Metagame Shared Power

heehee type immunity go brrrrrr
i like gimmick teams! what can i say.

i won't go into depth on this one as it's relatively self explanatory.
whole team is built with type coverage and "patching weak points" in mind
when fully active it provides 5-way type immunity with an accuracy boost (bonus fire attack boost if victini activates flash fire)

Zeraora @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
  • electric immunity, can be replaced with motor drive or lightning rod​
  • fast physical​
  • nobody expects play rough zeraora!

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
  • ground immunity (note in mashups where shared power is not the base, levitate will not be shared- if using in a non-sp-based mashup, replace)​
  • fast physical, yes you read that right. dragon dance + recover latias is surprisingly bulky​

Gastrodon-East @ Assault Vest
Ability: Storm Drain
  • water immunity (can be replaced with water absorb, maybe dry skin if you activate flash fire before)​
  • bulky special​

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry (or Blunder Policy)
Ability: Sap Sipper
  • grass immunity (having pokemon weak against a type only to have it immune to it is the best gimmick ever, no i dont take constructive criticism)​
  • bulky physical​
  • may wanna activate victory star before use!!! azu has mild sweep potential (victory star + belly drum + powerful lower acc moves), keep it in your pocket for a bit​

Heatran @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
  • fire immunity (flash fire is one of the only good fire-immune abilities lets be honest- if you use dry skin as replacement for any other member, activate flash fire first)​
  • bulky special​
  • activate levitate before use to avoid 4x damage!! assault vest can assist it if sent out before though​
  • fire stab​

Victini @ Leftovers
Ability: Victory Star
  • sweep potential! (immunities + atk boosts from sap sip + special boosts from storm drain)​
  • all-around with less focus on defenses, meant to be sent out near last​
  • victory star to assist mons like azumarill with 100% or less acc moves​
  • fire stab​

Last edited:
I am confused as to why Turboblaze and Teravolt are not banned while Mold Breaker is. Turboblaze/Teravolt are the same as Mold Breaker (except for mons that get them), so why not ban these Abilities?

Out of curiosity, how would Corrosion and Poison Touch/Poison Point work together? I was thinking of a team that could abuse Sniper, Merciless, and Corrosion maybe with Poison Touch+Skill Link for poison spreading. Just wanted to see how the mechanics would interact.

Out of curiosity, how would Corrosion and Poison Touch/Poison Point work together? I was thinking of a team that could abuse Sniper, Merciless, and Corrosion maybe with Poison Touch+Skill Link for poison spreading. Just wanted to see how the mechanics would interact.
Corrosion lets you poison poison and steel types with poison point/touch. I built a similar team a while ago. It wasn’t good, but it’s very fun.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1501438835-xx3fqs5dom0tc6g037vq5oi1kzvn56zpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8sharedpower-1501437545-u24gtcrs0jeny0z0lliw58mxy34oeswpw

When I do /challenge gen8monotype @@@ shared power, abilities like levitate does not share. However, if I do /challenge sharedpower @@@ same type clause, levitate does share. I also realized that the problem is with the shared power tag, no the shared power metagame. It seems that the shared power tag doesn't actually share a lot of abilities. From knowledge playing shared power freeforalls, I realized that abillity like air lock, sometimes guts, don;t work either.

When I do /challenge gen8monotype @@@ shared power, abilities like levitate does not share. However, if I do /challenge sharedpower @@@ same type clause, levitate does share. I also realized that the problem is with the shared power tag, no the shared power metagame. It seems that the shared power tag doesn't actually share a lot of abilities. From knowledge playing shared power freeforalls, I realized that abillity like air lock, sometimes guts, don;t work either.
Most of the time, abilities affect events. For instance, Lightning Rod affects the RedirectTarget event so that Electric moves get redirected to the ability holder and the TryHit event so they then get absorbed (assuming the redirection succeeded). However, there are a few places in the code where this is not done (as you noticed, testing for weather and groundedness are two such cases). When you use Shared Power as the main format, it is able to override these tests, so all abilities work, but when you use it as an additional format then only the event based abilities work.

Most of the time, abilities affect events. For instance, Lightning Rod affects the RedirectTarget event so that Electric moves get redirected to the ability holder and the TryHit event so they then get absorbed (assuming the redirection succeeded). However, there are a few places in the code where this is not done (as you noticed, testing for weather and groundedness are two such cases). When you use Shared Power as the main format, it is able to override these tests, so all abilities work, but when you use it as an additional format then only the event based abilities work.
Can we please patch it, I would like to have a shared power random battle that works?

So I've just tried a team with Zoroark on it, and illusion didn't have any effect on anything other than Zoroark. Is that a bug, or just one of the quirks of illusion being a pretty unique ability.

https://pokepast.es/0d9e2bb193c9a4a9
I have been using this team for a bit, and I have found it very fun to use (even if it has some weaknesses), specially since the combo of Adaptability +Steel Worker + Tough Claws on Scarfed Kartana is very strong, Scizor's and Bisharp's priority moves and abilities help too, like technician makes Kartana's and Lycanroc-Dusk's Aerial Ace and Accelerock Stronger, while Defiant is very useful against Defog, Sticky Web teams and Intimidate teams, though the later 2 I havent seen being used that much this time around. Defensive teams are a bit of a pain to deal with, and Psychic Terrain teams are also a bit tricky to get rid off, however I have seen psychic terrain being used mostly in Flame Boost + Quick Feet teams, in which Scarfed Kartana is faster than the mons there even after the Quick Feet boost.
Over all idk how powerful or strong this team is but i have a blast using it

It would appear rhe ladder was reset as I've just got home form the gym to see the 518 elo I grinded from 1000 this morning was all for not. I am kinda disappointed the dead 1500s players were not cleaned prior to the metas release as having to grind rank 3 again and eventually rank 1 from 1000 again is going to be a pain. Guess that's what I get for going all out on day 1 :(

Proof:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8sharedpower-1521528159

Luckily shows my old elo but ladder says I'm 1050.

EDIT: BUG REPORT: It seems the queue still thinks I'm 1500 cause there is no way the game got this unpopular from finding matches this morning even at 1400 in a few seconds to 4 mins per match now.

Last edited:
:cloyster: Shared Power State of the Union :crustle:

Hello and welcome to another month with Shared Power in the spotlight!

A bit of history: Shared Power was OMotM most recently in January 2021. Back then, the council did some surveys and bans, and we ended up with a metagame we believed to be largely balanced. At the end of the month, we put together a list of the dominant strategies and compiled them into a Shared Power team compendium. There are a variety of offensive, balanced, stall, and gimmick teams there that I believe can all be used effectively — it's a good place to start if you're looking for teambuilding inspiration!

We are always trying to make the meta even balanced-er, though. Currently, we believe that Skill Link and Sturdy are two of the strongest abilities in the tier, on the cusp of overwhelming, and certainly factors that need to be considered when teambuilding. We would like to ask the community — what are your thoughts on Skill Link and Sturdy, and what strategies do you use to counter them on your teams?

Now, for a few PSAs: I would like to point out that Landorus-I :landorus:, Spectrier :spectrier:, Zygarde :zygarde:, and Cinderace :cinderace: are legal in Shared Power, which you might not notice from a glance at the banlist.

So I've just tried a team with Zoroark on it, and illusion didn't have any effect on anything other than Zoroark. Is that a bug, or just one of the quirks of illusion being a pretty unique ability.
As far as I know, this hasn't come up before. I would unfortunately chalk this up to unintended behavior, the same way some abilities display as [object Object] in battle, but I will try and find a more conclusive answer.
It would appear rhe ladder was reset as I've just got home form the gym to see the 518 elo I grinded from 1000 this morning was all for not. I am kinda disappointed the dead 1500s players were not cleaned prior to the metas release as having to grind rank 3 again and eventually rank 1 from 1000 again is going to be a pain. Guess that's what I get for going all out on day 1 :(

EDIT: BUG REPORT: It seems the queue still thinks I'm 1500 cause there is no way the game got this unpopular from finding matches this morning even at 1400 in a few seconds to 4 mins per match now.
You are one of the unlucky ones indeed :( We requested the ladder be cleared, since 487 out of the top 500 ladder slots were from unused alts the last time the ladder rolled around, and we wanted the ladder to be a reflection of the current state of the meta. It would have been ideal to have done this before the ladder went up, but better to do it on the 1st of the month rather than never.

The matchmaking time and non-updated elo are bizarre, though. Maybe Kris can shed some more light on that?

That's all I have for today. Happy laddering!

:cloyster: Shared Power State of the Union :crustle:

We are always trying to make the meta even balanced-er, though. Currently, we believe that Skill Link and Sturdy are two of the strongest abilities in the tier, on the cusp of overwhelming, and certainly factors that need to be considered when teambuilding. We would like to ask the community — what are your thoughts on Skill Link and Sturdy, and what strategies do you use to counter them on your teams?
-
You are one of the unlucky ones indeed :( We requested the ladder be cleared, since 487 out of the top 500 ladder slots were from unused alts the last time the ladder rolled around, and we wanted the ladder to be a reflection of the current state of the meta. It would have been ideal to have done this before the ladder went up, but better to do it on the 1st of the month rather than never.

The matchmaking time and non-updated elo are bizarre, though. Maybe Kris can shed some more light on that?

That's all I have for today. Happy laddering!
I understand, just kinda made me sad. in regards to sturdy and skill link, Idk about skill link but my concern with sturdy is that it is a strategy that unlike others takes only a single slot to build around and thus no switching required. Other strategies are abilitie + abilities where sturdy is ability + item. I use a skarmory lead with hazards and then 5 offensive mons with heavy duty boots on most. It is overwhelming and ironically multi hits is the only way for opposing offense to really bypass it. When I was high ladder games came down to who could set up their cloyster first with all the abilities active. I think at high levels of play if playing the most meta team possible is your goal, sturdy-Boots + multihits to bypass opposing sturdy boots is the meta since they also bypass fluffy (outside tailslap) and have technician ontop of adaptability

Guess I’m writing a post about skill link and sturdy because they’re dumb and busted.
Sturdy
Sturdy counterplay is very limited, atm if you’re running offense having sturdy on your team is almost required, as it’s the easiest and most reliable way to check opposing sturdy. It’s also very easy to fit sturdy on a teams as most teams appreciate the ability to revenge kill almost anything along with having an easier time setting up.
Skill Link
Skill link also has very limited counterplay, skill link teams are very flexible and have many options since they really only need technician to increase their damage. Skill link teams have access to more good damage amp with hustle-no guard and adapt if you choose. You can also forgo damage amp for things to beat traditional skill link checks, sturdy allows you to revenge kill anything while also being harder to revenge kill yourself, super luck can be used to bypass stamina, psysurge can be used to patch up the priority mu. In my experience, the only consistent skill link check seems to be stamina+shell armor+mons that are neutral to skill link moves, this is far too restricting imo since it forces people to use a very defensive team or stall if they want to check skill link. Skill link also exploits the reliance on sturdy in the current meta.
Finishing Thoughts
The skill link section turned about to be a lot longer than expected:
Tl;dr sturdy is super centralizing. Skill link is very restrictive in the builder, has a very flexible teamstyle that can adapt to beat many common checks, and preys on current meta trends.
I support a ban of both sturdy and skill link.

Anyone will to give some advice?
I want to build a Flail/Reversal team.
It obviously needs a Scrappy user, :Decidueye:, and :Tapu Lele:. A sturdy user would be good too.
Which Pokemon would be good abusers of Flail/Reversal (can be either or both) and what other abilities should I have for the team?

Anyone will to give some advice?
I want to build a Flail/Reversal team.
It obviously needs a Scrappy user, :Decidueye:, and :Tapu Lele:. A sturdy user would be good too.
Which Pokemon would be good abusers of Flail/Reversal (can be either or both) and what other abilities should I have for the team?
Maybe you could try Weak Armor? Weak Armor + Endure is one of my favorite ways of dealing with Skill Link and it works fantastically with Reversal. Since you’re already running Endure on everything, weather + Overcoat could be a good way to ensure chip damage so that Reversal beats Sturdy. I don’t think it should be too tricky to fit, since Kommo is already one of the best Reversal users.

Maybe you could try Weak Armor? Weak Armor + Endure is one of my favorite ways of dealing with Skill Link and it works fantastically with Reversal. Since you’re already running Endure on everything, weather + Overcoat could be a good way to ensure chip damage so that Reversal beats Sturdy. I don’t think it should be too tricky to fit, since Kommo is already one of the best Reversal users.
Thanks. Kabutops and Kommo-o it is.

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
On mobile right now, sorry for the bad grammar in advance.

Sturdy is super dumb, degenerate, and I want it gone NOW. The counterplay boils down to multi-hits, hazards (negated with Boots), Hail/Sand (unviable + offensive Sturdy teams are likely to have a Pokemon immune to at least one of the weathers), or simply out offensing your opponent. Unfortunately, the only way to do the last thing is to have your own Sturdy, which means that every offense team is either build around beating it, using it, or a combination of both. The opportunity cost of needing to use Boots isn't enough of a drawback because abilities can offer enough damage amp by themselves. I don't think Sturdy is a very healthy element in SP, it enables degenerate play styles and games can end up coming down to speed ties (who's priority or speed control moves first).

I don't care about Skill Link. It's just another damage amp ability, and since you're almost always running it with Technician, that's 2 slots on a team that also probably wants Adaptability, No Guard + Hustle, a physical/speed boosting ability, a terrain, and a fast physical Scarfer like Dragapult.
In fact, with Stamina being popular on defensive teams, I would argue it actually have natural counterplay. The way I see it, Skill Link is another damage amp ability in a tier filled with them, but is so specifically taliored that it's harder to fit without building your team around it.

Other dumb stuff:
Flare Boost + Quick Feet (too much power, too little offensive counterplay, has tons of room to beat even Ice Scales teams)
Prankster + Destiny Bond (uncompetitive, there's no counterplay for offensive teams other than hoping you sacked the right mons and these types of teams can play 4-4 or 3-3 and win)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)