Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

Oh, and on a slightly unrelated note, how did you guys manage to get your hands on all the legends without Pokébank? Because from what I have seen on the GTS, people are asking for impossible stuff. Any workarounds? I want to complete the National Dex too... :(

I just hatched 410+ and updated the list. May I ask what the goal of the statistics is? I'm really discouraged right now. I know 410 is not that high compared to others but it really frustrates me having still no shiny.
I had to do 800 twice to get a shiny so 410 is only half that. In order to get the bank legends, you have to legendary chain. put up your legendary and ask for another legend. Then keep putting it back up and asking for another one. Thats how you get them all

Oh, and on a slightly unrelated note, how did you guys manage to get your hands on all the legends without Pokébank? Because from what I have seen on the GTS, people are asking for impossible stuff. Any workarounds? I want to complete the National Dex too... :(
I have an Uxie you can use to legendary chain if you'd like. I already have the Shiny Charm, so I don't have a use for it. However, Pokebank was just re-released in Japan, so it probably won't be long until the UK and US get Pokebank, too. :) Just PM me your friend code if you'd like the Uxie.

I just hatched 410+ and updated the list. May I ask what the goal of the statistics is? I'm really discouraged right now. I know 410 is not that high compared to others but it really frustrates me having still no shiny.
Um, dude, my average is about 500 - 600 before a shiny. lol I had to hatch about 1k for my honedge. Keep going, you'll get one eventually. Some people had to go until 1,300 before they got theirs (Bad luck lol)

EDIT: I don't know if you guys have been following Pokebank, but it was released in Japan yesterday! A release for the rest of the world may be on its way soon!

Edit: Nevermind, LilStarcon just said that lol

Last edited:
Um, dude, my average is about 500 - 600 before a shiny. lol I had to hatch about 1k for my honedge. Keep going, you'll get one eventually. Some people had to go until 1,300 before they got theirs (Bad luck lol)

EDIT: I don't know if you guys have been following Pokebank, but it was released in Japan yesterday! A release for the rest of the world may be on its way soon!

Edit: Nevermind, LilStarcon just said that lol
LOL But it's worth mentioning again! Just hoping it doesn't take too long for us to get it.

Still no luck with hatching shinies, but I figured after seeing everyone else's results, it would take awhile. :( I just want a shiny Ralts!

I have an Uxie you can use to legendary chain if you'd like. I already have the Shiny Charm, so I don't have a use for it. However, Pokebank was just re-released in Japan, so it probably won't be long until the UK and US get Pokebank, too. :) Just PM me your friend code if you'd like the Uxie.
Just noticed Pokébank is back up in some countries. I think I'll wait. Thanks, anyway! :)

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm suspecting some data tampering since the spreadsheet is freely editable. Some results have changed overnight to report more shinies without increasing their egg count.

Just something to be leery of.

Last edited:
Yeah, I see what you mean. On the bottom someone put a "9" in the shiny field, without filling anything else out. That was messing with our total; I was wondering why the ratio was so low

I also noticed some other stuff, which I fixed by comparing it to the hard copy.

It just makes me wonder why some people just have to be so immature as to want to ruin other people's hard work. It's just really annoying.

I'm not even updating the spreadsheet, cuz I don't wanna mess with it (okay, that way I'll look retard to you LOL). I'm new here, etc...

I hope there's a backup somewhere. I was really interested in seeing the final results. :(
There is a backup.

Ok, so the spreadsheet we're working on is at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...RDV0trZXpwMDFvSFBfVkRDTVE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

And the first 50k (Our initial target goal) is at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...JrSTJ2NGtrLVV2ZWgwaGY1OFE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

I'm not even updating the spreadsheet, cuz I don't wanna mess with it (okay, that way I'll look retard to you LOL). I'm new here, etc...
You can update the field that has your name; I already added it for you, along with the most up-to-date egg/shiny count of yours that I could find. You just have to poke around for it, but it should be ranked with the other contributors. I think you were in the 500 egg range.

Last edited:
Not fully on-topic, but has the Masuda Method actually been confirmed anywhere to have 6/4096 odds? Most sources I've read only state 6/4096 as a guess.

I just finished hatching my third set of 200, bringing up my total to 600, still no shinies. I plan to hatch yet another 200 eggs though.

Not fully on-topic, but has the Masuda Method actually been confirmed anywhere to have 6/4096 odds? Most sources I've read only state 6/4096 as a guess.
I asked this same question earlier only to get a response basically saying that we're not really confident that 6/4096 is actually MM rate without shiny charm. I thought it was a fairly important question so, I just made a thread to test the original MM rate in Gen 6. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/masuda-method-without-shiny-charm.3498379/

Last edited:
Guys! I just got a shiny! I did another 2 boxes today so the total would be 480 eggs! I got 1 shiny and 2 6IV gastly on that number. But daaaamn! It's a female 5IV with x-speed. I don't like my pokemon being female. It would've been okay if it was male and no speed or a female with no hp or attack but no! What I got is a FEMALE and X SPEED! I'm thinking of going for another again but I'm afraid of the odds being female again. I know this is a small issue. Can you guys put some sense on me? Lol. I need to be convinced.

Oh you might get confused but I did 2 boxes today which is 60 eggs and earlier I did 420 eggs so that's why the total is 480.

Hi guys,

You've all done a great job, but I would like to point out that unless you have a group who aren't using the shiny charm, the results are statistically biased.
It might be a suggestion to include a smaller target group without SC?
Food for thought.

Hi guys,

You've all done a great job, but I would like to point out that unless you have a group who aren't using the shiny charm, the results are statistically biased.
Food for thought.
I'm not great with statistics stuff, but isn't the whole point of this spreadsheet to find out the chance with MM & SC? Since we already know the chance without SC, we don't need to test without the SC.

Hi guys,

Food for thought.
The no-SC MM rate in XY is already known (IIRC), so why would it be neccessary to conduct research without the charm? Sorry if I misunderstood you, I'm kind of tired atm ; _; @edit; ninja'd!

On another note, my goal of 1000 has been completed! I'm probably going to pledge another, but need to take a break from staring at a 3DS screen 24/7 first, ahaha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)