Silly Things You've Seen In Other Metagames

We may not have as much to find, but we haven't tapped the mines dry just yet. Observe.
  • (L) Yet another Blaze Kick Blaziken. You know what, I'm gonna stop calling that--it's another Dragon Pulse (/Flamethrower, Dragon Claw, etc.) with the added benefit of a high critical-hit ratio. Nobody wants this thing to go down too easily, especially since it already has HJK.
  • (R) Sash Zebstrika with Bounce. What.
  • (R) Rapidash with Return. Normal coverage is best coverage. [/sarcasm]
  • (L) The end is pretty ho-hum. Forretress explodes to get Huntail in, a SmashPass to Kabutops, game over. Strangely, both players leave before the match officially ends.
Another.
  • (R) Zebstrika guy again. I have not had that happen to me before, huh. Let's see how his opponent fares this time.
  • (L) BP chain featuring Vaporeon with Stored Power. With Espeon, who was famous for that back in the days before BP Clause, also on that team.
  • (R) Klinklang staying in on Vaporeon due to accumulating Shift Gear boosts (and understandably not wanting to give those up), but apparently only having its weak STAB to hurt it with. (As in: a +4 Gear Grind may or may not break Vaporeon's sub after both hits.)
  • (R) Clutch full-para allows Klinklang to finally muscle past Vaporeon, who loses +6 Speed, +2 Defense, and +1 Special Attack.
  • (L) Forfeit, with no apparent backup plan following Vap's drop. Not that I know how to play Baton Pass or anything, but don't you usually have a secondary wincon in case you can't get the pass off or your receiver goes down?
The exact same team (Darkrai, Mega Rayquaza, Kyurem-B, Xerneas, EKiller Arceus, Primal Kyogre) on both sides. Both lead with Darkrai. R's Darkrai wins the speed tie, resulting in a forfeit some turns later. You know, Sleep Talk is a thing, in case this sort of situation happens.

Here, we have:
  • (R) Yet another Ninjask.
  • (L) Illumise with Confuse Ray, Substitute, and Double Team.
  • (R) Taking the pass from Ninjask is...Marowak. With Thunder Punch. Okay? Also had Knock Off, but that's fine.
  • (L) Scolipede passes to Illumise...and now Bonemerang hits.
  • (L) Drifblim comes in when Marowak has shown Knock Off. Do you want to let that thing die? (Possibly, seeing as Scolipede gets a second chance to pass.)
  • (L) Cloyster, who has type advantage on Marowak, sits on the bench until it's the last hope. As in, Galvantula (who easily dies to a Bonemerang) is sent out ahead of it. Ah, but remember how it had Thunder Punch?
  • (L) And so we have a Marowak sweep. Hope you guys enjoy that.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-235751533
Left:
  • Brick Break Primal Groudon. What will it hit that Earthquake doesn't? That Greninja, maybe?
  • Pichu.
  • Not one, but TWO Cosplay Pikachu. The Pop-Star one had both Discharge and Thunderbolt. At least I didn't see Draining Kiss...
  • Not one, but TWO non-Mega Charizard.
Right:
  • Greninja using Hydro Pump twice in Primal Groudon's harsh sunlight.
  • Stupidly losing Lucario vs. Groudon.
  • Aerial Ace Mega Salamence. Ever heard of Aerilate?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-235752328
Left:
  • Mono-Ice team.
  • Brick Break Mega Abomasnow (again?).
  • Dewgong (outclassed by Walrein) with Aqua Ring and Water Sport.
  • Dark Pulse Rotom-F, which at least dealt nice damage vs. Gengar.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-235751533
Left:
  • Brick Break Primal Groudon. What will it hit that Earthquake doesn't? That Greninja, maybe?
  • Pichu.
  • Not one, but TWO Cosplay Pikachu. The Pop-Star one had both Discharge and Thunderbolt. At least I didn't see Draining Kiss...
  • Not one, but TWO non-Mega Charizard.
Right:
  • Greninja using Hydro Pump twice in Primal Groudon's harsh sunlight.
  • Stupidly losing Lucario vs. Groudon.
  • Aerial Ace Mega Salamence. Ever heard of Aerilate?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-235752328
Left:
  • Mono-Ice team.
  • Brick Break Mega Abomasnow (again?).
  • Dewgong (outclassed by Walrein) with Aqua Ring and Water Sport.
  • Dark Pulse Rotom-F, which at least dealt nice damage vs. Gengar.
I could potentially explain the Hydro Pump by him thinking it missed, but it still doesn't explain the fact that he doesn't know that Desolate Land nullifies Water-type attacks.

Also, you forgot two things, both from Right:
  1. Torrent Gren
  2. Calm Mind Luke (Ever heard about Nasty Plot?)
Also, those weird-ass Salamence and Charizard sets.
About the second video, dat Aqua Jet spamming Dewgong (Why even bring Fake Out? It's almost useless unless you're going to Mega Evolve).

Not. Another. Torrent. Greninja.

When are people gonna learn?

And so Jean-Luc here isn't accompanied by two sentences, have another, folks.
  • (R) Is Air Balloon Victini a thing? It does have a Ground weakness, yes, but you have so many better things to be running. Oh, a somewhat competent fully-special Victini with Psychic and Blue Flare. Minus the Balloon. Seems like a lure set that can put in a bit of work.
  • (L) Somebody finally figured out how to use Slaking: Retaliate. The perfect revenge killer. Except R had a Gengar. So...
  • (R) Not switching Gengar into Slaking, since the ghost would most likely get in cleanly.
  • (R) Pikachu. With Volt Tackle and Brick Break. When will they learn.
  • (R) Arcanine with Fire Fang. That's a huge power drop in the name of no recoil, and it's not like Arcanine has the raw stats to make up for it.
  • (L) Dragonite insists on setting up to +2/+2 on Gliscor...and still can't muscle past it. And so Gliscor, the last mon remaining on its side, slowly but surely stalls out the rest of L's team. #StallNotDead

Not. Another. Torrent. Greninja.

When are people gonna learn?

And so Jean-Luc here isn't accompanied by two sentences, have another, folks.
  • (R) Is Air Balloon Victini a thing? It does have a Ground weakness, yes, but you have so many better things to be running. Oh, a somewhat competent fully-special Victini with Psychic and Blue Flare. Minus the Balloon. Seems like a lure set that can put in a bit of work.
  • (L) Somebody finally figured out how to use Slaking: Retaliate. The perfect revenge killer. Except R had a Gengar. So...
  • (R) Not switching Gengar into Slaking, since the ghost would most likely get in cleanly.
  • (R) Pikachu. With Volt Tackle and Brick Break. When will they learn.
  • (R) Arcanine with Fire Fang. That's a huge power drop in the name of no recoil, and it's not like Arcanine has the raw stats to make up for it.
  • (L) Dragonite insists on setting up to +2/+2 on Gliscor...and still can't muscle past it. And so Gliscor, the last mon remaining on its side, slowly but surely stalls out the rest of L's team. #StallNotDead
You forgot Power-Up Punch. Against a Pokémon with a 4x type advantage against it. And said Pokémon also has a 4x Fighting resistance. Also, that Stall at the end is depressing.

I managed to get an easy win in 1v1 by waiting until the timer was at 10 seconds before sending a Pokémon out. The guy either tried to pull the same thing I did, or he didn't notice I sent a Pokémon out. He also had a team of Blastoise, Charizard and Venusaur and sent Venusaur out, even though all the Pokémon in my team (Meloetta, Charizard and Salamence) had a type advantage.

I could potentially explain the Hydro Pump by him thinking it missed, but it still doesn't explain the fact that he doesn't know that Desolate Land nullifies Water-type attacks.

Also, you forgot two things, both from Right:
  1. Torrent Gren
  2. Calm Mind Luke (Ever heard about Nasty Plot?)
Also, those weird-ass Salamence and Charizard sets.
About the second video, dat Aqua Jet spamming Dewgong (Why even bring Fake Out? It's almost useless unless you're going to Mega Evolve).
Bulbapedia says that Protean doesn't activate if the move is blocked by Desolate Land or Primordial Sea. If it used another move, I would have mentioned Torrent.

This just deserves a share. While I don't have a replay, in AG (again lol) there was this guy who was running a Mono-Dragon team. It wouldn't be so bad if he had Dialga or something to cover his huge Fairy/Ice weakness, but he didn't. Also, did I mention this guy had Druddigon?
Edit: More low-ladder AG silliness. Smeargle with... Hone Claws. The guy told me it was to increase accuracy in case Moody dropped it, which seemed pretty fine, but he also didn't realise Coil existed.

Last edited:
That's the trouble with Mat Block: the moment Gren hits the field, the other player knows what's coming. Good luck surviving that turn without having both of your flankers be Fake Out leads (and thus giving up a coverage move or what have you).

Anyway, another one for ya.
  • (R) Xerneas Moonblasts a Cloyster down to a Sash, Cloyster sets up. Turn two, Xern tanks a +2 Icicle Spear and finishes it off with...Thunder. Way to show a move, buddy. (And if it had missed...) And inb4 "predicted switch": Because you're totally going to hard-switch out at 1% and with boosts. I do not call myself a good player by any stretch, and yet even I know that's stupid.
  • (L) Smeargle used for Trick Room setting. That turn Moody lowers accuracy. So it attempts to Spore the Xern before dying...and misses, naturally.
  • (R) Timeout. Which sucks, because this could've been a pretty interesting game, actually.
Here, we have:
  • (L) Hey, Explosion Lando-T, haven't seen you in a while. Alas, the Emergency Nuke Button fails to KO the Azumarill it faced.
  • (L) Ferrothorn with Aerial Ace. Just no.
  • (R) Rotom-Heat Overheat-spamming. Please don't nuke your attack for when you actually need it.
  • (L) Mega Gyarados with Outrage. This isn't Gen V dragon spam anymore, people. And of course it gets one kill. Enter Mawile.
  • (L) Blaziken with Aerial Ace. Now that's just inexcusable.
  • (R) Machamp coming in against Blaziken after it's shown Aerial Ace. Although that ended up being his best switch-in, the other two being Hydreigon and Venusaur.
  • (R) Hydreigon does switch into Weavile, though. Not after a KO, but a hard switch. So it's knowingly switching into an Ice Something. It does live the switch...only to be outsped anyway.
  • (L) Weavile with Beat Up, which it used to cherry-tap Machamp to finish the match. Also had Ice Punch over Icicle Crash, although I have personal experience with that missing at the worst possible time, so I'll give it a pass. Also had a Dread Plate (knocked off).
One more, because why not:
  • (L) Six Mew with Transform. I wouldn't normally watch teams of six anything, but seeing as how Transform allows us to see the other side a lot better, I couldn't pass this up.
  • (R) Primal Kyogre with Avalanche, Blizzard, Aqua Tail, and Brick Break.
  • (R) Conkeldurr apparently not realizing Primordial Sea was still up and using Fire Punch. Which even in clear weather would be a bad move (because type chart).
  • (R) Sableye with Fire Punch and Dark Pulse. That's non-mega Sableye using its base 75 and 65, respectively, attacking stats.
  • (R) Dragonite with Dragon Pulse, Draco Meteor, and Dragon Claw. Gotta love that Dragon/Dragon/Dragon coverage.
  • (R) Deoxys-Attack with Double-Edge.

Last edited:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-237036276
Pretty rude chat, but that's not the only weird thing...
Left:
  • Damp Rock Prankster Riolu which couldn't use Rain Dance thanks to Liepard's Encore. It's not like there are better Prankster rain setters or anything...
  • Shuckle, thinking that its 10 base SpA Infestations will break Liepard's substitutes. Alas, it was hoist by its own petard.
  • King's Rock Azumarill, thinking that an Aqua Jet will deal more damage to a Giratina than a Play Rough weakened by burn. It won't.
  • Of course, people using Ubers Pokémon in AG have "no skill". Be glad it wasn't a SwagPlay Liepard...
Right: Awful username.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-237039455
Left:
  • Special Mega Mewtwo X with both Psychic and Psyshock.
  • Crunch Garchomp, whose Garchompite was revealed after Mewtwo's Mega Evolution.
Right:
  • Cosmic Power + Signal Beam Starmie.
  • Pumpkaboo.
  • Diglett (unused).
  • Psyduck (unused).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-237043111
Left:
  • Bastiodon. Its ability was the best choice for this battle, though.
  • Blaze Kick Mega Blaziken (Flare Blitz exists).
Right: OHKO team.
  • Horn Drill Rapidash. It landed a hit... which didn't reach its goal thanks to a Focus Sash.
  • Mind Reader + Sheer Cold Articuno, with Ice Shard. But Protect and Sturdy ruined its plan.
  • Sheer Cold Primal Kyogre, which landed a hit on Lugia.
  • Rhyperior, certainly with Horn Drill.
  • Dugtrio, certainly with Fissure.
  • Guillotine Gliscor. It could have just used Earthquake on Blaziken but it gambled on a Guillotine hit instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)