Metagame Shared Power [Under Re-Construction!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think aerodactil is better than crobat. His mega has a very useful ability and if you see harvest then you dont mega evolve and you win. He beats beedril and even manages to speed tie him, he also has taunt, stealth rock and i think he has tail wind too.
That is correct. I did not consider Unnerve Aerodactyl in my original post, it clearly outclasses Crobat, even non-mega with Taunt/Tailwind/Defog and whatnot. Crobat's only advantages then are perhaps U-turn and Hypnosis (on a No Guard team).

This meta looks fun! But isn't the team below a little unbeatable?

Like, how do you beat Fluffy + Unaware + Regen? It even has Flash Fire so the opponent can't take advantage of Fluffy! You'd be inclined to use a special attacker to break through this, right? But Is there any Special Attacker Chansey doesn't wall without set up?

I think something has to be done to address this kind of team, cuz' it genuinely seems broken, before you say anything about Corrosion, keep in mind Chansey has Natural Cure, but even then, Poison Heal would also be a great option here. Mold Breaker is restricted, so it's impossible to ignore Unaware and Magic Bounce.

I know that this is all theorymonning, but I can't think of any broken strategy that would let me beat this type of team...
Fluffy is out, pal.

NEW BANS!

After the Shared Power tournament we had yesterday with all the unbans, I am happy to announce that the new unbans are out. It’s been a little over a week since the metagame has been released, and with all the information we’ve gathered, I’m happy to announce the following bans:

Multiscale has now been BANNED from sharing in Shared Power!

Clefable is now the widowed queen of Shared Power, after losing the sole king. Multiscale was banned for many reasons, but mostly, it just enabled stall to be the absolutely dangerous and failsafe playstyle it’s evolved to be. Dragonite was incredibly spammable on absolutely any Shared Power team, and this was toxic towards the development of the metagame. The decision to ultimately ban the king and not the queen might be offputting to some, but the tournament we had earlier only highlighted a metagame with much more options for creativity. No longer are teams strapped for a slot just to deal with Dragonite teams (Skill Link!!) and now, teams can actually feel like they’re not obligated to include this ability when teambuilding. Combined with Magic Guard, Multiscale was always guaranteed to be up, and for this reason, the usage of Mold Breaker users like Pangoro and Kyurem-Black went up. We believe that restricting Multiscale is a right step towards balancing Shared Power. Additionally, Without further ado, next ban!

Harvest!

I’d like to preface this by saying that I don’t think Harvest or even Starf Berry are necessarily “broken” in Shared Power. What they do enable is the use of a very uncompetitive strategy almost mirroring that of Moody. Harvest, in tandem with Gluttony and even Drought, allows for anything to get free recovery every single time it gets attacked, making most Pokemon impossible to kill outside of otherwise very gimmicky countermeasures. Like Sturdy, this is toxic towards the development of the metagame, and is something that I believe the majority of people can agree we are far better off without.

Mega Beedrill!

Once again, we have decided to NOT ban Skill Link (The removal of Multiscale and Sturdy hurt their niche severely) but the issue still remains. Mega Beedrill is one of the greatest wallbreakers in the metagame, and under Adaptability, Skill Link, and Technician, is able to nail even resists like Clefable upon switching into its Pin Missile. Not even resists can stop the power of its Pin Missile. Ideally, we’d think Skill Link is the enabler here, but upon further thought, the next best Skill Link user is Cloyster/Cincinno, which are not nearly as good. On top of its wallbreaking power, Mega Beedrill has a fantastic Speed tier that lets it outspeed very fast Pokemon such as Alakazam. Lending Adaptability to the entire team is just the icing on the bitter cake, and for these reasons, we believe the tier is better off without the presence of Mega Beedrill. If Tough Claws is added into the mix, then not even Steel types can hope to wall Mega Beedrill’s Drill Run, and any additional defensive stops are just weakened by Knock Off unless they have a Poison Heal Pokemon. Skill Link teams may opt to run Mega Heracross now which is an even stronger wallbreaker but has the cost of a much, much lower Speed stat, making it a much more manageable threat in the metagame.

For now, we will be keeping a close eye on Sturdy. It was originally going to be on this post but after speaking with some members of the community, the overall decision is to wait on this. I understand the crazy nature of the metagame means it’s going to be very hard to balance, but I truly do believe this is a step in the right direction! To summarize, Multiscale, Harvest, and Mega Beedrill are all BANNED from Shared Power! I will be tagging Kris and The Immortal in order to implement this on Showdown whenever they can. That’s all for now! Here’s to a balanced metagame, we can do it!

Fluffy is out, pal.
Didn't it ever cross your mind that I made that post, you know, before it was banned from sharing? Like, how difficult is it to scroll down two posts to see that fluffy was not banned. It's like the third or so time that someone quotes that for zero reason. Not only that, but after getting the hang of the meta (that post was made before it was even playable), I realize that Stall is indeed kinda bad against any team with Regerator, because it would always come down to endless switches. If the team paired up against Stall doesn't have regenerator then it becomes a lot more threatening cuz eventually the Stall player should win the PP war.

Also, on another note, I'm very happy to see this becoming OTOTM and happy to see those new bans as well.

[
The following clauses are in effect:
- Speed Abilities Clause - Abilities that strictly boost Speed may not be shared.
- Weather Abilities Clause - Abilities that boost evasion under weather may not be used.

Does Swift Swim fall under "Speed Abilities Clause" and thus cannot be shared?

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
NEW BANS!

After the Shared Power tournament we had yesterday with all the unbans, I am happy to announce that the new unbans are out. It’s been a little over a week since the metagame has been released, and with all the information we’ve gathered, I’m happy to announce the following bans:

Clefable is now the widowed queen of Shared Power, after losing the sole king. Multiscale was banned for many reasons, but mostly, it just enabled stall to be the absolutely dangerous and failsafe playstyle it’s evolved to be. Dragonite was incredibly spammable on absolutely any Shared Power team, and this was toxic towards the development of the metagame. The decision to ultimately ban the king and not the queen might be offputting to some, but the tournament we had earlier only highlighted a metagame with much more options for creativity. No longer are teams strapped for a slot just to deal with Dragonite teams (Skill Link!!) and now, teams can actually feel like they’re not obligated to include this ability when teambuilding. Combined with Magic Guard, Multiscale was always guaranteed to be up, and for this reason, the usage of Mold Breaker users like Pangoro and Kyurem-Black went up. We believe that restricting Multiscale is a right step towards balancing Shared Power. Additionally, Without further ado, next ban!

Harvest!

I’d like to preface this by saying that I don’t think Harvest or even Starf Berry are necessarily “broken” in Shared Power. What they do enable is the use of a very uncompetitive strategy almost mirroring that of Moody. Harvest, in tandem with Gluttony and even Drought, allows for anything to get free recovery every single time it gets attacked, making most Pokemon impossible to kill outside of otherwise very gimmicky countermeasures. Like Sturdy, this is toxic towards the development of the metagame, and is something that I believe the majority of people can agree we are far better off without.

Mega Beedrill!

Once again, we have decided to NOT ban Skill Link (The removal of Multiscale and Sturdy hurt their niche severely) but the issue still remains. Mega Beedrill is one of the greatest wallbreakers in the metagame, and under Adaptability, Skill Link, and Technician, is able to nail even resists like Clefable upon switching into its Pin Missile. Not even resists can stop the power of its Pin Missile. Ideally, we’d think Skill Link is the enabler here, but upon further thought, the next best Skill Link user is Cloyster/Cincinno, which are not nearly as good. On top of its wallbreaking power, Mega Beedrill has a fantastic Speed tier that lets it outspeed very fast Pokemon such as Alakazam. Lending Adaptability to the entire team is just the icing on the bitter cake, and for these reasons, we believe the tier is better off without the presence of Mega Beedrill. If Tough Claws is added into the mix, then not even Steel types can hope to wall Mega Beedrill’s Drill Run, and any additional defensive stops are just weakened by Knock Off unless they have a Poison Heal Pokemon. Skill Link teams may opt to run Mega Heracross now which is an even stronger wallbreaker but has the cost of a much, much lower Speed stat, making it a much more manageable threat in the metagame.

For now, we will be keeping a close eye on Sturdy. It was originally going to be on this post but after speaking with some members of the community, the overall decision is to wait on this. I understand the crazy nature of the metagame means it’s going to be very hard to balance, but I truly do believe this is a step in the right direction! To summarize, Multiscale, Harvest, and Mega Beedrill are all BANNED from Shared Power! I will be tagging Kris and The Immortal in order to implement this on Showdown whenever they can. That’s all for now! Here’s to a balanced metagame, we can do it!
You were in the right direction, however you banned the element. First of all I will start with harvest which should not banned, what exactly about harvest is broken? I think that the Starf Berry is the problem because it boosts a stat by +2 and can be used consecutively giving the user lots of stat boosts. Any other berry with harvest is healthy, because they only boost a specified stat by +1 so you wont potentially end up with a +6 speed +6 attack mon only from using sub. Now moving on to skill link, majority of the community thinks that skill link is the problem and not mega beedrill. Is mega bee broken with anything other then skill link...no, is there other pokemon broken with skill link? Yes! From cloyster to cinccino to breloom to crustle, there is many skill link pokemon that are just as broken after a shellsmash or can just use the moves raw power to break teams apart and dominate the metagame. Moving on to multiscale, I do agree that magic guard and multiscale is broken together however multiscale is not the problem its magic guard. Magic guard enables many things to broken including Focus sash, multiscale, and sturdy while also invalidating many things in the meta including hazards, status, residual damage, and abilities like aftermath and roughskin. I dont see magic guard being healthy at all to the metagame, while multiscale and sturdy/sash help prevent HO from dominating. Obviously innards out should be banned too, not sure why that ability is not banned yet anyways, because it auto wins against every team without magic guard. In the future please see what the community thinks about what we will ban instead of going to your own conclusion on what to ban.

[
The following clauses are in effect:
- Speed Abilities Clause - Abilities that strictly boost Speed may not be shared.
- Weather Abilities Clause - Abilities that boost evasion under weather may not be used.

Does Swift Swim fall under "Speed Abilities Clause" and thus cannot be shared?
yes swift swim, sand rush, slush rush, and chlorophyll are all banned from passing

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
May as well post about this formally in the thread: there's something REALLY nasty about Prankster + Substitute/Protect + Poison Heal + Pressure. This combination affords you an effectively uncapped amount of free Pressure turns against any foe.
Taunt can buy a few turns to maybe take down one of these mons, but with the addition of Pressure, PP stalling even a Taunt is not far-fetched. Infiltrator has few viable users (and Noivern already gets Boomburst, which is a tad redundant) and tends to not be worth a teamslot against any other archetype. Unnerve was possible to cram into teams like Solar Power abuse thanks to pre-Mega Houndoom, which solved Prankster Sub in the context against Starf berry spam (thanks to no Pressure and no poison heal, it was possible to have an even footing PP wise). This berry archetype is now banned, but a fundamental issue of Prankster Sub remains.
Try to use your own priority attacks such as Aqua Jet, and an easy resist such as Toxapex switches in to form 2hko substitutes. As it stands, your best bet is to have a Skill Link or Mold Breaker Scrappy Triage team (most other teams prepare for these through and through, making them somewhat untenable upper ladder) or a fellow stall team and Regenerate your way to the 1000 turn forced end of the battle.
Now, Prankster on its own is extremely versatile and should not be banned just for this. I'd personally consider a complex ban for Prankster + Substitute (on any one 'mon) (because I'm just so salty about it at the moment), and there have been a few of those so far, so this wouldn't be so unprecedented.

May as well post about this formally in the thread: there's something REALLY nasty about Prankster + Substitute/Protect + Poison Heal + Pressure. This combination affords you an effectively uncapped amount of free Pressure turns against any foe.
Taunt can buy a few turns to maybe take down one of these mons, but with the addition of Pressure, PP stalling even a Taunt is not far-fetched. Infiltrator has few viable users (and Noivern already gets Boomburst, which is a tad redundant) and tends to not be worth a teamslot against any other archetype. Unnerve was possible to cram into teams like Solar Power abuse thanks to pre-Mega Houndoom, which solved Prankster Sub in the context against Starf berry spam (thanks to no Pressure and no poison heal, it was possible to have an even footing PP wise). This berry archetype is now banned, but a fundamental issue of Prankster Sub remains.
Try to use your own priority attacks such as Aqua Jet, and an easy resist such as Toxapex switches in to form 2hko substitutes. As it stands, your best bet is to have a Skill Link or Mold Breaker Scrappy Triage team (most other teams prepare for these through and through, making them somewhat untenable upper ladder) or a fellow stall team and Regenerate your way to the 1000 turn forced end of the battle.
Now, Prankster on its own is extremely versatile and should not be banned just for this. I'd personally consider a complex ban for Prankster + Substitute (on any one 'mon) (because I'm just so salty about it at the moment), and there have been a few of those so far, so this wouldn't be so unprecedented.
I have tried it against the bot (which is just as good as a player when you consider a strategy like this), and while being good on paper it fails in practice. First, if you constantly switch your opponent will just lose pp, and they can't touch you without attacking (potentially compromising the substitute spam), and Substitute and Protect both have only 16 pp, giving you a total of 32. Pressure means that your opponent will use 64 pp in the same time. Now, with 4 moveslots that requires that all moves only have 16 pp, which doesn't generally happen. Spite can be used, but only if your opponent is breaking the substitute.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
I have tried it against the bot (which is just as good as a player when you consider a strategy like this), and while being good on paper it fails in practice. First, if you constantly switch your opponent will just lose pp, and they can't touch you without attacking (potentially compromising the substitute spam), and Substitute and Protect both have only 16 pp, giving you a total of 32. Pressure means that your opponent will use 64 pp in the same time. Now, with 4 moveslots that requires that all moves only have 16 pp, which doesn't generally happen. Spite can be used, but only if your opponent is breaking the substitute.
I mean, the rest of the team follows a standard Stall format with Regenerator allowing free switching in a lot of situations and Unaware preventing nearly any boosts from being a threat. A lot of those 32 combined PP with sub/protect can be diluted with Regenerator turns. Hell, a lot of sets lack non-target moves and have otherwise low PP, so it actually can be pretty likely to lose even in a one-on-one situation with PP.

A core I've been messing around with is
blaziken.gif

Blaziken @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
- Earthquake

kartana.gif

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

tapulele.gif

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock

Blaziken is the star of the team. After two Speed Boosts it outspeeds virtually the entire meta, and Psychic Terrain prevents it from being revenged by Pinsir. I initially was running Firium Z on it to secure the OHKO on things like Doublade, but decided to change it out for a Focus Sash to guarantee a Speed Boost (there is a Magic Guard user on the team). High Jump Kick and Flare Blitz are strong stabs, Protect is to get a second Speed Boost, and Earthquake is just for coverage, though I have been thinking about testing Thunder Punch for Bruxish or a special move to avoid Alakazam's Counter. Max Speed and max Attack with Jolly naturally raises Blaziken's Attack with Beast Boost.

Kartana provides Beast Boost to Blaziken and gives good grass coverage against ground types. Kartana also has immediate speed versus Blaziken's need to set up. I've found it very useful to OHKO Scarf Blacephalon/bring it down to its Sturdy.

Tapu Lele is there for Psychic Terrain and as a strong special wallbreaker. Psychic Terrain prevents priority revenge killing or Prankster Thunder Wave from messing up the other two. Specs Psychic hits even resists hard under Terrain, and also gets the Special Attack boost on kills.

The glaring weakness of this team is Webs. I was thinking of replacing Tapu Lele with Tsareena for the Rapid Spin support while staying priority immune, but I thought it was more useful to have the very strong special wallbreaker and to disrupt Electric Terrain-oriented teams more. I've been pretty impressed by the core so far, it's beaten bulkier teams with Stamina as well as offensive teams. I haven't tested it out against Webs or stall teams yet

I tried crobat after being defeated by a harvest team. It is niche I would say outside of anti harvest role.

I think that the main problem with this are multihit mons and weavile. Also, this ability sinergizes well with mega diancie and no guard, letting moves like hurricane, zap cannon, air slash, dynamic punch and dragon rush never fail. But i never saw a extremely good SG team.

I think aerodactil is better than crobat. His mega has a very useful ability and if you see harvest then you dont mega evolve and you win. He beats beedril and even manages to speed tie him, he also has taunt, stealth rock and i think he has tail wind too.
Nice Suggestion

I've only started playing this meta a day or two ago and I already made it to the top of the ladder
View attachment 100890

At first I was using fun stuff, like contrary webs and toxic orb teams. However, during most of my laddering to get to this point, I was using this cancerous team that I built this morning.
https://hastebin.com/ihogulosih.diff

It's a multiscale semi stall that is almost impossible to break without mold breaker, which is restricted. The only losses I've gotten with this team are when I misplay horribly or when I forfeit because I don't want to waste my time pp stalling. Contrary Kyurem-B has a field day against it, but oddly enough I haven't faced any sofar with this team. Stall like this is broken, and something needs to be banned. A mediocre player with barely any experience in the format shouldn't be able to make it to the top of the ladder with something he theorymonned several hours earlier.
This team is still mediocre and can be broken down with serene grace flinch+statuse

NEW BANS!

Harvest!

Mega Beedrill!

Why is sturdy still allowed? You didn't mention it directly and it's not in the OP but:
(The removal of Multiscale and Sturdy hurt their niche severely)
And if multiscale is gone then sturdy very much deserves to go too.

NEW BANS!

Harvest!

Mega Beedrill!

Why is Sturdy still allowed? You realize Sturdy allows obnoxious strategy like level 1 Endeavor spam right? It still restricts mons to Moldy and Skill Link, just like Multiscale. I don't think waiting is the right decision.

That’s the team you used against me
do you mean me vs you

Why is sturdy still allowed? You didn't mention it directly and it's not in the OP but:

And if multiscale is gone then sturdy very much deserves to go too.
now the metagame will become scarved(full of choice scarves) and Offensive. I am okwith Harvest being gone as it ruined my day for sure. Next option should be regenerator for ban consideration

Fluffy is out, pal.
he posted the team before fuffy expired

Why do people want to ban Regenerator so much? If it wasn't banned while Multiscale was still allowed, why would it be now?

On a side note, I would like to say that I support a Skill Link ban even after Multiscale and Sturdy are banned. One, because it remains the best offensive playstyle, breaking sashes, getting through subs, having extremely powerful and reliable moves with Technician, but also because now that Multiscale is gone, Defensive teams will rely much more on Stamina or Defensive set-up, and the offensive playstyle that benefits the most from Unaware is Skill Link, given how they basically insta-lose against Stamina if they don't have it. Without Skill Link, offensive teams would be more diverse and less inclined to run Unaware (I think, atleast). All of this, of course, in case we stick with our current ban list.

Why do people want to ban Regenerator so much? If it wasn't banned while Multiscale was still allowed, why would it be now?

On a side note, I would like to say that I support a Skill Link ban even after Multiscale and Sturdy are banned. One, because it remains the best offensive playstyle, breaking sashes, getting through subs, having extremely powerful and reliable moves with Technician, but also because now that Multiscale is gone, Defensive teams will rely much more on Stamina or Defensive set-up, and the offensive playstyle that benefits the most from Unaware is Skill Link, given how they basically insta-lose against Stamina if they don't have it. Without Skill Link, offensive teams would be more diverse and less inclined to run Unaware (I think, atleast). All of this, of course, in case we stick with our current ban list.
if you are against unaware the boosting moves should be ban

this is the reason i wanted to ban Regeneator

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
Regenerator is a fine ability, however like other abilities and items (multiscale, sturdy, sash) it becomes broken and uncompetitive with magic guard. The real problem is magic guard and it needs to be banned, if not then we will end up banning a bunch of abilities that are healthy and competitive. Magic Guard just invalidates many abilities/moves and makes abilities broken, I see no reason keeping it in the metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)