SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Aww jeez that wording is gonna make it (and presumably the others in the quartet) a hassle to fit into VGC since it sounds like it'll lower your partners Def too. Talk about a double-edged sword (of ruin).
Allow me to introduce you to lord and savior Contrary, Competitive and Defiant...
Does the battle bond mean that megas have also been changed to stat increases?
megas are not in the game

Battle Bond boosts stats.
And basically passive confirmation that Ash-Greninja is indeed back with normal Greninja

there were people that thought otherwise so its nice vindication

Uhm I think that's just a change in description but not in the effect.
If we look at the way Greninja works..
View attachment 464121

it does indeed get its atk, spatk and speed boosted but defenses stay same.
It is but they generally don't describe it like this. Also interesting that it no longer mentions the Water Shuriken damage boost

Does the battle bond mean that megas have also been changed to stat increases?
No this is probably their way of removing Ash-Greninja but making Battle Bond Greninja still viable (lol?)

edit: that's what I got from it anyway, they evidently want to remove that form so I can see them just making it a stat increase rather than a full form transformation, but we'll find out with the datamine soon i guess.

It is but they generally don't describe it like this. Also interesting that it no longer mentions the Water Shuriken damage boost
No this is probably their way of removing Ash-Greninja but making Battle Bond Greninja still viable (lol?)
Wild guess (difficult to tell until someone actually gets their hand on a Greninja), they may have actually just made Battle Bond a normal ability so they don't have to re-code Ash Greninja's transformation in any game Greninja is allowed in.

Allow me to introduce you to lord and savior Contrary and Defiant...

megas are not in the game
Contrary for sure tho not many pokemon get it.

Fefiant/Competitive/etc. I'm not so sure about, at least not for Sword of Ruin. +1 Attack is nice but personally idk if I'm willing to trade it for -1 Defense when I could be double targeted. I'll have to test it out to see how it fares.

Fefiant/Competitive/etc. I'm not so sure about, at least not for Sword of Ruin. +1 Attack is nice but personally idk if I'm willing to trade it for -1 Defense when I could be double targeted. I'll have to test it out to see how it fares.
Well in case of that specific pokemon no, but for example, pairing the -1 atk with a Competitive or the -1 spatk with a Defiant user works.

After all, Bulldoze Defiant / Weakness Policy combos were a thing at some point.
Even with Protean nerf, Grass Starter is still the best competitively, due to high speed and having U-Turn. It just won't be able to 6-0 everything without switching out. Honestly, I think this is a good nerf, in the future Cinderace is coming back to OU.
I think you may underestimate the potential of the water guy. While its speed can be middling, coming in at right moment and scoring a KO or at least getting a free turn to use its signature move can quickly get it to snowball out of control stacking +1 speed and attack.

Wild guess (difficult to tell until someone actually gets their hand on a Greninja), they may have actually just made Battle Bond a normal ability so they don't have to re-code Ash Greninja's transformation in any game Greninja is allowed in.
I feel like the "re-code" is not necessarily an issue considering all the other transformations they always bring forward
Ash-Greninja is no more intensive than Wishiwashi Schooling or Zygarde Complete

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)