Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Hey guys quick question,

Hidden Power Ice or Fire on Tapu Koko? I'm leaning towards Ice but Fire doesn't sound bad either.

I find Mega Scizor to be adequate in handling both Mega Metagross and Tapu Lele, and Ash Greninja can be handled by quite a few different Pokemon, the most notable one that fits on offense well being Tapu Fini. I'm fairly new to this whole smogon thing, so excuse me if this is inaccurate information.
I like Mega Scizor as a check to Metagross and non-Specs Ash Greninja, but Specs Gren 2HKOs with Hydro Pump and Tapu Lele tend to run HP Fire, since Psychic Terrain blocks Bullet Punch.

AV Magearna seems like the best check to Tapu Lele, since it almost always avoids a 4HKO from Lele, and has offensive presence and can pivot with Volt Switch. AV Muk is pretty good too, but it takes a lot from Moonblast. It has pursuit though, so it can actually trap Tapu Lele instead of just forcing it out.

Tapu Fini is pretty much the best defensive Ash-Greninja check, unless I'm forgetting something. You can check it offensively with things like Pheromosa that force it out, though.

Hey guys quick question,

Hidden Power Ice or Fire on Tapu Koko? I'm leaning towards Ice but Fire doesn't sound bad either.
Hey, I have personally been using fire on my life orb koko and it has been very nice, I don't think I would trade it for ice as it feels more safe, But this is based on my team composition.

I've seen some folks say that Pheromosa is not broken/ban-worthy at all with varies of reason here and there.
If that's the case, would we potentially see a suspect to unban Deoxys (Any form) if that's the case? I ask this since if Pheromosa isn't Ubers only worthy, then why keep somethin' that has rather similar stats and moverpool in 2 difference tiers?
Or is OU still not done cleanin' up the "unacceptable" power crept Mons yet?

There is a magnitude of difference between what Pheromosa and the offensive Deoxys forms do to the OU tier. Deoxys has coverage that Pheromosa would drool over, while being stronger and basically as fast. Pheromosa's dual STABs have serious issues with 4 monotypes, and it generally has trouble breaking some prominent defensive mons like Toxapex. It's a good pivot and cleaner for offense, Deoxys is a far-too-potent wallbreaker and sweeper.

Quick question.
I was thinking of doing a steel-dragon-fairy core and see tapu fini. Is misty terrain affect non-grounded dragon pokemon like, salamence, halving its dragon type moves?

Quick question.
I was thinking of doing a steel-dragon-fairy core and see tapu fini. Is misty terrain affect non-grounded dragon pokemon like, salamence, halving its dragon type moves?
All terrains are protective, meaning grounded pokemon don't deal half damage, they take half damage. Salamence will deal half damage with its dragon moves on grounded pokemon, but full damage to flying/levitating pokemon. And a grounded dragon-type like Garchomp like do the same: full to fliers, half to grounded pokemon.

Vertex Azumarill is ok but Suffers from the continued legality of Tapu lele (Shuts down aqua jet) and Struggles to get past Toxapex. both of these Mons are fairly common. That said Azu still functions well as a belly drum sweeper with Pursuit Support to take out tapu lele. CB is Meh right now. Tapu Fini also does the bulky water/Fairy job better then Azu

Dont have a mence Team on me but the varient everyone is using is Z-fly Moxie. Its other sets are still bad in OU but Z-fly is fantastic.

Just personal Opinion but Zygarde 10% is just hype right now. I've barely seen it and in the current meta theres usally better stuff to run but time will tell

there are some things i haven't used in sun/moon and i don't want to waste my time with trash 'mons. some questions:

how good is azumarill in the current metagame?
i actually haven't used mence yet. anyone got a solid team for me?
lastly, is zygarde-10% good or is it all hype?
Z fly Mence is absolutely savage, especially when paired with Maggy. Unfortunately I don't have import data because I'm on my phone, but a team comprised of Mence, Specs Mag, AV Alola-Muk, Tapu Fini, Mega Scizor, and Rocky Helm Lando has gotten me to the 1500s.

Heated Flux

Banned deucer.
HI all,

Is there a damage calculator for self-inflicted confusion damage?
It's a 40 BP type-less attack unless I'm mistaken, so just plug in a move that damages your pokemon neutrally into the damage calculator and change its base power to 40.
i actually haven't used mence yet. anyone got a solid team for me?
Salamence+Magnezone+Mega Pinsir+Scarf Drill+Ash-Greninja+SR user was something that I saw a couple times on ladder.

Last edited:
-why is everybody playing with legendarys?/teams without legendarys don't excise?
-why are there no sun/moon-only teams? Pokebank feature isn't released for those games now, so have to work with sun/moon only stuff.
-is there any good beginner team, that includes only sun/moon? (I wanna farm the EV items,but I need a solid foundation)
-Who makes the different tier lists?
-what is a good core? How many tanks do I need? Spinner required?
-why are some things banned? Is Pokémon not balanced?

-why is everybody playing with legendarys?/teams without legendarys don't excise?

Legendary is just a name given to specific Pokemon. It doesn't actually have an impact in a battle so people don't consider it while building a team.

-why are there no sun/moon-only teams? Pokebank feature isn't released for those games now, so have to work with sun/moon only stuff.

Pokebank will be out soon, so most people don't care too much for pre-bank. See below.

-is there any good beginner team, that includes only sun/moon? (I wanna farm the EV items,but I need a solid foundation)

You can get an idea of what people are using here.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/sm-ou-teams.409/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-ou-bazaar.3587317/

I'd also suggest trying things out on Pokemon Showdown before starting to build a team in-game, as its much less time consuming than trying to change sets / spreads on cartridge.

-Who makes the different tier lists?

Tier list are dependant on how much usage a Pokemon sees in each tier. An OU Pokemon must see use on at least 3% of teams (at a certain skill level) or it drops to UU.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ge-statistics-discussion-thread-mk-3.3591776/

-what is a good core? How many tanks do I need? Spinner required?

Depends on what you want to build and what you're adding. Certain Pokemon require different kinds of support in order to function and every team should be able to overcome certain threats.
If you're looking for cores - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-good-cores.3591999/
Where to start for a threatlist - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-ou-viability-ranking-thread.3590726/

-why are some things banned? Is Pokémon not balanced?

Not even close. Some things, like Zygarde-Complete, Primal Groudon, and Mega Gengar, are way above the power level that most Pokemon can compete at. They get banned in order to create a more balanced and competitive environment. If you want to use a banned Pokemon, you should check out Ubers, where almost everything is unbanned.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/sm-ubers.390/
Replies in bold.

Will the release of the SM bank testing involve another look at Blaziken?

I'm fully aware of how powerful the chicken can be; but as the meta-game shapes up it's looking more and more like SM shook things up enough that Blaziken may not be as much of a powerhouse as in previous gens.

Much of the initial crux of sending Blaziken / Mega-Blaziken to ubers was like many powerful mons' - not knowing which set it was going to be running.

The Baton Pass set has since been banned out of the meta-game and with the changes SM brought about (including the surge in Fairy usage across the board) Fighting-Type STAB coverage while strong, is no longer as powerful as it used to be, especially so on a mon' whose primary STAB has traditionally been HJK.

This of course still leaves Blaziken / Mega-Blaziken as a potentially powerful Sweeper, Set-up Sweeper or Wall-breaker but with its move-pool remaining pretty average at best, as well as Z-Moves making Protect no longer as safe as it used to be - I think there's at least enough to warrant some further testing.

Will the release of the SM bank testing involve another look at Blaziken?

I'm fully aware of how powerful the chicken can be; but as the meta-game shapes up it's looking more and more like SM shook things up enough that Blaziken may not be as much of a powerhouse as in previous gens.

Much of the initial crux of sending Blaziken / Mega-Blaziken to ubers was like many powerful mons' - not knowing which set it was going to be running.

The Baton Pass set has since been banned out of the meta-game and with the changes SM brought about (including the surge in Fairy usage across the board) Fighting-Type STAB coverage while strong, is no longer as powerful as it used to be, especially so on a mon' whose primary STAB has traditionally been HJK.

This of course still leaves Blaziken / Mega-Blaziken as a potentially powerful Sweeper, Set-up Sweeper or Wall-breaker but with its move-pool remaining pretty average at best, as well as Z-Moves making Protect no longer as safe as it used to be - I think there's at least enough to warrant some further testing.
The release of SM bank should have no bearing on having a look at Blaziken, as all it adds are a few exclusive moves to Kanto evolutionary lines from RBY (and very few viable moves if any at that).

Blaziken can't SD+speed pass but it can still speed pass, which will probably have it remain too much for OU for the forseeable future. Even if Baton Pass as a whole is banned, Blaziken is probably as difficult to check as ever, if not more so than last gen with Talonflame getting nerfed out of the picture and Azumarill really falling out of favor. Blaziken can also benefit from Z-moves, and it can run Z-Solar Beam to dick a lot of the bulky waters that used to check it, like you think Tapu Fini would be a hard counter, but it's not, it only needs a small amount of prior damage to be KO'd by Bloom Doom.

chicken is just too good (also we've already been playing the post-bank meta for awhile now so its release won't impact anything.)

Scolipede moved up in the Viability ranking thread, and one of the points cited was the SD set being able to break Grounds with +2 Hydro Vortex. What Water move does Scolipede use with the Waterium-Z to do so?

Scolipede moved up in the Viability ranking thread, and one of the points cited was the SD set being able to break Grounds with +2 Hydro Vortex. What Water move does Scolipede use with the Waterium-Z to do so?
Aqua Tail. I don't think there's any other Water-type move Scoli can learn, but at least, Aqua Tail's the best one for sure.

Edit: Confirming Aqua Tail is the only Water-type move that Scoli has access to.

Maybe unrelated to the current meta, but why was mega scizor so popular last gen when it is doing more or less the same thing as it is without a mega stone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)