ORAS OU Sableye broken pls nerf (Peaked 1906, #1)

Ox the Fox

is a Tiering Contributorwon the 8th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Smogon Charity Bowl IV Winner

Hey guys, today I want to bring you an RMT of my most succesful HO team. This team is pretty standard with a few unique sets. It has the ability to win against most playstyles as long as you don't play like a complete idiot. It features hard hitting mons to apply constant pressure on the opponent so you don't have to switch into things. Enjoy!

My friend I ABR I, had recently been using a stallbreaking core of d megascizor + fire punch diggersby, so I decided to build around it.

I decided on making this into a hyper offense team, so I added mamoswine, as it is an extremely good rocker and I wanted to test it with life orb.

I wanted a way to be able to ensure rocks on sableye so I used choice specs sylveon with baton pass to threaten it out then baton pass out.

Next I added greninja for a way for me to beat offense and balanced, and just to provide general offensive pressure to my opponent.

Loppunny was starting to look like a massive threat, so I added scarf latias in order to suprise it with scarf and kill it while also providing healing wish support.

At this point the first version of my team was complete, I tested some, and found some pretty big weaknesses that I needed to fix.

The biggest issue to my team at this point was bird spam, so I replaced sylveon with specs raikou as another way to keep momentum while still dishing out major damage and beating birds. Latias just wasn't strong enough to run a scarf set so I had to switch it with latios. Finally, mamoswine was switched with azelf as I wanted a faster rocker who could beat sableye.

In Depth Analysis:

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Skill Swap
- Explosion

Azelf is a pretty standard lead pokemon, with the obvious moves being stealth rock, fire blast, and explosion. The last move is a bit of a gimmick in being skill swap. Skill swap allows me to switch my ability with sableye or diancie, and get my rocks up. A lot of people will expect taunt either way and won't try to get rocks up. I maximize spa to get as much damage as I can on scizor, ferrothorn, and bisharp.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Scizor was one of the mons I wanted to build around, and it is the MVP of the team. It's ability to sweep so many teams at +2 is just amazing. The three attacking moves I picked, are, in my opinion, the best moves for scizor. Bullet punch is obvious priority and a strong stab, bug bite allows me to hit rotom-w and most water types, finally superpower is useful for steel types such as heatran. The EV spread might seem a bit weird, but it enables me to outspeed 4 speed rotom-w before mega-ing, while maintaining bulk for setting up. Again, thanks to I ABR I for the spread.

hoes on mah bed (Diggersby) @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Fire Punch

Diggersby is my main way of dealing with stall, and my strongest priority. This thing hits like an absolute truck, ohkoing scarf landot with return + quick attack as long as you don't get completely ass rolls. I'm using a fire punch set over SD, as I already have a sd user and fire punch is extremely nice for ferrothorn and skarmory. One thing I've found out is no one ever protects on diggersby with ferrothorn, and this always ohkos it. Try not to predict ferro switching in until it's actually in so you can bop it with fire punch.

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Raikou is an extremely good, but underrated mon. He gives me the ability to hit the opponent with powerful volt switches and keep momentum. He is also a very nice check to bird spam , as he resists flying and outspeeds most bird types. I decided to use choice specs as I wanted the most damage output on things like rotom-w, and this guy is one of my late game cleaners, with shadow ball or thunderbolt.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam

Greninja is an extremely good and broken mon right now. The four moves I chose to use, are the most standard. Dark pulse is for megagross, jirachi, mew, and slowbro, gunk shot are for fairies, low kick are for steel/ice types and ice beam is a strong hitting move for hitting pokemon such as gliscor and landorus. 40 attack evs ensure the OHKO on azumarill with gunk shot. Ban this mon.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Choice scarf latios is an excellent revenge killer. It's my only way of beating greninja outside of priority and a speed tie with my own greninja, I'm using hp fire over surf or t bolt to get bisharp and ferrothorns on the switch in, which are other wise really annoying to take down. I haven't been using trick for long but I do like the ability to break stall easier, however I'm not sure I need it considering I can just double to diggersby on a chansey or clefable.

Threatlist:

Excadrill in sand is by far the biggest threat to my team. I have absolutely no safe switch ins to this, and the only thing that tanks is mega scizor which I have to keep at full, luckily it isn't too common anymore.

STUPID ASS BROKEN SHITHEAD. FUCK THIS THING. should be banned soon tho, dw
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-195176290

I don't have any safe switch ins, but neither does she. Mega scizor sets up on it and latios outspeeds and OHKOs.

Same deal as lopunny, except scizor doesn't set up on it, easily worn down with LO+ rocks + prio though.

Azelf @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Skill Swap
- Explosion

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

hoes on mah bed (Diggersby) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Fire Punch

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Thanks so much for reading. If you guys have any suggestions feel free to leave them down below, especially how to beat sab. Test it if you like and good luck!​

Last edited:
Hey man, great team! I think I've faced it on the ladder before, or a similar variant of it. Just 1 suggestion :]

I think that Thundurus makes your team a bit better if you put it over Raikou. Raikou has slightly better bulk, but Thundy is a lil less reliant on predictions and can also help you when facing stuff like Greninja and Lopunny via Prankster twave :]

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Congrats on the peak and best of luck keepin #1

Nice team, Ox and congrats on your peak. I think you might know me as HJ Regicide on PS. I think I beat your team with some generic rain team, and this team struggles a lot with rain, seeing as you have no switch ins to Kingra at all, and scarf Latios can't even outspeed Modest max speed Kingdra in rain. Therefore I suggest replacing LO Diggersby with Sash Diggersby, and then try Taunt > Fire Blast on Azelf. Sash diggers allows your team to have a check to rain and taunt on Azelf allows you to protect Diggersby's sash. You aren't in real need of Fire Blast on Azelf seeing as you have many other Pokemon with fire-coverage and can taunt Mega-Scizors that try to set up on Azelf as well as prevent hazards vs Skarm and Ferro. That sash helps you a lot vs Birdspam, Sand and Rain. Basically, sash Diggersby can check any offensive Pokemon it wants. As for Mega Sableye, FUCK THAT STUPID ASS BROKEN SHITHEAD. I hope this helps fren :)

Diggersby @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Fire Punch
- Quick Attack

Azelf @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Skill Swap
- Explosion

Edit: You don't need to change Raikou for Thundurus if you follow my advice. Thundy gets worn down extremely quickly and doesn't hit Sableye as hard as Raikou

Last edited:
If anything, you could just run Dazzling Gleam over skill swap right? But then that leaves out Diancie. But you got to think, how many times have you seen Diancie lead in front of a Scizor team? I know I'm not the best resource for suggestions, but that one little change could help you beat the Sableye that I know very well. Good job on the build by the way.

P.s. There is no skill in this game. Only knowledge, options and sometimes even miss-clicks.

I completely disagree with almost all the above suggestions barring Thundy and Taunt Azelf. Mistaken, you didn't really even make any points for suggesting Infernape besides at +2 it might to the most minimal degree OHKO Mega Sableye. When an opponent has an Azelf on their team, who'd assume they'd lead off with anything else? It's a freaking suicide lead. Diancie, Mega Scizor or not, is sometimes a good option to bounce back the Rocks and make the lead redundant, shit like Mega Sableye does that too and Skill Swap can completely troll with the thing where Dazzling Gleam would only do little under 50%. Sash on Diggersby is redundant with a suicide lead and no hazard removal, odds are it's going to get broken at some point anyway and removing Life Orb would limit his ability to punch holes in opposing walls (though if you do take up the Thundurus idea then maybe you could run Banded). You might also want to run 220 EVs in Speed for Mega Scizor to outspeed max speed Specs Magnezone if that's a thing, but that's pretty much it. Solid bunch, man! Good job!

Bryce

Lun
yeah mega sab is stupid and broken as fuck. I don't want to play any games because of that little piece of shit.

Anyways, I like the build of this team. First of all, you're still horribly weak to bird spam.Standard SD Jolly Talon sets up on Mega Scizor and straight blows through this team and Banded ones do like 65% to Raikou, so with rocks up and Raikou being needed to deal with Pinsir, you just outright lose.

Bisharp also smashes this team way to easily. All the opponent needs to do is play around Greninja and Mega Sciz a bit and they both lose after taking a bit of damage. Mega Sab shits on you too but meh, it's near impossible to deal with.

I recommend removing Scarf Latios. It sucks honestly. It's a fast hit and run pokemon on your team which doesn't work too well on teams like this imo. Surprise kills are nice but it'll be deadweight against a skilled opponent. I would suggest Scarf Garchomp instead. Garchomp can stomach a CB Brave Bird and helps beat SD Talon with recoil+rough skin. It's a better Scarfer, and acts as a cleaner which scarfers on teams like this should. Plus, you can split up checking Pinsir and Talon between Raikou and ScarfChomp. It also makes you less Bisharp weak. Next, is Fpunch Diggerby really worth it? I understand OHKOIng Ferro and beating Skarm is nice but you can potentially lose to SubToxic Gliscor now. I would really suggest SD over it but it's up to preference. As for the bisharp weakness, it's quite hard to cover since it'll require a significant replacement. Anyways, good luck.

Pent

dumb broad
Hey! Sableye To Ubers! Do it OU Council! XD
This is a Great team! I love it. And I like that it works to counter Sableye rather well. I have some suggestions to change it though, so please take them into consideration.

On Azelf, I really don't understand Skill Swap on it. (I guess to counter Talonflame?) I would Run Taunt > Power Swap. You could even run Knock Off if you truly wanted to. Taunt just breaks Ferrothorn, and then you can use Fire Blast on it.

Next is Latios, and since this team doesn't have a Defogger, I would exchange it for Latias.

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Healing Wish helps you with healing up your Pokemon, and Defog helps with getting rid of Screens/Hazards.

Hope it helps. ^^

Hey! Sableye To Ubers! Do it OU Council! XD
This is a Great team! I love it. And I like that it works to counter Sableye rather well. I have some suggestions to change it though, so please take them into consideration.

On Azelf, I really don't understand Skill Swap on it. (I guess to counter Talonflame?) I would Run Taunt > Power Swap. You could even run Knock Off if you truly wanted to. Taunt just breaks Ferrothorn, and then you can use Fire Blast on it.
Skill Swap is to counter the obvious leads that try to shut Azelf down, Magic Bouncers like Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye. It's an unexpected strategy that really puts the momentum in your favour since the things they sent out as a supposed counter stops being a counter. There's the clip under Sableye's mention in the threat-list to show. Taunt is good, but it's pretty obvious. Fire Blast already handles Ferro and Scizor, as does Diggersby and Latios, Taunt I guess can handle walls, but it's pretty predictable and doesn't support this team quite as well to warrant replacing Skill Swap entirely.

Next is Latios, and since this team doesn't have a Defogger, I would exchange it for Latias.

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Healing Wish helps you with healing up your Pokemon, and Defog helps with getting rid of Screens/Hazards.

Hope it helps. ^^
This team doesn't really need a Defogger since nothing is really weak to Rocks. Employing a Defogger would also be counter-intuitive to running a suicide lead since if you clear all hazards then you've wasted your Rock support. Hyper Offence is more about piling pressure on your opponent and forcing switches for hazards to wear the opposing team down and really norrow the opportunities for opponents to set up Rocks to begin with. Latios is important for effective revenging and wall-breaking with Trick, something which Latias just can't pull off as effectively.

I agree with the choice of thundy over Raikou as it helps with other weaknesses, not entirely sure about chomp as it cant OHKO Mega Punny which Latios could do. I disagree on the idea of 252 Atk EVs over Sp Atk, do that and you lose the OHKO on Ferrothorn.

EDIT: A scarfed Kyruem-B could also fufill Garchomp's role as a cleaner better since Mega Scizor would remove the potential Fairies that would block the Outrage spam. You do lose out on a birdspam check though, not sure which is better

Last edited:

Exiline

Banned deucer.
is a Past SCL Championis a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi man,
Are you try Clefable over Azelf for set up SR ?
Clef can help you against Sableye and Lopunny and he is great statut absorber.

Clefable (F) @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

( And Mega Metagross don't kill clef with Meteor mash)

Scarf Chomp over Latios would completely remove any real ability to kill Fighting threats like Conk and Mega Lop, Psyshock adds good coverage to patch some holes in this teams offensive prowess while Garchomp adds another EQ user which is kind of redundant with Diggersby. Chomp also doesn't help to the greatest extent with Birdspam either since it gets OHKOed by SD Talonflame if he manages to set up. I don't think sacrificing good coverage for the sake of checking a T-Flame before set-up is really worth it.
Kyurem would also be completely detrimental to this team in the fact that it not only removes your Fighting check but adds another weakness to Fighting. Kyurem also has a Stealth Rock weakness so on a team with no Defogger, and one that can't really afford to run a Defogger, it'll just be dead weight.

Scarf Chomp over Latios would completely remove any real ability to kill Fighting threats like Conk and Mega Lop, Psyshock adds good coverage to patch some holes in this teams offensive prowess while Garchomp adds another EQ user which is kind of redundant with Diggersby. Chomp also doesn't help to the greatest extent with Birdspam either since it gets OHKOed by SD Talonflame if he manages to set up. I don't think sacrificing good coverage for the sake of checking a T-Flame before set-up is really worth it.
Kyurem would also be completely detrimental to this team in the fact that it not only removes your Fighting check but adds another weakness to Fighting. Kyurem also has a Stealth Rock weakness so on a team with no Defogger, and one that can't really afford to run a Defogger, it'll just be dead weight.
not using super effective moves doesn't mean there's no real ability to kill fighting threats. He has mega sciz and digger with strong prio for lop and scarf chomp's outrage nearly OHKOS and EQ does a shit ton. Latios cant kill conk anyway with psyshock.seriously read his post, talon wont have much health left if it sets up vs this team and recoil plus+rough skin will potentially kill it. chomp's redundant because digger has eq is just a stupid logic and no, replacing scarf lati wtih scarf chomp is hardly giving up good coverage.

not using super effective moves doesn't mean there's no real ability to kill fighting threats. He has mega sciz and digger with strong prio for lop and scarf chomp's outrage nearly OHKOS and EQ does a shit ton. Latios cant kill conk anyway with psyshock.seriously read his post, talon wont have much health left if it sets up vs this team and recoil plus+rough skin will potentially kill it. chomp's redundant because digger has eq is just a stupid logic and no, replacing scarf lati wtih scarf chomp is hardly giving up good coverage.
Fighting types like Conk. Believe it or not, Conk isn't the only Fighting threat out there. There's Mega Lopunny as the OP mentioned, and Garchomp cannot KO without Rocks and isn't guaranteed after, and if a Fairy is left on the opponent's team and you can't risk going for Outrage then you have no OHKO chance at all unless you want to sac Chomp, whereas Latios guarantees it in any situation. Mega Scizor can set up on it, but Diggersby cannot KO with Quick Attack that's for sure, but if you want him to go down to a HJK or a Drain Punch then more power to you. More solid example would be Scarfed Keldeo which can outspeed Scarfchomp and take a massive portion of his HP with Icy Wind and maybe even get the kill, and there's your revenger wasted; Scarfed Keldeo can 2HKO this whole team as it is and if Raikou goes down then Scizor is the closest thing to face it. Latios can outspeed and has an OHKO chance that Garchomp doesn't, as well as being able to take a hit, Icy Wind doesn't even do 50% to Latios, he can take two after Rocks, so if you get majorly low rolled it's not the end of the world. See my point yet? I wasn't saying two EQ users is bad therefore Garchomp is bad, I'm saying Psyshock coverage is valuable.

Hey the team looks pretty good but there's a few things I can't possibly agree with. So here's my review with advice:

Greninja I believe is no longer a viable option for OU therefore needs replacing. I recommend scarfed gengar. He is a great revenge killer, solution to fairy Pokemon and even a viable spin blocker this is the set I'd run:

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball / Dazzling Gleam

Shadow ball is STAB, sludge wave takes care of fairies but also gengar is a steel bait so you can use focus blast on the predicted steel switch-ins. He's overall a good revenge killer and in certain situations can sweep well.

I don't have much time but I'll write back with a full review later

Fighting types like Conk. Believe it or not, Conk isn't the only Fighting threat out there. There's Mega Lopunny as the OP mentioned, and Garchomp cannot KO without Rocks and isn't guaranteed after, and if a Fairy is left on the opponent's team and you can't risk going for Outrage then you have no OHKO chance at all unless you want to sac Chomp, whereas Latios guarantees it in any situation.
Threats like Mega Lop to offense are threats that needs to be played around with prio+scarfer and saccing. Playing the game well gets u more useful knowledge than theorymoning. and lol that fairy thing is a joke because more dangerous things to this team like dd megatar, dd mega gyara and sd bisharp sets up on choice locked psyshock. if he plays good he can avoid these situations.

Mega Scizor can set up on it, but Diggersby cannot KO with Quick Attack that's for sure, but if you want him to go down to a HJK or a Drain Punch then more power to you.
like u said, healthy mega sciz beats it and digger does a lot with QA, so BP+qa or QA+scarf chomp kills it. and no, this 2 for 1 tradeoff isnt bad, since it takes out the most threatening member and opens up for other teammates for doing damage. for example, lop being gone, the opponent will have trouble with greninja and if rk's it with his scarfer, sciz can set up. thats how this game is played.

More solid example would be Scarfed Keldeo which can outspeed Scarfchomp and take a massive portion of his HP with Icy Wind and maybe even get the kill, and there's your revenger wasted; Scarfed Keldeo can 2HKO this whole team as it is and if Raikou goes down then Scizor is the closest thing to face it.
scarf keldeo is the only legit argument u gave but being less weak to talon and sharp is more important.

Latios can outspeed and has an OHKO chance that Garchomp doesn't, as well as being able to take a hit, Icy Wind doesn't even do 50% to Latios, he can take two after Rocks, so if you get majorly low rolled it's not the end of the world. See my point yet? I wasn't saying two EQ users is bad therefore Garchomp is bad, I'm saying Psyshock coverage is valuable.
no, psyshock isnt that valuable of a coverage.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I played a few games with this team and lati / raikou were the weakest links. I replaced Latios with Landorus and had a little bit more success, but scarf lando is such a miserable pokemon. you open yourself up to get set up on more often than lati ever would. U-turn is great especially with volt switch from raikou but against stall it doesnt really do much and as you mentioned trick from lati is pretty cool against it. Having intimidate lando also helps you take a bit of pressure off scizor in taking attacks. You can sack lando to somthing so scizor has an easier time setting up against something with -1 attack. it's another check to bird spam and deals with sand offense pretty well.

It does open you up a bit more to keldeo since lati was a great answer to it and i know the goal is for scizor to excel and having more opportunities for keldeo to come in safely isn't the best (but keldtar is miserable for lati anyway). i also tried sash zam and it was working pretty well in latis slot too. it has a great matchup vs offense. it almost always goes 1v1 on a pokemon you want to get rid of.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Encore
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Encore is amazing imo.

IMO run 92 atk on greninja as it ensuresto ohko heatran after rocks and you don't like to take lava plume and perhaps get burned. You don't miss out on any special koes because the damage output difference is really minimal.

What about running Fire Punch > Blast on ur Azelf? Its still able to 2HKO Ferro and MSciz easily while u dont have to nerf ur Explosion by playing so much SpA-Investement.

Set:

Azelf @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- Fire Punch
- Skill Swap
- Stealth Rock

Furthermore i would run Scarflando > Diggersby, LO Latios > Scarflatios and Sub + CM Keldeo > Ninja. Diggersby cant beat Stall anyway cause they usually run Skarm which walls Diggersby easily. With Scarflando u dont have to use Scarflati which isnt that great and u also have a good Voltturn-Core with Raikou + Lando. It also handles Drill. Cause u already have a Scarfer now u dont have to use Scarflati anymore and u can run a LO-Set with Roost. Now ur team has no way to break stall so u should use Sub + CM Keldeo over Ninja which is an amazing 'mon to handle MSabl-Stall these days.

Sets:

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
- Superpower

Latios @ Life-Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Roost

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Hope i could help u :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)