SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

So has there been any more EV training updates ? Or is the let's go feature how we will ev train our pokemon fast ?
If vitamins work like gen 8, then you can just buy 25 vitamins and use 2 stat wings to max out a given EV
This plus if memory doesn't fail me, pokemon do get exp/EV from the let's go function so that's another pretty mindless way to train EVs (feel free to correct me on this one)

I simply prefer it when all the content in a game is fully fleshed out. And if they can’t fully flesh out an idea, save it for later and develop on it.
They've done it in the past. This is a fallacy, because we don't know if they are doing this because the "idea isn't fully fleshed out" or just because they simply want to sell it apart on DLC. You are answering me with a "i prefer a finished game than a broken game even if we've to wait" but that's not the starting point. The starting point is them deleting the third legendary from the base game. And that in itself, without further knowledge of the reasons behind, is negative.

I know YOU don’t care about the lore and world-building apparently, but I do.
I care about the lore to the point I've been translating it since I was 15yo. My room is filled with book and story arts -officials and unofficial-, im a backer of half the projects that have been released concerning lore of the souls series -you can see my nick in the thanks section of the recent Souls Arts, for example- and I'm the translator of The Paleblood Hunt, a book containing more than 100 pages of Bloodborne lore and exists in only 2 languages, english (the original) and spanish (translated by me). So, I do care about lore and world-building like, a lot. It's a passion.

But it has nothing to do with what we are discussing here. One thing is what I like, and another thing is what I expect. Pokémon, as much as I like its lore, backstory and literature, is not about that. It has a massive community that contributes to these aspects of the games, but Pokémon games, in general, surely lack of the strong emphasis on narrative, plot and world building that most jRPG are constructed upon. And this is not a subjective opinion, it's an objective fact. Pokémon is not as dense as Lufia, Final Fantasy, Xeno, DQ, Golden Sun or even the aRPGs like the Tales Of series. This is not a bad thing: it's what Pokémon is, as I explained earlier.

Pokémon focus is on collectables -in the form of Pokémon- that you use to fulfill one or various of the following roles:

- To feel involved in the catch of those Pokémon.
- To use that Pokémon to battle, trade, or derivatives introduced in the games (ej: Pokémon Contests).
- To breed those Pokémon: a phenomena that, at this point, has become it's own game and has millions of people dedicated in body and soul to shiny breeding.
- A strong emphasis in connectivity AND competitive, being one of the few jRPGs in existence not only present, but in the whole history of the genre, with 1) a competitive and multiplayer mode 2) officials and unnoficial tournaments backed by big communities.

Those are the pillars of Pokémon, and that is in what Pokémon excels when you compare it to other jRPGs, and that is also the reason why there's so much people that dislike jRPGs but like Pokémon, because as many would say, "Pokémon is its own genre" despite being a jRPG. Taking DQ Monsters and developing it to its own expanded identity. For sure, the history has never been on par with what you should expect of an jRPG, because Pokémon is not about that. It's that simple.

So the lack of Pokémon in a Pokémon game will always be detrimental. Always. And this has nothing to do with the company rushing the games or not. If we were talking about more serious aspects of the game, I'd concede, but do you really think a legendary, a single Pokémon, has been left out of the games because they didn't finish it in time? Seriously? A game that's been finished for months before its release date, as this is how things work with any game in the market, puts a legendary, a Pokémon, in a DLC because they didn't make it on time? I won't even start a conversation about this.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more excited I am about Sneasler.
Not only will it have the inevitable Choice Band - Poison Touch set with U-Turn+CC+Gunk Shot/Dire Claws+Switcheroo/Tera-Blast/Night Slash? but then you have the Unburden set with possibly Grassy Seed (IF we get a non-ass terrain setter) @ SD+CC+Gunk Shot/Dire Claws+Acrobatics that outspeeds non-scarf Regieleki. Granted you got Toxapex but with Scald gone it can only Haze off its boosts and can't really threaten it, and obviously our lord and saviour Landorus-T. Then again Dire Claws...

Are we really sure Dire Claws has a FIFTY procent chance to inflict status? That sounds INSANE. That means even if Toxapex switches into a Dire Claws it could get put to sleep and have Sneasler just set-up +6.

Still 100 bp and it's not a biting or even contact move. It's just a stronger Icicle Crash with the same 30% flinch rate. Its PP is now increased to 10 though.
And no new biting move is added in SV.
Darn, I was hoping it paired with Strong Jaw H-Avalugg since it was its signature move.

Also, why is no one talking about the fact that Dondozo is HUGE? It is the third largest regular pokemon after Eternatus and Wailord. Also Iron Hands is the heaviest Electric type.

Also, I like that we lost Scale Shot Garchomp in favor of Scale Shot Luvdisc.

I'd be quite surprised if Game Freak removed egg move passing between parents without any suitable replacement. Game Freak doesn't usually take back QOL features related to mon building and they appear to have been conscious about letting every mon be brought to a usable standard, for which this was a key feature.
Guess we'll see.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be the first time.
There were a couple of unusable moves accidentally left in moveset data in both SwSh and BDSP first version, which got corrected a patch later.
That is true. Ice Rider Calyrex still learns Aromatherapy by level-up in the 1.0.1 moveset data, so it will definitely be patched again.

In general, the moveset data is a mess. Level 1 moves are almost always in different order across evolution lines. Some pokémon lines have the learnset order change between its members. Pre-evolutions can still have exclusive moves that no longer can be accessed after evolution (e.g. Breloom and Spore). Which means for a lot of Pokémon that were in BDSP, they lost several level-up moves.

Level-up patterns are not unified like in SwSh, so some keep the patterns from SwSh, others have patterns like in USUM.

Overall, I feel like whoever was responsible for level-up learnsets in SwSh was no longer in charge for SV. SwSh had a very clear structure and design philosophy with the level-up learnsets. Every pokémon available in the games got new level-up curves and followed the formula of new moves every nth level and with increasing base power as you go up in level.

It may have been too strictly formula in some cases in SwSh, but at least it was a coherent approach. And for pokémon with lots of level 1 moves, it was usually easy to tell what moves were new compared to prior evolution. The top move was the evolution move, after that usually new reminder exclusive moves, after that moves from the previous evolutions that aren't in the evolution's level-up learnset, and lastly the last four are the four first moves the basic pokémon learns. In SV, level 1 moves don't really have an order at all, and can differ alot across the evolution line.

So yeah, I'm a bit sad the learnsets feel so sloppy in SV compared to SwSh. While I believe the obvious glaring issues will be fixed (i.e. pokémon losing access to moves after evolution), the learnsets themselves will likely remain pretty messy.

//end of rant

It feels notable that this cycle has got me thinking about seriously getting into romhacks. Unlike SwSh, which felt pretty unsalvageable, I'm liking the gen 9 mon designs a lot more. But that's the thing: the mon designs are interesting. I'm not interested in the open world, the raids, the on-cart multiplayer, the story, or pretty much anything else the game tries to offer. Parts that romhacks and fangames would have difficulty replicating precisely do not have my attention, but its a near certainty that the new mons will get included in many of them.

Sneasler should had been a Poison/Ice evolution of regular Sneasel that evolved by using a PLA-introduced item. Basculegion and Overqwil should had been evolutions of the regular formes of Basculin and Qwilfish.

Will die on that hill.

In general, the moveset data is a mess. Level 1 moves are almost always in different order across evolution lines. Some pokémon lines have the learnset order change between its members. Pre-evolutions can still have exclusive moves that no longer can be accessed after evolution (e.g. Breloom and Spore). Which means for a lot of Pokémon that were in BDSP, they lost several level-up moves.
BDSP being a buggy mess keeps hurting the franchise. Games that didn't really introduce anything to the franchise, yet took away good things.

At least the boss fights were decent, but, geez.

If vitamins work like gen 8, then you can just buy 25 vitamins and use 2 stat feathers to max out a given EV
I usually went 26 in a stat if all I needed was it maxed.

I'd be quite surprised if Game Freak removed egg move passing without any suitable replacement. Game Freak doesn't usually take back QOL features related to mon building and they appear to have been conscious about letting every mon be brought to a usable standard, for which this was a key feature.
Guess we'll see.
Yes it is weird. That's why I have some copium that it is in but there's a new process. Otherwise they just made the point of transferring non-legends pointless. Especially if they're shinies that might need new egg moves. Or people like myself will have to cope with gimped movesets.

So did anyone figure how Adaptability works with Terastallize yet? Here is what I think many people would like to know.
-Does Adaptability work for the New STAB you get when you Terastallize into a new type? ie if you give Crawdaunt a Fighting Tera and Terastallize, would the Fighting moves have x1.5 or x2 bonus?
-Similarly, will Adaptability keep the same bonus for your old STABs? ie you give Crawdaunt a Fighting Tera and Terastallize, would the Water and Dark moves have x1.5 or x2?
-If you Terastallize a Pokemon with Adaptability that matches one of its old types, will it just be x2 bonus or will it be further boosted? ie Crawdaunt with a Water Tera and Terastallizes, would it have a x2 modifier, or is the bonus greater? People may assume would be 1.5*(4/3)*(4/3) or 2.66~ since Adaptability is effectively that multiplier, but Adaptability techincally sets STAB as x2 instead of multiplying STAB by 4 and dividing by 3. So it could be very likely that Adaptability does literally nothing for Super STAB.

I'd be quite surprised if Game Freak removed egg move passing without any suitable replacement. Game Freak doesn't usually take back QOL features related to mon building and they appear to have been conscious about letting every mon be brought to a usable standard, for which this was a key feature.
Guess we'll see.
I'm not that hopeful. Some bizarre changes (including additions) here.

So can someone give me the TLDR on the egg move situation? Also I never knew there was an egg move transfer mechanic aside from breeding.
The TLDR is that we havent found if the egg move transfer mechanic is in the game, nor how certain male only / genderless pokemon get their newly added egg moves.

Personal experimentation (as well as I believe some others who tried) just shown that:
- You can normally breed and inherit egg moves in pokemon camp
- Despite what we expected, doesn't look like same-sex parents can breed (unless I just got ridicolously unlucky and in 40 mins my azumarills didn't want to make eggs)
- Simply having a pokemon with empty moveslots and a pokemon of same species with a egg move in camp doesn't transfer the egg moves like it used to in SwSh.

While for the "male/genderless egg move" there's a chance these may come from raids, so far nothing points to a possibility of egg move transfer.

BDSP being a buggy mess keeps hurting the franchise. Games that didn't really introduce anything to the franchise, yet took away good things.
Did bring back a good number of ribbons however, which is a nice bonus. SwSh are just awful for ribbons - five total ribbons, two being the Effort and Best Friends ribbon. Somehow lost the Footprint ribbon, which has been a staple since it was introduced in Gen 4? And one of the new ribbons is WiFi only, so unless GF brings it back it's going to go the way of the World Ability Ribbon. So thanks for that GF.

BDSP has all the new contest ribbons + 1 new contest ribbon. Moneybag Ribbons are available, and while the daily ribbons are way too tedious again, at least they're there. Getting the SwSh Tower ribbon is likewise tedious, but it's available. Champion ribbon is a given. And, they didn't forget the Footprint ribbon lol.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any information on the ribbon situation in SV? Obviously that's not most people's priority but it is of note for me. Which ribbons are available/which new ones got added. And, did the Pioneer flag from Legends translate to anything tangible?

The TLDR is that we havent found if the egg move transfer mechanic is in the game, nor how certain male only / genderless pokemon get their newly added egg moves.

Personal experimentation (as well as I believe some others who tried) just shown that:
- You can normally breed and inherit egg moves in pokemon camp
- Despite what we expected, doesn't look like same-sex parents can breed (unless I just got ridicolously unlucky and in 40 mins my azumarills didn't want to make eggs)
- Simply having a pokemon with empty moveslots and a pokemon of same species with a egg move in camp doesn't transfer the egg moves like it used to in SwSh.

While for the "male/genderless egg move" there's a chance these may come from raids, so far nothing points to a possibility of egg move transfer.
So basically, aside from expecting so hidden mechanic, we gotta hope for Raids. Didn't someone find an ice Punch Lucario once?

Speaking of which, does anyone have any information on the ribbon situation in SV? Obviously that's not most people's priority but it is of note for me. Which ribbons are available/which new ones got added. And, did the Pioneer flag from Legends translate to anything tangible?
Someone posted about them earlier, and you may not be happy to know the results.

From what I remind, there's the usual "beat the league" ribbon (only one, no story dedicated ribbons) and a new ribbon whose mechanic you'll despise.
Aka, when you send a surprise trade, there's a very small chance (1/128 i think was stated?) that they get a "once in a lifetime" ribbon on transfer success.

So did anyone figure how Adaptability works with Terastallize yet? Here is what I think many people would like to know.
-Does Adaptability work for the New STAB you get when you Terastallize into a new type? ie if you give Crawdaunt a Fighting Tera and Terastallize, would the Fighting moves have x1.5 or x2 bonus?
-Similarly, will Adaptability keep the same bonus for your old STABs? ie you give Crawdaunt a Fighting Tera and Terastallize, would the Water and Dark moves have x1.5 or x2?
-If you Terastallize a Pokemon with Adaptability that matches one of its old types, will it just be x2 bonus or will it be further boosted? ie Crawdaunt with a Water Tera and Terastallizes, would it have a x2 modifier, or is the bonus greater? People may assume would be 1.5*(4/3)*(4/3) or 2.66~ since Adaptability is effectively that multiplier, but Adaptability techincally sets STAB as x2 instead of multiplying STAB by 4 and dividing by 3. So it could be very likely that Adaptability does literally nothing for Super STAB.
1. We have no reason to think Adaptability wouldn't work for the new STAB.

2. Since you don't lose STAB on your old types, you won't lose Adaptability either.

3. A Pokémon Terastalizing into a type that it naturally has grants a 4/3 multiplier to damage for STAB moves on top of everything that was already there. Therefore Tera-STAB on top of normal STAB is 1.5*(4/3) for a total boost of 2x. Tera-STAB on top of Adaptability is 2*(4/3) for a total of an 8/3 multiplier (or approximately 2.6666 as a decimal).

Last edited:
Maybe it really is just a case of "Egg move transfers existed so Gmax mons could get egg moves since max soup didn't exist at launch" so they didn't bring it back.

Did bring back a good number of ribbons however, which is a nice bonus. SwSh are just awful for ribbons - five total ribbons, two being the Effort and Best Friends ribbon. Somehow lost the Footprint ribbon, which has been a staple since it was introduced in Gen 4? And one of the new ribbons is WiFi only, so unless GF brings it back it's going to go the way of the World Ability Ribbon. So thanks for that GF.

BDSP has all the new contest ribbons + 1 new contest ribbon. Moneybag Ribbons are available, and while the daily ribbons are way too tedious again, at least they're there. Getting the SwSh Tower ribbon is likewise tedious, but it's available. Champion ribbon is a given. And, they didn't forget the Footprint ribbon lol.

SV introduced the worst ribbon. Once In a Lifetime Ribbon, when receiving a Pokemon from Surprise Trade there is a small chance the Pokemon will obtain the Once in a a Lifetime Ribbon. Yeah good luck to anyone collecting all ribbons with one Pokemon because they're not getting that outside of hacking.

Maybe it really is just a case of "Egg move transfers existed so Gmax mons could get egg moves since max soup didn't exist at launch" so they didn't bring it back.
That is what I suspect myself honestly.

Would be glad to be proved wrong though, as I myself appreciated the mechanic. No sign of it so far though.

On that note, someone knows where the hypertraining NPC is? I may be dumb but I can't find it...

So has there been any more EV training updates ? Or is the let's go feature how we will ev train our pokemon fast ?
That reminds me. Since we know the Power Training items are available as soon as the player reaches the first stores, is Let's Go farming the wave for EV training?

It feels notable that this cycle has got me thinking about seriously getting into romhacks. Unlike SwSh, which felt pretty unsalvageable
Ironically, SwSh turned out to be a great base for simple text/difficulty hacks, which was really what it needed the most.

I'm liking the gen 9 mon designs a lot more. But that's the thing: the mon designs are interesting. I'm not interested in the open world, the raids, the on-cart multiplayer, the story, or pretty much anything else the game tries to offer. Parts that romhacks and fangames would have difficulty replicating precisely do not have my attention, but its a near certainty that the new mons will get included in many of them.
I'll be honest... Don't bother then.

You're better served porting the mons to sprite-based games in that case. (Ain't no way these models will be backported to Gen 8)

With that said... I can't wait for mod tools to come out for SV for one reason.

I wanna get rid of those cursed Exp. Groups ASAP. :totodiLUL:

Someone posted about them earlier, and you may not be happy to know the results.

From what I remind, there's the usual "beat the league" ribbon (only one, no story dedicated ribbons) and a new ribbon whose mechanic you'll despise.
Aka, when you send a surprise trade, there's a very small chance (1/128 i think was stated?) that they get a "once in a lifetime" ribbon on transfer success.
Guess I'm gonna be surprise trading clones of all 500+ of my mons in the hopes that a few get returned to me with the ribbon :bloblul:. If you see lots of shiny mons with one of the Blizz IGNs... uh... don't report me to GF lol.

Exclusive ribbons are dumb and GF really does need to knock it off. But, I treat them like I do with Marks/Gift Ribbons - I just don't care. If they have it that's interesting, but it's not a legitimate/sustainable ribbon target. So it might as well not exist.

Still, it really does suck if there's not other/new ribbons available. We're gonna be back to Gen 5 ribbon levels next Gen at this pace :/.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)