Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

i have a couple of questions for those who have been able to modify their saves.

1. does samurotts ceaseless edge set up regular spikes, or are they a unique dark type hazard? gmax copperajah's hazard were referred to as spikes in the move description so i'm curious if it's the same.
2. does urshifu's unseen fist ability still do 100% damage through protect or has it been nerfed in any way?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Re: Population Bomb, so what if it has 10|10 in the minimum and maximum hit fields? Triple Kick and Triple Axel have always had 3|3 in those fields and Beat Up has 6|6. Do those moves always hit the maximum number of times? No.

Please put some objective thought into what you're reading and don't blindly trust what clout chasers on Twitter have to say. :blobthumbsup:

I would like to request an investigation into the trigger mechanism of Anger Point. There's an unsubstantiated claim that activation is no longer dependent solely on receiving critical hits, suggesting that stat drops (in particular, speed debuffs) can also procure the attack boost; given that this would certainly have competitive implications, it seems worthy of verification.

Last edited:
I would like to request anyone who has an Ability Patch to see if Regenerator is nerfed or stayed the same.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I would like to request an investigation into the trigger mechanism of Anger Point. There's an unsubstantiated claim that activation is no longer dependent solely on receiving critical hits, suggesting that stat drops (in particular, speed debuffs) can also procure the attack boost; given that this would certainly have competitive implications, it seems worthy of verification.
I can guarantee using Scary Face against an Anger Point Tauros does nothing, so that claim smells like bullshit (unfortunately).

Their effects are not stat drops and most likely not something Clear Body would prevent, as it is p much the item version of that ability.

Just gonna link what I've already researched and that I'll get to the stuff I haven't got to yet eventually.

Otherwise try to keep this thread to stuff you want answers to or can definitely answer with a source. Commenting on research and its effect on competitive is just clutter.
Well, sadly I dont have a source; I was trying to see if it could be verified here, as until then its just a rumor. Ill take this into account for future questions.

Opportunist: Is there a cap to how many times this ability triggers within a turn? Example: 2 Espartha's are facing each other, each with Opportunist. One uses Calm Mind, triggering the other's ability, raising its stats. Does this cause a loop until both are completely maxed out, or is there is a limit to how may times it can copy stats from the opponent? In addition, if an Espartha were to hold a Mirror Herb, which of the 2 would take priority, the ability or the item?
View attachment 464593
method: tera bug the bug type, hit a wild mon with stab bug bite. catch it, see how much damage it did and what the def stat is. put it into damage calc and see what bp makes the damage make sense. repeat as needed to get more damage rolls. ended up seeing damage ranges of 84-103 bp and 66-83 bp which is clearly impossible, but indicates that there was some rounding shenanigans going on (and that the bp was around low 80s). all of the damage rolls worked with 60 bp bug bite + adaptability.

probably should have someone else run some more tests as i've only done about a dozen, but i've seen what i'm pretty sure are min and max rolls and i'd be very surprised if the multiplier was anything but 4/3 (2x total stab bonus).

Looks like you were right on the money, Nails. Great work.

I've recieved an interesting report about Rage Fist: the power it recieves from being hit lasts the entire battle, even if switched out or fainted.
no idea if this was answered but is there confirmation that annihilape retains rage fist's power increases when it switches out?

How does tera work with burn up/double shock?

Does the mon lose its typing?
Does it lose the full 2x stab?
Is it back to 1.5x?
If its back in 1.5x can it use burn up/double shock again?

how much hp does fillet away take away is 50% like belly drum or 33% like clangerous soul or just some other random number
\/
Can't confirm because I don't have a HA version myself, but Filet Away might be "boosted" by Sharpness: Instead of taking 50% HP when used by a Mold Breaker variant, it takes away 75% HP when used by a trainer who had one with Sharpness. Despite this, it still only boosts Atk/SpA/Spe by 2 stages each. Wack.

How does Raging Bull work? Is its type hardcoded based on Tauros' form or does it vary based on the Pokémon's type, similar to Revelation Dance (but based on secondary type I guess)? How does it interact with Terastal?

I've recieved an interesting report about Rage Fist: the power it recieves from being hit lasts the entire battle, even if switched out or fainted.

Context: someone sacked their Annihilape against a garchomp, revived it with a Max Revive, and then brought it back out. Rage Fist then 1 shot the Garchomp.

I was also curious about how Rage Fist interacts with Punching Glove, since we can assume punching glove is a multiplier boost, does it continuously stack with Rage Fist's continuous boosts? If so, does it even have a power cap?

If we can verify these things wuth our researchers Id appreciate it.
So, if switching out and fainting don't reset Rage Fist's power, what does reset this move's power exactly? Does Rage Fist's power reset on-use? Is there some other way to reset it?

Ema Skye

Work!
Has anyone tested Shed Tail to see how much HP the substitute has? I know it costs 50% to make the sub but does the sub actually have the same HP as 50% of the move's user, or is it 25% like normal subs.

Like if a 300HP Cyclizar uses the move, it obviously takes 150HP to make the substitute. But does the sub actually have 150HP or is it 75HP like normal subs.

Requesting the % modifier of the Dark-type legendaries Ruin abilities, it's been days since the rom dropped and we've had no confirmation on how much their abilities nerf the stats of pokemon around them.
That and Punching Glove remain the two great unknowns, but I think someone in the other thread tested the auras and concluded that the stat drop is about 25%.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
I'm going to start infracting anyone who talks about the implications of battle mechanics on the viability of Pokemon and such. Stop it, it's literally the first line in the OP. It makes it very obnoxious for people who actually want to do research to be able to find things to test, not to mention the people who are trying to implement the findings.

----------

There are at least five new move flags, listed below - what are they for? Please no wild speculation for these; some may very well be unused because the grouping of moves is so unrelated.
Recover
Soft-Boiled
Rest
Milk Drink
Morning Sun
Synthesis
Moonlight
Swallow
Wish
Slack Off
Roost
Shore Up
Life Dew
Jungle Healing
Lunar Blessing
Whirlwind
Sand Attack
Tail Whip
Leer
Growl
Roar
Sing
Supersonic
Disable
Leech Seed
Poison Powder
Stun Spore
Sleep Powder
String Shot
Thunder Wave
Toxic
Hypnosis
Mimic
Screech
Smokescreen
Confuse Ray
Poison Gas
Lovely Kiss
Spore
Flash
Cotton Spore
Spite
Scary Face
Sweet Kiss
Spikes
Lock-On
Charm
Swagger
Mean Look
Attract
Encore
Sweet Scent
Torment
Flatter
Will-O-Wisp
Memento
Taunt
Helping Hand
Trick
Role Play
Yawn
Skill Swap
Grudge
Snatch
Feather Dance
Fake Tears
Metal Sound
Tickle
Block
Healing Wish
Acupressure
Embargo
Psycho Shift
Heal Block
Power Trick
Gastro Acid
Copycat
Power Swap
Worry Seed
Toxic Spikes
Heart Swap
Switcheroo
Stealth Rock
Dark Void
Guard Split
Power Split
Soak
Simple Beam
Entrainment
After You
Heal Pulse
Quash
Reflect Type
Bestow
Sticky Web
Trick-or-Treat
Forest’s Curse
Parting Shot
Topsy-Turvy
Electrify
Fairy Lock
Play Nice
Confide
Aromatic Mist
Eerie Impulse
Venom Drench
Hold Hands
Baby-Doll Eyes
Floral Healing
Strength Sap
Speed Swap
Purify
Instruct
Tearful Look
Tar Shot
Magic Powder
Teatime
Octolock
Court Change
Decorate
Life Dew
Corrosive Gas
Coaching
Power Shift
Spicy Extract
Revival Blessing
Salt Cure
Guillotine
Twineedle
Submission
Fissure
Guillotine
Mega Kick
Horn Drill
Sing
Blizzard
Poison Powder
Stun Spore
Sleep Powder
Thunder
Hypnosis
Egg Bomb
Smog
Lovely Kiss
Sweet Kiss
Zap Cannon
Dynamic Punch
Iron Tail
Grass Whistle
Sheer Cold
Dragon Rush
Focus Blast
Magma Storm
Dark Void
Inferno
Hurricane
Bleakwind Storm
Wildbolt Storm
Sandsear Storm
Guillotine
Horn Drill
Thunder Wave
Toxic
Confuse Ray
Glare

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Toxic Debris: Scatters poison spikes at the feet of the opposing team when the Pokémon takes damage from physical moves.

Just want to confirm that this is indeed physical moves. Bulldoze activates the ability even though it makes no contact.

I'm going to start infracting anyone who talks about the implications of battle mechanics on the viability of Pokemon and such. Stop it, it's literally the first line in the OP. It makes it very obnoxious for people who actually want to do research to be able to find things to test, not to mention the people who are trying to implement the findings.

----------

There are at least five new move flags, listed below - what are they for? Please no wild speculation for these; some may very well be unused because the grouping of moves is so unrelated.
Recover
Soft-Boiled
Rest
Milk Drink
Morning Sun
Synthesis
Moonlight
Swallow
Wish
Slack Off
Roost
Shore Up
Life Dew
Jungle Healing
Lunar Blessing
Whirlwind
Sand Attack
Tail Whip
Leer
Growl
Roar
Sing
Supersonic
Disable
Leech Seed
Poison Powder
Stun Spore
Sleep Powder
String Shot
Thunder Wave
Toxic
Hypnosis
Mimic
Screech
Smokescreen
Confuse Ray
Poison Gas
Lovely Kiss
Spore
Flash
Cotton Spore
Spite
Scary Face
Sweet Kiss
Spikes
Lock-On
Charm
Swagger
Mean Look
Attract
Encore
Sweet Scent
Torment
Flatter
Will-O-Wisp
Memento
Taunt
Helping Hand
Trick
Role Play
Yawn
Skill Swap
Grudge
Snatch
Feather Dance
Fake Tears
Metal Sound
Tickle
Block
Healing Wish
Acupressure
Embargo
Psycho Shift
Heal Block
Power Trick
Gastro Acid
Copycat
Power Swap
Worry Seed
Toxic Spikes
Heart Swap
Switcheroo
Stealth Rock
Dark Void
Guard Split
Power Split
Soak
Simple Beam
Entrainment
After You
Heal Pulse
Quash
Reflect Type
Bestow
Sticky Web
Trick-or-Treat
Forest’s Curse
Parting Shot
Topsy-Turvy
Electrify
Fairy Lock
Play Nice
Confide
Aromatic Mist
Eerie Impulse
Venom Drench
Hold Hands
Baby-Doll Eyes
Floral Healing
Strength Sap
Speed Swap
Purify
Instruct
Tearful Look
Tar Shot
Magic Powder
Teatime
Octolock
Court Change
Decorate
Life Dew
Corrosive Gas
Coaching
Power Shift
Spicy Extract
Revival Blessing
Salt Cure
Guillotine
Twineedle
Submission
Fissure
Guillotine
Mega Kick
Horn Drill
Sing
Blizzard
Poison Powder
Stun Spore
Sleep Powder
Thunder
Hypnosis
Egg Bomb
Smog
Lovely Kiss
Sweet Kiss
Zap Cannon
Dynamic Punch
Iron Tail
Grass Whistle
Sheer Cold
Dragon Rush
Focus Blast
Magma Storm
Dark Void
Inferno
Hurricane
Bleakwind Storm
Wildbolt Storm
Sandsear Storm
Guillotine
Horn Drill
Thunder Wave
Toxic
Confuse Ray
Glare
I'm not sure if this is something that can easily be checked (somehow unflag the flag and try it...?), but Flag 2 being entirely status moves makes me wonder if it's related Toedscool's ability (the Status-only mold breaker but negative prioity). Like instead of checking for Status, it for some reason checks for the Flag

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)