SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Why do you need to breed for new moves if you can just smoke some herb and do it in a minute?
Cause in long term is faster, expecially if you don't want to constantly have to go out in the wild and make the pokemon relearn them, and rather want to just click in a menu.

Cause in long term is faster, expecially if you don't want to constantly have to go out in the wild and make the pokemon relearn them, and rather want to just click in a menu.
I don't think I understand you. Why would you have to constantly relearn the move?

So if you breed the moves your learned through picnic learning as actual egg moves, will they be "permanent" learnsets when re-remembering?

Looks like Rotom looses Hydro Pump. Or am I missing something? Not sure what to give Rotom Wash now.
The "rotom forme moves" weren't in the movesets as they are thought via ""form change"". No real reason to assume they're different now.

That is, until we can actually find the rotom catalog..

So if you breed the moves your learned through picnic learning as actual egg moves, will they be "permanent" learnsets when re-remembering?
Don’t have the game, but almost assuredly. Pokémon since Gen 6 have 4 moveslots on their data for moves they’ll always be able to remember. It’s typically whatever the Pokémon is born with, though for some events it’ll be whatever they come with when you get them. So yes, they’ll be permanent.

Learning an egg move in SWSH or BDSP through the daycare trick wouldn’t add this move to that pool of 4 moves so it seems to function the same way in SV

Rotom Catalog is at the auction area. I watched a buddy of mine buy it as he was streaming. I don't recall the city name, but wherever the auctions happen.
We haven’t had a lot of info about the auctions. would be quite interesting to see what other items are available. Could be another way for ability patches potentially? and apriballs

Quick side note, I think it got a little brushed over that both Urshifus got SD……..

Both might actually get banned now lmao, that’s one of the most busted buffs I’ve seen in a while

From the position of a Super Ultra High Level Hoarder "Collector", aesthetic and clout. The cap'd flag on IVs is very ugly, and while the nature change isn't nearly as ugly, it's still less-than ideal. Collectors want perfect Mons - it just looks a lot more professional and like you put in more effort.

Of course, that's not to gatekeep mon collecting in any way. Everyone is free to build their mons whichever way they choose, and their various aspects are all equally valid. It's the amount of heart you put into them that matters the most. If you're happy with what you've got, then be proud :P.
Agreed when it comes to IVs where bottle capping is strictly inferior, but I've really come to appreciate the extra level of customization that Mints brought in. I like that I can go for shinies with a nature that I think fits them more than their competitive one -- why should my Volcarona be modest? Why wouldn't my Whimsicott be naughty? etc. This gen you bet my shiny F-Delibird will be Jolly ;)

A lot of people are talking about breeding for IVs but now that Bottle Caps and Mints are purchasable for just $20k and Bottle Caps can be used starting at level 50, what's the point of breeding for IVs? For specific balls in the rare case I guess but other than that, why?
I bred an RNG dex in Gen 5, RNGed my own JP Dittos in Gen 6, and bred a comp Pokédex in Gen 7. I will probably not be breeding for IVs often, only if it’s convenient (IE once I can get good parents off of Home). Breeding is also just a way to keep playing the game even if there’s not a particularly large amount of anything left to do, so I can see it being used that way. I shiny hunted like everything in PLA just because I wanted to keep playing the game.

I personally will be shiny hunting way more than breeding for nice IVs with this changes though, that’s for sure. I’ve lived through like every era of competitive breeding except the GBA days and I’m super happy to see it reduced to a non-nessessity.

Last edited:
It seems they have completely removed the out of battle effects of abilities, likely to get rid of any inconsistency in their descriptions. I guess they moved it all to sandwich powers.
Then what does Illuminate even do? It has absolutely no effect in battle. Though, unless they get added into the DLC, none of the Pokemon with Illuminate are available in the game right now.

Agreed when it comes to IVs where bottle capping is strictly inferior, but I've really come to appreciate the extra level of customization that Mints brought in. I like that I can go for shinies with a nature that I think fits them more than their competitive one -- why should my Volcarona be modest? Why wouldn't my Whimsicott be naughty? etc.
Sorry, I should have been more explicit - when I said "less than ideal", I really should have specified that collectors really like having things without any serious modification. Changing aspects after they've been created tends to be viewed as skipping some of the standard grind and thus cheapens the work invested. That's obviously not true, but it's definitely a running perception.

I'd also be remiss to not mention that bottle caps and mints are a rather modern invention. A lot of the "culture" around mon collecting (if you can call it that) was set when these weren't an option, and so a lot of these beliefs haven't really evolved with the times. Even in Gen 7 when capping was first introduced, people were fairly concerned that the mechanic would be axed in a subsequent Gen and so people didn't want to invest time into mons with flawed IVs. So it's really only been in the last three-ish years that these modifications have been a bit acceptable.

Of course, I think matching natures to a Pokemon's attributes is nice touch. I personally don't do it (with one exception) beacuse most of my mons are still offered in Gen 7 and so it's really not a practical option atm. Standardization is also much more efficient and helps speed up some of my processes, so that does need to be taken into account. But it certainly does add a nice flare!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)