Screw Tactics! I have a NUKE!

It seems to be common customs here that everyone has a first RMT. So, after my relative success in the Spring International 2012, I thought I'd celebrate 50 wins with this thread.

I thought the Wi-Fi tournament was great, apart from the fact that there was too much hax - I constantly found myself hating Garchomp for its Sand Veil, something I never thought I'd do. Despite my general lack of time and obsession with Mass Effect 3, I managed to rack up a record of 50 wins, though costing me some precious sleep that last Monday night.

The team was given to me by Fantom0, so thanks to him, and he also allowed me to post this RMT, so, I promise not to screw this one up ^_^
I am looking for proper rates, in case Fantom lets me use the team again some other time. The team is listed in order of importance, most important down to least important. So, without further ado...

Screw Tactics! I have a
Nuke!
Sorry for the massive picture

Rotom-W @ Water Gem
Trait: Levitate
Modest: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpA
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder Wave
-Protect
Easily the most important member of my team, Rotom also happens to be the newest. Rotom was thrown onto the team in the place of Garchomp, because I only had an Adamant one and it was costing me matches to Metagross. Rotom-W helped compensate that problem and more - more often than not, Water Gem Hydro Pump gets about 80% on Metagross, which is clearly downright painful. Rotom-W also helps me against Scizor, which my team struggles against. Rotom is great in that it forms great combinations with Latios, Metagross and Tyranitar, so I'm never short of synergy with this thing.
The more in-depth details are self-explanatory - Water Gem nabs me some extra power with the already dangerous Hydro Pump, and as I was already using Electric Gem elsewhere, it wasn't missed at all. Thunderbolt acts as dual STAB, and helps me significantly against Rain teams. In all honesty, I couldn't be bothered to get a Hidden Power (which is a shame because Gastrodon screws me over), but Thunder Wave is especially helpful in dealing with Chlorophyll and Swift Swim abusers. Protect is really helpful on Rotom, possibly the most useful Protect on the team, so I'm glad I left that there.
Overall, I was really scared about using two electric types on the same team, but it seems as though Rotom is a very different member from Zapdos nearly altogether, and I'll certainly be remembering this in teams to come. Rotom is deservedly the most key member on my team, and I have won so many matches because he is so difficult to stop.

Latios @ Dragon Gem
Trait: Levitate
Timid: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Psychic
-Tailwind
-Protect
Latios is the pokemon god of nukes. Dragon Gem Draco Meteor will OHKO nearly everything that doesn't resist it. Even some Cresselia have seen 75% of their health drop off, so I'm happy with it. Latios's main gameplan is to break something, so it plays no real defensive synergy with my team. It also functions as a great counter to Rain and Sun, removing the deadly threats on their side while Tyranitar attempts to force some switches to keep the sun down and rain away.
Again, details are obvious. Dragon Gem Draco Meteor was essentially the inspiration for this team, because it destroys so much stuff. Psychic is a more reliable attack, for removing fighting types and the like. Tailwind is pure awesomeness in that it both evades Sucker Punch, speeds up your pokemon and causes your opponent to think "I'm screwed" for 3 turns. It's such a great move, and anyone who hasn't used Tailwind Latios yet, I urge them to try it. They may be surprised.
Latios is a great member of the team, and I would not give it up for anything. It's just too strong and too fast, though not fast enough that it does't need T-Wave support from time to time. Its great synergy with Rotom (woudja believe it) has caused the two to become my favourite ever go-to lead whenever I'm stuck choosing, and even when I'm not stuck, It's usually these two anyway.

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Trait: Clear Body
Adamant: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Bullet Punch
-Earthquake
It's METAGROSS!!!!! Yes, the iron legged beast has found its way onto the team because I needed a sleep counter. You won't find Swagger + Lum here, thankyou very much. Metagross has almost always been on my team since Trocadero 2012, when everyone got murdered round 1 if they played against a ScarfLoom. So, Lum Metagross is my counter - take a sleep, knock Breloom/Amoonguss to kingdom come and back again with Zen Headbutt. It also helps with Sandstorm, people are so terrified of it, I can easily predict their moves.
Dual STAB Metagross is great - Meteor Mash allows it to stay true to its task, which is KOing Latios with Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch, and be able to consistently check Abomasnow and Tyranitar without fearing what may be beside them. Psychic STAB in Zen Headbutt allows it to function as a solid check to Hitmontop, courtesy of Clear Body. Earthquake is a good ol' spread move, and I have plenty of fliers/protectors to make sure they're never in danger of getting quaked. Bullet Punch is a helpful priority tool that no Metagross should be without. Protect? Nah.
Metagross has saved me several times, so I'm upset that it couldn't get above #3. Still, it was beaten by, in my eyes, finer stuff, so #3 will have to do. Earthquake was always in danger of killing TTar too, so I can't really say that much more now.

Zapdos @ Electric Gem
Trait: Presure
Modest: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Tailwind
Zapdos, among the most common mons in '12, is only #4 here. Still, #4 ain't too bad, I guess - especially given what Zapdos is doing for the team. Zapdos is a link between my bulky offense and all-out attack, providing half decent bulk and a powerful assortment of moves that hits plenty of the metagame super-effectively, as well as that Tailwind to mess up speed stuff. He is also (rather annoyingly) my best counter to Garchomp when Latios has been crippled by his own Draco Meteor, but seems to miss all his Hidden Powers (no thanks to Sand Veil haxxxxxx). He is also quite good at taking on rain, thanks again to Tailwind.
The EVs focus on SpA since my Spe is being boosted by Tailwind when I need it, but max Spe allows me to speed creep other Zapdos. Electric Gem Modest Thunderbolt OHKOs most Rotom-W, which is always helpful, and puts large dents in most things. Heat Wave is a brilliant spread move that is the key to Zapdos's success over Thundurus, giving him a fire attack and a way to beat at Metagross and a powerful spread attack. Hidden Power Ice is for coverage, whacking Garchomp silly among other dragons, and with a Tailwind up, Zapdos is quite capable of checking Salamence. Tailwind is brilliant. Protect? yeeeaaahh...........
Though Zapdos and Rotom-W have always been considered to have the same roles, they really play extremely different functions on this team, and have even seen some play together as my lead, though it hasn't always gone well... Regardless, my team is rather lacking on both spread and fire attacks, and Zapdos gives both.

Tyranitar @ Dark Gem
Trait: Sand Stream
-Crunch
-Rock Slide
-Stone Edge
-Protect
Truth be told, I would have had something more useful than Tyranitar, if it weren't so damn good at destroying Cresselia. My team hates Cresselia, so I decided to use Tyranitar, who can OHKO Cresselia and doesn't die to HP Fire. I don't care about Metagross, because I have too many checks to Metagross. Tyranitar is great against most special-based mons, but terriable against a large amount of physical mons, getting OHKOed by anything physical fighting and Metagross, but I couldn't have Focus Sash for fear of missing the OHKO on Cress, which is what TTar's here for.
Atk comes first to destroy Cresselia with a Dark Gem boosted Crunch, then HP so I can tank special hits and some physical hits well (I won a match because my Tyranitar survived my Metagross's Earthquake with 4HP ^_^). Rock Slide gives me a good spread attack, whereas Stone Edge is better at obliterating Zapdos (and because I'm too lazy to get Low Kick). Protect is just Protect.
Again, anything but TTar - he was just a burden for most matches, though the four above him were perfectly fine on their own. Just useful for taking down Cresselia - which was useful.

Hitmontop @ Fighting Gem
Trait: Intimidate
-Fake Out
-Close Combat
-Sucker Punch
-Wide Guard
I'll say it right now - Hitmontop sucks. During the whole tournament, he got about 5 matches in, and he was in all the matches I lost. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but all Hitmontop really did was slow down Garchomp - if that. He did do a good job against some hail teams, though, so I will thank him for that. What I won't thank him for, however, was opening up my weakness to Scizor, and dying to everything. I guess he was more of a psychological threat.
Fake Out was supposed to be useful in incapacitating one threat for one turn while something like Latios or Zapdos either set up Tailwind or destroyed something. Fighting Gem Close Combat hurts when I can get it to hit something, while Sucker Punch is mainly for Latis that are stupid enough to use a damaging move with Hitmontop on the field. Wide Guard was possibly the most helpful move, and I predicted well enough with it to force Abomasnows to use Ice Shard the whole time ^_^
Hitmontop was the most depressing member of my team, though I did enjoy using it when I did. Still, I reckon Infernape would have been much more helpful in getting rid of Scizor - so that's something I'll be sure to tell Fantom.

Hope you enjoyed reading!

Just a nitpick rather than a team rate, but I don't think Dark Gem Crunch from Ttar OHKO's max physically defensive Cresselia. In fact, it does 64.3% - 76.7%, so you might want to reconsider your statement and/or your Tyranitar if you really needed the OHKO.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just a nitpick rather than a team rate, but I don't think Dark Gem Crunch from Ttar OHKO's max physically defensive Cresselia. In fact, it does 64.3% - 76.7%, so you might want to reconsider your statement and/or your Tyranitar if you really needed the OHKO.
This is true. I did a bunch of calcs against physically defensive Cresselia a while back, and the only thing that can OHKO it without a crit or partner support is a Bug Gem Megahorn from Escavalier or Heracross (Adamant Hustle Durant has a chance of getting it, but it's only 2% and nobody uses Adamant Durant so I'm not counting that). The strongest Crunch comes from Zweilous and only does 84% max.

I don't see very many max def Cresselias, none during the IC12. Still, these things can drop to Crunch and something else. Tyranitar makes Cresselia less of a concern.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)