silly inconsequential things that make you like or dislike someone more

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
a couple months ago, i was chatting with a coworker about One Piece and he called himself a Zoro fanboy. i'm ok with Zoro as a character but for some reason in that moment, i sensed something in my brain immediately deducting respect points from his profile in my mental rolodex. and on the other side, i once saw a guy in a crowd wearing a WNBA shirt and instantly felt some good will++ toward him. so i'm curious what are some of the silly inconsequential personalized "green flags" or "red flags" my fellow smogon users have noticed in people... and i mean silly and inconsequential, so not things like bigotry / microaggressions / being nice to wait staff / etc

adding more as i think of them

negative:
- very proud of their spice tolerance
- happy to talk about their ability to wear shorts and flip flops in cold weather
- guy really into learning japanese. im sorry i know this applies to many of you but it instantly activates my asian fetish defense systems sorry

positive:
- is on public transit (i feel an uncontrollable surge of love and good will toward people around me every time i'm on a bus,,)
- used the word "slighted" in a conversation at work
- has worked a service job

Last edited:

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
positive:
- is on public transit (i feel an uncontrollable surge of love and good will toward people around me every time i'm on a bus,,)
What public transport utopia do you live in?! I'm seriously worried about getting stabbed every time I set foot on my local public transport, and that's not an unfounded fear... it's actually very founded. Anyways...

negatives:
bad at geography (as evidenced by the blank stare when you name the place you're from)
excessive use of twitch emotes in verbal conversation

positives:
writes with a fountain pen. i don't do it but i respect you if you do
wears sunglasses outside when it's sunny instead of squinting at stuff. you're doing the right thing for your retinas

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What public transport utopia do you live in?! I'm seriously worried about getting stabbed every time I set foot on my local public transport, and that's not an unfounded fear... it's actually very founded.
the public transit utopia of... los angeles lol. and sure i've had a couple unpleasant experiences with old men trying to touch my leg or find out where i live but ultimately i still love public transit and will use it over driving whenever possible :heart: i haven't witnessed any violence in the 4 years i've used it, so i don't think of it as dangerous
excessive use of twitch emotes in verbal conversation
omg great one, pogs kill me.
negatives: likes dogs
controversial one but i'll get on board! i once went to a friendsgiving party in a small college apartment and i think there were 2 large slobbery, shoe-destroying dogs and 3 small dogs in attendance? ofc, this was not mentioned beforehand because people assume everyone loves being around dogs all night.

As someone who's extremely allergic to dogs, people who just assume that everyone loves being around dogs are among the worst human beings on the face of the planet. Especially those who bring their little hyperactive rats on public transit. The closest I've ever come to experiencing hell on earth was a six-hour flight next to some lady who just had to bring her emotional support poodle in the cabin with her.

positives:

- admits mistakes, especially as soon as they realize it
- people that go out of their way to accurately pronounce the name of someone. so perhaps a spanish person always emphasizes the nee in nicolas (who is also spanish) as opposed to what his peers call him
- good handwriting, mostly bc i lack it and i think it looks pretty

negatives:

- constantly talks about where they went to school even when they're almost 30
- smoking cigarettes
- unironic mention of green bubbles

you must be loving those new youtube ads google has been spamming then eh
i actually haven't seen these. i use YouTube vanced which is a fork of YT premium (at least until it's officially dead) so I don't get mobile ads. I know Google is doing a viral marketing campaign against Apple pushing RCS but without push from legislatures I don't see it going anywhere. It would be great if Apple adopted to improve texting across the board but Tim Apple recently responded "get your mom an iPhone" in response to being asked about this so rip

Apple is to blame for the cult like behavior by people who care about this stuff but I mostly just dislike that green bubbles are "outsiders" and iPhones are seen as a status symbol of wealth / status / etc. Dudes have bought iPhones just to have better chances in the dating game. Shit is dire

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
i’d trust a zoro fanboy far sooner than a sanji

edit:
red flag- major personality facet is beer/weed. I like cracking open a cold one as much as the next guy but man come on

Last edited:

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
bad: i've gathered enough empirical evidence to deduce that there's a 99% chance you're an asshole if you drive a prius

good: i'm a sucker for a good host (like if you invite me to your home)

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
bad:
plays stonewall kickball

good:
plays in just about any other lgbt sports league

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
What public transport utopia do you live in?! I'm seriously worried about getting stabbed every time I set foot on my local public transport, and that's not an unfounded fear... it's actually very founded. Anyways...
we've finally narrowed sijih's location down to either london or glasgow

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Positive:
-talking about how the current ruling generation is running the world into the ground and how they have to be destroyed to create a more equal world for the rest of us
-people who nod with a little glint in there eye when you ask if they've seen a piece of media, indicating that they are indeed familiar with it but are inviting you to continue talking about it
-talking about cooking

Negative:
-getting HYPEEE about unreleased video games in casual real life
-making jokes about coffee, bacon, chocolate / other pastries
-league of legend

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Positive:
-people who nod with a little glint in there eye when you ask if they've seen a piece of media, indicating that they are indeed familiar with it but are inviting you to continue talking about it
positive:
- people who nod with a little glint in their eye when you ask if they’ve seen a piece of media, indicating that they have not seen even a moment of it but are humoring you to keep the conversation going

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Negative:

- constantly speaks in hypotheticals
- loud in all settings
- says anything about their car that's not "I have one"
- chews with their mouth open, esp in the break room or public

Positive:

- talks about their passions / isn't afraid to nerd out
- isn't afraid to drink a fruity drink
- wears shorts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)