Pokémon Sandaconda

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Sandaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun

Base Stats: 72 HP | 107 Atk | 125 Def | 65 SpA | 70 SpD | 71 Spe

Abilities: Sand Spit | Shed Skin | Sand Veil (H)

[Notable Moves]
- Coil
- Glare
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press

[New Ability]

Sand Spit:
The Pokémon creates a sandstorm when it's hit by an attack.

[Pros]

- Unique access to Shed Skin + Coil in the Galar dex
- One of the few Pokemon with access to Glare in the Galar dex
- Mono-Ground is a good defensive typing that compliments its physical bulk
- Signature ability, Sand Spit, provides a way of changing the weather that no other forms of weather have
- One of the few Pokemon with a Gigantamax form

[Cons]

- No recovery moves outside of Rest
- Shallow movepool
- Sub-par Special bulk
- Faces heavy competition from Hippowdon as a bulky Ground-type, which has more bulk, reliable recovery, and Whirlwind.

[Dynamaxing Potential]
- Generally, dynamaxing doesn't benefit defensive Pokemon. However, dynamaxing complements Sandaconda's Coil set nicely. Max Quake boosts its Special Defense, which makes it harder to take down once it has accumulated Defense boosts via Coil. If you use Body Press, Max Knuckle provides additional Attack boosts on top of those accumulated by Coil

- Sandaconda has access to a Gigantamax form. When Gigantamaxed, Ground-type attacks turn into G-Max Sandblast which traps the target in Sand Tomb. This prevents the target from switching for four or five turns and causes damage to the target equal to 1/8 of its maximum HP. This makes it easier to break through bulkier opponents.

[Potential Movesets]

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Earthquake / Drill Run
- Stone Edge / Body Press
- Rest

Coil boosts Sandaconda's great Attack and Defense stats further, along with boosting its accuracy. Earthquake is the preferred STAB move, though Drill Run has some merits. It has an increased critical hit ratio, meaning you have higher chances of haxing your way through Bulk Up / Coil wars since critical hits ignore defense boosts. Furthermore, Drill Run's damage isn't reduced by Grassy Terrain.

Stone Edge provides excellent neutral coverage alongside Earthquake, as only a few Pokemon in the Galar dex resist Ground + Rock coverage. It also benefits from Coil's accuracy boosting effect. Though the mechanics of Body Press are still not completely known at this time, it should work well with Sandaconda's base 125 DEF and Coil boosting its defense further. You'd also get access to Max Knuckle should you choose to Dynamax.

Rest is Sandaconda's only form of recovery. Rest's sleep duration can be shortened by Shed Skin. Thanks to Shed Skin, Sandaconda can be used as a status absorber for teams as well.

There may be more optimal EV spreads but this is the most straightforward. This set can make use of Dynamax and Gigantamax as described in the section above.

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Spit / Shed Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Glare
- Stealth Rock
- Protect / Rest

A physically defensive set is an option, though in most cases you'll be better off using Hippowdon. Glare and Sand Spit / Shed Skin help distinguish it from Hippowdon. Rest should be paired with Shed Skin, while Protect is better on Sand Spit sets for getting a turn of Leftovers recovery.

Last edited:
Although this shares similarities with hippodown, this feels like a much better bulky set up sweeper/status absorber instead of a stealth rock setter. Hippodown entirely outclasses it as a hazard setter because of whirlwind phasing, but I could see sandaconda functioning well as a repeated status absorber with capabilities to set up and sweep. Definitely feels like a headache for stall, since this bodies pex and ferro in the long run, although corsola-g is irritating as all hell for this.

I feel like there might be some kind of weather-reversal set with sand spit, but it being weak to the types prevelant on two of the three other weathers sucks a lot for it. Still, there might be something, even if it’s gimmicky and not great. Shed skin will definitely be it’s main set though.

My Sandaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun

Base Stats: 72 HP | 107 Atk | 125 Def | 65 SpA | 70 SpD | 71 Spe

Abilities: Sand Spit | Shed Skin | Sand Veil (H)

[Notable Moves]
- Coil
- Glare
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press

[New Ability]

Sand Spit:
The Pokémon creates a sandstorm when it's hit by an attack.

[Pros]

- Unique access to Shed Skin + Coil in the Galar dex
- One of the few Pokemon with access to Glare in the Galar dex
- Mono-Ground is a good defensive typing that compliments its physical bulk
- Signature ability, Sand Spit, provides a way of changing the weather that no other forms of weather have
- One of the few Pokemon with a Gigantamax form

[Cons]

- No recovery moves outside of Rest
- Shallow movepool
- Sub-par Special bulk
- Faces heavy competition from Hippowdon as a bulky Ground-type, which has more bulk, reliable recovery, and Whirlwind.

[Dynamaxing Potential]
- Generally, dynamaxing doesn't benefit defensive Pokemon. However, dynamaxing complements Sandaconda's Coil set nicely. Max Quake boosts its Special Defense, which makes it harder to take down once it has accumulated Defense boosts via Coil. If you use Body Press, Max Knuckle provides additional Attack boosts on top of those accumulated by Coil

- Sandaconda has access to a Gigantamax form. When Gigantamaxed, Ground-type attacks turn into G-Max Sandblast which traps the target in Sand Tomb. This prevents the target from switching for four or five turns and causes damage to the target equal to 1/8 of its maximum HP. This makes it easier to break through bulkier opponents.

[Potential Movesets]

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Earthquake / Drill Run
- Stone Edge / Body Press
- Rest

Coil boosts Sandaconda's great Attack and Defense stats further, along with boosting its accuracy. Earthquake is the preferred STAB move, though Drill Run has some merits. It has an increased critical hit ratio, meaning you have higher chances of haxing your way through Bulk Up / Coil wars since critical hits ignore defense boosts. Furthermore, Drill Run's damage isn't reduced by Grassy Terrain.

Stone Edge provides excellent neutral coverage alongside Earthquake, as only a few Pokemon in the Galar dex resist Ground + Rock coverage. It also benefits from Coil's accuracy boosting effect. Though the mechanics of Body Press are still not completely known at this time, it should work well with Sandaconda's base 125 DEF and Coil boosting its defense further. You'd also get access to Max Knuckle should you choose to Dynamax.

Rest is Sandaconda's only form of recovery. Rest's sleep duration can be shortened by Shed Skin. Thanks to Shed Skin, Sandaconda can be used as a status absorber for teams as well.

There may be more optimal EV spreads but this is the most straightforward. This set can make use of Dynamax and Gigantamax as described in the section above.

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Spit / Shed Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Glare
- Stealth Rock
- Protect / Rest

A physically defensive set is an option, though in most cases you'll be better off using Hippowdon. Glare and Sand Spit / Shed Skin help distinguish it from Hippowdon. Rest should be paired with Shed Skin, while Protect is better on Sand Spit sets for getting a turn of Leftovers recovery.
Holy cram, I totally forgot Shed Skin could heal sleep from Rest! And here I was thinking Coil Sandaconda was lacking a reliable recovery move! (Well, semi-reliable...)

Interesting. Wasnt thinking much of this guy till i saw shed skin can make rest leave faster. that could be quite interesting for sure.

I actually caught a G-max one the other day, and think it could work well. Have others seen which may be better, regular or G-max?

How many pokemon outright resist ground and rock moves this game? You said only a few but just curious on the exact ones.

Heck this pokemon could be insanely bulky. Have a grass terrain up and its just going to heal up any little damage tou can do to it. Drill run could replace eq then so you dont do less damage. I have a roserade with grassy terrain on my team already and like how it just adds more longevity to my team. Just got to watch out for boosted grass.moves but honestly grass seems like an uncomon attacking type, and i got a centiscortch to scare away any grass types.

How many pokemon outright resist ground and rock moves this game? You said only a few but just curious on the exact ones.
At the moment, the only EdgeQuake resists are Claydol, Flygon, and Levitate Bronzong (and their pre-evolutions). Virizion is apparently also coming at some point in the future. There's also Breloom, Chesnaught, and Torterra, but they're not in these games. And that's it I think.

At the moment, the only EdgeQuake resists are Claydol, Flygon, and Levitate Bronzong (and their pre-evolutions). Virizion is apparently also coming at some point in the future. There's also Breloom, Chesnaught, and Torterra, but they're not in these games. And that's it I think.
Thats quite small. I wonder though if going ground/fighting may be decent. Sure more resists you, but body press i feel could do some insane damage once you get a coil or 2 in. Would that be worth most flying types ignoring your damage?

I plan to use this guy for sure, it may not be on my current team, but this has gotten me excited for trying it out.

Just curious, anyone got some numbers on how tanky it gets after one or 2 coils? On phone so cant run showdown or a damage calc, but just wondering just how tanky this guy gets.

Seems terrible. But maybe something like Coil / Glare / edgequake could do work. Spam Glare early game then late game once your counters are crippled set up a Coil, then Dynamax and sweep via boosted sp def buffing max Earthquakes.

Although Hippowdon gets Curse right? Nvm just use that.

Although this shares similarities with hippodown, this feels like a much better bulky set up sweeper/status absorber instead of a stealth rock setter. Hippodown entirely outclasses it as a hazard setter because of whirlwind phasing, but I could see sandaconda functioning well as a repeated status absorber with capabilities to set up and sweep. Definitely feels like a headache for stall, since this bodies pex and ferro in the long run, although corsola-g is irritating as all hell for this.

I feel like there might be some kind of weather-reversal set with sand spit, but it being weak to the types prevelant on two of the three other weathers sucks a lot for it. Still, there might be something, even if it’s gimmicky and not great. Shed skin will definitely be it’s main set though.
I totally agree, Hippo gets phasing, instant sand, and has real reliable recovery. The only actual set this could run would be a coil set, and even then would it be that viable? Hard to really say, just seems so niche to me

One idea i had stewing for a while was Eject Button Sandaconda. With max moves firing left and right, its very possible your sand sweepers can be halted by climate change. Shoukd that happen, you switch in sandaconda, let it soak a hit, and then be able to pivot back into another threat to continue the onslaught.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
a priority move like quick attack, Rapid Spin, Shore up, Wring Out, Leech Life, Jaw Lock would make it very good.

How does it react to multi-hitting moves? every hit a new sandstorm and extra damage?

Glare rescues it with that it speed.

Trick room pokemon with Light screen support.

weird that sand spit activates Sandtorm and not Sand Tomb... But good against some flying types and leaves weather even if taken out.

So i've been playing around with this thing and comparing it too Hippodon, when i realized it carves a unique niche above all other weather setters this gen.
In terms of defensive sets, Hippodon is far superior. HOME Hippo gets toxic which is far better for a defensive set then Glare. That said, Sand Spit has very powerful unique niche in the gen 8 meta. Sand Spit triggers on hit, but like iron barbs, after secondary effects from an attack trigger. Furthermore, even if Sandaconda's hp stat hits zero, it will still activate. This means, if say a Dynamax pokemon set up rain with Max Geyser, Sand Spit will activate after the rain is set. Sandaconda cripples all other weather abilities in that you can always guarentee at least 1 turn of sand.

Enter the 3 Sand Rush users of gen 8, Excadrill, Dracovish, and Dracozolt. Excadrill needs no introduction, but the other two are very scary in sand due to their signature attacks Fishous Rend and Beak Bolt. The first is Water and second is Electric, both have a base 85 power with the ability to double base damage if the user would hit first or the opponent switches out. Currently Sand Rush is unavailable for these two, but even so this will be huge down the line given that the current big threats are Water and Flying types under Dynamax. For reference, an Adamant Dracozolt scarf outspeeds a +3 speed Gyarados in the sand and will guarentee a ko against Dynamax form with Bolt Beak.

All of the above mons are powerful in the sand and can even outrun most +1 mons while in sand. So sacking the snake isnt a bad thing if it means you can immeditly remove threats like Gyarados and Barraskewda. That said, i think Sandaconda shines at being an offensive mon meant weaken defensive/offensive targets. With access to nearly every Ground move in Gen 8, as well as coverage like Fire fang for dealing with Ferrothorn, rather than letting Sandaconda be the win con, it can wear down your opponents walls with it's decent movepool. Should you ever need to Dynmax it, the Gmax form adds even more chip damage to the set.

Still working on fine tuning stats, but a rough mock up would be.
252 HP/252 Attack/ 4 Spdef
Nature: Adament
Earthquake/ High Horse Power
Stone Edge/Rock Tomb
Fire Fang
Glare/ Stealth Rock

Sandaconda isnt out for the long hall, its meant to deal damage and go down. If it lives a turn or two, great. that means it can get off rocks or spread paralysis. But what you really want to do is make sure that this goes out against a sweeper. If they try to set up on you, Glare. If they fail to ko you, free damage. If you get one shot, you guarantee a turn of sand against anything bar Galarian Wheezing with Neutralizing Gas.

The only use I see for this is a low tier sand setter, but I think it will be fun down there with coil and glare as good options. It has lots of 'cool' points, such as a interesting way to set sand and the elusive 100% acc normal type para, or shed skin rest, but none of those lift it above mediocrity in my opinion. I'll see you later, sandaconda, in a lower tier where 'cool' but bad pokemon thrive.

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
204 HP 252 Defense 48 SpD
0 Attack IV
Shed Skin/Sand Spit
Bold nature
Glare
Stealth Rock
Body Press
Iron Defense/Substitute

204 HP hits a leftovers number (336 HP). Max Defense boosts survivability from phyiscal attacks with the remainder in Special Defense.

Iron Defense boosts the power of Body Press as well as reducing physical attack damage,

Either ability is fine. Iron Defens +Shed Skin can heal status in the event sandacona recieves it. Substitute + sand spit is a viable alternative as it adds chip damage as well as providing rock types the free +1 to sp.def.

I'm still working on this but its a thought.

This thing is gonna be like quagsire IMO. a good pokemon but one that ends up in the lower tiers due to its niche usage. Sandaconda def has some powerful anti weather capabilities and utility to back it up but unless weather teams is every team in OU gen 5 style, this thing wont be OU. Dont be shocked to see it in OU games though, its not a simple mon to pilot but it gets the job done.

Kickassin666

Banned deucer.
Now that dyna is banned, this mon has lost its magic, as the sp def boost from quake was v imp for me to sweep with this mon. Its basically unbeatable if you get that sp def boost plus def boosts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)