Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

I imagine SR is not being tested because it's not broken at all and the idea of getting rid of it is ludicrous. We also have more tools to deal with it than in Gens IV (which is considered a good and healthy meta btw) and V where it could actually be considered a problem because the counterplay is much more limited. Spikes stacking is seen as more of a problem in V anyway because it does more damage and spinblocking is so easy.

People are just being bitchy. It enhances the strategy of game, not limit it.
This is why we need win rate stats. One person says it's broken and another doesn't. It'd be much easier if we had something like "teams with sr vs teams without sr result in the sr team winning 65% of the time at the top of the ladder". In that scenario I would ban sr considering that's pretty high and probably higher than some banned Pokémon win rates.

It'd make debating whether to ban things a heck of a lot easier

This is why we need win rate stats. One person says it's broken and another doesn't. It'd be much easier if we had something like "teams with sr vs teams without sr result in the sr team winning 65% of the time at the top of the ladder".
What data? (Next to) no one at high ladder or playing in tournaments is going to bring a team without a SR setter, and chances are that any teams that do get brought are going to be some heatah fajita dogshit for some giggles, Baton Pass (doesn't really care about hazard pressure), or some stall that wins through pure PP stall (unviable). Even if we could get win rates of SR vs SRless matchups, it means nothing if that data is totally irrelevant in the terms of competitive play and how teams are actually built.

As for actual ban discussion, http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/can-we-talk-about-stealth-rock.3585730/

Yeah I meant pre gen 7. Are you sure this has all of the new additions? Because people in the thread seem to have been complaining that it was incomplete...
http://pastebin.com/zyLkAFbs This is the most comprehensive list, but it also includes changes to the level of the learned move (eg. Sceptile learns dual chop at lv1 now instead of level 36 and its included even though its not a new move). Regardless I'm pretty sure the thread I linked has all the new additions, since the op was constantly updated with any confirmed new ones mentioned in the replies.

What data? (Next to) no one at high ladder or playing in tournaments is going to bring a team without a SR setter, and chances are that any teams that do get brought are going to be some heatah fajita dogshit for some giggles, Baton Pass (doesn't really care about hazard pressure), or some stall that wins through pure PP stall (unviable). Even if we could get win rates of SR vs SRless matchups, it means nothing if that data is totally irrelevant in the terms of competitive play and how teams are actually built.

As for actual ban discussion, http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/can-we-talk-about-stealth-rock.3585730/
Accidentally deleted both of my posts instead of one.

Anyway:

Why would the data be irrelevant? If every top team uses sr then just lower the weighting down to 1675 from 1825.

>chances are blah blah

Can your prove that? That's why we should check. All these assumptions are pointless when checking shouldn't be too hard. We just need the stats guy on board. We can talk about the data being relevant/irrelevant once we actually have it

What Pokemon can learn a new move that they couldn't learn before in the previous gens?

Ex: Mantine learning Roost and Bibarel learning Swords Dance

I'm hearing that Autotomize Celesteela is strictly inferior to Magearna, yet I want to run an offensive build of Celesteela to benefit from those beautiful Heavy Slams. How should I approach it? Adamant or Jolly? Choice Band, Scarf, or Life Orb? etc.

I really want to use an offensive Celesteela but don't want to use a set that another Poke can do strictly better.

Thanks!

Are z move affected by abilities? Example MPinsir using z move return, would that be a flying move or just the normal z move

Are z move affected by abilities? Example MPinsir using z move return, would that be a flying move or just the normal z move
Mega Pinsir can't hold a Z-stone; but to answer your question, it goes by the move's original type as shown in the moves section. Hidden Power is always Normal for this same reason.

For those who happen to be playing under either Chinese language option: what is the breadth of naming options available?

Mega Pinsir can't hold a Z-stone; but to answer your question, it goes by the move's original type as shown in the moves section. Hidden Power is always Normal for this same reason.
Ah good point. Just was theorizing if an A-Golem's z explosion would be electric

Does anyone know how Pyukumuku's Innards Out interacts with an opponent's substitute? Will the substitute take damage on behalf of the target, or will the damage go straight to the target (while leaving the substitute in tact)?

i know synchronize works weird with sos battles (sync needs to be on field when the pokemon shows up, takes nature of first party member regardless of what ability that member has) but are there any changes to how it works in initial encounters?

I have looked EVERYWHERE, is there an Ash-Greninja analysis anywhere besides "pre-release discussion"? If not, can anybody suggest some movesets/natures? I want to redeem him soon but only get to pick one nature!

Thanks!

Is there any point running Wild Charge on a mixed Tapu Koko to get around special walls?
If you're worried about special walls with Tapu Koko you could simply run Taunt or Volt Switch/U-Turn and wear them down like that. Nature's Madness and Grass Knot could sure help in wallbreaking too.

I have looked EVERYWHERE, is there an Ash-Greninja analysis anywhere besides "pre-release discussion"? If not, can anybody suggest some movesets/natures? I want to redeem him soon but only get to pick one nature!

Thanks!
Well i have not used it but logically if i were to use Greninja with Battle Bond i would use water and dark type moves on it since this is where it hits much harder than Protean Greninja.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Water Shuriken

Max speed to outspeed Tapu Koko, stab and Water Shuriken cause it hits faster threats like Choice Scarf Genesect, Landorus-T, Pheromosa etc pretty hard. And Gunk Shot to hit Tapu Fini, Tapu Bulu etc because they resist to both stabs. What do you think?

Thanks!

Here u go: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ash-greninja.3588500/

Edit: worth noting above that a-gren can't learn Gunk Shot... Not yet anyway, and Gunk Shot is less useful when you don't benefit from Protean's STAB

I've been using this Tangrowth set on OU recently to great success on a balance team.

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Fire

Tangrowth is a really good pivot in the current meta I think because it does an alright job of walling many threats in the meta. Interested as to what your guys thoughts on this are. Do you feel like Tangrowth is a worthy Pokemon of being used in the OU meta.

If you're worried about special walls with Tapu Koko you could simply run Taunt or Volt Switch/U-Turn and wear them down like that. Nature's Madness and Grass Knot could sure help in wallbreaking too.

Well i have not used it but logically if i were to use Greninja with Battle Bond i would use water and dark type moves on it since this is where it hits much harder than Protean Greninja.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Water Shuriken

Max speed to outspeed Tapu Koko, stab and Water Shuriken cause it hits faster threats like Choice Scarf Genesect, Landorus-T, Pheromosa etc pretty hard. And Gunk Shot to hit Tapu Fini, Tapu Bulu etc because they resist to both stabs. What do you think?
Here u go: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ash-greninja.3588500/

Edit: worth noting above that a-gren can't learn Gunk Shot... Not yet anyway, and Gunk Shot is less useful when you don't benefit from Protean's STAB
Thank you both! Your responses and that link helped me decide.

One last question - I like to be polite so I wanted to thank you both, but I noticed most people don't. should I avoid thank-yous because they clutter the thread?

I'm not sure where to post this in the forums:
I'm building a OU pokebank team for wifi battling and I have 5 mos, I'm just not sure what would work in for the 6th.
And I don't see a RMT for S/M, just ORAS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)