Pokémon Serperior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am torn between the dual-screens set and the all-out Leaf Storm boosting slaughter set. They both seem great. I guess this comes down to personal preference and what team I'm using Serp on, but any advice would be helpful.

There are actually quite a few checks AV Serp handles better

Starmie's Ice Beam, Raikou's HP Ice, Azelf's Flamethrower (remember these 3 outspeed Serperior with HP Fire due to max 30 Speed IV), Thundurus' HP Ice/Flying, Keldeo's HP Flying (for safer switch-in), Slowbro's Ice Beam/Fire Blast (same reason), Mega Sceptile's Dragon Pulse, Mega Garde's Hyper Voice, Zapdos and Gengar. Probably more things I'm forgetting. Not saying it's necessarily better than LO but it has its advantages in some match-ups.

Isn't LO>Assault Vest cause it helps much better for cleaning/offensive purposes? Also HP Fire and Dragon Pulse provide perfect coverage bar Heatran, without them you will not be able to pass against Ferro,Scizor,Latis.

Glare is also an interesting option since it discourages Scarfers for coming in an puts more pressure on your opponent when switching, it also lessens the need to predict to a degree between an incoming Lando-T or Latios for example since both of them can threaten Serperior if they come in(considering both of them usually run Scarf).

Karxrida

Eventide
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
There are actually quite a few checks AV Serp handles better

Starmie's Ice Beam, Raikou's HP Ice, Azelf's Flamethrower (remember these 3 outspeed Serperior with HP Fire due to max 30 Speed IV), Thundurus' HP Ice/Flying, Keldeo's HP Flying (for safer switch-in), Slowbro's Ice Beam/Fire Blast (same reason), Mega Sceptile's Dragon Pulse, Mega Garde's Hyper Voice, Zapdos and Gengar. Probably more things I'm forgetting. Not saying it's necessarily better than LO but it has its advantages in some match-ups.
You still shouldn't be dealing with some of those anyway. Starmie's LO Ice Beam still does half, Raikou might just Volt Switch out, Azelf can just use Knock Off to neuter you (btw all of them outspeed because Serperior's Speed is 113 while they are all 115), Thundurus will use T-Wave first to cripple you and you're boned if it used Nasty Plot before you come in, Keldeo is more likely to go for Secret Sword (Specs can OHKO after Stealth Rock while Scarf 2HKOs so have fun trying to counter it), Slowbro is not staying in anyway unless it's being used for a sac and might have Thunder Wave to cripple, Zapdos is one of your checks I believe, and Gengar can OHKO with LO Sludge Wave while. You do beat some of them with a Leaf Storm boost beforehand (like Sceptile and Gardevoir) but it's extremely iffy and you're better off just having a Life Orb to maximize your damage output. Besides, plus Assault Vest is better on Mons that can act as pivots (which is NOT what Serperior wants to be doing).

Actually, I know we all said life orb is the best item for snakey, but what about meadow plate? Bluff a choice item, maybe? You'll be clicking leaf storm most of the time, anyway.

Also does anyone have a contrary serp lying around? I don't care about IVs or any of that; I'll do that myself. Just need contrary. I um...I don't have much to offer, unless any of you folks really like mixed tier battles. As in, like, very mixed tier; we're talkin' sevipers and kecleons and the mega sceptiles (feat. 1 OU [or BL in one's case] mon on each team). Good cartridge games are hard to find, right? <:D
Life Orb is generally needed for the power. Meadow Plate just isn't quite enough, especially when it's not boosting Dragon and HP.

As for your second, check out the Wi-Fi forum.

Actually, I know we all said life orb is the best item for snakey, but what about meadow plate? Bluff a choice item, maybe? You'll be clicking leaf storm most of the time, anyway.
+2 252 SpA Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 238-280 (78.8 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You need life orb.

EDIT: Ninja'd

+2 252 SpA Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 238-280 (78.8 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You need life orb.

EDIT: Ninja'd
+2 252 SpA Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 238-280 (78.8 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after switching into Leaf Storm.

Life orb is arguable, but it definitely isn't needed. If anything, it needs timing.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
So I started using Serperior on my team today, and I must say that it has a great niche in OU. If you can get rid of Heatran and Talonflame, then Serperior is an amazing Contrary Sweeper. I just wish that it got Draco Meteor. But would that be OP?

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
I haven't had time to test this, so this is pretty much theory, but Serperior's best friend seems to be Dugtrio as it traps and KOs Heatran and can set up Stealth Rock, which severely limits Talonflame's ability to switch.

Karxrida

Eventide

Also does anyone have a contrary serp lying around? I don't care about IVs or any of that; I'll do that myself. Just need contrary. I um...I don't have much to offer, unless any of you folks really like mixed tier battles. As in, like, very mixed tier; we're talkin' sevipers and kecleons and the mega sceptiles (feat. 1 OU [or BL in one's case] mon on each team). Good cartridge games are hard to find, right? <:D
Nobody is going to think you're Choiced because being Choiced is bad for Serperior; all you're going to do is make them think you're Ass Vest or Light Clay unless they decided to calc it and notice a damage difference that shouldn't be there.

So I see I'm not the only one running a magnezone+dugtrio+serperior core? They do work pretty well together. You can basicly forego hidden power if you have those two around (I prefer knock off to cripple/remove shed shells). All you need then is something to check scarfers, firebird, and the fast megas and you should be good. Bad thing is the typing syngery with these mons.. it's pretty, ass. Not to mention dugtrio is piss poor frail and is bothered more by hazards than even charizard with sash broken.

Karxrida

Eventide
So I see I'm not the only one running a magnezone+dugtrio+serperior core? They do work pretty well together. You can basicly forego hidden power if you have those two around (I prefer knock off to cripple/remove shed shells). All you need then is something to check scarfers, firebird, and the fast megas and you should be good. Bad thing is the typing syngery with these mons.. it's pretty, ass.
I'd dump Dugtrio and use HP Ground, Leaf Storm, D-Pulse, and Knock Off on Serperior. You still get past Heatran (Leaf Storm + boosted HP Ground kills all variants after SR) while Knock Off is good for beating Chansey and you have Shed Shell removal covered.

One thing that I always ask myself when building serperior sets is.. "Is it worth foregoing giga drain"

Leaf storm does hit like a truck.. but between hazards, LO, accuracy, and the biggest problem for a move that's meant to be spammed.. 8 PP I feel like giga drain alongside leaf storm is pretty vital for serp to stick around long. I don't know though..

Leaf Storm PP is not an issue, after doing it the 1st time to get the boosts a lot of the pokemon Serperior tends to face(Ferrothorn,HeatranScizor,Metagross,Latis) are better handled by HP Fire/Ground and Dragon Pulse.

Giga Drain may seem good on paper but almost all the times going for Leaf Storm who gets the +2 boost and also allows certain 2OHKOes is much better, also forgetting Glare or Knock Off that cripples incoming scarfers or checks seems not that appealing.

So I've been testing today, and Serperior/MGyara/Fire type is actually really good. It utterly breaks stall teams like they are tissue paper. has some trouble with bulky / hyper offense depending on what fire type you use. Run Talonflame and you're weak to Heatran, run Darm Victini and you're weak to priority. Easy problems to fix though considering you still have half a team left to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)