers on Flame Charge Salazzle and Swords Dance Shiftry, that can be a pain for offensive teams and allow for Flygon to clean later on. Pinch berry Uxie can be clutch in many situations and STABless Slowking is a cool twist that allow it to hit almost anything it wants and have a strong Fire Blast. Sickist has gone for a pretty standard approach, but techs such as Psyshock Ninetales and Earthquake Venusaur can be very useful to break its checks. The Fire-type coverage lacks a bit for a team with many options, but it seems really solid regardless!

Considerations given, please vote on your favorite squad and give some input on it if you feel like it. There were some very cool builds and we can for sure create some debate here.

Please, remember to vote by Saturday (23/02)!

Pinboim3

Rain days are the worst
With both getting 4 votes, the winners of this week are Taskr and Sickist. Congratulations for you and thanks to everyone who participated in this cycle.

This week's subject will be:

Cycle 2: Ghost-types!

This week's subject will be Ghost-types. Since the creation of the RU tier, on Gen 5, they had a major importance on a very offensive metagame. With hazard stack being so common and dangerous, Ghost-types were the only way to maintain your hazards on the field as they block Rapid Spin, the only way of hazard removal. In Gen 6 and Gen 7, with the introduction of Defog and Ghost-types being unable to beat the best spinner, Mega Blastoise, these Pokémon lost much of their relevance. Despite that, many Ghost-type still manage to shine with their particular offensive traits and characteristics. Mismagius and Hoopa are still dangerous threats, having great wallbreaking ability with Nasty Plot, the former being the most viable option in the metagame. Froslass is still very important and a good presence in HO, as a suicide lead due to her access to Spikes, Icy Wind and Destiny Bond and ability to beat some defoggers of the tier. Alolan Marowak is a good rocker in this metagame since it has a good offensive presence with its high attack boosted by Thick Club and is a very powerful Pokémon under Trick Room. Banette, even though it is falling in viability, still has a niche with the Prankster ability, abusing it with Taunt, Will-o-Wisp and Destiny Bond. On the defensive side, Jellicent and Palossand are still options that are worth mentioning. As you can see Ghost-types can be used in wide variety of teams, so I want to see a lot of diversity during this cycle.

Deadline: 28/02

Last edited:

This week's subject was a goldmine for me. While not listed, Cofagrigus is still a ghost (that arguably is better than Mega Banette) that is playable in the tier. I decided to go with Pseudo Trick room, and a rather unorthadox set, being Electrium Cofagrigus. It snipes the majority of darks at +2 (bar Umbreon but its fat anyways so). Next, I decided to add Curselax to help deal with Umbreon, as Clicking Toxic results in a facade to the face. Cofagrigus can also switch into the majority of fighting types and fighting coverage (bar Mega Blastoise and things with strong knock off.) Nidoqueen helps with Fightings once more, and provides Toxic Support to cripple Milotic, Mandibuzz, etc. It is also the team's rocker. Roserade helps pressure Milotic and Blastoise, and is the Virizion check on the build. Mandibuzz gives us a way to deal with stall more efficiently, as well as being our Hazard Control. Finally, Gardevoir is the speed control and helps vs Umbreon and can cripple walls with trick, as well as giving the team Healing Wish support. Overall, the team is annoyed by Blastoise a little, but it can be played around. Ninetails is also very annoying, but it also can be revenged and it's still annoyed by Trick Room as a whole. Overall, this team was really fun to build and I hope you all enjoy it!​

https://pokepast.es/d7628dd7721757b0

Decidueye is a fairly interesting mon with a pretty unique dual-typing which grants excellent dual STAB combination and key resistances to Ground, Grass, Electric and Water aswell as a Fighting immunity. I went Sub SD Grassium which is able to setup and break a fairly big amount of defensive mons such as Registeel, Milotic, Slowbro, and Cress. Grassium deals a fair amount of damage to both Umbreon and Pory2 and Jolly nature outspeeds modest M-Blastoise. CB Zydog takes advantage of Decidueye's breaking capabilities and remove Drapion and Nidoqueen. Rindo Slowbro+Curse Steelix glues the team together. Rindo berry lures in Virizion, Roserade and Shaymin and CurseLix 1v1 Umbreon, Mandibuzz and P2. Goodra Scarf is an underrated gem (probably cuz it has no analysis yet) which offers speed control and a switch-in to Roserade. Finally Florges can come in on Blastoise and offers hazard control. 24 Careful is a jump point where Boomburst's Swellow will almost never 2HKO with Rocks up.

Before adding Goodra I tested Toxicroak Scarf on this team so DD Gatr is not that big of a problem but I feel Goodra is the superior choice and Colbur Berry could be used on Slowbro anyway. Vaniluxxe and Aboma (specially SD) can break this team in half, but those mons are not that common and Goodra can take 1 Ice Shard from either of those. Anyway, it's a fun team to use in ladder and I hope you guys enjoy it!

Katy

Banned deucer.
Enter Jellicent!

PokePaste:
https://pokepast.es/863edc259dadfa8d

Importable:
Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Zygarde-10% @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance

Rotom-Mow @ Iapapa Berry
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 236 HP / 96 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Healing Wish

Arcanine @ Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Extreme Speed
- Will-O-Wisp

Description:
This team is built around jellicent a nice defensive mon with its Water/Ghost typing, the purpose of jellicent is to check Zygarde 10%, Mega-Blastoise and Bewear.
Jellicents well rounded Bulk allows it to survive at least 2 Choice Band boosted Thousand Arrows from opposing Zygarde 10% and packed with Will-O-Wisp it is able to cripple down the opposing Zygarde and the rest of the opponents team mainly the physical attackers.
The second Member of this Squad is Zygarde 10% with its strong Dragonium Z, after a DD boost it is faster than most if not all pkmn in the RU tier, Thousand Arrows is its
really good Main STAB, which also hits Bronzong and other mons with the ability Levitate, meanwhile Outrage is its other Main STAB and coupled with E-Speed it can also revenge kill with a +2 priority attack.
Rotom-Mow acts like the defogger on this team, it is also able to give the team momentum with Volt-Switch.
Metagross has the Item Shuca berry, which allows it to comfortably life a Thousand Arrows from Zygarde and also Earthquakes from other mons like Rhyperior and the likes.
It has Ice Punch and EQ as its coverage option, meanwhile I went for meteor Mash for its STAB, Meteor Mash also has a slight chance to give Metagross a +1 Att raise.
Next member on the squad is scarfed Gardevoir to have some kind of speed control. Gardevoir has Psyshock and Mblast as its STAB moves, meanwhile Shadow Ball acts somewhat as a lure for Metagross and Bronzong - it also hits Cresselia Super effective and opposing Gardevoirs as well.
Last but not least: Arcanine, it is CB arcanine with adamant nature to have the maximum dmg output it can get on its STAB in F-Blitz, it has the coverage options in Wilde Charge and also E-Speed, which it can profit from to revenge kill weakened pokemon with a +2 Priority.
It has Flash Fire so that team is able to switch into Ninetales and other Fire Types in the RU tier better.

Calcs:
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 166-196 (41.1 - 48.6%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Thousand Arrows vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Metagross: 147-174 (40.8 - 48.3%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Have fun with this Squad.

Last edited:
DECIDUEYE + MEGA AUDINO STALL

Pokepaste:
https://pokepast.es/8103242e9c68349f
Stall as an archetype is currently in an interesting place in the RU metagame. Ever since Gligar moved up to UU, stall was probably the playstyle that felt the impact the most compared to other offensive builds. Multiple experienced ru players told me that stall is almost a dying playstyle in RU. This got me thinking on unique ways of solving this problem. It was a coincidence that the theme for this cycle in the team building project was a Ghost type since I feel like Ghost is a pretty underrated typing which can often fill different holes in a team.

The mon that caught my eye was Decidueye partly because of its decent overall stats and good typing in Grass and Ghost. Normally Decidueye, when used in RU runs the usual SD + dual stab with a z-move set, however, I chose an unorthodox phys def trapping set. Spirit shackle is the obvious move choice allowing it to trap other mons. Since I was investing evs in phys def, I needed a move that could cripple and annoy attackers that could 2hko it and hence I chose feather dance (decreases opp attack by 2 stages if you forgot). This way I could play around physical attackers and eventually kill them with either toxic or spirit shackle. This provided very helpful in completely walling Virizion and checking Necrozma, a both of which are notable wallbreakers and pose threats to stall. Decidueye also has a great recovery option in Roost which set it apart it from Cofragigus and its ability to trap opponents appealed to me more than Palossand and Jellicent. If you notice Decidueye does actually answer similar (not the same) threats that Gligar could answer. Registeel was the clear choice for rocks and I opted for iron head over seismic toss since once the team was complete, mega abomasnow looked annoying to face. Thus the 96 speed ev's are meant to speed creep max speed adamant Mega Abomasnow. Goodra was an easy choice for any defensive team since it checked many special attackers in the tier such as salazzle and roserade. With 220+ spdef investment, Sludge bomb from Life Orb Roserade was not a guaranteed 4HKO. Mega Audino was the mega of choice since it was a good wish passer and cleric and suited the job better than florges on a stall team. Quagsire was the better option for an unaware mon since it provided an electric immunity which the team currently lacked. The standard curse set was used to shut down curse Snorlax or SD Bewear or mons that Decidueye couldn't trap. And finally, the final mon to round out this stall build was Mantine. Mantine was an essential pick since it provided a vital ground immunity (outside thousand arrows) which every team requires. Toxic was used in place over scald to punish people staying in with Mega Blastoise or with Ninetales in the Sun. Flyinium Z was picked over leftovers since it prevented the team from getting overwhelmed by fighting types.

If played carefully, this team addresses most threats in the tier and can play around them by stalling/trapping. Mega Blastoise cannot gain much momentum due to considerable counterplay with Mantine and Mega Audino. Raikou has the possibility of being annoying if allowed to set up multiple calm minds but otherwise just acts as a thorn in the side which can be dealt with. Machamp can be a problem but once again, can be played around with Audino and Mantine. Overall this team was a blast to build (even though it was stall), and I hope you guys enjoy this team!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)