Resource RU Viability Ranking: ORAS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feraligatr for S

Sheer Force released. With Swords Dance, Sheer Force, and Life Orb, it's amazing wallbreaker destroying practically everything in two hits having reasonable bulk (Volt Switch from Cobalion may 3HKO it, and Feraligatr doesn't get recoil from Life Orb). It also has priority in Aqua Jet.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 261-308 (58.7 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 248 HP / 76 Def Slowking: 559-658 (142.2 - 167.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 305-360 (84 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 120 HP / 136 Def Alomomola: 260-307 (51.8 - 61.2%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 361-429 (101.9 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 212-251 (69.7 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Feraligatr for S

Sheer Force released. With Swords Dance, Sheer Force, and Life Orb, it's amazing wallbreaker destroying practically everything in two hits having reasonable bulk (Volt Switch from Cobalion may 3HKO it, and Feraligatr doesn't get recoil from Life Orb). It also has priority in Aqua Jet.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 261-308 (58.7 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 248 HP / 76 Def Slowking: 559-658 (142.2 - 167.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 305-360 (84 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 120 HP / 136 Def Alomomola: 260-307 (51.8 - 61.2%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 361-429 (101.9 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 212-251 (69.7 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I dunno how you guys handle it in RU but usually I'd say lol calm the fuck down. In OU we usually wait a day or two before nominating a rank for something new -- basically to give it time to test the waters. You're literally advocating for something to go all the way from B+ to S either on theorymon or... what, 4-5 hours of testing at maximum?

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Nominating Tyrantrum for A+ rank (I was gonna nom it for S, but I'll be patient).

Tyrantrum is easily one of the most defining forces of the meta right now. This thing is ridiculously strong (STAB Head Smash coming off of base 121 Attack? Yes please) and has pretty insane coverage with Head Smash, Outrage, Superpower, and Earthquake. What even avoids getting 2HKOd by CB Tyrantrum lol.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Bronzong: 168-198 (49.7 - 58.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Are you kidding me right now.
It also has some other pretty good sets like Dragon Dance, Rock Polish, and Choice Scarf. Once Tyrantrum starts setting up, it's really hard to revenge kill.

252+ Atk Life Orb Hitmonlee Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 151-182 (49.3 - 59.4%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

That's basically the most you can expect to do with a priority move aside from Technitop's Mach Punch. Obviously, it's preferable to avoid setting up until threats like these are gone, but you get the point.

I think Tyrantrum is very comparable to Pangoro in their roles - they are extremely heavy hitting monsters that put massive strains on stall to the point of making these types of teams borderline unviable, yet also do well vs offense / balance thanks to their typing and overall bulk. And Tyrantrum is faster, which let's it successfully execute 2HKOs on walls its trying to break down when Pangoro can be outsped and KOd by stuff like creeping Golbat and Cresselia.

Sadly, Tyrantrum has really poor special bulk, which means it won't be taking resisted hits from special attackers that well. Choice Specs Jolteon 2HKOs with Thunderbolt and Choice Scarf Moltres has a really good chance to 2HKO with Hurricane, just to give a couple examples. Tyrantrum locked into Head Smash basically gives a free switch-in to Cobalion, which can be pretty annoying. Still, I feel like Tyrantrum's strengths heavily outweigh the negatives.

tl;dr Happy dino is ridiculously strong, has a variety of sets that it can pull off effectively, and it is one of, if not the most, threatening Pokemon in the tier.

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Nominating Tyrantrum for A+ rank (I was gonna nom it for S, but I'll be patient).

Tyrantrum is easily one of the most defining forces of the meta right now. This thing is ridiculously strong (STAB Head Smash coming off of base 121 Attack? Yes please) and has pretty insane coverage with Head Smash, Outrage, Superpower, and Earthquake. What even avoids getting 2HKOd by CB Tyrantrum lol.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Bronzong: 168-198 (49.7 - 58.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Are you kidding me right now.
It also has some other pretty good sets like Dragon Dance, Rock Polish, and Choice Scarf. Once Tyrantrum starts setting up, it's really hard to revenge kill.

252+ Atk Life Orb Hitmonlee Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 151-182 (49.3 - 59.4%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

That's basically the most you can expect to do with a priority move aside from Technitop's Mach Punch. Obviously, it's preferable to avoid setting up until threats like these are gone, but you get the point.

I think Tyrantrum is very comparable to Pangoro in their roles - they are extremely heavy hitting monsters that put massive strains on stall to the point of making these types of teams borderline unviable, yet also do well vs offense / balance thanks to their typing and overall bulk. And Tyrantrum is faster, which let's it successfully execute 2HKOs on walls its trying to break down when Pangoro can be outsped and KOd by stuff like creeping Golbat and Cresselia.

Sadly, Tyrantrum has really poor special bulk, which means it won't be taking resisted hits from special attackers that well. Choice Specs Jolteon 2HKOs with Thunderbolt and Choice Scarf Moltres has a really good chance to 2HKO with Hurricane, just to give a couple examples. Tyrantrum locked into Head Smash basically gives a free switch-in to Cobalion, which can be pretty annoying. Still, I feel like Tyrantrum's strengths heavily outweigh the negatives.

tl;dr Happy dino is ridiculously strong, has a variety of sets that it can pull off effectively, and it is one of, if not the most, threatening Pokemon in the tier.
I really agree to this I've you used Tyraintrum many times and the only pokemon that cants be 2 hit Kold by its Head Smash is Brongzong ( which has to hve Defence investment in ) even them Tyrantrum can run Crunch for it

Edit:Also this is my first post here so hi :3

Slowking for A-

Drop time for the AV King. Unfortunately with the metagame as it was, it didn't fit Slowking in a tier filled with Dark-Types and Pursuit trappers. It got even worse when Feraligatr and Tyrantrum started stomping around the tiers with new abilities. Everything has been extremely negative towards Psychic-types in general, with more people starting to move away from stall-teams into a more offensive meta in general. Not to mention, offensive is EXTREMELY popular in RU right now. It's niche is also parting ways as more people are switching to Lanturn to check Moltres and other special attackers such as Houndoom, Whimsicott, and Jolteon are becoming more popular. All of which crap on Slowking's parade. Suddenly those 4 coverage moves don't seem impressive when the majority of the tier can check you. Out of any psychic-type that could have been effected in the tier so far, outside of Delphox, Slowking took the biggest drop in it's niche to remain relevant in RU.

Slowking for A-

Drop time for the AV King. Unfortunately with the metagame as it was, it didn't fit Slowking in a tier filled with Dark-Types and Pursuit trappers. It got even worse when Feraligatr and Tyrantrum started stomping around the tiers with new abilities. Everything has been extremely negative towards Psychic-types in general, with more people starting to move away from stall-teams into a more offensive meta in general. Not to mention, offensive is EXTREMELY popular in RU right now. It's niche is also parting ways as more people are switching to Lanturn to check Moltres and other special attackers such as Houndoom, Whimsicott, and Jolteon are becoming more popular. All of which crap on Slowking's parade. Suddenly those 4 coverage moves don't seem impressive when the majority of the tier can check you. Out of any psychic-type that could have been effected in the tier so far, outside of Delphox, Slowking took the biggest drop in it's niche to remain relevant in RU.
I don't really agree with this. With Moltres and Pangoro likely getting banned, its a huge boon to Slowking. Instead of running shitty AV, it can finally run CM with little opportunity cost, which is arguably its best set. It's true that Dark-types are common, but this has always been the case for a long time now, and defensive King actually takes the least net Pursuit damage out of all Psychic-types thanks to Regenerator. While it gained new checks which you mentioned, the mons it checks itself in turn rose in popularity drastically, such as Mega Steelix, Emboar, Medicham, Mega Camerupt, SD Cobalion, Rhyperior, and Mega Glalie. It can definitely be taken advantage of in many ways, but the amount stuff it can deal with still makes it a solid glue and win con on balance/stall teams imo, and didn't really lose much since pre-oras. Also its scald is still as hard to switch into as ever.

phantom

Banned deucer.
I agree with the above. I'm of the opinion that AV is Slowking's worst set and it really only got as common as it was because of Moltres and some other miscellaneous special attackers. Boosting Slowking sets are the best ones imo, bulky CM/NP and offensive NP are all really underrated and very good and will be the most used once Moltres leaves the tier; Trick Room NP / 3 Atks is pretty good too. But yeah, let's try and take into account something's viability by looking at all viable sets, not just a single shitty one.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
AV Slowking is so mediocre, I don't know why people use that set on a serious team if you don't need it to counter Moltres. It's weak and lacks a way to boost, has no reliable means of recovery, zero utility outside of walling shit, Knock Off practically makes it a liability at times, and half of the Pokemon it can take on all enjoy Pursuit support which AV Slowking is complete bait for. AV hardly does anything amazing to Slowking other than giving it away to switch into broken bird, but even then, they can just U-turn out and go into something like Tomb or Skuntank and proceed to trap/weaken it to a point where two Hurricanes can 2HKO it on the switch.

As Kevun and Spirit mentioned, the banning of Moltres would only help Slowking by giving it more breathing room. Sure Slowking may drop a bit in usage because you no longer need to use it on every fucking team in order to not lose to Moltres when using offense, but now you can abuse Slowking's other fantastic sets without having to worry about using it simply as a dedicated switch-in. Its offensive boosting sets are very devastating and can rip through offensive and balance teams when givin the right support, while OTR is a really fun set that makes for a great cleaner. It defensive sets are still cool, but now it can afford to run a more physically defensive spread to take on shit like Scarf Emboar, Mega Steelix, Mega Glalie, and Cobalion better, instead of worrying about being 2HKOed by LO Tres.

King is definitely not an A- Pokemon in the current meta, nor will it be any lower in a meta lacking Tres. It's still one of the best glue Pokemon in the tier, and even with Pokemon such as Tomb, Drapion, and Durant rising it viability, Slowking still remains one of the most solid Pokemon in the meta. Hell, I'd say its viability might rise a lot considering that if Moltres is banned, Cobalion easily becomes 2x more useful, and Slowking walls the living fuck out of it.

Also yeah Tyrantrum is probably A+ material at the moment. It's an amazing wallbreaker and SR setter, as well as a dangerous sweeper. What it lacks in Speed and special bulk it excels in nuking the ever living fuck out of everything with a 150 BP STAB Rock move that 2HKOs practically everything that resists it, while its decent coverage options cover everything else. It just has such an amazing matchup against so many different types of common team cores at the moment, and it's just insanely hard to deal with even with proper preperation.

Last edited:
Typhlosion from Unranked to C+

With the possible banning of Moltres and its new ability Flash Fire, Typhlosion can, I belive, make a case to be at least usable in RU. As I said before, Typhlosion's HA was released the other day and along with Eruption, Typhlosion gains a small niche over the other fire-types in the tier and gives it the ability to become a powerful wallbreaker with Choice Specs. I mention the banning of Moltres as I believe that may encourage the rise of Pokemon such as Amoongus, Tangrowth and Cobalion for example, all which Typhlosion destroys. 100 base speed, whilst not being the best, allows it to outspeed most of the tier and get off a massive Eruption hit without losing HP.

I would place it higher but I feel it is outclassed by other fire-types, Delphox, which lies at B rank and Houndoom, which is A-. Firstly, as I just stated, it is outclassed by other fire types for three reasons: stats, typing and movepool. Although they fit different roles, those reasons mean that Typhlosion is not the premier fire type in the tier and therefore it shouldn't be ranked higher. Secondly, there are a number of Mons that resist Eruption and therefore beat it as Typhlosion's limited movepool on the special side means it can't hit them with enough power to kill them such as Rhyperior and bulky water-types. Lastly, Typhlosion can only really run Choice Specs as an item. Scarf means it lacks power to kill things, Life Orb defeats the purpose of Eruption and its Physical Attack stat is not good enough to run it with a Choice Band, despite it having a solid Physical movepool.

Typhlosion from Unranked to C+

With the possible banning of Moltres and its new ability Flash Fire, Typhlosion can, I belive, make a case to be at least usable in RU. As I said before, Typhlosion's HA was released the other day and along with Eruption, Typhlosion gains a small niche over the other fire-types in the tier and gives it the ability to become a powerful wallbreaker with Choice Specs. I mention the banning of Moltres as I believe that may encourage the rise of Pokemon such as Amoongus, Tangrowth and Cobalion for example, all which Typhlosion destroys. 100 base speed, whilst not being the best, allows it to outspeed most of the tier and get off a massive Eruption hit without losing HP.

I would place it higher but I feel it is outclassed by other fire-types, Delphox, which lies at B rank and Houndoom, which is A-. Firstly, as I just stated, it is outclassed by other fire types for three reasons: stats, typing and movepool. Although they fit different roles, those reasons mean that Typhlosion is not the premier fire type in the tier and therefore it shouldn't be ranked higher. Secondly, there are a number of Mons that resist Eruption and therefore beat it as Typhlosion's limited movepool on the special side means it can't hit them with enough power to kill them such as Rhyperior and bulky water-types. Lastly, Typhlosion can only really run Choice Specs as an item. Scarf means it lacks power to kill things, Life Orb defeats the purpose of Eruption and its Physical Attack stat is not good enough to run it with a Choice Band, despite it having a solid Physical movepool.
Well, the thing is, Typhlosion wasn't viable to begin with, and Flash Fire is almost as situational as Blaze. You know which pokemon has Flash Fire & more use than Typhlosion? Houndoom, you know what's a better Choice user overall? Delphox.

Leave Typhlosion unranked

Medicham for A rank

At first i thought medicham was only B+ ranked due to it's lack of knock off being a pain in the ass but damn after testing it out some more I discovered this thing is at least worthy of an A rank. Pretty much if you're name is not cresselia or uxie have fun switching in to this thing. The scarf set for me often puts in a ton of work and tricking sub cm cress is really great as diffusing it means it's a hell of a lot easier. The life orb sets are even scarier as nothing bar granbull aromatisse uxie and cress enjoy switching into it. Plus it has sub pass for momentum which is super neat.

Well, the thing is, Typhlosion wasn't viable to begin with, and Flash Fire is almost as situational as Blaze. You know which pokemon has Flash Fire & more use than Typhlosion? Houndoom, you know what's a better Choice user overall? Delphox.

Leave Typhlosion unranked
You're telling me a pokemon with a 150 power move with decent Special Attack and Speed has no viability whatsoever? I never said Typhlosion was better than Houndoom or Delphox due to its limited movepool, worse stats and lack of a second stab but its small niche, in my opinion, means that it is at least viable, even if it is down it the realms of C and D rank.

Flash Fire isn't really useful for Typhlosion and in fact Blaze is generally preferred; the reasons why have been discussed but if you're wanting to rank Typhlosion you can't really use Flash Fire as a reason.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Again, Typhlosion isn't a bad Pokemon necessarily, but the fact of the matter is that there is still no real reason to use it over Delphox or Houndoom whatsoever. A STAB Eruption might sound good on paper, but with Typhlosion being severely weak to hazards and priority, it's really hard to keep Typhlosion at full HP throughout the match, which makes it hard for it to use Eruption at full blast. It has decent Special Attack and Speed, yes, but so do Delphox and Houndoom. It just doesn't do very much that Delphox can't. Like, Delphox has a Mach Punch resistance and Psyshock and Grass Knot to hit things like Druddigon and Rhyperior harder than Typhlosion ever could. Houndoom also has Dark Pulse and stuff to hit the common Slowking as well as Nasty Plot so it doesn't even need a Choice item. Typhlosion just doesn't do much that they can't and has a lackluster movepool.

I mean, yeah, Typhlosion can be effective, but there isn't a good reason to use it over Delphox, Houndoom, or even Emboar. I mean, for something to qualify for the C or D Ranks, they need to have a good niche that makes them worth using on a team over another Pokemon, and Typhlosion doesn't have that.

Medicham for A rank

At first i thought medicham was only B+ ranked due to it's lack of knock off being a pain in the ass but damn after testing it out some more I discovered this thing is at least worthy of an A rank. Pretty much if you're name is not cresselia or uxie have fun switching in to this thing. The scarf set for me often puts in a ton of work and tricking sub cm cress is really great as diffusing it means it's a hell of a lot easier. The life orb sets are even scarier as nothing bar granbull aromatisse uxie and cress enjoy switching into it. Plus it has sub pass for momentum which is super neat.
Doublade is the bane of Medicham's existence, even considering Fire Punch which isn't a 2HKO unless Band.
Even with versatility, Medicham remains very frail, fearing any sort of trapping, and isn't that fast, A Rank is way too high.

Again, Typhlosion isn't a bad Pokemon necessarily, but the fact of the matter is that there is still no real reason to use it over Delphox or Houndoom whatsoever. A STAB Eruption might sound good on paper, but with Typhlosion being severely weak to hazards and priority, it's really hard to keep Typhlosion at full HP throughout the match, which makes it hard for it to use Eruption at full blast. It has decent Special Attack and Speed, yes, but so do Delphox and Houndoom. It just doesn't do very much that Delphox can't. Like, Delphox has a Mach Punch resistance and Psyshock and Grass Knot to hit things like Druddigon and Rhyperior harder than Typhlosion ever could. Houndoom also has Dark Pulse and stuff to hit the common Slowking as well as Nasty Plot so it doesn't even need a Choice item. Typhlosion just doesn't do much that they can't and has a lackluster movepool.

I mean, yeah, Typhlosion can be effective, but there isn't a good reason to use it over Delphox, Houndoom, or even Emboar. I mean, for something to qualify for the C or D Ranks, they need to have a good niche that makes them worth using on a team over another Pokemon, and Typhlosion doesn't have that.
Both things you said about Typhlosion (about it being weak to hazards and priority) apply to both Houndoom and Delphox. Houndoom gets stung by Mach Punch which nearly every Fighting Type in the tier has and while Delphox resists Mach Punch, it gets hurt by Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak. In fact, the only priority weakness Typhlosion has is to Water Shuriken which only Greninja's family can learn. Also, Typhlosion can learn Focus Blast which allows it to OHKO Tyrantrum (which neither of the other can) and severly dent Rhyperior and such like. I understand that Delphox gets Grass Knot and therefore can OHKO Rhyperior but Houndoom only gets HP Grass to beat them which everything can learn. As for using Emboar over Typhlosion, it would be a waste of Emboar's Physical Movepool and Reckless ability to use it on its Special Attack meaning that point was invalid. Lasty, replying to Kurona's point, Blaze would defeat the purpose of Eruption on Typhlosion.

The only common Mach Puncher is Hitmonlee, which can't switch into Houndoom. Emboar, Cobalion, Pangoro, and Virizion all don't have Mach Punch so I don't know what you mean by most fighting types in the tier has Mach Punch when only one thing common gets it. And Typhlosion is weak to priority as its main niche is Eruption which gets weaker and weaker each hit of priority it takes. And Houndoom can run Nasty Plot, which at +2 OHKOs Tyrantrum, and after some residual damage or SR and 1 Spike, it can OHKO with Dark Pulse. Plus Delphox can OHKO Tyrantrum too with specs Psychic. And Blaze means you have a powerful ass Fire Blast when weakened to below 25%, so not really worthless.

Doublade is the bane of Medicham's existence, even considering Fire Punch which isn't a 2HKO unless Band.
Even with versatility, Medicham remains very frail, fearing any sort of trapping, and isn't that fast, A Rank is way too high.
More and more people are learning to run Foresight on Medicham, allowing it to beat it as Doublade switches in.
And what trapping? Pursuit Trappers don't exactly threaten it, and Dugtrio is OHKOed by the scarf set. Sure, it isn't fast and is frail, but it works well, and imo should raise to A-.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Blaze doesn't defeat the point of Eruption ?.? The reason Typhlosion is so scary in NU is because it has Eruption at full health and then Blaze Fire Blast at low health (which is actually stronger than a full health Eruption, which is why Flash Fire isn't a better ability).

You don't really give any points for why Typhlosion should be ranked at all, what does it have over other Fire-types in RU? You are listing being mono Fire-type as a reason to use Typhlosion over things such as Delphox and Houndoom, which is actually a reason why Typhlosion isn't ranked. Not having a secondary STAB actually hurts Typhlosions versatility and limits it to spamming Fire-type moves. Delphox and Houndoom are both incredibly scary because they can spam Psychic and Dark-type moves respectively against their counters. On top of this both Houndoom and Delphox can run multiple sets effectively while Typhlosion can only really run scarf / specs.

You are also listing Typhlosion's coverage as a reason to use it, saying that Focus Blast lets it get past certain Pokemon. Scarf Focus Blast is incredibly weak and inaccurate and anything other than a Fire move is just really quite meh on Typhlosion. On top of this Typhlosion has really meh coverage compared to other Fire-types which makes it even more one dimensional than the other ones.

--

From the reasons you listed I really can't see why Typhlosion should be listed at all. Other than Eruption does Typhlosion full fill any niche in the RU meta that another Pokemon doesn't fill better? If you can't answer that question than Typhlosion shouldn't be ranked.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Both things you said about Typhlosion (about it being weak to hazards and priority) apply to both Houndoom and Delphox. Houndoom gets stung by Mach Punch which nearly every Fighting Type in the tier has and while Delphox resists Mach Punch, it gets hurt by Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak. In fact, the only priority weakness Typhlosion has is to Water Shuriken which only Greninja's family can learn. Also, Typhlosion can learn Focus Blast which allows it to OHKO Tyrantrum (which neither of the other can) and severly dent Rhyperior and such like. I understand that Delphox gets Grass Knot and therefore can OHKO Rhyperior but Houndoom only gets HP Grass to beat them which everything can learn. As for using Emboar over Typhlosion, it would be a waste of Emboar's Physical Movepool nd Reckless ability to use it on its Special Attack meaning that point was invalid. Lasty, replying to Kurona's point, Blaze would defeat the purpose of Eruption on Typhlosion.
You're like completely missing the point of what everyone else is trying to say. No one is saying Typhlosion is bad per say, but there's just seriously very little reason to use it over the other Fire-types found in the tier. Typhlosion's biggest selling point is its Specs Eruption, which is heavily dependent on keeping Typhlosion's health near 100%. After just one round of SR, Fire Blast is almost just as powerful. Typhlosion also has a shitty movepool outside of Focus Blast which half the time it wont be using because it would rather just spam Eruption. Other Fire-types such as Delphox, Doom, and even Mixed Emboar have ways to muscle through their common switch-ins such as Slowking, Rhyperior, and Gastrodon. Delphox and Doom also have the advantage of being able to boost with Calm Mind and Nasty Plot respectively. Flash Fire does nothing to make Typhlosion better because it can't switch into any of the Fire-types safely anyway, and a Blaze Fire Blast almost does just as much as an Eruption, so at least it gives Typhlosion a second chance to wreck havoc once it's weakened. Also while Typhlosion isn't necessarily weak to Mach Punch and Sucker Punch, it's still heavily crippled by them because they do enough chip damage to Typhlosion where Eruption will be significantly weakened because of taking that extra damage, which forces you to play even safer then you want to with Typhlosion.

So is Typlosion a bad Pokemon? No. Is it worth using over all the other Fire-types in RU? Of course not, to the point where I really don't think it even deserves a rank. It's just so subpar in the current meta, and has like zero incentives over the other Fire-types in the tier.

EDIT: Ninjad by like 3 people lmao

I'm gonna go home and cry now :'(

No but seriously I do see the points all of you are making. I obviously don't have enough experience in this meta to be making assumptions about a pokemon's viability. Sorry for wasting your time.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm gonna go home and cry now :'(

No but seriously I do see the points all of you are making. I obviously don't have enough experience in this meta to be making assumptions about a pokemon's viability. Sorry for wasting your time.
Don't take it so hard, you shouldn't get down because other people disagreed with your thoughts. Thats the whole point of this thread, to discuss a Pokemon's viability and not everyone is going to agree with your opinion.

If you are a bit discouraged lurk for a while until you feel more comfortable posting, otherwise continue to post your ideas and thoughts. You can also join the RU room on PS or irc RU chat to further discuss your thoughts on RU Pokemon as well as to ask for help from people there if you are uncertain on things.

Don't take it so hard, you shouldn't get down because other people disagreed with your thoughts. Thats the whole point of this thread, to discuss a Pokemon's viability and not everyone is going to agree with your opinion.

If you are a bit discouraged lurk for a while until you feel more comfortable posting, otherwise continue to post your ideas and thoughts. You can also join the RU room on PS or irc RU chat to further discuss your thoughts on RU Pokemon as well as to ask for help from people there if you are uncertain on things.
K thanks

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I want to to support any posts in favour of Steelix > S.

Its unbelievable physical bulk, great typing, great attack and high powered STABs make it an excellent tank and its ability to run a few sets makes it more difficult to deal with. Its offensive stealth rock set fills a number of roles that are really important for ru teams at the moment. The most obvious is Rock setter but it deals with cm psychics really nicely as well as being an excellent catch all physical tank without any def investment needed, switching into great mons like tyrantrum, durant, drapion, doublade, skuntank and a few others with no trouble at all. Unlike regular steelix it can also take special hits fairly well letting you beat things like jolteonand non focus blast meloetta. It beats all the common defoggers easily allowing you to keep rocks up with no trouble. Its third move slot can be used to plug any holes you may have in your team. For example, it can run roar if you have no way to deal with some of the set up sweepers in the tier. Toxic can be used if you need to apply some passive pressure. Taunt, stone edge and explosion can also be used. Apart from all this, it's worth mentioning that it hits really fuckin hard. Two STABs of at least 100 power coming off 383 attack is pretty excellent - not easy to set up on or switch in to.

The curse set is also really really good. With one curse, the most powerful phyiscal attack in the tier (which happens to be super effective) is unable to OHKO.
252+ Atk Life Orb Reckless Hitmonlee High Jump Kick vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 218-260 (61.5 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
With max spdef, it can tank pretty much any neutral hit well and because of its naturally high attack stat, it doesn't need many boosts to ohko things back.

This mon is great, pls support

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)