"Shifting" in Triple Battles

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi guys,

Time for a slightly more serious post in regards to an exciting new feature: Triple Battles! This is not the same as Rotation which I will cover in a different post.

I have, however, found some Triple battles on Global Terminal for Vs. Recorder. Please note the difference before we begin:

Switching: When you swap out an active Pokemon for one in reserve (or your bench, or whatever you want to call it). Neither the Pokemon returning nor the new active one gets a turn to attack. This has the highest priority.

Shifting/Shuffling: When you shift positions between your active Pokemon. PRIORITY FOR THE SHIFT IS 0 LIKE ANY REGULAR MOVE. You can initiate the shift with either of the Pokemon shifting positions. The Pokemon initiating the move does not get to attack. The shift will take place during the turn depending on the Initiating Pokemon's speed.

EXAMPLES:

My Team: Garchomp, Infernape, Salamence [In that order, Left, Centre, Right]
Enemy Team: Magnezone, Froslass, Rhyperior [In that order, Left, Centre, Right]

We're also assuming I have nothing on the Bench to switch to. Here's a few examples of how this could play out.

Example #1:

"Froslass is going to target Salamence with Ice Beam. I still want to hit Rhyperior with my Choice Specs Hydro Pump. If I leave both Infernape and Salamence where they are I will lose Salamence to Ice Beam before it moves since Froslass is likely Modest and holding Focus Sash. If this happens, I would likely kill Froslass with Infernape the following turn, but then be unable to deal with Rhyperior in the future since Salamence will be gone."

Since Froslass is faster than my Salamence (supposing I'm using Modest Choice Specs for example purposes), I cannot initiate my shift with Salamence for two reason: 1) Because it would happen after Froslass moves (Froslass's Speed > Salamence's Speed), and 2) Because if I initiated the shift with Salamence it would not be able to attack this turn. So, I will choose to initiate the shift with Infernape. Infernape will not get to attack, but at least I can rid myself of having to deal with my opponent's Rhyperior. Additionally, since Infernape is faster than Froslass, the shift would happen before Froslass (remember Modest) gets a turn to attack.

The turn would play out like this (disregarding my Garchomp and Magnezone, we'll get to this later):

-Infernape (Centre) shifted with Salamence (Right) -----> Salamence (C), Infernape (R)
-Froslass used Ice Beam (targetting Right). Its not very effective against Infernape...
-Salamence used Hydro Pump targeting Right (which it can still hit from Centre). It is super effective.
-Rhyperior fainted.

However: this situation can be more complicated. We have two more Pokemon not factored in: My Garchomp (L), and my opponent's Magnezone (L). Suppose I want to Earthquake Magnezone because I don't want it to kill my Salamence that I am shifting into (C), or my Garchomp, potentially with Hidden Power Ice, either. My Garchomp is holding Yache Berry and can survive an Ice Beam from Froslass, but wouldn't be able to take a hit from Magnezone as well. My shift between Infernape and Salamence helps two-fold: 1) It allows me to dodge Froslass' Ice Beam and keep Salamence alive to KO the enemy Rhyperior, and 2) it allows me to dodge my own Earthquake with Salamence rather than KOing my own Infernape.

The full turn would look like this:

Infernape shifted with Salamence --> Salamence (C), Infernape (R).
Froslass used Ice Beam (R). Not Very Effective against Infernape.
Garchomp used Earthquake (L, C). This KO's Magnezone, misses Froslass, and misses Salamence.
Salamence used Hydro Pump (R). This KO's Rhyperior.

So, this gets to be complicated, and requires a lot of prediction. I am excited to play this game type in earnest. :)

ADDED ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS:

-You cannot switch between spots L and R. It must be adjacent. This is not a circle like Rotation battles.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Rotation looks very interesting. It looks like lots of strategy is involved with this gametype. So it seems like even if you are the center Pokemon using a multi hit move you still don't hit everyone on the field, but get to choose L,C and your left or R,C and your right. Very interesting.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
skarm, thanks for the info. It's good to know that the shift has zero priority. Here are some other questions I have about the shifting:

- Can the Pokemon on the far left shift with the Pokemon on the far right, or can only adjacent Pokemon swap places?

- What happens if, after the shift, your shifted Pokemon that didn't initiate the shift can no longer reach its intended target?

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
skarm, thanks for the info. It's good to know that the shift has zero priority. Here are some other questions I have about the shifting:

- Can the Pokemon on the far left shift with the Pokemon on the far right, or can only adjacent Pokemon swap places?

- What happens if, after the shift, your shifted Pokemon that didn't initiate the shift can no longer reach its intended target?
-Adjacent Pokemon. I forgot to mention this. Thanks for bringing it up.

-I believe you will swap with the empty place, but that is a good question and I'll try to test it. It will be hard in random matches to set it up, so I'll have to bug Huy to play with me.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
-Adjacent Pokemon. I forgot to mention this. Thanks for bringing it up.

-I believe you will swap with the empty place, but that is a good question and I'll try to test it. It will be hard in random matches to set it up, so I'll have to bug Huy to play with me.
Thanks for the answer to the first question.

As for the second question, I believe you do swap with the empty spot, because that's how it worked on Pokemon Sunday. I was actually trying to ask a different question. I'll try to be more clear:

- Say that my fast Pokemon on the left is initiating a swap with my slower center Pokemon. The slower, center Pokemon is planning to attack the opponent Pokemon on the far right with a move (say, Hydro Pump). The shift happens first and suddenly my slower Pokemon can't reach its intended target anymore. What happens? Does the move still go off with a new target, or does it fail?

Also,

- Can you swap places with your partner in a double battle?

And possibly unrelated to this thread:

- What does the move Side Change actually do? You can't target a specific ally when you use it, I don't believe. Does it switch the user's position with a random ally, or does it switch your field with your opponent's field (Spikes, Reflect, etc.)?

Sounds quite Chess-y, in some cases you're sacrificing certain pokemon for a certain kill from another one. I expect getting used to it could be hard, especially remembering that Shifts have Normal Priority as opposed to Switches Maximum Priority.

Which begs the question, what are the most popular teams going to be? All out offensive teams? Stall? Ones with complimentary weaknesses or strengths? Is Defense or Speed going to be important? What happens when Fazing or U-Turn occurs?

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
As for the second question, I believe you do swap with the empty spot, because that's how it worked on Pokemon Sunday. I was actually trying to ask a different question. I'll try to be more clear:

- Say that my fast Pokemon on the left is initiating a swap with my slower center Pokemon. The slower, center Pokemon is planning to attack the opponent Pokemon on the far right with a move (say, Hydro Pump). The shift happens first and suddenly my slower Pokemon can't reach its intended target anymore. What happens? Does the move still go off with a new target, or does it fail?
Unsure. I'll need to test. Perhaps it won't let you do it, or it'll just fail. If you cause that yourself it should fail for being a dipshit. :) I'll test it out the next battle I get into.

- Can you swap places with your partner in a double battle?
Doubtful. I'll test, though.

- What does the move Side Change actually do? You can't target a specific ally when you use it, I don't believe. Does it switch the user's position with a random ally, or does it switch your field with your opponent's field (Spikes, Reflect, etc.)?
Another good question in which I have no answer to. I am not hacking my Pokemon so I don't have a Side Change Pokemon to even test with at the current time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)