Programming Showdex - An Auto-Updating Damage Calculator Built into Showdown!

How nuanced do you intend to make this? For example, you mention that if a Pokemon deals damage that indicates a Choice Band, you don't want to auto-update their item as you feel that might make the extension a bit too powerful.

But regarding things like sets, if a more objectively confirmable item is implicated (Leftovers, Life Orb etc), why not switch the predicted moveset and stat distribution along with the item? Perhaps knowing a Cinderace is banded after it deals 5% instead of 3% or assuming a Toxapex has assault vest after not taking enough damage is "too much information," but with more confirmable sets I feel like a re-appraisal is in order.

Obviously reaching a point where the extension becomes an AI that makes judgments for the player is problematic but if the monster is obviously scarfed then it shouldn't expect Swords Dance anymore.

Bit of an error using showdex on edge i seem to be getting no sets for any pokemon at all?

EDIT: false alarm folks everything is a-ok

Last edited:
Could you please add an option to show the Mega calcs while still in non-mega form? It'll be helpful for gens 6-7.
You can switch to the mega form (or any other available form) by clicking on the Pokemon's name and then selecting the mega form, like in the screenshot below. Hope that's what you were looking for!

1690113335497.png

Amazing and unfathomably convenient extension, extremely useful for deducing sets and informing decisions and game plan, 10/10 tool ! :quagchamppogsire: However, Showdex has two issues that particularly affect me, who really likes playing National Dex metas, due to them both being related to Mega Evolution/Primal Reversion/Ultra Burst.
One, the option that allows you to change a PKMN's form in DMG calc isn't available for the opponent's side, which is very frustrating case as this is probably an easy fix via easy copy-pasting the existing toggle for the user's side.
Two, Showdex fails when trying to import from Smogdex the sets of in-battle forme changes in a given tier once moved out of their, due to site erroneously listing Mega sets as if they were run by the base PKMN (e.g. Primal Groudon is listed as "Groundon @ Red Orb" instead as "Groundon-Primal @ Red Orb", which is espicially annoying because this particular MF has ∞ EV potential and multiple vastly different sets that have immensely different matchups). Would it be OK if there was workaround that, say, assigned sets listed for the base form to its transformed state as well if said set includes the necessary item in it ? Thanks !
Wow thank you, we appreciate the kind words and we're glad you've been enjoying it :)
In terms of changing the Pokemon's form, you should be able to change it for both sides if there are other available formes. You tried clicking on the Pokemon's name like in the screenshot below right? I think maybe I'm not understanding your question, so let me know if it's something else.
1690114913038.png
And in terms of your second point, yes we'll add that in! I noticed that as well with some Mega Pokemon that don't have sets for their base form (cause no one uses it non-Mega). So we'll change it so you can view sets for the transformed form as well if they're holding something like a Mega Stone, Red Orb, etc.

Hi, I'd like to report a bug with showdex concerning Oricorio in randbats. Even though I'm tera ground(meaning Revelation dance is a ground type move), the calc thinks that it's still an electric move, doing damage calcs as such. View attachment 524166
Thanks for the report, we're gonna fix it in the upcoming patch we're releasing soon :) I didn't even know about the Tera part so that's super helpful, we'll make sure to include that. I've encountered quite a few Oricorio's in Gen9 Randbats myself.

Is there a way the boost from quark drive/protosynthesis could be implemented? Additionally can i control how many hits ice spear is going to land?
It's actually already implemented! You can toggle it on/off with the active toggle. It also automatically activates with Sun/Electric Terrain or Booster Energy. We even made it so that if a Quark Drive/Protosynthesis mon switches in with Booster Energy as their set item and they don't receive the boost, then it switches to the next highest usage item.
When the boost is active, you'll notice the effected boosted final stat will be colored green (in this case it's the Atk stat). If you hover over the green final stat text a tooltip shows up telling you what boosts are being applied (in this case it's 1.3x Atk boost).
1690116633610.png
And yes we plan to add the ability to set the amount of hits in Patch 1.1.7 (so next next patch)

I know Inteleon doesn't have any other analyses rn, but can you blacklist analyses from certain OMs from appearing in standard format battles (i.e. no AAA in OU through PU/ZU)? This set popped up during a UU battle.
View attachment 526288
Yeah I totally agree and I think that's a great idea, Anything Goes set's definitely shouldn't be appearing outside of that format.
And in general I think it would be great to to choose what formats you want to view in the set dropdown. We'll add a setting to blacklist certain formats. And we also plan to allow rearranging the order of the sets in the dropdown as well, which should help a lot.

Showdex seems to be using the wrong pool for Gen 9 Random Doubles, for Gumshoos it says the set is WallBreaker with either Adaptability or Stakeout, but when cross-referencing with gen9randomdoublesbattle.json there's only shows "Choice item user" with Strong Jaw (which matches with the damage dealt). Strangely enough, the percentages shown next to the abilities and moves are the correct ones.

View attachment 534205
Added console log as txt.
I think this should be fixed in the latest build, but I'll check again to make sure, thanks for letting us know!

Reactions: ITR
May I ask how to prevent this text from appearing, as it always allows my phone input method to be enabledView attachment 535006
Huh I'm guessing this is some kind of accessibility feature like screen reader or something like that maybe.
Sorry for my late response, I don't know if you're still having this problem but I can try to help.
Could you give me a few more details:
  1. Is it iPhone or Android? If Android, what browser are you using?
  2. Do you have any special accessibility features on or anything like that?
  3. Does this only happen with Showdex? When does it happen?

Showdex continues to be nothing short of a remarkable product. But in the interest of continuing to improve it, I am flagging an error in how Showdex currently handles the Supreme Overlord ability.

The dex, in its current state, adjusts the strength of Supreme Overlord in real-time so that if an ally of Kingambit faints, the power of Supreme Overlord updates instantaneously.

In practice, however, Supreme Overlord's multiplier is locked in from the moment you send Kingambit onto the field; if more allies faint after Kingambit has been sent in, Supreme Overlord's multiplier is supposed to remain unchanged.

This came up for me today in an OSDT game where the endgame came down to whether Kingambit's Sucker Punch was strong enough to OHKO a 50% hp Landorus-T. Showdex, believing that Supreme Overlord's multiplier was 1.5x, told me that Sucker Punch was a 100% guarunteed OHKO. In practice however, the multiplier was 1.4x and I was shocked af to see the Landorus-T live on 1% HP.

In this particular game, the calc's inaccuracy didn't actually matter; my win path and voltix's win path were already pretty much decided - it's just that what I thought was a confirmed "gg" was actually a 50/50 gamble that I lost lol. But I did want to flag this as I'm sure this will come up again in the future.
Really appreciate the kind words, it means a lot :tymp:

Wow I didn't even think about the fact that Supreme Overlord shouldn't update after Kingambit enters the field, as I normally play singles where that could never happen. But we'll have it fixed in the upcoming patch, thanks for letting us know, I never would have thought of that :) also that 1% survive on Lando was criminal, so unfortunate lol

How nuanced do you intend to make this? For example, you mention that if a Pokemon deals damage that indicates a Choice Band, you don't want to auto-update their item as you feel that might make the extension a bit too powerful.

But regarding things like sets, if a more objectively confirmable item is implicated (Leftovers, Life Orb etc), why not switch the predicted moveset and stat distribution along with the item? Perhaps knowing a Cinderace is banded after it deals 5% instead of 3% or assuming a Toxapex has assault vest after not taking enough damage is "too much information," but with more confirmable sets I feel like a re-appraisal is in order.

Obviously reaching a point where the extension becomes an AI that makes judgments for the player is problematic but if the monster is obviously scarfed then it shouldn't expect Swords Dance anymore.
So actually we always planned to implement auto set switching, but it sounded like it could get really complicated with a million different checks and exceptions cause Pokemon is like that. So we wanted to figure out a smart reliable way of doing it. If you notice next to the Set's dropdown, there's an "Auto" button that's disabled. That's what it was for lol, we've had it in there forever.

But after doing a lot of research I think we've found a solid way to cover the majority of cases, especially stuff like Leftovers, Life Orb, etc, but we could even switch the set based on revealed moves. So if it's currently a Choice Band set and Swords Dance is revealed, it's safe to assume they're not banded so we should switch to a set that contains Swords Dance.

Now that we've figured out a pretty solid algorithm, we plan to add it soon!

Huh I'm guessing this is some kind of accessibility feature like screen reader or something like that maybe.
Sorry for my late response, I don't know if you're still having this problem but I can try to help.
Could you give me a few more details:
  1. Is it iPhone or Android? If Android, what browser are you using?
  2. Do you have any special accessibility features on or anything like that?
  3. Does this only happen with Showdex? When does it happen?
I am using Android's Kiwi browser and it seems that there are no accessible features enabled. Every time I select a skill, this text will pop up, and a cursor will activate my input method.

Thanks for the report, we're gonna fix it in the upcoming patch we're releasing soon :) I didn't even know about the Tera part so that's super helpful, we'll make sure to include that. I've encountered quite a few Oricorio's in Gen9 Randbats myself.
Thanks a lot for replying! Another more niche point would be sets like in broken cup and hackmons cup. Sometimes when I'm viewing my own mons it simply doesn't show a set even though when I hover over them in showdown I can see the set. I don't think it would be that big of a deal due to broken and hackmons cups not having a ladder(as I'm aware) but would still be really helpful ^_^

Wow thank you, we appreciate the kind words and we're glad you've been enjoying it :)
:D
In terms of changing the Pokemon's form, you should be able to change it for both sides if there are other available formes. You tried clicking on the Pokemon's name like in the screenshot below right? I think maybe I'm not understanding your question, so let me know if it's something else.
Yeah I realized after the fact that I could do that with the opponent's side as well, I guess I made a mistake somewhere and clicked the sprite (which opens SmogDex) instead of the name, that's a bad on my part.
:facepalm:

And in terms of your second point, yes we'll add that in! I noticed that as well with some Mega Pokemon that don't have sets for their base form (cause no one uses it non-Mega). So we'll change it so you can view sets for the transformed form as well if they're holding something like a Mega Stone, Red Orb, etc.
Cool, thank you very much !

I am using Android's Kiwi browser and it seems that there are no accessible features enabled. Every time I select a skill, this text will pop up, and a cursor will activate my input method.
Hmmm okay, what device are you using btw? Is it a tablet? And could you post a full screenshot, that would be helpful.
Also, do you only encounter this issue using Showdex? It's confusing because it seems like it's your device's accessibility feature because that text should only be displayed for people with disabilities who need it (we use a library called Aria that only shows that text when an accessibility feature is enabled).

I can't seem to reproduce the issue on my end so I'm thinking it might be something with your specific setup. So I think you should check thru your accessibility settings and see if anything's enabled (definitely look for anything related to screen reader). Hopefully we can get this fixed!

Thanks a lot for replying! Another more niche point would be sets like in broken cup and hackmons cup. Sometimes when I'm viewing my own mons it simply doesn't show a set even though when I hover over them in showdown I can see the set. I don't think it would be that big of a deal due to broken and hackmons cups not having a ladder(as I'm aware) but would still be really helpful ^_^
Could you provide me with a set or team that wouldn't show up in Calcdex? A screenshot would also be really great as well. I'm not sure why it's not showing up, in those types of formats we allow you to have any ability, IVs/EVs, base stats, etc., so it should work in theory. I might not be understanding the problem correctly though so I'm curious to hear more

:D

Yeah I realized after the fact that I could do that with the opponent's side as well, I guess I made a mistake somewhere and clicked the sprite (which opens SmogDex) instead of the name, that's a bad on my part.
:facepalm:

Cool, thank you very much !
Don't worry, you're not the first! We actually have a setting in the "Interface" section called "Swap Icon/Name Behavior", so you can switch it to work like that if you'd like.

The image below was from a friend's battle. Showdex doesn't seem to be considering Cloud Nine when calculating damage. Apparently the tool considered Protosynthesis prevailing over cloud nine in Roaring Moon choice band damage.

Apparently, Cloud Nine should nullify the extra damage provided by Protosynthesis.

Last edited:
The image below was from a friend's battle. Showdex doesn't seem to be considering Cloud Nine when calculating damage. Apparently the tool considered Protosynthesis prevailing over cloud nine in Roaring Moon choice band damage.

Apparently, Cloud Nine should nullify the extra damage provided by Protosynthesis.

Ohh interesting, thanks for letting us know! We'll look into it :totodiLUL: I wonder if there are any other abilities that can do something similar

Could you provide me with a set or team that wouldn't show up in Calcdex? A screenshot would also be really great as well. I'm not sure why it's not showing up, in those types of formats we allow you to have any ability, IVs/EVs, base stats, etc., so it should work in theory. I might not be understanding the problem correctly though so I'm curious to hear more
Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 8.23.41 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 8.15.16 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 8.18.21 AM.png

Here are some examples of it happening. It's not a huge deal because I can adjust it manually but def would prefer it it could be fixed!

Hmmm okay, what device are you using btw? Is it a tablet? And could you post a full screenshot, that would be helpful.
Also, do you only encounter this issue using Showdex? It's confusing because it seems like it's your device's accessibility feature because that text should only be displayed for people with disabilities who need it (we use a library called Aria that only shows that text when an accessibility feature is enabled).

I can't seem to reproduce the issue on my end so I'm thinking it might be something with your specific setup. So I think you should check thru your accessibility settings and see if anything's enabled (definitely look for anything related to screen reader). Hopefully we can get this fixed!
I am using a Huawei phone, and I checked it again and found that I have not enabled any accessibility features. I really only encountered this issue when using showdex. The following is a complete screenshot (which may contain some Chinese characters). Thank you
Screenshot_20230725_194408.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)