Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrett

Banned deucer.
Idea approved by Fc
1631813467961.png

Commencement Thread
Schedule
We now introduce some spice: SCL I Ubers Predictions!

Top Predict Prize (all of the following):
  • 1 Month of Discord Nitro (or rough equivalent such as gift card in monetary value--he is not going to Venmo/Cashapp anyone or similar) generously sponsored by Aberforth (tiebreaker will include playoff predictions, TBA)
  • $50 USD generously sponsored by DNNP who will then double said amount to the winner if anyone goes perfect in both regular season and all of playoffs
  • $20 USD (valued at the time the regular season winner is announced) in Bitcoin or Ethereum generously sponsored by BasedWhat?

In order to participate each week:
  • When the lineup for all 5 Ubers games comes out, I will post them more organized here in a format where you can copy and paste this text with updated bold text indicating who you think the winner of the game will be. 1 point per correct game outcome based on team, and an additional 2 bonus points are awarded for anyone that "clean sweeps" a week, i.e. they predict all 5/5 game outcomes correctly. Note that if a person is subbed, your prediction will be counted based on that sub winning on behalf of the original person on the lineup.
  • Do not predict for the pertaining week before I post the 5 game text format.
  • You must pick exactly one winner (no bolding the "vs.") for each of the 5 games.
  • Your post will be scored at the end of the week only if it has no edits. You may make a new post if you want to change your predicts so as long as it is before the first game of the week is played (in other words, don't try to cheese the first game outcome by making a post while it's being played. I reserve the right to remove anyone from the competition if their prediction timing seems suspicious for any reason.)

EXAMPLE WEEK 0 FORMAT
TJ Yao vs. TheGreekEconomy
The Strap God vs. The Trap God
Absdaddy vs. Cynara04
Fc523 vs. Luna's Billy Now
Aberforth vs. SiTuM

One possible prediction one can post is:
Absdaddy vs. Cynara04
Aberforth
vs. SiTuM

If you got 3/5 correct, your weekly score would be 3. If you got all 5/5 correct, your weekly score would be 7 (5, then +2 for a clean sweep). The sum of all weekly scores in the regular season will be your final score. The highest scoring individual which was never disqualified will be deemed the winner.

By the way, we highly encourage people to discuss WHY their predicts are the way they are. This is entirely optional, but it's nice to see people overview player matchups so as to justify why one player emerge victorious over another.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi

spo.ink/shadowtag
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 27 Championis a Past SPL Champion
Idea approved by Fc

We now introduce some spice: SCL I Ubers Predictions!

Top Predict Prize (all of the following):
  • 1 Month of Discord Nitro (or rough equivalent such as gift card in monetary value--he is not going to Venmo/Cashapp anyone or similar) generously sponsored by Aberforth (tiebreaker will include playoff predictions, TBA)
  • $50 USD generously sponsored by DNNP who will then double said amount to the winner if anyone goes perfect in both regular season and all of playoffs
  • $20 USD (valued at the time the regular season winner is announced) in Bitcoin or Ethereum generously sponsored by BasedWhat?

In order to participate each week:
  • When the lineup for all 5 Ubers games comes out, I will post them more organized here in a format where you can copy and paste this text with updated bold text indicating who you think the winner of the game will be. 1 point per correct game outcome, and an additional 2 bonus points are awarded for anyone that "clean sweeps" a week, i.e. they predict all 5/5 game outcomes correctly.
  • Do not predict for the pertaining week before I post the 5 game text format.
  • You must pick exactly one winner (no bolding the "vs.") for each of the 5 games.
  • Your post will be scored at the end of the week only if it has no edits. You may make a new post if you want to change your predicts so as long as it is before the first game of the week is played (in other words, don't try to cheese the first game outcome by making a post while it's being played. I reserve the right to remove anyone from the competition if their prediction timing seems suspicious for any reason.)

EXAMPLE WEEK 0 FORMAT
Absdaddy vs. Cynara04
Aberforth vs. SiTuM

One possible prediction one can post is:
Absdaddy vs. Cynara04
Aberforth
vs. SiTuM

If you got 3/5 correct, your weekly score would be 3. If you got all 5/5 correct, your weekly score would be 7 (5, then +2 for a clean sweep). The sum of all weekly scores in the regular season will be your final score. The highest scoring individual which was never disqualified will be deemed the winner.

By the way, we highly encourage people to discuss WHY their predicts are the way they are. This is entirely optional, but it's nice to see people overview player matchups so as to justify why one player emerge victorious over another.
what happens if someone gets subbed out

Given there's still the weekend before week 1 goes up, maybe add something like overall best records and rank the players? You could factor that into the whole equation or have a separate prize for that. Anyway I'm looking forward at the very least to reading thoughts on the meta and these predictions :D

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Len is slow so here's the first predicts of the tour.
SoulWind vs Manaphy
Icemaster vs byronthewellwell
M Dragon vs Exiline
Fc vs 64 squares
Poek vs TrueNora

SoulWind vs Manaphy

Manaphy had a fantastic UPL and MW, and has been one of the best players this gen as a whole, but Soulwind is simply a different quality player to everyone he's faced in that time period, and on the biggest stage now too. Frankly, Soulwind has a legit argument for being the single best pokemon player of all time, along with 3 others who didnt sign up at all this tournament, and he's shown the ability to adapt and be fantastic at basically every meta he's ever touched. Manaphy can definitely take this if he can exploit Soulwind's lack of meta experience with off-beat tricks, but with an even matchup, I think Soulwind is definitely the favourite here.

Can these two gentleman to play USM? No? Damn. In which case this goes from a close one to a very lopsided matchup in Icemasters favour, as I dont think I can remember byron playing more than a dozen games of SS since the DLC for Crown Tundra dropped. Byron has proven his skill in USM, but Icemaster is one of the few that can go toe to toe with him in that format, and he has significantly more meta experience in SS. It doesnt help that the only building help byron has is with rabbit, while Ice is one of the most creative and flexible teambuilders around AND he has Tape in support.

M Dragon vs Exiline

I believe its bad luck to predict for my own teammate to win. In my predictions, I will take the sacrifice of betting on Mdragon to go 0-9 so that in the real thing he'll go 9-0.

Fc vs 64 squares

If this were any other gen, I'd bold 64. If this were OU, or any lower tier that isnt NatDex, I'd bold 64. But while 64 would win against FC in BW as confidently as he would someone who doesnt know that Stealth Rock exist, SS is Fc's playground and I swear I've never seen 64 touch the format once. In fairness to him, he beat Icemaster in the recent hype matchup in Seasonal, so 64 is clearly capable of causing an upset here, but Icemaster wasnt using Zamazenta was he? FC's ability to bring pretty much everything and any idea he has, along with the support and guidance of Garay to prevent him from using Malamar, is a very potent combination that I think will be a struggle for 64 for match, in spite of his greater experience on the big stage.

Poek vs TrueNora

Poek is one of the most capable pilots in this field, and Tony one of the most proven builders. While Nora is one of the few who can get the edge over Tony in building, his playing capacity isnt nearly as tested, especially in a high pressure public environment like this, and word from his UPL teammate Sparky says that he doesnt calc at all in games, which sometimes can land him in situations where he spends 4 minutes trying to figure out if he dies to Stealth Rock or not, or where he will Psyshock a Physically Defensive NDM to flex. I expect Poek to get an early advantage and prevent Nora from being able to get the initiative back.

SoulWind vs Manaphy

Haven't seen much of Soulwind in ss ubers but Manaphy certainly has a good grip on it, with Reje helping in the building department I see this week going to him.

Similar logic follows here. Ice has got a better grip on the SS meta and is a unique builder. It's gonna be an uphill battle from the get-go, and I don't think byron can play his way out of it.

M Dragon vs Exiline

Exiline is simply Exilient in this tier. I'm confident enough to say it's 99-1 in Exiline's favor.

Fc vs 64 squares

Not a dimension I see 64 square beating Fc.

Poek vs TrueNora

Nora washed.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
SoulWind vs Manaphy
Icemaster vs byronthewellwell - battle of the 8 seeds
M Dragon vs Exiline - teammate = bold woo yea go foxes!!! sorry if this screws up your plan Aberforth
Fc vs 64 squares - i wanna know what 64 squares did to the pr writer lmao wtf was his description? debuts are hard. fc might be a bit favored despite that but i'll take the (slight?) upset
Poek vs TrueNora

ILSB

formerly IloveScaldBurns
SoulWind vs Manaphy
M Dragon vs Exiline
Fc vs 64 squares
Poek vs TrueNora

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)