Simple Questions/Requests - Mark 48 (Minor Pokemon Trades, Item Requests etc GO HERE) (NO HACKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many berries do you need / still need them?

Tradeback or for keeps? I only have the one but would be totally fine helping you out with your Dex.

PM me if you still need help.
Trade back. In the middle of an SoS chain but if you're around later I could really use your help.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
yeah thanks anyway rolls are useless because they dont increase the odds in a big way they suck
But that's what rolls do... Increase the odds...
Imagine you're rolling a die ('cause we're using the word roll)... You need to roll the number 6 to get a shiny (odds are dramatically worse for a shiny in the game, but work with me here).
On a chain of 0–75, you get one roll. If you land a 6, great; otherwise no shiny for you.
On a chain of 76–255, you get 4 rolls (the initial one, then 3 additional rolls)...

The shiny charm gives you an additional two rolls too. So you end up with 6 attempts to get your shiny. Intuitively, I would say you'd be more likely for a 6 to appear in 6 attempts than in 1...

Going back to in-game odds of shiny, that's.
(Odds of not getting it n times, followed by getting it on the (n+1)th attempt; for n = 0..5):

∑[ (1 - 1/4,096)^n * (1/4,096) ] for n = 0..5
= 6,913,308,277,128,323,071/4,722,366,482,869,645,213,696
≈ .001464 (1 in ~683)

The odds of a shiny with no rerolls (including those you get from the shiny charm) is:
= 1/4,096
≈ .0002441 (1 in 4,096)

Or...

= 6,913,308,277,128,323,071/1,152,921,504,606,846,976
≈ 5.9963 (instead of 6)

times as likely...
Note: Since you would still get the rolls for Shiny Charm, your initial odds are:
∑[ (1 - 1/4,096)^n * (1/4,096) ] for n = 0..1
= 8,191/16,777,216
≈ .0004882 (1 in ~2,048)

So you only get:
= 844,012,730,695,681/281,474,976,710,656
≈ 2.9985 (instead of 3)

times as likely... But it's still an improvement.

Last edited:
But that's what rolls do... Increase the odds...
Imagine you're rolling a die ('cause we're using the word roll)... You need to roll the number 6 to get a shiny (odds are dramatically worse for a shiny in the game, but work with me here).
On a chain of 0–75, you get one roll. If you land a 6, great; otherwise no shiny for you.
On a chain of 76–255, you get 4 rolls (the initial one, then 3 additional rolls)...

The shiny charm gives you an additional two rolls too. So you end up with 6 attempts to get your shiny. Intuitively, I would say you'd be more likely for a 6 to appear in 6 attempts than in 1...

Going back to in-game odds of shiny, that's.
(Odds of not getting it n times, followed by getting it on the (n+1)th attempt; for n = 0..5):

∑[ (1 - 1/4,096)^n * (1/4,096) ] for n = 0..5
= 6,913,308,277,128,323,071/4,722,366,482,869,645,213,696
≈ .001464

The odds of a shiny with no rerolls (including those you get from the shiny charm) is:
= 1/4,096
≈ .0002441

Or...

= 6,913,308,277,128,323,071/1,152,921,504,606,846,976
≈ 5.9963

times as likely...
Note: Since you would still get the rolls for Shiny Charm, your initial odds are:
∑[ (1 - 1/4,096)^n * (1/4,096) ] for n = 0..1
= 8,191/16,777,216

So you only get:
= 844,012,730,695,681/281,474,976,710,656
≈ 2.9985

times as likely... But it's still an improvement.
old system 1 in 512

new system 1 in almost 700

so yes it does increase the odds a bit but not nearly as much as the other system

andn with my rotten luck it will take me around 2100 encounters in the chain but not realy since you dont get the extra rolls til 70

so in 510 encounters you only get extra rolls in 370 of the cases

so the odds are even lower then 1 in almost 700 because that 1 in almost 700 is only 185 times out of 255

dont know the masuda method exact numbers but since they use an simulair system with extra rolls I doubt its 1 in 512 as well

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Masuda Method gives you 6 extra rolls [although I think it only effectively acts as 5, since it doesn't check if the initial roll was shiny...].

I'm not sure what you mean by "other system"; but the one in Gen 6 was no different. The one in Gen 4 did improve the odds, but that was mitigated (to the point of being worse odds overall) by the fact that shinies were 1/2 as likely in that gen to start with.
The game determines the shininess of a Pokémon by checking a formula against the PID and the (TID and SID). Specifically:
(TID ^ SID) ^ ((PID & 0xFFFF) ^ (PID >> 0x10)) < 0x10

All of these things are stored on the Pokémon once it's caught (PID, TID and SID). You could precisely double (etc.) the odds by multiplying the 0x10 by 2 (etc.)... But then the game would need to remember to use a different formula; having to waste some space on the stored Pokémon to note the context to use (whether it was twice as likely, three times as likely, etc.); which would waste space on the save file; as well as be slightly slower each time it showed a shiny Pokémon to go and find this value...

In short, it's just more efficient for the game to use re-rolls than to strictly up the odds; even if you end up with slightly worse odds.
This is quite daft but how do you trade with your friends on festival plaza
  • Enter Festival Plaza.
  • Press the Wi-Fi button to connect to the internet.
  • Click Trade then Link Trade.
    • They'll be in the first list, but have "Friends List" next to their name. If you're both on at the same time, you can then add them as a VIP and they'll appear in a separate list while trading... But I haven't found this to make it any easier.

Edit @Below:
But we're not talking about anywhere near 33%... The difference is the difference (as shown in my last post) between 6 and ~5.9963 [~0.06%]; or 3 and ~2.9985 [~0.05%]. If we were talking about 33%, then yes, I'd agree it was a lot... But we're not even near 0.1% here.

Last edited:
The Masuda Method gives you 6 extra rolls [although I think it only effectively acts as 5, since it doesn't check if the initial roll was shiny...].

I'm not sure what you mean by "other system"; but the one in Gen 6 was no different. The one in Gen 4 did improve the odds, but that was mitigated (to the point of being worse odds overall) by the fact that shinies were 1/2 as likely in that gen to start with.
The game determines the shininess of a Pokémon by checking a formula against the PID and the (TID and SID). Specifically:
(TID ^ SID) ^ ((PID & 0xFFFF) ^ (PID >> 0x10)) < 0x10

All of these things are stored on the Pokémon once it's caught (PID, TID and SID). You could precisely double (etc.) the odds by multiplying the 0x10 by 2 (etc.)... But then the game would need to remember to use a different formula; having to waste some space on the stored Pokémon to note the context to use (whether it was twice as likely, three times as likely, etc.); which would waste space on the save file; as well as be slightly slower each time it showed a shiny Pokémon to go and find this value...

In short, it's just more efficient for the game to use re-rolls than to strictly up the odds; even if you end up with slightly worse odds.

• Enter Festival Plaza.
  • Press the Wi-Fi button to connect to the internet.
  • Click Trade then Link Trade.
    • They'll be in the first list, but have "Friends List" next to their name. If you're both on at the same time, you can then add them as a VIP and they'll appear in a separate list while trading... But I haven't found this to make it any easier.
well if you consider around 33% sligtly less

in my book 33% is a lot

eiter way they made getting shinies harder again and the only method to get them is the most terrible way ever its the most boring and slow way out of all the methods we had and to make it worse they lowered the odds as well.

either way im going til 1200 if i stil dont have it by then im giving up and im getting realy close to that

(Sun/Moon) Looking for female Bagon/Shellgon/Salamance with Moxie. Want to get a competitive Salamance and don't have access to moxie. Happy to trade it, breed it to get a female, then give it back or we can work out a deal. Thanks!

fc 3265.5130.4785
Can you even get moxie on a Bagon? I did an SOS chain for 50 and got a nice IV'd Bagon, but no moxie. Has anyone done it?

any beter way to get shinies aside from sos chaining?

after a chain of 1300 today and over 2000 total just for 1 shiny I am giving up sos chaining.

masuda method isnt an option either since I have over 1500 eggs masuda method and over 10000 total spread over multiple games without a single shiny so thats not an option either

I doubt there is any other way but im getting desperate

any beter way to get shinies aside from sos chaining?

after a chain of 1300 today and over 2000 total just for 1 shiny I am giving up sos chaining.

masuda method isnt an option either since I have over 1500 eggs masuda method and over 10000 total spread over multiple games without a single shiny so thats not an option either

I doubt there is any other way but im getting desperate
What are you even going for? There's a small amount of fixed shinies in games for specific Pokemon.

Additionally, you could Masuda but try checking the ESVs and comparing them to the list already on this site. More likely than just you alone hatching.

What are you even going for? There's a small amount of fixed shinies in games for specific Pokemon.

Additionally, you could Masuda but try checking the ESVs and comparing them to the list already on this site. More likely than just you alone hatching.
I was going for oricoro in todays chain I love the shiny fire version I was chaining the cheerleader one since lower level thus easier but I have the nectar anyway:P

and masuda never again like I said spread over all my pokemon games in over 10000 eggs not a single shiny so im giving up on that masuda just doesnt work for me

and masuda never again like I said spread over all my pokemon games in over 10000 eggs not a single shiny so im giving up on that masuda just doesnt work for me
Do you have the Shiny Charm? If not, get it, and then go back to breeding. Obviously you'll have unlucky stretches, but that doesn't mean it "doesn't work" and you'll have lucky ones too.

Do you have the Shiny Charm? If not, get it, and then go back to breeding. Obviously you'll have unlucky stretches, but that doesn't mean it "doesn't work" and you'll have lucky ones too.
already have it without it im not even trying to get shinies with my luck or rather lack there off

the last time I needed a female gastly it took me 137 tries to get it that was even extreme for me but im never lucky lol

the only method that worked quite well for me with shinies has been chain fishing

Wait, 137 eggs for a female Gastly? Seriously?

I can help you out.
yeah i couldnt believe it myself you have no idea how clsoe i was to smash my game. I never raged about a game so hard as then till around 25 it was funny after that it went annoying realy fast and after 50 I was getting more and more pissed

funny thing was 138 139 and 140 where also all female but still

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)