Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Yeah, been experimenting with breeding Issuians (as I like to keep regionals and side evolutions in Repeat Balls); Ball transfer is as it has always been, regional form breeding still requires Everstone to get non-natives from eggs, White stripe Basculin is not counted as a regional and breeds like the other Basculin forms, and, so far, I've been unable to get Hidden Abilities from non-regional fatherss into regional offspring: Justified male Kanto Arcanine x female Hissuian Arcanine (with Everstone) did not yield Rock Head Hissuian Growlithe. I was able to get HA Galarian Farfetch'd with a HA Kantonian Farfetch'd and a Ditto in Sword, so I'm not sure if this is new or standard breeding behaviour.
From bulbapedia...
From Generation VI onward, if a female Pokémon, or any Pokémon bred with Ditto, has a Hidden Ability, there is a 60% chance that its offspring will have its Hidden Ability.
So Farfetch'd worked (and, from my experience, my Geodude, Corsola and Meowth) because you bred with a Ditto. Growlithe isnt working because the father doesnt pass it without Ditto

Ah, gotcha; gotta try male regional w/everstone x female with HA, to see if it works, seeing it is same species breeding.

part of me really wants to test if shelter has some hidden effect but I can't test half the things I want to test
tested if there are any effects going first, there are none
going second, none
other stuff i want to test is if it had any interaction with secondary effects, and if it has any effect towards status effects and finally if it does anything with stat changes

answers are likely going to be "it really is just a worse acid armor" but I still want to test it cause its weird for one of the hisui moves to be a worse version of an already existing move

I would like someone to double check my maths, 'cause it looks like Transistor has been nerfed (I'm also unable to check Dragon Maw myself, not owning a Regidrago)
I had a lv31 Ditto transform into my Eleki (299 Spa, 137 SpDef) and then let it thunderbolt me 5 times
The damage values where 49, 50, 48, 48, 48
(clip of the first dmg roll )
But when I tried to work out the expected damage, in a very basic spreadsheet, with transistor set to x1.5, I calced it to be 53 on the minimum roll
But 46 was the min roll when I tried setting the multiplier to ~1.3x (same as sheer force)
1685837714998.png

1685837771921.png

edit: adding link to the sheet that has some sample rolls against wild ditto of various levels
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pH-iDjDsVWn3PJFlEbEEhBawmF7yIlo0c6hQqbjoLko/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I haven't played with the damage formula too much, but it looked like the formula was implemented correctly in your spreadsheet; the attack / defense calc was in a weird place but that shouldn't throw off anything with the order of operations, I think?

With your post, I copied all of the variables in your spreadsheet, tested this vs a wild Ditto with my Regidrago, and tried to see if Dragon's Maw had been potentially nerfed too. Here are my results letting it smack me with Dragon Claw. As far as I can tell, it still seems to be at the x1.5 multiplier. I hit the max damage for x.15 even while testing.

1685842913769.png

I'll go out and test with my own Regieleki now to see if I'm also getting rolls in your ballpark.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Charlotte and I tested Transistor damage rolls in a link battle. My Cresselia's HP is 381 and its Special Defense is 303 (Calm, no EVs), and it is not holding an item.

Our rolls:
142, 147, 130, 142, 132, 130, 138, 126, 141, 127, 126, 142, 144, 126
(lowest roll 126, highest roll 147)

The damage calculator's rolls:
252 SpA Transistor Regieleki Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0+ SpD Cresselia: 144-169 (37.7 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Possible damage amounts: (144, 145, 147, 148, 150, 151, 153, 154, 157, 159, 160, 162, 163, 165, 166, 169)

We think this is 1.3x, but we're DEFINITELY certain it's not 1.5x any more.

I also don't own a Regidrago. TheMantyke is cool and good for testing Dragon's Maw.

Last edited:

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
But when I tried to work out the expected damage, in a very basic spreadsheet, with transistor set to x1.5, I calced it to be 53 on the minimum roll
But 46 was the min roll when I tried setting the multiplier to ~1.3x (same as sheer force)
We think this is 1.3x, but we're DEFINITELY certain it's not 1.5x any more.
Just tested the Regieleki stuff with my same Regidrago spreadsheet. I have results concurrent with what you all are finding for a x1.3ish multiplier.
I checked and you guys are right. Transistor's modifier is exactly 5325/4096 to attack.

What are the odds of each status procing for dire claw without poison touch? Does each status have about ~16.67% to activate or do they have different odds?

What are the odds of each status procing for dire claw without poison touch? Does each status have about ~16.67% to activate or do they have different odds?
Each status has an equal chance to my knowledge, no accounting for order of roll if any though (i.e. Roll 16.67% Poison, if no Poison then roll Paralyze, etc) which could slightly skew the frequency of them over a large enough sample size.

Hello, have a very niche interaction that I wanted to look into: Utility Umbrella does NOT affect Sun-activated Protosynthesis.
edit: I'm also only seeing now that this was already answered by pyuk, oops.

A Protosynthesis user holding Utility Umbrella that uses Sunny Day or switches in on sun will display a message that Protosynthesis activated and receive a stat boost.
A Protosynthesis user that has had Protosynthesis activated does not lose the existing stat boost after receiving Utility Umbrella through Trick.

Lv. 56 Scream Tail holding Utility Umbrella, 143 Atk stat
(Atk is its highest stat)

Scream Tail uses Sunny Day
Iron Bundle 136 HP, 133 Def stats
Psychic Fangs deal 85 damage
Calculated range without Protosynthesis: 57-67
Calculated range with Protosynthesis: 75-88

Scream Tail uses Trick, Sunny Day, Trick
Iron Bundle: 148 HP, 151 Def stats
Psychic Fangs deal 67 damage
Calculated range without Protosynthesis: 51-60
Calculated range with Protosynthesis: 66-78

Last edited:

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Wanted to ask around since there didn't seem to be a whole lot of info on the matter.
Is Greninja with Battle Bond obtainable in current SV?

RoiDadadou

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded.
is a Pre-Contributor
Abilities aren't reset; or in the case of BB Greninja, turned into a different species internally.

I even went to my own Battle Bond Greninja, put it in Scarlet, and confirmed that Battle Bond is not a special exception.
Oh, nice.

You can see the Arceus form on preview. I was playing a ton of link battles on switch and I was shocked to find this out. I took screenshots of this on my switch, and since I have no idea how to share these pictures I just took a picture of these screenshots with my phone:

Arceus-Normal:
IMG_20230619_120320.jpg
IMG_20230619_120314.jpg
IMG_20230619_120314 copy.jpg

Arceus-Poison:
IMG_20230619_120303.jpg
IMG_20230619_120253.jpg
IMG_20230619_120253 copy.jpg

Arceus-Fire:
IMG_20230619_120326.jpg
IMG_20230619_120326 copy.jpg
(opp forfieted before sending Arceus-Fire out)

You can clearly see the different colors on preview here. Btw if anyone's up for Ubers Wifi battles contact me please!

You can see the Arceus form on preview. I was playing a ton of link battles on switch and I was shocked to find this out. I took screenshots of this on my switch, and since I have no idea how to share these pictures I just took a picture of these screenshots with my phone:

Arceus-Normal:
View attachment 527343View attachment 527344View attachment 527346
Arceus-Poison:
View attachment 527345View attachment 527347View attachment 527348
Arceus-Fire:
View attachment 527349View attachment 527350(opp forfieted before sending Arceus-Fire out)

You can clearly see the different colors on preview here. Btw if anyone's up for Ubers Wifi battles contact me please!
So the Urshifu thing makes even less sense then.

Given the new effect of Illuminate (disallows changes to Accuracy) makes it very close to Keen Eye, could it be tested if it also gains Keen Eye's effect of ignoring Evasion modifiers? Obv this would involve changing a mon ability since there's no Illuminate mons in Paldea at present

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)