Metagame SCL I Doubles OU Discussion [$50 + Discord Nitro Prize]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar.

is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
Last week there were some upsets I was not expecting. A lot of it came down to prep, where some teams just won on preview/lead, a trend we have been seeing quite a bit. We have also been seeing a lot of pokemon just getting tossed still, but this time it felt more like techs instead of just letting the Zygarde die LOL. Anyway back to detailed predictions.

Nails vs Spurrific - Justin got team match up'd super hard last week. From what I was told Justin has a bad history with fighting hard tr, so Para just kind of won of preview and played accordingly. Nails on the other hand had a slightly worse match up (again) vs zee, this time not as bad as his past games but still slightly less favored. Despite this and falling behind early game, Nick got EVERY play right in a situation where literally one wrong move and it looked like a loss. Nick proved why he was ranked 1, and if he can get a even or positive match up vs Justin then I can't see him losing here.
Frania vs Mishimono - Frania brought a pretty cool team where despite falling behind super hard early managed to bring it back with some cool little techs and overall solid play. The guy lost two pokemon in the first two turns and still won, so yea he did well. Mishi on the other hand brought webs with a slow bee that I still don't actually understand. The team was overall pretty weird but despite that there they still made a great game that was decided by some luck when it could have went either way. I'm just going to go with Frania as he seems to be moving forward with the meta while Mishi seems more stuck on his hyper offense.
zeefable vs stax - Goat
YoBuddy vs Qwello Lee - I haven't seen YoBuddy play in a while so I don't actually know what shape he is in. Qwello on other hand has been doing well in both teambuilder and play. There isn't too much to say here as Qwello's game also was won on lead, but yea Qwello is good.
Paraplegic vs Z Strats - This match is actually a lot closer to me than I would have thought a week ago. Z Strats brought a decent team and played a good game vs Mishi that overall came down to the wire, but he got a freebee due to some lucky breaks. Para on the other hand has been a monster in the builder, basically counter teaming his last two opponents. Z Strats isn't really a player you can just counter team though, as his builds are typically unique and more geared towards his opponents. This match is a lot of fun, two players who are great in the builder having to find a way to squeak out any advantage they can at preview, which I think will give us two more unique teams overall..(or boring standard teams since they don't know what to do). If I had to predict what will happen, Para will bring a team that plays itself and Z Strats will play well and maybe find a lucky break somewhere in there to win. Great match though!

16bit

What does your soul look like?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
DOU: Nails vs Spurrific
DOU: Frania vs Mishimono
DOU: zeefable vs stax
DOU: YoBuddy vs Qwello Lee
DOU: Paraplegic vs Z Strats

DOU: Nails vs Spurrific
DOU: Frania vs Mishimono
DOU: YoBuddy vs Qwello Lee
DOU: Paraplegic vs Z Strats

Z Strats

Banned deucer.
DOU: Nails vs Spurrific - Nails has gone 3 for 3 in getting bad matchups and just being the better player and winning while Spurrific is off to a worse start than he would have liked going 1-2 and bringing a pretty bad team that had no real full room or amoonguss counter player and ended up not being able to play the game last week. I think Spurrific is good in his play but Nails has been better and I don't see Spurrific getting enough of a teambuilder edge to turn the tides in his favour.
DOU: Frania vs Mishimono - Both players have only beat Memoric but I think Mishi has looked better and is more proven in SS in general. Mishi is still yet to show that he can play something that's not offense at this level but his offense is good enough that I don't think Fran will be able to capitalize on this anyway.
DOU: zeefable vs stax - stax has shown to be a bit rusty in this tour and zee had a good debut despite losing. I don't think I'm ready to call stax washed just yet though his two losses have come from two of the considered top players in this tour so I think he'll be able to bounce back as long as he stops using zygarde, meanwhile the Terrors DOU slot is 0-3 and while I think zee has shown promise with week 1 I don't think I'm willing to bet that the streak will break against stax. Super interesting match though.
DOU: YoBuddy vs Qwello Lee - Qwello has looked solid and is one of the best DOU players right now, meanwhile YoBuddy is making his debut and has looked quite bad in DOU team tours going negative in every single one. I would be super surprised to see this go the other way but maybe YoBuddy will surprise me.
DOU: Paraplegic vs Z Strats - Para "28th in circuit despite using normal teams and participating in every tour" plegic versus Z "12th in circuit despite missing tours and using monotype teams" Strats. Clear win for Z Strats

better late than never ig

DOU: Nails vs Spurrific (60/40)

Nick put me through the washer last week, he was actually only the 2nd person to take a game off the team I brought to the match. Thinks smart and just doesn't mess up lines, I don't think burns and toxigen are going to create a build strong enough to fuck up Nick's computer-like play even though I rate his play decently high.

DOU: Frania vs Mishimono (55/45)

no support Frania was a pretty dire conversation topic at the start of the tour but at this point I've basically turned into Fran's testing partner, not to mention all the other players he has access to in the haha mafia. I've liked the original teams from him and I don't think he's been playing badly after what was likely a big wake up call in the week 1 loss. Mishi on the other hand looked pretty unconvincing last week with really questionable teamchoice and plays.

DOU: YoBuddy vs Qwello Lee (65/35)

Qwello is so fucking good. Jesus CHRIST. I was a bit worried he'd start off on a bad foot after his loss to Z Strats week 3, but he's picked the pace back up and is looking good after a win vs stax last week, that even with the RNG still just looked like he straight up outplayed. YoBuddy is such a big question mark for me, but I'm not surprised to see him here after memoric seemed pretty upset at his loss to fran last week. As Qwello Lee's biggest fan this is an easy bold for me though.

DOU: Paraplegic vs Z Strats (65/35)

Para's doing better than almost anyone imagined he would to his credit, but he's gonna have to prep well to not get folded by Z Strats here, and with one of the more seemingly inactive supports and lack of access to The Jerk I'm questionable that he can get the prep he needs. I rate Z Strats more in game decision making too.

LNumbers

When it's all been said and done, I'm still my #1
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Nails vs Spurrific
Frania vs Mishimono
zeefable
vs stax
YoBuddy vs Qwello Lee
Paraplegic vs Z Strats

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
[TMS] Nails vs Spurrific [BRE]
[SHO] Frania vs Mishimono [ISL]
[TER] zeefable
vs stax [SPA]
[FOX] YoBuddy vs Qwello Lee [DYN]
[GIB] Paraplegic vs Z Strats [PLA]

[TMS] Nails vs Spurrific [BRE] -- Another very impressive showing from Nails, while poor Spurrific loaded up 6-0d by Amoonguss in Trick Room and didn't actually get to play a real game. Justin is better than his 1-2 record indicates, but I am not picking against Nails any time soon.

[SHO] Frania vs Mishimono [ISL] -- Frania seemed to step it up last week in team choice, and with the help of his opponent was able to bring it back after a disastrous first few turns. He seems more motivated in general, so hopefully me predicting against him continues to fuel the fire. Despite the same records, I think Mishimono has generally been more impressive play wise even despite the poor luck at times, especially when he's in his comfort zone in terms of teams.

[TER] zeefable vs stax [SPA] -- Upset time. stax is one of the all time Doubles greats, but his apparent lack of metagame familiarity and using some weird, to say the least, sets has lowered my confidence in him since the beginning of the season. Meanwhile, zeefable played well last week in the hardest possible debut matchup, and I'm interested to see what she brings in her second week.

[FOX] YoBuddy vs Qwello Lee [DYN] -- YoBuddyTheSCLStarter. Memoric's had a rough few weeks unfortunately, so it's time to see if his APAC brethren can turn things around. The Foxes, at least to me, have brought similar archetypes each week in Doubles, which is not something I would expect from a Memoric led slot. Qwello Lee's been pretty solid overall, even including his Week 1 loss and getting a bit lucky Week 2, and despite having zero information to go off of I am going to bold him mostly on the basis of being the stronger player.

[GIB] Paraplegic vs Z Strats [PLA] -- :psysly:

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
[TER] zeefable
vs stax [SPA]
[GIB] Paraplegic
vs Z Strats [PLA]

Luirromen

:]
is a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
[TER] zeefable
vs stax [SPA]
[GIB] Paraplegic vs Z Strats [PLA]

Crunchman

Banned deucer.
[TMS] Nails vs Spurrific [BRE] - I doubted both of these players early on and one has performed well while the other has performed decently. Spurrific's probably getting nailed in this matchup I guess
[SHO] Frania vs Mishimono [ISL] - mish mish
[TER] zeefable vs stax [SPA] - Lady Lumps vs VGC aficionado - stax has been having a pretty strong tournament while the Terrors DOU have inspired anything but in their enemies.
[FOX] YoBuddy vs Qwello Lee [DYN] - YoBuddy the winner. Time to take the dubskis
[GIB] Paraplegic vs Z Strats [PLA] - Para strats may be able to win this game

Week 5!
  • [TMS] Nails vs YoBuddy [FOX]
  • [GIB] Paraplegic vs Actuarily [TER]
  • [PLA] Z Strats vs Frania [SHO]
  • [DYN] Qwello Lee vs Spurrific [BRE]
  • [SPA] stax vs Mishimono [ISL]
Standings Sheet
Week 1 Recap
Week 2 Recap
Week 3 Recap
Week 4 Recap
Congrats to our 5-0s daunt vs and freezai, and sorry to our lone 0-5, Xaviere.
-Tsunami-, 16bit, and daunt vs are in the lead with 17 points. Crunchman is in last (for those who have predicted every week) with 6 points.
[TMS] Nails vs YoBuddy [FOX]
[GIB] Paraplegic vs Actuarily [TER]
[PLA] Z Strats vs Frania [SHO]
[DYN] Qwello Lee vs Spurrific [BRE]
[SPA] stax vs Mishimono [ISL]

Last edited:
DOU: Nails vs YoBuddy
DOU: Paraplegic vs Actuarily
DOU: Z Strats vs Frania
DOU: Qwello Lee vs Spurrific
DOU: stax vs Mishimono

DOU: Nails vs YoBuddy
DOU: Paraplegic vs Actuarily
DOU: Z Strats vs Frania
DOU: Qwello Lee vs Spurrific
DOU: stax vs Mishimono

• [TMS] Nails vs YoBuddy [FOX]
  • [GIB] Paraplegic vs Actuarily [TER]
  • [PLA] Z Strats vs Frania [SHO]
  • [DYN] Qwello Lee vs Spurrific [BRE]
  • [SPA] stax vs Mishimono [ISL]

[PLA] Z Strats
vs Frania [SHO] - Keep Suicune's out of every metagame

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)