Same Type Stealth Rock

Oh! The Immortal updated the OP! Awesome.

Though you've currently got Fighting type Pokemon listed as immune to Ghost type Stealth Rock. That should be Normal type.

I am never going to stop being amused at the usage of Electric type Stealth Rock as an example when Magic Coat and type manipulation shenanigans are the only way to get it.

Mamoswine being immune to Electric Stealth Rock is basically irrelevant.

As far as type manipulation shenanigans goes...

Camouflage

Allows for
, and
type Stealth Rock. Unfortunately, the only Pokemon to get Camouflage and Stealth Rock are

none of which is all that viable, and Kecleon is hampered by both its Abilities involuntarily changing its typing. Worse yet, Smeargle is the only one with any of the Terrains, so if you want the non-terrible typings you need some other Pokemon to actually set Terrain, and you have an extremely tight timetable to then Camouflage and actually set Stealth Rock.

Conversion

Can be used to set literally any type of Stealth Rock you care to name.

... oh.

Conversion2

... stick to Conversion if you're going to even bother.

Reflect Type

Can be used to set, theoretically, any type of Stealth Rock you care to name, but requires the opponent's cooperation.

Well. Mew is actually pretty decent. That's something.

Magic Coat

(Protean)

--

Main thing worth commentary about Magic Coat: Electric, Ghost, and Fighting Stealth Rocks are possible, though I consider a Fighting one unrealistic because, seriously, you're going to put Magic Coat on your Mega Medicham so it can bounce Rocks?? Electric and Ghost are both more plausible, especially since they contain Pokemon that have reason to carry Magic Coat above and beyond trying to angle for a specific Stealth Rock type.

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
Tbh people are placing way too much emphasis on getting the right rock type. Just getting a decent OU team and making sure you're not deadly weak to hazards works way better than bringing a team specifically designed to put up a few different types of rocks.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Tbh people are placing way too much emphasis on getting the right rock type. Just getting a decent OU team and making sure you're not deadly weak to hazards works way better than bringing a team specifically designed to put up a few different types of rocks.
That is true but there is a style which I have seen quite a few and built a team around where basically you put Stealth Rock on 4 out of 6 mons that allows a lot of pressure. Sort of have the same effect when you go against DoomSight Jirachi where you have to play ahead of the game. For this Defoggers and Rapid Spinners become more common meaning this is sort of an HO that doesn't set up but applies pressure later in the match. Most OU teams work but some things go up and down in viability like Bisharp, Mamoswine and Kecleon get boost but pokemon like Garchomp and Chansey lose a bit of versatility. I hope this made sense.

Honestly, one of the main things I've taken away is that Mega Charizard X is awesome in STSR. Any kind of Stealth Rock that isn't Rock is an improvement, as far as it's concerned, and Fire is one of the better contenders, and it resists and then double resists that.

Getting the right kind of Rock up does have specific uses: I've appreciated being able to get Fire up against teams using Scizor as their Defogger, because if I ever get it below half-health and then set Fire Rocks, unless I Defog, Scizor is now out of the match, and usually they're unable to ever remove hazards as a result.

Honestly I think the bigger effect has been on things like: Skarmory is less appealing a hazard manager, because its own Stealth Rock is pretty sub-optimal, Hippowdon overall suffers because Stealth Rock+Ground attack is actually a decent combination (Sort of like Edgequake, but replacing Stone Edge with Stealth Rock) whereas now its Stealth Rock is redundant with its STAB, and Ferrothorn fulfills a very different role if you want to set Stealth Rock with it than in Standard, since Grass Stealth Rock pressures a completely different set of Pokemon.

The utility of setting multiple Stealth Rock types tends to drop off past two types, in my experience, as past that you're restricting your other move access too much, and against most teams you probably have a single preferred Stealth Rock type anyway. Occasionally you have one preferred for keeping a specific threat out, which is then un-preferred once it's dead. (I've put up Fire, dealt with Scizor, and then wanted to get Fairy up because everything left resists Fire and/or is vulnerable to Fairy, for instance)

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Honestly, one of the main things I've taken away is that Mega Charizard X is awesome in STSR. Any kind of Stealth Rock that isn't Rock is an improvement, as far as it's concerned, and Fire is one of the better contenders, and it resists and then double resists that

Getting the right kind of Rock up does have specific uses: I've appreciated being able to get Fire up against teams using Scizor as their Defogger, because if I ever get it below half-health and then set Fire Rocks, unless I Defog, Scizor is now out of the match, and usually they're unable to ever remove hazards as a result.

Honestly I think the bigger effect has been on things like: Skarmory is less appealing a hazard manager, because its own Stealth Rock is pretty sub-optimal, Hippowdon overall suffers because Stealth Rock+Ground attack is actually a decent combination (Sort of like Edgequake, but replacing Stone Edge with Stealth Rock) whereas now its Stealth Rock is redundant with its STAB, and Ferrothorn fulfills a very different role if you want to set Stealth Rock with it than in Standard, since Grass Stealth Rock pressures a completely different set of Pokemon.

The utility of setting multiple Stealth Rock types tends to drop off past two types, in my experience, as past that you're restricting your other move access too much, and against most teams you probably have a single preferred Stealth Rock type anyway. Occasionally you have one preferred for keeping a specific threat out, which is then un-preferred once it's dead. (I've put up Fire, dealt with Scizor, and then wanted to get Fairy up because everything left resists Fire and/or is vulnerable to Fairy, for instance)
The fun thing is is that when you use Defog and set up a different type of rock, or pressure them to Defog as your Bisharp can pull a double at any moment. Also Charizard X is like S+ now since everyone uses anything but Rock Rocks lol.

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I feel like different typed SR should stack, like Sticky Web, Spikes and Toxic Spikes do. Would it be to difficult to code, or is it just down to preference?

I feel like different typed SR should stack, like Sticky Web, Spikes and Toxic Spikes do. Would it be to difficult to code, or is it just down to preference?
it's actually around "ridiciously broken". Because you could ohko some pokemon with the right combination of rocks without even attacking them.

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
it's actually around "ridiciously broken". Because you could ohko some pokemon with the right combination of rocks without even attacking them.
Yeah, I can see that. Just curious, but how difficult would it be to code it in?

Building on this, I think if you built a team around rock stack + spikes + etc, by the end of it you'd only have one member left, just after switching. In fact, I feel like this would completely kill switching as a whole- especially given that your defogger dies after any prior damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)