Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

What's generally better, SD or Curse Scizor?
Curse is used to not lose to certain threats like Coil Zygarde without using gimmick HP Ice which is risky with Weakness Policy being used. It also helps vs :
DD Mega Gyarados without Taunt
Bisharp
SD Mega Mawile without Fire Fang (nobody uses SD+Fire Fang)
SD Mega Scizor: you can also Curse once and slow U-turn out into something like Specs Lele
Mega Pinsir (it has to be a 1vs1 situation)
SD Kartana ((it has to be a 1vs1 situation if Z-Sacred Sword)

If you often lose to these mons and you rarely sweep with Swords Dance, Curse might be the better option.

Barring Floette-E and OG Magearna (which may not be released this gen), Zeraora’s release means that everything has finally been released. I think many people are curious to know if OU will ever do a suspect test again this gen, seeing as what’s currently available will be the OU toolkit into the indefinite future.

Yoshi

All my enemies started out friends
is a Pre-Contributor
Barring Floette-E and OG Magearna (which may not be released this gen), Zeraora’s release means that everything has finally been released. I think many people are curious to know if OU will ever do a suspect test again this gen, seeing as what’s currently available will be the OU toolkit into the indefinite future.
At the current state of the meta, I doubt it. Nothing stands out as broken or unhealthy, and while you could argue Pokemon like Landorus-Therian are centralizing, I think we've talked about enough how getting rid of these Pokemon that the meta seemingly circulates around would cause more problems rather than being beneficial. This is also due to Smogon's tiering policy. On the other hand, you have Pokemon in Ubers. Now personally, I am a firm believer that there is no reason to risk a Pokemon that doesn't seem to be broken on paper to be brought back into the tier to be broken in practice, without good reason. A good reason is that there is a problem in the tier that needs to be fixed, and the best way to fix that problem would be review a Pokemon that has been banned in the past. Outside of that, I don't think there is a reason to unban any Pokemon and from what I understand the majority of the community agrees with that consensus, and we wouldn't even need that right now anyway. Bottom line is, I personally don't think there will be any suspect tests in the current meta (perhaps in the future, depending on how things go), since there's nothing that stands out as broken.

Ok I am looking for a sixth member of a Tornadus-T / Tangrowth Team, including Rocky Helmet Torn, AV Tangrowth, Z-Crystal Greninja, CB Zygarde, and SD Mega Scizor. Does anyone have a good idea for a sixth teammate?

Yoshi

All my enemies started out friends
is a Pre-Contributor
Ok I am looking for a sixth member of a Tornadus-T / Tangrowth Team, including Rocky Helmet Torn, AV Tangrowth, Z-Crystal Greninja, CB Zygarde, and SD Mega Scizor. Does anyone have a good idea for a sixth teammate?
Well at a first glance, you really need a rocker, so I would recommend Landorus-Therian or Clefable. The team is kind of slow, so I would just go with Scarf Rocks Lando-T which honestly I'm not sure if that's a set, I don't really play OU religiously so you'd probably be better off getting an answer from someone else, but I'd go with Lando-T.

Jordy

is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'd go with Clefable here, it's a really reliable rocker, which you desparately need. You could probably go with Wish in the last slot to consistently heal up the members, most notably being Zygarde and Tornadus-T. But, I think Thunder Wave should work fine here too, considering the relatively slow nature of your team.

Mellow

she so bad i let her touch my butt
is a Pre-Contributor
In addition to what Jordy said, Clef also provides you with a Hawlucha check, which this team desperately needs as it can come in on your Tangrowth and consequently 6-0 your team after an SD.

Mellow

she so bad i let her touch my butt
is a Pre-Contributor
Fatter wishes, offensive lures, leftovers? I know the physical bulk difference is staggering but is there nothing? It just makes eviolite seem kind of dumb as a concept.
Chansey rarely runs Wish, and the 5 HP upgrade from Chansey to Blissey really doesn't matter since Chanseys HP stat is massive anyway so the Wish is still gonna be a full heal. The offensive lure Blissey sets just tend to be shitty memes - the closest one to the realm of viability was Icium Z in the Naganadel meta but we only used it because desperate measures. Chansey makes up for no Leftovers with it's much better bulk. Eviolite isn't that good in a lot of cases, it's just amazing on Chansey since it's stats are so comparable defensively to it's evolution.

Fatter wishes, offensive lures, leftovers? I know the physical bulk difference is staggering but is there nothing? It just makes eviolite seem kind of dumb as a concept.
Blissey is able to hold a shed shell, so it can switch out of magma storm + taunt Heatran (this is what it does in Ubers more effectively, as there is more trapping there). Other than that, it's pretty much outclassed in every way by Chansey.

I don't know if this is the correct tread, but i don't find anywere better to ask.

I was reading some smogon dex entries and found something strange on Zygarde 50% Double Dance set. It says "28 Special Defense EVs allow Zygarde to survive Choice Scarf Tapu Lele's Moonblast and two Moonblasts from Tapu Fini, both after Stealth Rock." but then 0 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 160 HP / 28 SpD Zygarde: 200-236 (50.3 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

Can someone explain to me that error ?_?

https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/zygarde/

Jordy

is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don't know if this is the correct tread, but i don't find anywere better to ask.

I was reading some smogon dex entries and found something strange on Zygarde 50% Double Dance set. It says "28 Special Defense EVs allow Zygarde to survive Choice Scarf Tapu Lele's Moonblast and two Moonblasts from Tapu Fini, both after Stealth Rock." but then 0 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 160 HP / 28 SpD Zygarde: 200-236 (50.3 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

Zygarde's analysis is being revamped as we speak so I wouldn't be bothered about it.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/zygarde-revamp-qc-2-3-written.3637088/

I would assume they are referring to the Sitrus Berry option, as that activates at 50%. For Iapapa, however, it would not work.

HCJB

Banned deucer.
Looking to run an Adamant 252 Atk Band Bulu for a new team. I would prefer to run some bulk given that 75 base speed isn't too rocking in the first place. What lower speed investment would be best, or do you have a breakdown of current OU speed benchmarks to hit? Any reason to run 252 speed with Adamant in particular?

Been out of the loop for a little while, would really appreciate the breakdown (especially as I'm thinking of using other slower team members too).

HCJB

Banned deucer.
Thanks for that but that's readily apparent from scrolling down on the sub-forum, and while I'm sure some of the meta trends are on there the meta knowledge of which of those spreads are currently relevant isn't something I have.

I can playtest and find out, and am willing to, but a rough guide of reasons to run 252+Atk/252HP or 252+Atk/252Spe would be appreciated (especially if someone has a recommendation for a speed tier in between). It's obviously better to have some of the elements of your team hit the mark right away so your can test and optimise the more personalised creative elements sooner.

Felixx

I'm back.
Looking to run an Adamant 252 Atk Band Bulu for a new team. I would prefer to run some bulk given that 75 base speed isn't too rocking in the first place. What lower speed investment would be best, or do you have a breakdown of current OU speed benchmarks to hit? Any reason to run 252 speed with Adamant in particular?

Been out of the loop for a little while, would really appreciate the breakdown (especially as I'm thinking of using other slower team members too).
68 Speed EVs is probabaly the bare minimum, lets you outspeed the standard Band Tar spread that runs 176 Speed EVs.

HCJB

Banned deucer.
68 Speed EVs is probabaly the bare minimum, lets you outspeed the standard Band Tar spread that runs 176 Speed EVs.
Cool, thanks for the info. From my experience, Band Superpower can crush steels on the switch, and Band Horn Leech can often fully recover HP after taking a hit - hence some bulk would be good. Band Wood Hammer hits slower threats like a dump truck regardless, with the OHKO on Pex.

I'll play around with it, but I appreciate the starting point.

I was the one who made that spread, as you can see here. It is not an error because the original set used Sitrus Berry which was more used back then. As you can see, 50.3% minrol means Sitrus Berry gets triggered 100% which then puts you at 75% HP to tank another Moonblast. If they get maxroll, you are at 40.6+25=65.6% HP which is enough to tank another high roll Moonblast.

Last edited:
I was the one who made that spread, as you can see here. It is not an error because the original set used Sitrus Berry which was more used back then. As you can see, 50.3% minrol means Sitrus Berry gets triggered 100% which then puts you at 75% HP to tank another Moonblast. If they get maxroll, you are at 40.6+25=65.6% HP which is enough to tank another high roll Moonblast.
Thank you for the explanation. Because of the Iapapa it realy apear to be an error.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)