SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

These seem to somewhat confirm each other (there's at least a base for Centro's claims) and we've speculated a lot on what exactly is different about Protean. Common consensus is that it works similarly to Color Change, meaning that you only switch typing after a move has been used, but we don't know for sure yet. There might be more out there but we're not exactly a sleuthing community and mostly just get updates whenever someone feels like posting about it.
Centro is just paraphrasing Khu so it's the same claims from the same source.

1666140787167.png

Khu replied "You are smart" to someone guessing Intrepid Sword, and this tweet has him saying "So smart" to a 4chan post guessing that it activates once per battle. There's nothing to suggest other abilities have been nerfed the same way yet but it's been a common and enduring myth to attribute the same claim to Intimidate and Regenerator for some reason.

The Protean nerf comes from this tweet "変 幻 自 在 弱 体 化" where 変幻自在 is Protean and 弱体化 is weaken.

As for bugs, Khu mentioned there being a bug in the day 1 patch where raid bosses can almost instantly die so that's something.
Personally I'm iffy on the mice actually getting Parental Bond. On one hand he directly tweeted (png) its Chinese name which is pretty blatant, but it was as a description which he always just posted 2 related words about each mon so it could just be describing it being a family, but if any mon would get it again this would make sense.

Is there any info on the game structure? The official info pushing the three paths has me concerned since I'm not currently interested in 2/3.
I'm really liking the potential typings that we've seen. Has anyone leaked how the open world nature of the games will work? If it's actually open-world and we can put our teams together relatively quickly, that's going to be a wild experience.

Fuecoco start for sure, but everything else is still up in the air.
Kaka talked a bit about this. I don't remember much being explained about how the three story routes work but the main endgame is locked behind finishing all three of them.
Kaka mentioned that the stories don't scale to levels and gave a recommended gym and titan order in terms of levels. You can technically fight them in any order, but for example a late gym is blocked off by either HM/riding progression and/or going through high level wilds.
1666141407410.png
1666141416362.png

Apparently you can also take the champion interview without any badges but you will always fail.

Shoutouts to the pokemon code cracking discord for archiving most kaka tweets as he is pretty flaky and private.

I'm curious how paradox pokemon are going to be named, since they apparently do have new names/their own dex slot. As far as I know, have no clear info on that. All the descriptions have me imagining some cross between regional forms and ultra beasts, which is promising. Volcarona is also my favorite pokemon so I hope I love both of its new forms
At the least Khu and Kaka have noted that the future mons will have tetsu/iron in front of their names in Japanese and Chinese (铁), though in English it might be something more interesting like how we got Wiglett instead of sea Diglett.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
*a long, exhausted drag of a cigarette*

you really treating ursaluna, wyrdeer & kleavor as non-standard evolutions huh, gamefreak
We don't know that for sure

From what Khu has implied, they're apparently still able to be obtainable in game but won't be needed for the regional dex? Its left as very confusing but definitely nothing set in stone

I wonder if Gengar being one of the most popular Pokemon ever is reason why they keep Ghost/Poison exclusive to Gengar, maybe because they feel that it will be less special without its typing?
Gengar is as important as Pikachu and Charizard since its on the box of Pokemon Red, along with Cubone, Snorlax, Sandshrew, and Meowth (latter 2 being ingame screenshot), and it’s pretty cool how all these Pokemon got a gimmick related to them later on.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
*a long, exhausted drag of a cigarette*

you really treating ursaluna, wyrdeer & kleavor as non-standard evolutions huh, gamefreak
For whatever it's worth Pokemon Go recently added Ursaluna and they're not doing any weird shit there, it just evolves from Ursaring when the conditions are met. I think Game Freak just doesn't want anything from Hisui in the game to squeeze out a few more PLA sales, remember this is the company that once upon a time locked the Razor Fang to the Battle Frontier in HGSS and just straight up didn't implement the Icy/Moss Rock in those games either

We don't know that for sure

From what Khu has implied, they're apparently still able to be obtainable in game but won't be needed for the regional dex? Its left as very confusing but definitely nothing set in stone
My thing, is this: there is no reason for them to not be in the regional dex (which is more or less what this information is based on because they have direct information for that) if you can just evolve them

2 of them require items, 1 requires a move. If the items are freely available, and the move as well, there's about as much reason to exclude them as excluding, i dunno, Scizor or whoever strikes your fancy.

I think if they're available "in game" it will at best be through some sort of trade, for them specifically. That's seemingly how Perrserker works; you can get a galrian meowth through trade, but it and perrserker aren't in the dex. Basically, they're still being treated as regional evolutions. You can obtain them, but.....well. Through specific sources.

Sometimes the most straightforward answer feels like the more likely possibility? if I'm wrong and they're just arbitrarily not in the dex but otherwise readily available, cool. Glad to be wrong! That'll be dumb in a different way but it's a better dumb than the tiring idea of never being able to use the full ursaring line or farigiraf in the future. But until then I'm just going with the expectation of they're not doing that as I beeline for Girafarig.

For whatever it's worth Pokemon Go recently added Ursaluna and they're not doing any weird shit there, it just evolves from Ursaring when the conditions are met.
that's nice to know, at least.

Still mad they said bellibolt was going to be electric/fairy and then it turned out pure electric

quick edit: I kinda assume they want to keep the legend evos to the legend games since theyre meant to be extinct/lost forms, so we can get them transfered but not evolve them. I'm more on the camp of "if theyre meant to be legends only then dont make them transferable" but I don't think thats a popular opinion

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
My thing, is this: there is no reason for them to not be in the regional dex (which is more or less what this information is based on because they have direct information for that) if you can just evolve them

2 of them require items, 1 requires a move. If the items are freely available, and the move as well, there's about as much reason to exclude them as excluding, i dunno, Scizor or whoever strikes your fancy.

I think if they're available "in game" it will at best be through some sort of trade, for them specifically. That's seemingly how Perrserker works; you can get a galrian meowth through trade, but it and perrserker aren't in the dex. Basically, they're still being treated as regional evolutions. You can obtain them, but.....well. Through specific sources.

Sometimes the most straightforward answer feels like the more likely possibility? if I'm wrong and they're just arbitrarily not in the dex but otherwise readily available, cool. Glad to be wrong! That'll be dumb in a different way but it's a better dumb than the tiring idea of never being able to use the full ursaring line or farigiraf in the future. But until then I'm just going with the expectation of they're not doing that as I beeline for Girafarig.
One more thing to consider: Evo items being added in the DLC. It's an idea I've heard tossed around and it'd make sense if like I said they just wanna hold off to get some last-minute PLA sales

For whatever it's worth Pokemon Go recently added Ursaluna and they're not doing any weird shit there, it just evolves from Ursaring when the conditions are met. I think Game Freak just doesn't want anything from Hisui in the game to squeeze out a few more PLA sales, remember this is the company that once upon a time locked the Razor Fang to the Battle Frontier in HGSS and just straight up didn't implement the Icy/Moss Rock in those games either
Incidentally Ursaluna will still require a full moon to evolve in Pokemon GO to be faithful for half of the requirement. It won't even be a full moon on the Teddiursa event day, so they're just going to add a fake full moon in the game to let you evolve it for that day.
1666146159413.png

Haven't seen this mentioned yet but we talked a fair bit about it in capcord: it appears there's some balance changes coming alongside S/V and though we know little about what is changing or how, there's still some stuff heard.

View attachment 459504

(titan is the codename for the games iirc)

View attachment 459505
View attachment 459506

These seem to somewhat confirm each other (there's at least a base for Centro's claims) and we've speculated a lot on what exactly is different about Protean. Common consensus is that it works similarly to Color Change, meaning that you only switch typing after a move has been used, but we don't know for sure yet. There might be more out there but we're not exactly a sleuthing community and mostly just get updates whenever someone feels like posting about it.

Some other stuff off the top of my head not yet mentioned here:
  • Terra Blast has been deduced to have a BP of 60 based off trailer footage
  • The new "mouse family" Pokemon apparently has Parental Bond as an ability
  • Apparently the games have a lot of glitches/performance issues (khu even stated that he'd describe titan as having the bug/dark typing) though this all could just be because the game wasn't fully finished then
If there's any other cool ability/move/mechanic stuff being throw around lmk it's the main thing I'm interested in right now
Fingers crossed that Regenerator and Intimidate are among the abilities that will only activate once per battle.

Fingers crossed that Regenerator and Intimidate are among the abilities that will only activate once per battle.
Disagree. Intimidate and Regenerator being able to be activated multiple times per match makes using them quite fun and can allow for a lot of creative plays / counterplays that would otherwise not be possible. If these were one-time use abilities, it would kill several strategies, which is something I don't want. It would arguably be more damaging than, say, changing weather abilities to being one time use.

I understand there is an arguement that Regenerator and Intimidate are quite strong relative to other abilities, but I'd rather have other abilities be buffed to be on par with Regenerator or Intimidate than have them be nerfed.

Honestly they should halve regenerators effect, I feel like it would still be a good ability but not straight up broken like it is now
Honestly no, this would completely kill both abilities. In general there's probably no way to nerf Intimidate without making it suck balls. Regen tho if necessary could have its HP gain reduced, perhaps to 25%?
What they could do is make Regenerator like Leftovers but while being off the field. It makes more sense thematically and fixes the issue of Regenerator cores spamming switching.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I feel like there is a massive difference between "so good its one of the main reason both forms of this mon are AG and its been a complete menace in VGC" Inteprid Sword vs "good ability, maybe even meta-defining, but doesn't immediately break a mon and has its counterplay methods" intimidate/regen

Specially true for Regen cause switching out is way less of a deal in both BSS and VCG - GameFreak has no reson to nerf Regen looking though the lens of their official formats (and frankly as annoying as it is to face, even in Smogon formats Regen doesn't really deserve a nerf).

As for Intim, it did get nerfs in Gen 8 already through multiple abilities directly countering it. And as pointed out earlier, only Intrepid Sword was said to activate once per battle - while other abilities may be getting nerfs, none of them are explicitly said to also only activate once per battle.

• Terra Blast has been deduced to have a BP of 60 based off trailer footage
That's not confirmed. Cross-posting from the other thread:

That's not confirmed. If the Drifloon in the trailer had higher atk than special atk(possible with nature alone), then Tera Blast would be physical. If Klawf has a Graveler-like stat spread, then you can get the same results as we saw with a base-100 Terablast. That's a lot of cleverness for this trailer to use hiding something like that, but it's possible.

The other possibility is that there's a mechanic we don't know about in these battles, where the mon survives on a sliver and runs no matter what, forcing you to defeat it multiple times. That honestly seems more plausible than my math solution.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I'm glad it appears we're getting so many unused type combos and ones that were exclusive to Legends/Mythicals. I've been wanting an Electric/Fighting and Grass/Fire type for a long time.
In case you're curious, these will be the remaining unused type combos after launch:
Normal/Ice
Normal/Bug
Normal/Rock
Normal/Steel
Fire/Fairy
Ice/Poison
Ground/Fairy
Bug/Dragon
Rock/Ghost

Fighting/Ground and Fighting/Fairy are possibly on this list with both having Pokemon thought to be those types but not decisively known. Either way it's getting down to the wire at this point, not much left that isn't overly esoteric Normal combos

IDK, if they didn't want Intimidate to be so good in Doubles, maybe they should have chosen to not allow Incineroar, the best Intimidate user, in the game (balance was a supposed purpose of Dexit)...
...or barring that, they definitely shouldn't buff Incineroar by giving it an even better pivot move. There's no way they'd do that, right? Right?

As for Intim, it did get nerfs in Gen 8 already through multiple abilities directly countering it.
TBH, the fact that some abilities were randomly made to block Intimidate has always annoyed me and I'd rather have had no change made to Intimidate than to do such an arbitrary change. Tacking an immunity to one ability onto four completely unrelated other abilities is just way too specific.
In general there's probably no way to nerf Intimidate without making it suck balls.
One possible idea I had was to make Fighting-types immune to Intimidate, as an analog to Dark-types being immune to Prankster moves. Wouldn't do much if the Tapus were still around, but at least it's less arbitrary than tacking it on to some other random abilities. But honestly, I don't even consider Intimidate to be that much of a problem. It's mainly just Incineroar and Landorus-T that are so strong. I know that Arcanine was very common in VGC17, but it was up against a significantly weaker meta (it only reached 34% usage in the very first Gen 8 VGC meta for this reason).

In case you're curious, these will be the remaining unused type combos after launch:
Normal/Ice
Normal/Bug
Normal/Rock
Normal/Steel
Fire/Fairy
Ice/Poison
Ground/Fairy
Bug/Dragon
Rock/Ghost

Fighting/Ground and Fighting/Fairy are possibly on this list with both having Pokemon thought to be those types but not decisively known. Either way it's getting down to the wire at this point, not much left that isn't overly esoteric Normal combos
does this mean type combos are running out and we need a hidden 19th/20th typing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)