Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

Updated to 1500 eggs completed, no shiny in the last batch, still on 4 shinies total. These batches are coming far slower as I'm breeding Lileep and their base step rate means even with Lv 3 O-power I only hatch 3 / 5 eggs in my party over its duration. Pretty tiresome, but I'm sticking with Lileep for now.

I added a new field to the spreadsheet. A simple yes/no question regarding whether or not you're IV breeding, in case IVs are still used to calculate a Pokemon's shininess.

The reason I added that is because I noticed that when I bred pokemon that were less than perfect with my 6IV Japanese ditto, I got a shiny on the 16th egg, and the 43rd egg. I don't know if this is just a coincidence or not. Also, Crisc got a shiny beldum on his 5th egg, doing something similar.

I also noticed a pattern in my breeding. My first shiny was after 543 eggs, but after that I got one in 16. Then I bred around another 500 or so for my magikarp, then 43 eggs into a torchic, a shiny one comes out. So, I'm guessing that my honedge will take somewhere past 500 eggs to hatch, based on the current pattern. If anyone else is experiencing similar patterns, let me know. I might just be getting really lucky

Last edited:
JAP Male 5IV Noibat x ENG Female 6IV Noibat

0-100 eggs: no shiny
100-200 eggs: no shiny
100-300 eggs: no shiny

Updated data sheet. I'm done with Noibat, going to try with another couple.... Good luck everyone.

I added a new field to the spreadsheet. A simple yes/no question regarding whether or not you're IV breeding, in case IVs are still used to calculate a Pokemon's shininess.

The reason I added that is because I noticed that when I bred pokemon that were less than perfect with my 6IV Japanese ditto, I got a shiny on the 16th egg, and the 43rd egg. I don't know if this is just a coincidence or not. Also, Crisc got a shiny beldum on his 5th egg, doing something similar.

I also noticed a pattern in my breeding. My first shiny was after 543 eggs, but after that I got one in 16. Then I bred around another 500 or so for my magikarp, then 43 eggs into a torchic, a shiny one comes out. So, I'm guessing that my honedge will take somewhere past 500 eggs to hatch, based on the current pattern. If anyone else is experiencing similar patterns, let me know. I might just be getting really lucky
Based on my experiences, I'd say you're just getting lucky. Mine were ~250 eggs, ~450 eggs, ~150 eggs, and ~200 eggs. I'm another 250 eggs deep right now with no shiny.

I am IV breeding, and i got a somewhat similar pattern to yours.

Shiny Marill on egg #143, Shiny Larvitar on egg #536 and #589

Just got shiny charm, I pledge 100 eggs for Vulpix. (First time MM)

EDIT: done, will start on next batch.

ENG Vulpix / JPN Delphox
1-100: 0 shinies
101-200: 0 shinies
201-300: 0 shinies
301-400: 0 shinies
401-500: 0 shinies

ENG Feebas / JPN Squirtle
1-100: ?

Last edited:

IVs haven't determined if pokemon could be shiny since Generation 2.

What the shiny charm (and MM) does is when the egg is generated, it re-rolls a few times to see if it matches your ID/SID combination (shiny value). IV breeding has nothing to do with it. If IVs made a pokemon shiny, then there's no way the shiny value would have worked with Instacheck.

Ugh, no shinies hatched from eggs 601-700. Now I know how it feels to be on a dry spell. Swapping over to Honedges since I'm tripping over 5IV and 6IV Shuppets.

Extending my pledge to 2000 eggs now. Started up with a batch of 90, no eggs. Will continue to edit the updates in my main post (#58) and the spreadsheet.

I would love to pledge some eggs for testing out the shiny charm, except Im having difficulty obtaining it without Bank being available in the US. I do have an interesting theory, or practice rather, for people to test (and I will be doing this once I can contribute as well), but when I was on my quest to MM a Froakie and more recently a Honedge, a total of 5 times I did a certain method and 5 times I got at least 1 shiny out of it... and once I had 2. Simply, in 1 or 2 sittings constantly collect eggs from the daycare man, filling up 10 boxes (if you can manage the space), which would be 300 eggs. Then, you do a mass hatching for a few hours (have Netflix handy or something similar). Fairly simple, but Im curious as if it would net consistent shinies for other people as it did for me the 5 times I tried it.

Day two: 225 eggs/0 shiny so far, my pledge of 1000 is still ongoing. Updated.

I've found that the hatching method described above is much more convenient to me, so I'm going to be cracking eggs open in batches of 100+ from now on - let's see how it turns out!

Day two: 225 eggs/0 shiny so far, my pledge of 1000 is still ongoing. Updated.

I've found that the hatching method described above is much more convenient to me, so I'm going to be cracking eggs open in batches of 100+ from now on - let's see how it turns out!
That method also keeps the parents from leveling up unnecessarily in the daycare while youre hatching a batch in your party, and its quite a pain to remove the parents each time you want to finish hatching as well. Keeps those flawless Ditto's from maxing out (unless Im misinformed and lv 100s can breed now?)

I
That method also keeps the parents from leveling up unnecessarily in the daycare while youre hatching a batch in your party, and its quite a pain to remove the parents each time you want to finish hatching as well. Keeps those flawless Ditto's from maxing out (unless Im misinformed and lv 100s can breed now?)
I'm using a 100 lvl Japanese ditto and it can breed just fine. = n_n =

I
I'm using a 100 lvl Japanese ditto and it can breed just fine. = n_n =
Thanks so much, guess I was misinformed. This will be my last off topic post- promise! BUT could you point to someone that could help me get the bank legends for my dex? Thats pretty much all Im missing plus the Slakoth/Unown lines. PM me if you can so we dont clutter the thread up more if you can help, if not its cool and thanks anyways!

IV's have had nothing to do with shininess since Gen 2.

Someone has already found the actually MM breeding chance in Gen 6 by accessing the game's raw data. There are no such instances as 'oh - the ball matches the shiny pokemon, it has a higher chance' or that shinies come in 'patterns'. If you look hard enough you can find coincidences in anything.

IVs haven't determined if pokemon could be shiny since Generation 2.

What the shiny charm (and MM) does is when the egg is generated, it re-rolls a few times to see if it matches your ID/SID combination (shiny value). IV breeding has nothing to do with it. If IVs made a pokemon shiny, then there's no way the shiny value would have worked with Instacheck.
Yeah, it was confusion on my part, because I had used RNG reporter, and I noticed that it was impossible to get shinies with perfect spreads. Although now that I look back on it, it wasn't because of IVs, but rather those spreads were the best that my TSV and TID could throw at me.

I'll still leave it on the spreadsheet as it's interesting to see how it corresponds to the shiny numbers.

Someone has already found the actually MM breeding chance in Gen 6 by accessing the game's raw data. There are no such instances as 'oh - the ball matches the shiny pokemon, it has a higher chance' or that shinies come in 'patterns'. If you look hard enough you can find coincidences in anything.
And thanks Tortured_Soul, that helps clear a lot of stuff up. But could you give us a link to verify this?

I would love to pledge some eggs for testing out the shiny charm, except Im having difficulty obtaining it without Bank being available in the US. I do have an interesting theory, or practice rather, for people to test (and I will be doing this once I can contribute as well), but when I was on my quest to MM a Froakie and more recently a Honedge, a total of 5 times I did a certain method and 5 times I got at least 1 shiny out of it... and once I had 2. Simply, in 1 or 2 sittings constantly collect eggs from the daycare man, filling up 10 boxes (if you can manage the space), which would be 300 eggs. Then, you do a mass hatching for a few hours (have Netflix handy or something similar). Fairly simple, but Im curious as if it would net consistent shinies for other people as it did for me the 5 times I tried it.
I do this regularly, but with batches of 120, since that's all I can fit and tbh, I usually get my shinies as I'm breeding, not this way. But I can see if you have 300+ eggs you would have a much better chance. It's just that getting the eggs is so time consuming lol

Oh and this method doesn't work with magikarps. Just thought I'd say that.

Also, we have a slight problem at line 19 on the spreadsheet... We have to find who did 1189 eggs, because it's not Torriadore.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)