Metagame Shared Power

I guess I'll go on a replying spree.

The reason they don't want to ban ice scales is because without it, nothing stops special attackers. You can be like "YOU GOT BLISSEY" and sure, you got blissey. But what happens when you've got a life orb sheer force adaptability and whatever the hell else you want to stack is on 3 mons at the same time? There's no special intimidate, no special wisp, nothing. You've just got a single normal type pokemon that gets worn down decently quickly, even if it is just PP stalling the softboiled.

Is the meta stale? Yes. I'm not trying to meta bash, but Inheritance is going to be a very stale meta no matter what you do. Some abilities are just better than others. You ban those abilities, new ones come in and become the new norm, with almost no downtime in between banning and the next obnoxious threat, be Offensive or Defensive. Although we're making the right steps into making shared a healthier metagame, it's an infinite staircase. Once we ban all of the broken stuff, the meta will no longer be fun or creative, but until we do, people will be forced to run said broken stuff constantly.

My opinion; this meta is hard to take seriously. I've been grinding on the ladder with an Immunities team, and believe it or not, it's the most creative thing I've seen on the ladder for an incredibly long time. A meta like this is supposed to make you look at something and be like "huh, that's really cool how they got that to work so well together," not "it's another Stamina/IceScales (or a SkillLink/Technician core)." I don't think there's enough time left in the month to make it a healthy and fun meta, and after the month's over almost nobody's going to be playing it anymore. The meta has an amazing concept, both in simplicity and creativity, but when executed it takes out the creativity and leaves only the simplicity.
As much as it pains to say this, you are correct on this one. While true blissey is the choice for pink blobs against special attackers. Blissey has limited walling capabilities (IE 16 pp on soft-boiled and another 16 in wish, which you would be a madman to be running both). And completely agree that Ice scales is ultimately the only reasonable way to shield against special attacks (AV is also an option but is not always practical, especially due to the justified ban of regenerator).

The meta has amazing creative potential to build incredibly synergized teams but ultimately revolve around the same cores (offensive and defensive). Is poison stall with stamina + ice scales annoying? yes. Prankster iron defense + body press? Just as much. Hustle + Tough claws? Most times an autoloss. Triage? Should have never existed but now we have to deal with it. Of course due to certain dynamics allowed by this meta certain combos have of course centralized the very varied, while at the same time not centralized meta.

Of course there is not much time left to try and balanced the meta, but maybe if possible we can have some improvements for the next time it comes back. Due to the stack of many of offensive abilities and and having about 4 total defensive abilities, maybe something to allow more counterplay against offensive teams and the decrease the overreliance on certain abilities might be to allow a single flat boosting ability (IE: only being able to have adaptability, hustle, tough claws or beast boost on a single team). This will allow further innovation in the meta and the developement on new synergies. Of course, which abilities are counted as this flat boosting abilities will take very long to desingnate, so it would have to be applied until its next iteration. If this change would be implemented it would allow on a more refreshed meta, making it a more decentralized with less moments of ¨not this team again¨. As the meta would be less about stacking offensive abilities, certain abilities would not be necessary and can be proven too much defensively (of course, ice scales). This of course supposes a rigid restructuring for this meta game, which might make it healthier overall.

Hmm, any unique strategies that can work? I tried a Berry team, and it didn't work out the way that I intended it to.

Hmm, any unique strategies that can work? I tried a Berry team, and it didn't work out the way that I intended it to.
I don't know how unique you want to get because the meta is quite centralized. Depends on your play-style and what you want to go for. The most common are Triage, Sturdy, Pressure Stall, Bulky Stall, Skill Link, Hustle + No Guard, Flare Boost, Transistor + Electric Spam.

If you want to go with something unique, I haven't seen many Hail/Slush Rush teams. I do not think this is banned.

I don't know how unique you want to get because the meta is quite centralized. Depends on your play-style and what you want to go for. The most common are Triage, Sturdy, Pressure Stall, Bulky Stall, Skill Link, Hustle + No Guard, Flare Boost, Transistor + Electric Spam.

If you want to go with something unique, I haven't seen many Hail/Slush Rush teams. I do not think this is banned.
It is banned. RIP.

I was playing Shared Power in Other Metas when I found this bug
-At turn 16,I sent out my Defiant Adrenaline Orb Tornadus and proceed to kill the opposing pokemon with Hurricane
-My opponent,having already sent out an intimidate pokemon beforehand, sent out his Hydreigon causing intimidate to activate
-Intimidate activate, lower my attack stage by one,then Defiant boost my attack by 2 stage and my Adrenaline Orb won't activate.
(Keep in mind you can replicate this bug in any format with a defiant pokemon holding Adrenaline orb vs an Intimidate pokemon).
Here the Replay

Last edited:
Idk where exactly to put this or if this has an iota of being accepted, but:
SP should be one ability shared throughout the team, the ability being the lead's ability. If the lead's ability is restricted the next pokemon with a valid ability will be shared.
This would create interesting choices in teambuilding/ preview (like stall picking between Fluffy or another ability like Filter depending on MU) and limit but preserve otherwise cancerous combinations like Guts + Quick Feet.
Of course the problem would be that it could be too similar to OU or AAA, because there would be no incentive to use otherwise bad pokemon with good abilities. And general use abilities like Adapt would be too centralizing (even if they can be restricted). It also might ruin SP's identity as a whole.

Deleted User 350996

Banned deucer.
I'm glad Triage is out because it has been annoying to deal with honestly. Comfey + Buzzwole formed a good core - Buzzwole being able to abuse Triage with Drain Punch/Leech Life/Roost and could hit Steel types while Comfey appreciated SpA boost from Buzz's ability.

Now I would like to mention the combination of Stamina + Ice Scales. I've faced some stall teams and I couldn't beat them simply because my wallbreakers were uneffective against most of stallish mons. Even things like Dracozolt with No Guard + Hustle + Moxie + Tough Claws was not enough simply because Mudsdale is incredibly bulky and appreciate Ice Scales support a lot + it's easy to cover its weakness.
I just want to precise that my point is not to whine about stall at all but how do you deal with them while Guts/Magic Guard/Magic Bounce are (for good reasons) banned? Please help the noob I am with some advice ;_;
Also Necrozma with Weakness Policy + CM + Autotomize is scary...

I'm glad Triage is out because it has been annoying to deal with honestly. Comfey + Buzzwole formed a good core - Buzzwole being able to abuse Triage with Drain Punch/Leech Life/Roost and could hit Steel types while Comfey appreciated SpA boost from Buzz's ability.

Now I would like to mention the combination of Stamina + Ice Scales. I've faced some stall teams and I couldn't beat them simply because my wallbreakers were uneffective against most of stallish mons. Even things like Dracozolt with No Guard + Hustle + Moxie + Tough Claws was not enough simply because Mudsdale is incredibly bulky and appreciate Ice Scales support a lot + it's easy to cover its weakness.
I just want to precise that my point is not to whine about stall at all but how do you deal with them while Guts/Magic Guard/Magic Bounce are (for good reasons) banned? Please help the noob I am with some advice ;_;
Also Necrozma with Weakness Policy + CM + Autotomize is scary...
You die,
But in actual terms a lot of this gamemode is mainly matchup dependent, but for Mudstale spcifically a strong physical attack like crawdaunt + adaptiblity crabhammer should deal with it

Sup. I created my account just to post this comment, so here I go I guess.
I feel like Harvest should be unbanned. Here's my reasoning:

1. Hyper-offensive physical teams are incredibly powerful, and stall teams are extremely hard to get through. A team with Ripen + Gluttony + Harvest + Cheek Pouch not only has good recovery against hyper-offensive teams, but it can also get some boosts to get through Stall teams.
Pinch Berries would heal 99% HP, with a 50% chance of growing back at the end of the turn. This gives many semi-fragile pokemons the ability to fight back combos like Hustle+No Guard, Adaptability + Tough Claws, etc. Of course this ability would be broken with Sturdy, so in my opinion it should be banned to have Sturdy and Harvest on the same team. In the other hand, stat-raising Berries and Lum Berry would both help to get through a stall team's defense, and to not die to things like Toxic or get crippled by Burn. Starf Berry would be a problem though, because raising a random stat by 4 stages when at 50% HP, while gaining 33% HP back and having a 50% of having that berry back at the end of the turn would become a strat really hard to get past through, so I think Starf Berry should be banned to work with any of the abilities mentioned prior.

2. This combo would also allow Pokemons that are countered by a specific type to not be obligated to retreat as soon as a possible sweeper gets in the battle. Berries that reduce damage would turn x4 weaknesses into default damage, and x2 weaknesses into a x0.5 resistance. Not only that, but Cheek Pouch would allow to outheal the damage. Altough, I see a problem with this, and it's those Berries that damage the enemy depending on what type of damage they recieved. These berries would allow certain Pokemons to either become one unbreakable specific wall, or to completely cover the defense they're weak in, as these berries would make attackers take 1/4 HP just for hitting its enemy, and the Pokemon that just consumed the berry would heal 33% HP back. I'm not sure if these berries should be banned, as this strat is not OP or viable at all, but it'd be really annoying, so that'd be the council's decision if they decide to unban Harvest.

3. It's literally the only berry-based ability left to complete the combo oh my god it was so fun and it makes CurseLax viable jesus christ

I should mention that there is a specific berry that would completely break the game and should be banned immediatly, since mixed with some of the already unbanned abilities it can create infinite battles completely impossible to win. I'm talking about Leppa Berry. When used right, it becomes completely unstopabble. A combo with Fluffy + Ice Scales + Cute Charm + Sweet Veil + Battle Armor + Flash Fire is almost completely impossible to break, and I don't even want to imagine what attrocities would allow the unban of Harvest, so I think Leppa Berry should be banned. Right now.

P.D. sorry if either my grammar or my ortography is bad, I'm not a native English speaker and I'm writing this at 2 A.M. on a school night

Er, what the heck is this: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8sharedpower-1269150269-1nvwiynlokfqnkgs4zkc4a0ekj4spzrpw

Why is Intimidate lowering attack (Turn 16, 19 and 20) when the mon has both Inner Focus AND Scrappy?
Abilities that are supposed to block Intimidate are broken and only work with the OG Intimidater, it does not work with mons that are recieveng the ability. Right now the best way to block Intimidate is Clear Body, Hyper Cutter or White Smoke, since those abilities block the stat drop itself rather than the ability. You could also try Defiant or Competitive to counter Intimidate instead of just blocking it.

The SP council have decided to ban Triage. Being able to almost always attack first, and additionally heal, has very little counter play for both offensive and stall teams. Psychic Surge can be controlled by running your own Grassy Surge, whilst Triage out-prioritizes even Prankster.
Awww....That's really bad. I laddered to 1300 with Triage, Moxie, Beast Boost, Chilling Neigh Buzzwole that also carried Fell Stinger to maximize attack in just one turn and Assault Vest to be specially bulky too. This Buzzwole had Leech Life and Drain Punch for STAB healing moves, Fell Stinger as i said before and Earthquake to deal with Eviolite Doublade that is very bulky and is immune to Drain Punch and absolutely resists Leech Life. I swept almost any team using this combination. Teams i was not able to sweep were either stall or Psychic Surge teams. I had so much fun using this strategy

I don't know how to get link to this battle, but i downloaded this replay

So i have this replay, to demostrate how good this strategy can be:

Attachments

Why are Slush Rush and Sand Rush banned as standalones, but Swift Swim and Chlorophyll only banned in conjunction with the weather auto set abilities? Seems a bit arbitrary.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Exactly, so why flat ban the abilities while Chlorophyll/Swift Swim get the complex treatment? Oh, and Surge Surfer gets the same treatment, even though I'd argue that's even worse than manual hail/sand when psychic and grassy surge are everywhere.
They just told you. Manual Rain and Sun Offense are actual playstyles that are not broken and therefore should be preserved for diversity. Manual Hail and Sand however, are not, so it's fine to ban them outright. Also, based on your logic for Surge Surfer, none of the "double speed under a condition" abiities are broken, when that is clearly not the case.

They just told you. Manual Rain and Sun Offense are actual playstyles that are not broken and therefore should be preserved for diversity. Manual Hail and Sand however, are not, so it's fine to ban them outright. Also, based on your logic for Surge Surfer, none of the "double speed under a condition" abiities are broken, when that is clearly not the case.
You're missing my point. I'm not bringing this up as in "Swift Swim/Chlorophyll/Electric Surge should get flat banned", I'm saying that Slush Rush and Sand Rush should get the same complex treatment. Manual Rain and Sun Offense are "actual playstyles" (barely - after >150 games I have seen manual rain a total of once, and it wasn't very good. Manual sun is N/A), but Hail and Sand have their own bonus in helping overcome Sturdy and Multiscale via chip, which are big problems for offense. This is certainly more of a niche than manual electric terrain has, so if Surge Surfer gets the complex treatment for the sake of diversity then Slush Rush and Sand Rush should get the same.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You're missing my point. I'm not bringing this up as in "Swift Swim/Chlorophyll/Electric Surge should get flat banned", I'm saying that Slush Rush and Sand Rush should get the same complex treatment. Manual Rain and Sun Offense are "actual playstyles" (barely - after >150 games I have seen manual rain a total of once, and it wasn't very good. Manual sun is N/A), but Hail and Sand have their own bonus in helping overcome Sturdy and Multiscale via chip, which are big problems for offense. This is certainly more of a niche than manual electric terrain has, so if Surge Surfer gets the complex treatment for the sake of diversity then Slush Rush and Sand Rush should get the same.
I can promise no one uses sand or hail for chip damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)