move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Toxic Spikes / Shadow Claw
item: Leftovers
ability: Wandering Spirit
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Although it is very passive, lacks recovery, and has poor special bulk, Runerigus serves as a niche entry hazard setter and check to common physical attackers. It packs excellent physical bulk, access to Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes, and a Ghost typing that allows it to spinblock and check Fighting-types. However, its common weaknesses, poor special bulk, and lack of recovery inhibit its ability to consistently perform its roles. Not only is Rapid Spin rare, making spinblocking niche at best, Runerigus is also unable to seriously threaten any defogger in RU; Cramorant, Charizard, and Rotom-C all are immune to Earthquake , don't fear Shadow Claw, and can hit Runerigus for significant damage. Additionally, Runerigus faces stiff competition from common Pokemon such as Steelix, Mudsdale, and Rhydon, which perform nearly the same role with better bulk and typing. Nevertheless, Runerigus's unique attributes can be a valuable addition to a team. Earthquake allows Runerigus to deal damage to the physical attackers it checks, scoring 3HKOs on Bewear and Silvally. Will-O-Wisp lets Runerigus cripple physical attackers that try to break through it, such as Copperajah and Gallade. The last move can be either Toxic Spikes or Shadow Claw. Toxic Spikes allows Runerigus to spread status throughout a game and can be a valuable addition to a team. Shadow Claw, while somewhat lacking in damage output, makes sure Runerigus isn't completely helpless against airborne pokemon such as Charizard, Weezing, and Vikavolt. The given EVs maximize Runerigus's physical bulk, helping it check physical attackers such as Silvally and Passimian. Alternatively, shifting 148 EVs from Defense to Special Defense allows Runerigus to take two Fire Blasts from Salazzle after Stealth Rock, letting it act as a switch-in to it at the cost of some physical bulk.

Runerigus fits best on teams that appreciate the Fighting immunity, entry hazard support, and physical bulk it provides. Runerigus has no recovery on its own, and it greatly appreciates clerics such as Vaporeon and Aromatisse that can heal it throughout a match. Teammates that can switch into Knock Off are beneficial to Runerigus, such as Silvally and Scrafty, as Runerigus struggles to check physical attackers that can use the move. Pokemon that switch into Water, Grass, and Ice attacks are important teammates for Runerigus; Snorlax, Vileplume, and Virizion are notable partners. Fighting-weak wallbreakers, such as Bewear, Copperajah, Drampa, and Duraludon, appreciate the combination of hazard support and Fighting immunity that Runerigus provides. Snorlax stands out as an excellent partner, as it both checks special attackers Runerigus struggles with and appreciates the switch-in to Fighting-types. Lastly, Runerigus is relatively helpless against most Defoggers, so Pokemon such as Passimian and Braviary that can punish them synergize well with it.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Eggs McGee, 517099]]
- Quality checked by: [[mavis, 469610], [Expulso, 202058]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216]]

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
The given evs maximize Runerigus's physical bulk, and the 4 speed evs make sure Runerigus can outspeed and status other pokemon in the crowded base 30 speed tier.
I know it's a WIP but I feel I should mention there's a policy against speed creeping in analyses. There's this old thread and a few other bits out there about it, but this should be sufficient. Would strongly suggest changing this before you get it ready for QC. Maybe 4 SpD or something?

On a side note, you should note that Runerigus has some pretty stiff competition with Steelix.

Eggs

some days, you just can't get rid of an egg
I know it's a WIP but I feel I should mention there's a policy against speed creeping in analyses. There's this old thread and a few other bits out there about it, but this should be sufficient. Would strongly suggest changing this before you get it ready for QC. Maybe 4 SpD or something?

On a side note, you should note that Runerigus has some pretty stiff competition with Steelix.
Thanks for the heads up, and that's another good idea. I mostly mentioned its lackluster ability to check physical attackers, I forgot to mention the best physical wall and hazard setter in the tier.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Thanks for the heads up, and that's another good idea. I mostly mentioned its lackluster ability to check physical attackers, I forgot to mention the best physical wall and hazard setter in the tier.
I think you could also mention that it's alright at checking Snorlax (especially ResTalk, that tends to only run Body Slam), though it should fear Darkest Lariat.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Amchecking since I kind of was before anyway. I put in some small grammar checks as well, though these aren't necessary until the GP phase. To clarify, you don't have to implement any of this, this is just my eyes!
Remove
Add

Comments

Try reading each sentence out loud, you'll notice some of them don't flow that well.

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Stealth Rock

[SET COMMENTS]
Runerigus serves as a niche hazard setter that doubles as a check to many physical attackers in the tier, such as Bewear, Snorlax, and Rhydon. However, Runerigus's low speed, weakness to common coverage moves, and lack of a reliable recovery severely limit its ability to check physical attackers throughout a match. [This feels a bit long-winded. You could possibly write something like "Runerigus serves as a niche hazard setter in RU that can also check physical attackers such as Bewear and Snorlax. However, its weaknesses and lack of recovery limit this." I'm not sure, though] While its ability to spinblock is valuable, Runerigus is unable to seriously threaten many of the defoggers in RU tier, all of which can Defog any hazards it set while taking little damage from Runerigus in return. [Consider giving an example. Maybe Cramorant since it has Surf?] Additionally, Runerigus faces stiff competition from Steelix, due to Steelix's better bulk and typing. Nevertheless, the sheer utility and role compression provided by Runerigus can be a valuable addition to a team if a team happens to need what Runerigus provides. [Runs on a bit, maybe shorten?] Earthquake allows Runerigus to deal damage to the pokemon it checks, scoring 3HKOs on Bewear and Silvally. Will-O-Wisp lets Runerigus cripple physical attackers that try to break through it. [Note an example of a Pokemon Runerigus would profit heavily from burning, such as one that otherwise threatens it.] The last move can be either Toxic Spikes or Shadow Claw. Toxic Spikes allows Runerigus to spread status throuhgout a game throughout a game [Spelling], and can be a valuable addition to a team. Shadow Claw, while somewhat lacking in damage output, makes sure Runerigus isn't completely helpless against airborne pokemon, most importantly Xatu, who otherwise counters it. The given evs EVs maximize Runerigus's physical bulk, helping it check physical attackers such as Silvally and Passimian. Alternatively, shifting 148 evs EVs from Defense to Special Defense allows Runerigus to live 2 Fire Blasts from Salazzle after Stealth rock, letting it act as a switch in to Salazzle at the cost of some physical bulk.

Runerigus fits well on teams that value its ability to check physical attackers and to wear down the opponent's team with hazards and status.[This sentence doesn't fit together that well. I think you could possibly reword it.] Clerics such as Vaporeon and Aromatisse synergize well with Runerigus, as Runerigus it [Repetition] appreciates the recovery from Wish. Grass-types such as Vileplume and VIrizion Virizion are also great partners, as they can deal with Water- or Grass-types that try to come in on Runerigus. Snorlax is another excellent partner for Runerigus, as Snorlax appreciates the hazards and fFighting immunity Runerigus brings,(AC) while also checking special attackers that try to hit Runerigus's much weaker special side. It's important to have a teammate that can pressure common defoggers, such as Braviary or Drapion, to pressure defoggers trying to remove Runerigus's hazards.[The repetition of "pressure defoggers" makes this flow really badly. Try rewording this.]

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Mavis

Banned deucer.
stamping plague's amcheck with the following additions to the teammates section: waters and fires to deal with opposing ice rypes, pokemon who appreciate fighting types being checked (you touched on this a little w lax, but should be a more fleshed out statement including both lax and drampa as well as steel types), and the Silvallies as teammates to absorb knock off. tag me in discord or here whenever you're ready for me to look over it again.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
good job! qc 2/2 once implemented, lmk if you have any questions about the few changes I suggested.

QC-Expulso-small.gif

add remove comments

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Although it is very passive, lacks recovery, and has poor special bulk, Runerigus serves as a niche hazard setter and check to common physical attackers. It packs excellent physical bulk, access to Stealth Rocks and Toxic Spikes, and a Ghost typing that allows it to spinblock and check fighting types. [spinners aren't common, only one is Coalossal; mention that specifically later]. However, its weaknesses, poor special bulk, and lack of recovery inhibit its ability to consistently perform its roles. Runerigus is also unable to seriously threaten any defogger in RU; Cramorant, Charizard, and Rotom-C all are immune to Earthquake and can hit Runerigus for significant damage while not fearing a Shadow Claw. Additionally, Runerigus faces stiff competition from Steelix, due to Steelix's better bulk and typing. [add mention of Mudsdale, maybe Rhydon too]. Nevertheless, Runerigus's unique attributes can be a valuable addition to a team. Earthquake allows Runerigus to deal damage to the pokemon physical attackers it checks, scoring 3HKOs on Bewear and Silvally. Will-O-Wisp lets Runerigus cripple physical attackers that try to break through it, such as Copperajah [you'd eq jah] Virizion and Gallade. The last move can be either Toxic Spikes or Shadow Claw. Toxic Spikes allows Runerigus to spread status throughout a game, and can be a valuable addition to a team. Shadow Claw, while somewhat lacking in damage output, makes sure Runerigus isn't completely helpless against airborne pokemon such as Charizard, Weezing and Vikavolt. The given EVs maximize Runerigus's physical bulk, helping it check physical attackers such as Silvally and Passimian. Alternatively, shifting 148 EVs from Defense to Special Defense allows Runerigus to live 2 Fire Blasts from Salazzle after Stealth rock, letting it act as a switch in to Salazzle at the cost of some physical bulk.

Runerigus fits best on teams that appreciate the Fighting immunity, hazard support, and physical bulk it provides. Runerigus has no recovery on its own, and it greatly appreciates clerics such as Vaporeon and Aromatisse who can heal it throughout a match. Teammates that can switch in to Knock Off are beneficial to Runerigus, such as Silvally and Scrafty, as Runerigus struggles to check physical attackers who can use Knock Off. Pokemon that resist Water, Grass, and Ice are important teammates for Runerigus; Snorlax, Vileplume, and Virizion are notable partners. Fighting-weak wallbreakers, such as Bewear, Copperajah, Drampa, and Duraludon, appreciate the combination of hazard support and Fighting immunity that Runerigus provides. Snorlax stands out as an excellent partner, as it both checks special attackers Runerigus struggles with and appreciates the switch in to Fighting types. Runerigus is relatively helpless against most defoggers, so Pokemon such as Passimian and Drapion Braviary that can punish them synergize well with it.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[mavis, 469610]], [Expulso, 202058]]

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Although it is very passive, lacks recovery, and has poor special bulk, Runerigus serves as a niche entry hazard setter and check to common physical attackers. It packs excellent physical bulk, access to Stealth Rocks Rock and Toxic Spikes, and a Ghost typing that allows it to spinblock and check Fighting-types. (AH) However, its (common? would read better w/ some adjective) weaknesses, poor special bulk, and lack of recovery inhibit its ability to consistently perform its roles. Not only is Rapid Spin rare, making spinblocking niche at best, Runerigus is also unable to seriously threaten any defogger in RU; Cramorant, Charizard, and Rotom-C all are immune to Earthquake, don't fear Shadow Claw, and can hit Runerigus for significant damage while not fearing a Shadow Claw. Additionally, Runerigus faces stiff competition from common Pokemon such as Steelix, Mudsdale, and Rhydon, who which perform nearly the same role with better bulk and typing. Nevertheless, Runerigus's unique attributes can be a valuable addition to a team. Earthquake allows Runerigus to deal damage to the physical attackers it checks, scoring 3HKOs on Bewear and Silvally. Will-O-Wisp lets Runerigus cripple physical attackers that try to break through it, such as Copperajah and Gallade. The last move can be either Toxic Spikes or Shadow Claw. Toxic Spikes allows Runerigus to spread status throughout a game (RC) and can be a valuable addition to a team. Shadow Claw, while somewhat lacking in damage output, makes sure Runerigus isn't completely helpless against airborne pokemon such as Charizard, Weezing, (AC) and Vikavolt. The given EVs maximize Runerigus's physical bulk, helping it check physical attackers such as Silvally and Passimian. Alternatively, shifting 148 EVs from Defense to Special Defense allows Runerigus to live 2 take two Fire Blasts from Salazzle after Stealth Rock, letting it act as a switch-in (AH) to Salazzle it at the cost of some physical bulk.

Runerigus fits best on teams that appreciate the Fighting immunity, entry hazard support, and physical bulk it provides. Runerigus has no recovery on its own, and it greatly appreciates clerics such as Vaporeon and Aromatisse who that can heal it throughout a match. Teammates that can switch in to into Knock Off are beneficial to Runerigus, such as Silvally and Scrafty, as Runerigus struggles to check physical attackers who that can use Knock Off the move. Pokemon that resist (can take / switch into x attacks? just for technical accuracy) Water, Grass, and Ice are important teammates for Runerigus; Snorlax, Vileplume, and Virizion are notable partners. Fighting-weak wallbreakers, such as Bewear, Copperajah, Drampa, and Duraludon, appreciate the combination of hazard support and Fighting immunity that Runerigus provides. Snorlax stands out as an excellent partner, as it both checks special attackers Runerigus struggles with and appreciates the switch-in (AH) to Fighting-types. (AH) Lastly, Runerigus is relatively helpless against most Defoggers, so Pokemon such as Passimian and Braviary that can punish them synergize well with it.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[mavis, 469610], [Expulso, 202058]]

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Not only is Rapid Spin rare, making spinblocking niche at best, Runerigus is also unable to seriously threaten any defogger in RU; Cramorant, Charizard, and Rotom-C all are immune to Earthquake , don't fear Shadow Claw, and can hit Runerigus for significant damage.
in first paragraph, remove this extra space between earthquake and the comma Eggs McGee
ty and good job!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)