SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Haven't kept up with the thread so I have no idea what has or hasn't been said. Apparently you can't have a picnic in Area Zero, which is a bummer. Also, if you're at the end game and want Tera Shards to change your Pokemon's Tera type, you can find groups of 3 shards of random types scattered around Area Zero's lowest level, so neat I guess.
For what matters, you both can't picnic nor use online functions while in Area Zero.

Which is kinda annoying. I guess it was done so you can't "interrupt the story", but lord knows why you can't do it in postgame either...

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For what matters, you both can't picnic nor use online functions while in Area Zero.

Which is kinda annoying. I guess it was done so you can't "interrupt the story", but lord knows why you can't do it in postgame either...
Haven't played the game yet but maybe it's intentional? I sorta get the impression from what little I've heard of it that Area Zero is probably a rather hostile and abnormal environment and isn't friendly to the idea of simple interactive activities like picnicking or interacting with others via communication canonically.

I assume it's probably an issue of that particular area likely being inherently abnormal and inhospitable if what I've heard about it is true and I'm assuming correctly.

Of course, I'm probably overthinking it a bit lol.

Alright. I finally have my hands on Violet Version, and I've got to say the progression is scuffed.

Like, I knew from this thread that there would be a nonsensical level curve and no sense of direction... but even so I am flabbergasted.

By simply filling my Dex en route to Katy and reaping the rewards of a single 2-star raid, I had a Lv. 24 Quaxwell on hand for the first gym. I hadn't interacted with Team Star at all. I hadn't undertaken any titan battles up to that point. I just caught some tiny bugs and did a Salandit raid, and poof!—I had a nine-level advantage over the first Gym Leader.

But that's not even the dumb part. My actual goal on that outing was making a blitz on the Dark Team Star guy because it's well-documented that he's the weakest, and Katy happened to be along the way. Holy Smokes, is he out in the backwoods. To reach him from the south (i.e. the starting area), the player has to ford a river into the territory of the second titan battle (Bombirdier), find a single bridge on the westernmost edge of the continent that leads to the north bank of the main channel, and then make a u-turn back into the heartland. Meanwhile, the Team Star Fire Squad (six levels higher) is only a brisk stroll away from the first titan battle (Klawf) and the second Gym. What? The player can knock out all three of those things without walking a hundred yards, but the actual basic Team Star guy is all the way on the opposite side of the country behind another titan boss.

This was the route I followed, after being shown the map earlier.
Note that I did Mela first on the star route after Brassius because I didnt know lmao, and I did the 5th Titan after the 6th gym because I just really wanted the damn Rock Climb ability.

I honestly wonder if the map had a typo to begin with because all the sushi i was fighting was around 45 and the stuff on land capped around 51~52 and Arbolivia really barreled through the titan's first phase. Like Dodonzo's sp def is bad but its HP is great and I dunno. Just felt off.
Serebii's moveset listing, now that I look at it, also feels wrong. It absolutely used Order Up in phase 2.
This post showcases the nonsense that is the level progression, but I want to hammer in a point. That ridiculous spiral around the starting area that spans the whole southern half of the continent? That is the only way the player will encounter the Dark Squad before the Fire Squad, bar skipping Titan 1 for ten levels or circumnavigating the entire crater. It's like GameFreak heard "BW is too linear" and decided the proper way to serialize story beats in a ring-shaped region is by throwing everything at a dartboard and withholding from the player where everything landed.

How is a game this densely tutorialized so barren of structure? If you follow the game's own advice, you could be fighting Dark Squad at Lv. 40.

Haven't played the game yet but maybe it's intentional? I sorta get the impression from what little I've heard of it that Area Zero is probably a rather hostile and abnormal environment and isn't friendly to the idea of simple interactive activities like picnicking or interacting with others via communication canonically.

I assume it's probably an issue of that particular area likely being inherently abnormal and inhospitable if what I've heard about it is true and I'm assuming correctly.

Of course, I'm probably overthinking it a bit lol.
It's meant to be closed off due to undefined dangers and only reachable by allowed people until the postgame where you are given access to it to <insert spoilery stuff>.

While I can understand preventing picnics (the area is also a laggy mess, + full of slopes) there isn't really any reason for it to prevent you from using online function while in there.

Synch didn't work on most of the SwSh legendary mons either - since Raid Pokemon cannot have their nature synchronized. And they rolled back the changes to synchronize on gift Pokemon in USUM. 99% of the people who have gotten flawless non-overworld legendary mons in SwSh were using bots as a result, beacuse it takes an ungodly amount of time to SR acceptable mons manually. Something tells me SV is going to be exactly the same way.

It's definitely frustrating to see GF rolling back so many QOL features (or just features in general?), but certainly not surprising. They want players to play the game exactly like they intended (IE using mints and caps to correct everything) and to do otherwise means you're playing the game wrong. And of course we can't be having any of that.
The common excuse I have heard is "Most of the playerbase doesn't know about and doesn't use the option thus remove it so there is no option". This is why set mode is gone and we can't evolve Pokemon already at 100 with a rare candy anymore.

Aw man, I was planning to get in there with the mate who has Violet to go around and catch the exclusives.

Also did they remove the level 100 QoL deal, just as evolutions that REQUIRE level up were introduced? C'mon that's inane.

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
Don't want to rant too much about how bad the technical issues are. Area Zero is a mess of lighting issues and the camera keeps phasing through the floor. Is the game fun? Yes. Is the game good? No. Is it worth the price tag? Definitely not.

Also wanted to make this post just to say that apparently Roseli and Chilan Berries aren't in the game. There goes my berry collecting plans.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Don't want to rant too much about how bad the technical issues are. Area Zero is a mess of lighting issues and the camera keeps phasing through the floor. Is the game fun? Yes. Is the game good? No. Is it worth the price tag? Definitely not.

Also wanted to make this post just to say that apparently Roseli and Chilan Berries aren't in the game. There goes my berry collecting plans.
Chilan absolutely is, I've found it once. Dunno about Roseli but I doubt it was removed.

I surprisingly didn't have too many issues with Area Zero. Even the lighting mostly kept itself intact and my camera was super well behaved.
I thought it was the neatest area in the game and i don't mean that in a back handed way

Anyway I literally have a Roseli berry in my inventory right now.

Also re: can't do coop with Area Zero it wouldn't surprise me if it might be for technical limits. It's a huge area seemingly separated from the rest of paldea and it wouldn't surprise me if it was loaded internally in a different way than both the rest of Paldea and Mesagoza (the like one other major loading zone in the game)

The common excuse I have heard is "Most of the playerbase doesn't know about and doesn't use the option thus remove it so there is no option". This is why set mode is gone and we can't evolve Pokemon already at 100 with a rare candy anymore.
Most of the Pokemon playerbase hasn't figured out how to put their pants on in the morning either. I think feature removal based on usage is... quite dumb. Here's the plethora of mechanics and features that only a small percentage of overall playerbase knows about/uses that could be removed by that logic (that haven't been removed in Gen 8-9 already):
  • EVs/IVs
  • STAB
  • Egg Moves
  • Breeding
  • Competitive/Boosting items
  • Online competitive modes
  • Shiny Pokemon
  • Transferring Pokemon
  • Ribbons
  • Text Speed
  • Non-Automatic Saving
  • Turning off cutscenes
  • Most Pokeball Types
  • Most of the Pokemon added each Gen
  • The Pokedex/Pokemon Descriptions
  • Pokemon Amie/Refresh/WhateverTheHellTheSandwichThingIsSupposedToBe
  • Raids
For all of those, below 10% of the playerbase actually uses those mechanics. Some of those fall even below 1%. The vast majority of players buy the game, do one play through to whatever the story endpoint is (or don't ever get that far), and literally never touch it again. To get to that point, you really only need a few mechanics.

And of course, that is a somewhat slippery slope argument. But it's not like GF isn't actively removing features - they've constantly shown over the past few years that they want to kill off as many features as possible. Maybe there's a line where it's "acceptable" to lose a feature, but imo it's just flat out dumb.

To point out why these feature removals are so impactful, Eriorguez above highlighted one of the many reasons why it causes problems. Previously, all cross-generational evolution Pokemon did so via item or any other non-leveling mechanic - with the exception of Sylveon, though that Pokemon is more of a side-grade. Now, any Dunsparce, Primape, Girafarig, or Bisharp at lvl 100 are permanently locked out of their new final evolution due to no fault of your own.

Another prudent example is ribboning. Prior to Gen 8, there were only 3 possible ribbon paths a Pokemon could take (Box Legendries/Mythic/Events, Ditto/Unown due to the pre Gen 6 contest ribbons, and every other Pokemon). As result of Dexit, there are now the following options for ribboning a Pokemon
  • Legend/Mythic can go to SwSh, BDSP, but not Legends
  • Legend/Mythic can not go to SwSh but can go to BDSP or Legends
  • Legend/Mythic can not go to SwSh or Legends but can go to BDSP (just Deox maybe?)
  • Ditto can go to SwSh, BDSP, but not Legends
  • Unown can go to BDSP and Legends but now SwSh
  • Normal Pokemon can go to SwSh but not BDSP or Legends
  • Normal Pokemon can go to BDSP and Legends but not SwSh
  • Normal Pokemon can go to SwSh and BDSP but not Legends
  • Normal Pokemon can got to BDSP but not SwSh or Legends
  • Normal Pokemon cannot go to SwSh, BDSP, or Legends
  • Some stages of Normal Pokemon can go to Legends but not SwSh or BDSP (Sam line)
And this problem is only going to get worse and worse. I didn't bother writing up how SV will fork these paths even more. And, sorry if this is a bit rant-y, but I just want to illustrate how exhausting and exhaustingly complicated these feature removals are. There's a lot of feature inter-dependency that doesn't get touched upon enough. So really, removing features "beacuse no one uses them" is just a bad argument. :psycry:

Most of the Pokemon playerbase hasn't figured out how to put their pants on in the morning either. I think feature removal based on usage is... quite dumb. Here's the plethora of mechanics and features that only a small percentage of overall playerbase knows about/uses that could be removed by that logic (that haven't been removed in Gen 8-9 already):
  • Most of the Pokemon added each Gen
Last I checked, that was removed in gen 8.

To point out why these feature removals are so impactful, Eriorguez above highlighted one of the many reasons why it causes problems. Previously, all cross-generational evolution Pokemon did so via item or any other non-leveling mechanic - with the exception of Sylveon, though that Pokemon is more of a side-grade. Now, any Dunsparce, Primape, Girafarig, or Bisharp at lvl 100 are permanently locked out of their new final evolution due to no fault of your own.
I don't really have fault with the rest of the post (feature removal absolutely is entirely arbitrary at times) but I guess I gotta point out that Gen 4 literally introduced the entire concept of evolving while knowing a move and leveling up and had "level up in a location" and "level up while holding an item"

To be clear it is stupid they got rid of it, but this isn't the first cross-gen "oops it was level 100" rodeo we've gone to like this.

Also you know just saying but this immediately doesn't become a problem if they had ported over the LA feature of "you can just evolve in the menu when you meet the criteria" to begin with

I don't really have fault with the rest of the post (feature removal absolutely is entirely arbitrary at times) but I guess I gotta point out that Gen 4 literally introduced the entire concept of evolving while knowing a move and leveling up and had "level up in a location" and "level up while holding an item"

To be clear it is stupid they got rid of it, but this isn't the first cross-gen "oops it was level 100" rodeo we've gone to like this.

Also you know just saying but this immediately doesn't become a problem if they had ported over the LA feature of "you can just evolve in the menu when you meet the criteria" to begin with
You’re right, sorry. Totally forgot some of those lines were cross-generational and I was rushing. It’s been almost 15 years since this was a problem, so mentally I construe them as just their normal evolution :bloblul:

The legends mechanic is good option to correct the cross-Gen evolution problem. Looks nice, but it’s probably not implementable now in SV since it would require substantial rework (which we know GF will never do). The rare candy method is a lot easier to implement since it doesn’t modify the existing evolution mechanics/UI except at lvl 100. Though it doesn’t matter, because the chance GF does either is pretty low based on past experience.

Alright. I finally have my hands on Violet Version, and I've got to say the progression is scuffed.

Like, I knew from this thread that there would be a nonsensical level curve and no sense of direction... but even so I am flabbergasted.

By simply filling my Dex en route to Katy and reaping the rewards of a single 2-star raid, I had a Lv. 24 Quaxwell on hand for the first gym. I hadn't interacted with Team Star at all. I hadn't undertaken any titan battles up to that point. I just caught some tiny bugs and did a Salandit raid, and poof!—I had a nine-level advantage over the first Gym Leader.

But that's not even the dumb part. My actual goal on that outing was making a blitz on the Dark Team Star guy because it's well-documented that he's the weakest, and Katy happened to be along the way. Holy Smokes, is he out in the backwoods. To reach him from the south (i.e. the starting area), the player has to ford a river into the territory of the second titan battle (Bombirdier), find a single bridge on the westernmost edge of the continent that leads to the north bank of the main channel, and then make a u-turn back into the heartland. Meanwhile, the Team Star Fire Squad (six levels higher) is only a brisk stroll away from the first titan battle (Klawf) and the second Gym. What? The player can knock out all three of those things without walking a hundred yards, but the actual basic Team Star guy is all the way on the opposite side of the country behind another titan boss.

This post showcases the nonsense that is the level progression, but I want to hammer in a point. That ridiculous spiral around the starting area that spans the whole southern half of the continent? That is the only way the player will encounter the Dark Squad before the Fire Squad, bar skipping Titan 1 for ten levels or circumnavigating the entire crater. It's like GameFreak heard "BW is too linear" and decided the proper way to serialize story beats in a ring-shaped region is by throwing everything at a dartboard and withholding from the player where everything landed.

How is a game this densely tutorialized so barren of structure? If you follow the game's own advice, you could be fighting Dark Squad at Lv. 40.
Thats....the point of being able to travel anywhere and do anything in any order. There is an appeal in travelling to levels above your paygrade or taking out strong objectives, and even sweeping house with stronger teams. You're going in the mindset of a traditional railroad experience but the game is anything but. By time you make it to the end you'll be where you need to be levelwise anyway

Thats....the point of being able to travel anywhere and do anything in any order. There is an appeal in travelling to levels above your paygrade or taking out strong objectives, and even sweeping house with stronger teams. You're going in the mindset of a traditional railroad experience but the game is anything but. By time you make it to the end you'll be where you need to be levelwise anyway
I think there's just a difference in what different people want out of an open world game. Some people see Open World like you do (go anywhere....but watch out!) and others see it like Crusade does (yeah go anywhere, but what's the point if it doesnt partially scale to you)

I've seen this crop up a lot so I am guessing this is actually a long standing debate outside the Pokemon sphere.

I think there's just a difference in what different people want out of an open world game. Some people see Open World like you do (go anywhere....but watch out!) and others see it like Crusade does (yeah go anywhere, but what's the point if it doesnt partially scale to you)

I've seen this crop up a lot so I am guessing this is actually a long standing debate outside the Pokemon sphere.
To be honest, very few games actually pull the "open world and go wherever you like with content scaling to you" well.

Skyrim is popular cause it is one of the very few games which did

I can understand people being upset with the lack of scaling but ive also notoced i havent seen any concrete ways to balance it all without blocking off progress. There's 3 main story lines right off the bat, and spme people may even do each one one at a time, all 3 at once, or outright ignore some they dont wanna do. Thats not even menrioning the objectives are split unevenly (8/5/5, then final bosses for each line), or that not all pokemon are created equal. If it was steictly badges i could see it but try doing the same with titans and you can see the logic fracture.

Incidentally, one of the biggest complaints about games with full openworld + scaling is that it somewhat kills the sense of progression.

If you remind Final Fantasy 8, one of the first games to actually implement "level scaling", a lot of people complained (and still complain) that in that game you're basically punished for leveling, because enemies actually become harder and you can't mindlessly chow through them with limit breaks, to the point some people and some speedrunners purposely kill off party members sometimes to get as little exp as possible.
Iirc Oblivion as another big offender of this with the overpowered rats.

While on paper it would feel cool if the world scaled with you, if "your levels don't matter cause everything is same level as you", it can also become kinda moot where "leveling" doesn't mean anything as you can't underlevel nor overlevel things.
Though to be fair, at least the gym leaders should be changed to scale with the player, since it's a actual in-game-lore thing that they have multiple teams purposely tailored to their opponent... in fact, the bug gym leader actually mentions this in the postgame rematch and is glad that "finally she can fight someone with her full strenght since he gets asked by the chairwoman to go easy on the novice trainers".

I can understand people being upset with the lack of scaling but ive also notoced i havent seen any concrete ways to balance it all without blocking off progress. There's 3 main story lines right off the bat, and spme people may even do each one one at a time, all 3 at once, or outright ignore some they dont wanna do. Thats not even menrioning the objectives are split unevenly (8/5/5, then final bosses for each line), or that not all pokemon are created equal. If it was steictly badges i could see it but try doing the same with titans and you can see the logic fracture.
Tbh, this is only a problem for the major battles.

It doesn't need to mirror the trainer's level either. They could literally keep the same level brackets and pick the right one based on "badge" count.

The rest of the game not scaling would be perfectly fine. Freedom to go anywhere you want doesn't mean freedom to not get got for going to tough places early.

While this is true you CAN use co-op outside of Area Zero, both enter Area Zero, and get each others Paradox spawns. I did so in Violet and got all the Scarlet exclusives last night. It's kind of buggy and you can't see each other most of the time but it "works"
Edit: ah I was ninja'd!

Though to be fair, at least the gym leaders should be changed to scale with the player, since it's a actual in-game-lore thing that they have multiple teams purposely tailored to their opponent... in fact, the bug gym leader actually mentions this in the postgame rematch and is glad that "finally she can fight someone with her full strenght since he gets asked by the chairwoman to go easy on the novice trainers".
I feel like it would have been easy to not just have that "scale" but just to make 8 teams based on the player's badge order. It's not that hard to iterate!

Last edited:
Btw uuuuh what is the most efficent to grind money in postgame? I'm kinda trying to get up a bit of proper pokemon and bottle caps + medicines are definitely not cheap o.o

Also btw was it confirmed if Let's Go mode gives EV or not?

Btw uuuuh what is the most efficent to grind money in postgame? I'm kinda trying to get up a bit of proper pokemon and bottle caps + medicines are definitely not cheap o.o

Also btw was it confirmed if Let's Go mode gives EV or not?
5*/6* raids as they give a lot of items to sell, that’s what I’m using. Even with the amulet coin the E4 only gives around 120k which is.. not great (it’s no GMax Meowth!)

Let’s Go doesn’t give EVs. I’ve found that traditional EV training isn’t that tedious but it’s still like.. long lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)