Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

Well I've finally got the shiny charm in my Y version by making a Living dex, so i've been masuda breeding for a shiny electrike while I finish my first batch
of Tyrunt in X.

Batch 24: 0/300 German Electrike X English Electrike

Batch 25: *in progress* Spanish Tyrunt X English Tyrunt

Total eggs hatched: 2635
Shinies: 6
Well it's been months since my last update, I've barely had any time to masuda method since summer ended, but I decided to really go for that shiny tyrunt over the Christmas break.

Batch 25: 0/300
Batch 26: 1/180 The 6th egg in a batch after I collected 120!
tyrunt.gif

Male 31/31/16/31/31/31
Missing defense, He's got Strong Jaw when I was wanting a Sturdy one too. But hardly anyone gets an HA shiny the first time round so i'll just try again later on.

Now time to get back to the Shiny Electrike hunt.

Total eggs hatched: 3115
Shinies: 7

I've been watching this forum for awhile now and I just got my shiny charm last night. So I figured I'd throw my hat into the ring and pledge 300 Totodile.

Hello all. I have been breeding for quite some time, and I would like to add my numbers into this if that is all right. I have the Shiny Charm in both OR&AS with Japanese Ditto's. I have breed well over 30,000 eggs, so far, but here is the ones that have tracked. I am trying to get a shiny living dex, so I will continue to breed. I breed in Batches of 100 eggs at a time.

1 Batch: 7/100
(sadly mistakenly wonder-traded)

1 Batch: 73/100
(perfect IV's but can't evolve yet)

1 Batch: 47/100
(gave to a friend)

1 Batch: 87/100
(Perfect IV's but cant evolve)

5 Batches: 446/500
(Evolved into Scizor)
x4
6 Batches: 146/600, 194/600, 301/600, 599/600
(evolved into Jolteon, Umbreon, Sylveon, Vaporeon)
(I am still working on the rest of them)

3 Batches: 241/300
(Evolved into Donphan)

3 Batches: 221/300
(Staying a Torchic. 0 Speed IV's, but with HA)

9 Batches: 899/900
(Evolved into Swampert)

30 Batches*: 121/3000
(It is staying a Ralts. I was going for Timid Mega-Gard and got a male)
(*I am still breeding. At 2879 eggs with not another shiny I am taking a break from this one)
x2
3 Batches: 3/300 201/300
(First one stunk. 2nd evolved into Aggron)

1 Batch: 41/100

1 Batch: 23/100
(Evolved into Cradilly. No HA)
x2
12 Batches* 278/1200 & 1126/1200
(*Both evolved to Infernape)
(*The first chimchar was my first shiny ever as it is my fav pokemon. I did not know what I was doing though, so it was a junk mon competitively. I rebred for it and got one I can use in META)
x2
3 Batches: 215/300 & 298/300
(I evolved the HA one to Lopunny)
x3
3 Batches: 172/300, 207/300, 221/300
(I have the full Snivy Line Now)
(This was the best ever! Its my second favorite pokemon. The 1st batch was nothing, second batch was not HA, and the 3rd batch had 2 shinies, one with HA!)

1 Batch: 67/100
(Staying Osha. This thing didn't have HA and it has 0IV Atk Adamant nature)

1 Batch: 4/100
(Evolved to Leavanny)

1 Batch: 23/100
(Evolved because I already caught a Shiny with Dexnav. IV's didnt pan out though...)

1 Batch: 94/100
(Evolved into Reuniclus)

4 Batches: 341/400
(Evolved into Bisharp. 2 IV points away from flawless 6IV Defiant!)

16 Batches: 1521/1600
(Evolved into Chesnaught, but without HA...)
x3
3 Batches: egg 11, egg 178, egg 184.
(Started 2 new batches and got a HA shiny, and another normal ability.)

Currently, the ones that I have been keeping track of is 11100 eggs, with 33 Shinies. Avr for me is 1/336.36.

Last edited:
Update hatched 300 Totodile and 0 shiny

batch 1: 0/150
batch 2: 0/150

kinda bummed out about it was hoping for a sub 300, but oh well I'll try 300 skrelp now.

Last edited:
Just started trying to breed shiny's on my second go at it still in the process of trying to hatch a shiny snivy currently at around 210 eggs first go was a shiny cyndaquil which i hatched at egg 38 with my shiny charm and this method

Hello i'm new here!
After 246 eggs i obtained a shiny MALE ralts ( in italian male means evil). Now i'm trying to obtain a shiny Treecko (ita Sceptile / gpn ditto) in route 117 and a shiny Charmander (ita Charizard/ Gpn Charizard) in battle resort) aaaaaaaaaaaand nothing..
0 - 250 Ralts (246)
0 - 633 Treecko nope
0- 1405 Charmander nooope

1/2288 Wow, i hate my life :D

Last edited:
Keep up the hope Ogard, i also got my shiny after 1930 eggs, hoping to get some better stats while i'm breeding some more ^_^
Thanks man, last night was a lucky night! Shiny Charmander (bad nature but good IVs overall, Dragondance all the way for the speed lack ) and a bunch of eggs later, shiny Treecko (good IVs Special attack missing is not a problem) both male.

So, 3/2330 = 1/776 personal chance

I just got the shiny badge and am trying to do a shiny eevee so I can make a shiny glaceon. I have a Japanese ditto so I'm using the Masuda method. As of right now I am at 78 eggs hatched with no shinies yet. As soon as I get one I'll post!

Hello fellow shiny hunters!

I have been playing oras for a long time and I have been into shiny breeding since a week.

I'm currently celebrating my holiday so I have a decent amount of time hunting. So far I have bred 320 charmander eggs and I have had 0 shinies :(. Hope it'll hatch soon :D

Good luck all!

Edit: now hatching for shiny honedge, just over 60 eggs. Will reply when I hit 100 or shiny :D
Got shiny charm by the way

Edit2: hatched 120 eggs, no shiny yet. Using GER and JAP, should be fine right?

420 eggs in total now, no shiny yet. Getting a bit annoyed, but still motivated :D

Last edited:
Lavazard those pokemon should be good indeed for masuda breeding. To bad you haven't hatched a shiny yet. My first took over 1900 so don't give up the hope yet, sometimes it can just take some time to hatch one. :)

Lavazard those pokemon should be good indeed for masuda breeding. To bad you haven't hatched a shiny yet. My first took over 1900 so don't give up the hope yet, sometimes it can just take some time to hatch one. :)
Oh wow 1900 should really hurt :(. Just curious what shiny were u hunting first? Tomorrow night I travel 7.5 hours by plane so plenty of time to Masuda breed :D
Hope I'll get it soon though :/

Good luck to everyone, may Masuda be in your favor :)

PS: is it a good idea to switch parents every so often? I heard rumors saying it "shuffles" your odds to obtain a shiny faster. If that's true then please reply, might hatch that one sparkling blood sword a lot faster that way :D

Edit: now total of 496 eggs hatched, and yet not a single sparkle to be seen, kinda disappointing D:. Am close to 512 so it should hatch anytime from now :DD

Edit2: 600 eggs hatched, and not even one!!! Getting frustrated so it better hatch soon!

Last edited:
My post is a little above here and i keep adding it with new information. :P
But first i tried hatching dratini and i stopped at 1200, then i tried totodile and stopped at 600 then after 30 new eggs of lotad i got my first shiny :)

I got a shiny Magikarp (which is now a Red Gyarados) on my 204th egg.
Currently looking for a shiny Treecko, and I have already hatched 800+ eggs lol

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
All right, time to do something about this thread.

It seems to be a magnet to new people for some reason. People with one, two or ten posts (rarely more than a hundred) who keep pleading eggs, reporting hatching numbers, or bragging about shinies. I don't know why this is, but after observing the phenomenon for a while, I've decided to have a second look at this thread.

Thing is, the thread is effectively dead. Or at least dormant. Examining the spreadsheet in the OP, it seems like it hasn't been updated in a year and a half. Wichu, who posted the thread, hasn't been active since August 2015. Pleading more numbers is useless now, since they apparently aren't read by anyone, never mind put into the spreadsheet. If nothing useful is said here, we might as well put the thread down.

I'm going to let it stay open for now, but if it keeps being Shortpost Central of OI, with only micro-messages by people reporting their Shiny hatchlings, I'm going to lock it. There are probably Pokémon forums out there with dedicated "tell us about your Shinies" threads, but Smogon is not the place for it.

So, no more "I got a Shiny Whatever after hatcing X eggs" posts, please. The more posts like this I see, the greater the chance I'll lock the thread. If people can convince me it needs to stay open, of course we will keep it open, but for now the threads lives on the edge. Or lies there dead, it kinda depends on whether the OP is planning to come back or not.

All right, time to do something about this thread.

It seems to be a magnet to new people for some reason. People with one, two or ten posts (rarely more than a hundred) who keep pleading eggs, reporting hatching numbers, or bragging about shinies. I don't know why this is, but after observing the phenomenon for a while, I've decided to have a second look at this thread.

Thing is, the thread is effectively dead. Or at least dormant. Examining the spreadsheet in the OP, it seems like it hasn't been updated in a year and a half. Wichu, who posted the thread, hasn't been active since August 2015. Pleading more numbers is useless now, since they apparently aren't read by anyone, never mind put into the spreadsheet. If nothing useful is said here, we might as well put the thread down.

I'm going to let it stay open for now, but if it keeps being Shortpost Central of OI, with only micro-messages by people reporting their Shiny hatchlings, I'm going to lock it. There are probably Pokémon forums out there with dedicated "tell us about your Shinies" threads, but Smogon is not the place for it.

So, no more "I got a Shiny Whatever after hatcing X eggs" posts, please. The more posts like this I see, the greater the chance I'll lock the thread. If people can convince me it needs to stay open, of course we will keep it open, but for now the threads lives on the edge. Or lies there dead, it kinda depends on whether the OP is planning to come back or not.
I understand your reason for closing the thread, and I actually agree as well. We have hatched enough eggs to conclude the shiny rate with charm and MM is 1/512 or something like that, so practically this thread became a "bragging" thread about how quickly someone got a shiny. Maybe we should make a new thread, about people their shinies and how they got them. It would be a lot better than "brag" on a thread that isn't about bragging, but about the shiny rate.

This is just my opinion, but I just agree with codraroll, since this thread is basically dead

The Scientist

Heheh, not a Silph worker...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Codraroll, this thread lost all scientific/statistical viability a long time ago. I see no point in the thread at this point for the sake of data collection since so few people are following the established protocol necessary to make the data useful. However, it could be turned around if someone were interested in taking it on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)