Running

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Good luck, Expert Evan, as long as you beat your last time, you'll make good progress. :)

Update: the one teammate decided to set a 40 second lifetime best and leave me in the dust. Holy crap, that sucked. At least it was one of my teammates, though. I got second, and the other teammate got third. On varsity, our top guy won and the next ones were 3, 9, 11, 12, and 19. We won both team titles fairly easily. Varsity won 35ish to 70ish, and we won 27 to 120.
update2: I returned the favor on my teammate and the whole team. Our #6 runner got mono and is out for a new meets, and our #8 has something wrong with his heart, so is running pretty slow (a minute slower than beginning of season) so I got to run varsity on Saturday. I set a 38 second lifetime best 5k time of 18:11 and was number five runner (first time I've ever been better than number 7). Now, it's starting to get interesting, because if I keep this up, I'll stay on varsity the rest of the season, and now there's a lot going on for the last varsity spot, between the soph that might get lucky, the junior that won't be back from mono until the conference meet, and the senior that everybody hates and is running really bad right now.
Also, right now we are ranked number 2 in the state. I doubt that will change this coming week, but we're definately a top 4 team at state.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well today was another 5k in New Haven, CT as I wasn't quite able to bring my time down much compared to Labor Day as I'll need to lose another 15 pounds and put in more tempo runs and distances again. I certainly did not have the motivation I really needed to get a competitive time this time.

XC season update for the week:

On Tuesday we had a big dual meet against a team that we'd be fighting with for one of the top conference spots. I finally broke through and ran as our first runner for the first ever time with an 18:28 on our VERY challenging home course, they don't call our main hill Agony for nothing. I started out a little slower than the pack as usual and I was in 11th place in the meet at around 3/4 of a mile in. By the 2 mile, I had worked my way up to 4th place. After our biggest hills on the last mile, I ran down the other team's 3rd runner and absolutely stuck it to him on the last half mile, meaning I prevented them from taking 1-3 spots (which seals the win). We lost 22-33 despite my effort, my teammates overhyped the race and got out too hard.

At our invitiational yesterday (on Fish's home course :o), I got tripped by my own teammate about 150 meters in. They didn't call the start back for it. I went into the dirt head and shoulder first, hitting it hard. I'm surprised that no one ran me over but I had to wait for the pack to get around me. I was devastated since I ran my PR at that race the year before (17:48) and took the 20th out of 25 medals home. Well, I got up and saw the sea of runners ahead, probably 60 of them and I was mad. I ran smart though and worked my way up slowly.

At the mile, I heard the damage that had been done, my time was 5:33, 10 seconds slower than normal. I was screwed. I kept on running though, picking off groups of runners and feeling okay after a very frustrating start that I had to work my way through. Apparently a few of the parents saw me fall and said during the race, "Shake it off" and "You're on a mission now". When I ran through the 2 mile at about 11:20, I knew I was back in it despite my 10 second fall. A parent yelled: "You're #23" and I finally had an indication of the race.

My last mile wasn't as strong as I would've liked, since I had used up alot of what I had in the first 2 miles to come back. I didn't want to lay what I had left on the line so I kept my pace for the last mile and outkicked my teammate for the #20 spot and medal, in 17:39, a new PR. So despite my fall, I battled back and ran a decent race after all. I just really want to know what my time would've been had I gotten the start that I wanted. I'm thinking that I could've ran around 17:20. We took 4th in the meet, missing the 3rd place trophy by 14 points.

I'm looking forward to the end of this season. I have a dual meet against Fish's school (this is one of the biggest rivalries in Michigan) on Tuesday that is going to be extremely close. I then have 3 other large meets at our alternate home course that is even faster than this past one. I've been feeling much faster every day and it goes without saying that there will be one awesome ending to this season.

Update from my conference meet: I ran varsity along with our top 5 guys and the guy who just got over having mono. I whipped out a lifetime best 17:55 on a pretty hilly course and was 6th runner on my team, 9th overall. If not for a pack of 3 kids from our rival school that got into the top 10, we would have had 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Instead, we had 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 9, missing the perfect score by 2 points. The guy that just had mono got 13th, so our whole team was all conference.
Next week at districts, we are definately the team to beat. Top 3 go to state, and we are the only ranked team in our district, other than the team that just lost 2 guys to season-ending injuries. And best of all, now that I'm on varsity, I get to sleep in a bed at state instead of on the floor as an alternate, and I get food money :D Will post next weekend with updates from districts :D

Our Conference meet was today. After finishing 6th as a team two years ago and 5th last year, we kept our place of 4th in the 10 team Conference today.

I ran a great race, not getting caught up in the early fast pace. I was probably in 30th at the mile mark with a 5:18. By the 2 mile, I had moved up to about 16th in a time of 11:05. I ended up taking 14th overall, just barely missing outkicking a kid for 13th (and I don't have a kick at all, I'm a true consistent pace type runner) with a time of 17:27, a new PR. I hadn't even felt that great during the race. My stomach had been hurting all day and I was very nervous for my final Conference meet.

My teammate and I ended up taking 8th and 14th and were the only all Conference team members of our team (top 20). So, after a bad race last year, I finally made the all Conference team. I had never felt so great after a race.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Way to go FiveKman, that was quite inspirational! I have my first 5k race on Thursday 25th October. I'll let you all know how I do. :)

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
In my school's cross country team, most of our varsity team is running 17:40sh. I hate running long distances because I have asthma. I like short distances though for football/basketball.

I have slight respiratory problems so it is really difficult to run long distance, I also have short legs (9th grade, 5'0, and yeah, I will be 6 feet by age 18 but my growth is going at a slooooooow pace)

Anyway when I started, I had never run a 5k before, and I got 36 minutes. I have been on the cross country team for about a month and I am now down to 24 minutes. So I am getting pretty good.

Also not that it really matters but I live in Florida, so it is always really hot and humid, not too great for running.

Endocrinologist, bone ages, all sorts of medical shit, like I said, my growth slowed down due to some wierd thing this year... luckily, it will clear up by mid 10th grade and I will literally just shoot up, rapid growth style... Also I forgot to mention, I have shin splints, they are a bitch to deal with, but if I dont stop they wont act up until after the race.

I have slight respiratory problems so it is really difficult to run long distance, I also have short legs (9th grade, 5'0, and yeah, I will be 6 feet by age 18 but my growth is going at a slooooooow pace)
Odds are that it will all happen at once for you. I was 5'4", 90 lbs during my freshman year. By my sophomore year, I was 5'6" and the same weight. When I hit my junior year, I had grown to about 5'11", 125 lbs. Now, I'm 6'0"-6'1", 135 lbs. Most of my growing happened going into my junior year really, it just might take time, no matter how frustrating it may be.

Anyway, back on running, I have the county meet on Friday. Only 3 kids from our county beat me today. However, there will be 3 other teams there, 2 of which are very strong. I'll be happy if I can bring home a 10th place finish in the county meet. I earned 13th last year and the top 15 receive all county honors. Regionals are a week after that, we'll see if I can make it to state or not.

Thanks for the compliment Lee.

Just a question, how do you guys run at 17,18 minutes.. Were you always into running? I mean I only got into it this year. It's kind of a confidence destroyer when I run 24 and think its good and you guys seem to be spitting out 17 minutes without any trouble whatsoever.

Do you guys have any tips?

Miles make champions, it's as simple as that.

If you just put the time in the summer, your times will come down and you'll have a much better base to work off of in the fall.

I mean, 17 isn't hard for me to get into anymore but I know I can still do better. I feel bad but I don't think that my coach gives us quality workouts. Anyway, I guess I got into running when I played club soccer during 7th grade when our new coach who ran us into the ground with 1/4 mile repeats. I beat up on everyone in them. When our school re-established the middle school track team in 8th grade, I was our #1 distance runner and quit soccer going into my freshman year for cross country.

I've always loved running and been decent at it but putting in 2000 miles a year has alot to do with it. My freshman year PR was 18:26, when I was a shrimp. I'm confident that if I run in college I'll dip below 16:50 in the 5k.

Really, I'm only a decent runner though. If you want to make it to state as an individual, you usually have to run around 17:10-17:20, so I'm not too far from that. Only time will tell how much faster that I can get. You have to want it though. Good things take time, especially in distance running.

District meet was tonight, after being postponed from last night because of rain and they didn't want us to rip up a golf course. So it got moved to a park nearby, which had already hosted a meet the night before, in the rain.
Remember that kid that I talked about winning the JV race out of nowhere and then being 7th runner at the next meet? Well, he was our 4th runner today. Apparently he likes mud. We very easily won our district as a team, so we're off to state.
I was 21st in 19:0something. I think everyone was slowed down about 45 seconds in the mud, but I was worse than average because I didn't have a great race. Our other six were in the top 13.
State is the 27th (next Saturday), and right now we are ranked 3rd in the state, but our coaches agree that we are better than the second ranked team.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've been in cross-country for my 2nd year now, and since I'm in the senior boys division at my school, the races are 7k...The races have been pretty insane, with the first one having the handicap of it being 30 celsius outside.

Honestly though, if you want to do good in those meets, you NEED to go to practice. There are times when I just plain don't feel like going to practice, but I don't tend to do that great in the races anyway. Every second counts on these races, especially att the end when you've gotta sprint to the finish. That's hard as hell to do for me, since my legs are usually noodles near the end of a race, especially if I don't stop.

Yeah, I can endure a lot of running, but I'm really slow. I'm not completely sure what my times are, but there are some times when I'm behind even chumps that walk for parts of the race, so yeah.

Last year, I was in the junior boys division, and the races were 6k. I cannot stress how much harder that additional 1k is for me. I know that 1k isn't that much, but for goodness sakes, it just feels like the races are never-ending this year when I actually do them.

Cross-country is enjoyable though, I rather like it. I don't like the practicing part, since it's rather unmotivating, but the fact that I KNOW that my body is getting really tough is the part that makes it enjoyable.

Heh, awesome thread here.

We had the county meet last night. Our team finished 4th out of 8 team, just points behind grabbing the 2nd or 3rd place spot. Oh well, not much you can do about how your team mates run.

I ran a 17:39 for my time, good for 13th place, which earned me one of the 15 all county honors spots. I was probably in the low 20s in the first mile and worked my way up to 14th by the 2 mile. After that, I kind of realized that I hadn't put as much into the first 2 miles as maybe I should've. I ended up catching guy ahead of me, mainly motivated by it picking my pace up and for a cushion spot in case I got outkicked. Coming into the last .4 miles or so, two kids passed me, putting me in 15th. I went with the faster one and passed the other one back. The kid I went with was just too fast but we managed to both get another kid coming into the last 1/4 mile which moved me back into 13th place.

The course was just crazy though, being so muddy. There were probably at least 20 spots where the mud and rain was a few inches deep. It didn't phaze me at all because I tied my 2nd best ever time.

It's crazy how much more competitive my county has gotten in the last year though. My freshman year, we took 2nd place with a team that isn't nearly as good as the one we have now. Also, a senior at the time took 8th place with a 17:52. I ran a 17:51 last year and a 17:39 this year and both times I ended up with the 13th place medal.

Expert Evan

17:39 is still beats my personal record by just a few seconds. I may participate in a 5k race this coming Sunday depending on how I feel as I still need to lose at least 10 pounds to get back into competitive shape.

I've been in cross-country for my 2nd year now, and since I'm in the senior boys division at my school, the races are 7k...The races have been pretty insane, with the first one having the handicap of it being 30 celsius outside.

Honestly though, if you want to do good in those meets, you NEED to go to practice. There are times when I just plain don't feel like going to practice, but I don't tend to do that great in the races anyway. Every second counts on these races, especially att the end when you've gotta sprint to the finish. That's hard as hell to do for me, since my legs are usually noodles near the end of a race, especially if I don't stop.

Yeah, I can endure a lot of running, but I'm really slow. I'm not completely sure what my times are, but there are some times when I'm behind even chumps that walk for parts of the race, so yeah.

Last year, I was in the junior boys division, and the races were 6k. I cannot stress how much harder that additional 1k is for me. I know that 1k isn't that much, but for goodness sakes, it just feels like the races are never-ending this year when I actually do them.

Cross-country is enjoyable though, I rather like it. I don't like the practicing part, since it's rather unmotivating, but the fact that I KNOW that my body is getting really tough is the part that makes it enjoyable.

Heh, awesome thread here.
Yeah, it’s my 2nd year in cross-country now and I’m in the junior boys division: 6km races. Several weeks ago, I went to a race when it was 30 celsius degrees outside in St. Catharine’s. Were you there?

Last year as a midget, my best time was around the 23 minute mark for 5km. I know – nothing impressive, but it was my first year running cross-country at all. I never did it before high school. This year, I think I can run a 5km within 21 minutes for sure – maybe 20 minutes if I have a good day.

The first two races, I ran horrible times with 31 or so minutes for 6km. At our pre-regional qualifying meet last week, I managed to cut my time down by 5 minutes to 26:38. And considering I tripped over a root going down one of the many hills, I felt pretty good about myself.

I was actually in the top 20 for the first 600m or so, which was pretty good for me, but I ended up finishing slightly above half the field. Our regional qualifying meet is this Friday, and I’m hoping to run the 6km within 25 minutes.

I’m not really a long distance guy, as I can run the first kilometer or so fine – but then I start slowing down after. I really need to work on my endurance after the season’s over since I’m doing cross-country skiing afterwards [which I will make the Ontario provincial’s for].

I'm a sprinter and can do long distance. Although I am quite good at it I don't enjoy it that much. I think it's pretty boring although it's nice to know that it's keeping you fit. However the main reason I don't like it is how nervous I get when I'm about to start the race! Holy Shit it's the scariest thing ever!

Today we had our regional meet, qualifying for provincials. The weather was really nice, about 13.C or 15.C at most, and it stayed warm throughout the day.

As for the race itself, I thought it kind of sucked. I had a great start, was in the top 5 for the first 300m or so. Our 1st runner was beside me at the moment, and our 2nd and 3rd [I'm the 4th] were slightly behind us.

We get into the first forest - our 2nd and 3rd runners pass me. My goal was to keep up with them until the end of the forest - but they were out of my sight early on.

Near the last leg of the leg, with about 600m or so left to go, I was sitting at about 50th. One of my coaches tells me to pick it up and sprint - mistake. I ended up getting my first cramp in any race, and it was a horrible one. A bunched of people passed me there and I had no kick at the end, or else I would've made up some ground.

I came in 63rd. My team [Jr. Boys] finished 4, 19, 22, 63. Yeah - weakest link over here. However, I did beat my PB by 30 seconds with a cramp [I ran a 26:02 for 6km - goal was under-25] so I guess I should be proud of that. And it's the top 2 teams go to provincials; we we're third. 2nd place had 57, so even if I ran my absolute best - we would not be going.

And now it's time for nordic skiing where I can easily make provincials. = )

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Heh, I totally got my ass kicked at ROPSSAA. I got like 42:50 for my 7k time...heh, I wasn't even really tired though, my mind just never lets my legs go faster. Although, in the last part, I sprinted like mad and I finished the last kilometer in about 2 minutes. Yeah, that shows that I CAN go fast when I have the motivation to, but otherwise, nahhh. Heh, I got 269th. Better than last time I did the race though, I had 344th that time. My fault for being a slacker with my practice. :]

Gosh, I wish I was still a junior boy. Senior boys division is annoying as hell because not only do we have to do our race last out of all the divisions, but that 1 more k does hurt quite a bit. That and, being in grade 11, I find it a lot harder to run with both grade 11s AND 12s in the same race, but yeah.

I did cross country since freshmen year and as a senior the season just ended with no one on the guys team going to state (however the girls are ranked # 1). i started off pretty slow my freshmen year like 23 or 22ish. but i improved as the years with my PR being 18:45 which is JV on my team. i mainly did it because my friends did it and it was a way to stay in shape for the soccer season.

Expert Evan

Well today is the New York City Marathon as I'll be watching that on TV at least. I was in shock and disbelief that elite runner Ryan Shay collapsed and died in yesterday's Olymplic trials so this morning my thoughts and prayers were for him during my morning jog. While I was never so familiar with him, he did run in the New Haven 20k a few months ago in 5th place while I was also there having ran the 5k and stayed to watch all the 20k leaders finish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)